Vassago news announcement- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Vassago news announcement

mtbr member
    Maybe he read the Black Friday thread, and decided to get their **** together. I love their frames, but the way the company has been run has been bad at best. Its good to hear his daughter is doing well. I feared the worst when he left the company in 2009.

Hopefully this will be great for the company.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Huh. Wonder what that means to the Black Label stuff? The axe, I bet. $$$ does not always go along well with underground, small, and grassroots.

We shall see. That Jabber is still a super value and fun bike to own, even if it has been replaced in my garage by a new SS ride.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, I hope he keeps the new "trade Up" program too. IMO, that was a great idea. I was planning on taking advantage of it soon. And I wonder what will now happen with the "forever-in-the-making" Chupacabbra?
    Enjoy the ride!

get down!
    This is good news
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Lets hope they get this turned around. I just picked up a Bander and I'd hate to lose any support or backing if something goes bad.
    The LBS I support - www.atownbikes.net

Apr 2007
    Eager to see what happens. But I'm guessing not too much will change (as far as product line goes).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid
    Yeah, I hope he keeps the new "trade Up" program too. IMO, that was a great idea. I was planning on taking advantage of it soon. And I wonder what will now happen with the "forever-in-the-making" Chupacabbra?
    Does anyone know if the trade up program is for original owners only?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Interesting. I do like my jabber, but I'd like to see the model evolve. Hopefully this helps.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping for the best on this as well. I had such a bad experience with their Tradeup program (took from early Sep through mid Dec to get it done). Should have just sold my old frame myself.

I really like my new traded-up Jabber though so definitely hope they will get their customer service act together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I can understand letting the sales team go, seems last yr the frames were only offered through huck n roll as previously was offered buy more LBS that got their name out faster. Went backwards if you ask me. I hope they do plan to distribute and sell to more bike shops as well as keeping good products and price down.

MTBR Member
    Got that email this morning as well. Probably a good move on their part. Hopefully, they can turn around the brand.

The Hutch
    now I'll never get a odis fork.

29 TO LIFE

Good News Indeed

I had a falling out with the sales/customer service dept a few months ago because of the lack of support and vowed to sell my two bikes. I hope it goes back to the way it was. I know this isn't the classified section but I still have my 2010 medium Optimus ti and medium black jabber with matching Odis fork if there is any interest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Good 'ol Horatio Hornblower back at the helm of the Indefatigable..now, about those gearplugs..
    Last edited by Moozh; 01-07-2011 at 09:37 PM.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by bzo75
    I had a falling out with the sales/customer service dept a few months ago because of the lack of support and vowed to sell my two bikes. I hope it goes back to the way it was. I know this isn't the classified section but I still have my 2010 medium Optimus ti and medium black jabber with matching Odis fork if there is any interest.
    sent you a PM

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh
    Good 'ol Horacio Hornblower back at the helm of the Indefatigable..now, about those gearplugs..
    Want gearplugs...

mtbr member
    I hope he gets in there and turns it around. I understand his leaving as family is first, but I can also imagine it was hard for him to watch his company get thrashed here on the boards.....
    I love my jabber and wish them the best!

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder
    Want gearplugs...
    I do Gearplugs2

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    I do Gearplugs2
    You have them or want them? I would have just gotten a Bander but they didn't have my size. Now with availability suspended I'm thinking I won't get them for a long time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Probably wants to replace his sales staff with folks who'll actually talk to customers and respond to their emails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    heard the customer service was pretty cruddy so i didnt bother with there stuff...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    Does anyone know if the trade up program is for original owners only?
    I don't think you had to show an original receipt. I spoke with James twice about it, and walked away with the understanding that you fill out a form and send it to them, they contact you/send you an RA number, you ship your frame back and they ship a new one to you at half price. He did mention that you could also change sizes and/or models (i.e. return a Bander, get a Jabber). Obviously, that didn't apply to the Optimus Ti though.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    I don't think you had to show an original receipt. I spoke with James twice about it, and walked away with the understanding that you fill out a form and send it to them, they contact you/send you an RA number, you ship your frame back and they ship a new one to you at half price. He did mention that you could also change sizes and/or models (i.e. return a Bander, get a Jabber). Obviously, that didn't apply to the Optimus Ti though.
    Awesome...thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Not to sure about this one.......

While the investors are happy, I feel that the company's success has lost the small, grassroots, underground feel that I originally intended.

So, effective January 3rd 2011, all model availability is on hold and unavailable until we reevaluate the company structure and our priorities here at Vassago. Also, I have removed my current sales staff so calls will be routed directly to one of only three of us who remain on staff during this transition back to our roots.

This is how is letter translates in my mind.

-Yes of course the investors are happy. We sell a ton of frames and we sell a ton of frames cause they are inexpensive frames, that ride nicely for the buck. You can also build a semi custom bike for good price.....

-Yes most company's loose that grass roots feeling cause they start making more and more money and keep shooting for bigger and better goals.

- We are holding off on bikes cause we have no idea how many we have sitting in the warehouse. My employees can't stay focused during the work day and just ride there bikes around the warehouse all day.

I wish Vassago well cause they have effin cool bikes.

29 TO LIFE

We Have Been Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66
    Not to sure about this one.......

While the investors are happy, I feel that the company's success has lost the small, grassroots, underground feel that I originally intended.

So, effective January 3rd 2011, all model availability is on hold and unavailable until we reevaluate the company structure and our priorities here at Vassago. Also, I have removed my current sales staff so calls will be routed directly to one of only three of us who remain on staff during this transition back to our roots.

-Yes of course the investors are happy. We sell a ton of frames and we sell a ton of frames cause they are inexpensive frames, that ride nicely for the buck. You can also build a semi custom bike for good price.....

-Yes most company's loose that grass roots feeling cause they start making more and more money and keep shooting for bigger and better goals.

- We are holding off on bikes cause we have no idea how many we have sitting in the warehouse. My employees can't stay focused during the work day and just ride there bikes around the warehouse all day.

I wish Vassago well cause they have effin cool bikes.
    Is this insider information? It makes a lot of sense if it is.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder
    You have them or want them? I would have just gotten a Bander but they didn't have my size. Now with availability suspended I'm thinking I won't get them for a long time.
    Want one so if anyone has one pm me

mtbr member
    Is this insider information? It makes a lot of sense if it is.
    Doesn't sound like it since he said "This is how is letter translates in my mind."

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    Want one so if anyone has one pm me
    I even started a thread on this earlier so I too would appreciate a similar PM.

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004
    Unfortunately, when I hear things something like "all model availability is on hold and unavailable until we reevaluate the company structure and our priorities here at Vassago. Also, I have removed my current sales staff so calls will be routed directly to one of only three of us who remain on staff during this transition back to our roots" it reads more like "we don't have the current funds to pay our debts so can't get product shipped to us, and by cutting our employees we hope to get a little more capital to stay afloat for a few more months.

I love my Optimus Ti, but that just doesn't read like a positive thing at all.
    My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

banned
    Glad to hear daughter is doing better.

Enjoyin' life....
    Quote Originally Posted by neveride
    Unfortunately, when I hear things something like "all model availability is on hold and unavailable until we reevaluate the company structure and our priorities here at Vassago. Also, I have removed my current sales staff so calls will be routed directly to one of only three of us who remain on staff during this transition back to our roots" it reads more like "we don't have the current funds to pay our debts so can't get product shipped to us, and by cutting our employees we hope to get a little more capital to stay afloat for a few more months.

I love my Optimus Ti, but that just doesn't read like a positive thing at all.

Yeah, when that email showed up, I had similar thoughts. A message like that reeks of cash flow problems in any industry I can think of.
    Wally

mtbr member
    I had to provide a copy of a receipt from my "vendor" (Bike29). I traded in my Bander for a Jabber. Took forever - a couple of months as I posted earlier with almost zero communication. Hopefully this will change...

If you think you can get $249 on ebay for your frame, you're better off doing that and then buying a new one. Wish that's what I would have done.

mtbr member
    At least they're finally acknowledging their issues and trying to do something about it. It was inevitable that they hit the wall (cashflow, customer dissatisfaction, etc.)

I truly hope they can recover as I really like their products and my interactions with them last year for my initial Bander purchase were very positive. I know how incredibly difficult and challenging it is to start/run your own business having done that for many years.

But in order to regain their customer's trust, it is critical that they open up the communication lines.

We'll all see, won't we?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Boy I sure hope that's not the case, I'm hoping to build a new bike for this season and the Bandersnatch is my leading frame choice.

Gary
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I'm hoping to build a new bike for this season and the Bandersnatch is my leading frame choice.
    Me too but with a jabber. im gonna have my fingers crossed.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Stick a fork in it. Done. Most people read that and realize that it's over for them. You fire your sales staff and its over folks. Fold.

Vassago never made any of their own stuff anyway. They were a company that stuck stickers on stuff that they had welded overseas. Easy come, easy go.

Glad I never bought one!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Is "Wet Cat" Geometry in jeopardy?

mtbr member
    hope they can turn things around, much respect for jabberwocky frame!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    Stick a fork in it. Done. Most people read that and realize that it's over for them. You fire your sales staff and its over folks. Fold.

Vassago never made any of their own stuff anyway. They were a company that stuck stickers on stuff that they had welded overseas. Easy come, easy go.

Glad I never bought one!
    Mr. Positivity we have here

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    Mr. Positivity we have here
    Well, I feel sorry for the dealers with unsold Vassagos on their sales floor or customers who will run into warranty issues in the future. That's who gets left holding the bag.

There are a number of smaller bike shops who have been able to carve out a nice niche for themselves catering to 29er riders, SS etc. These are also the same shops that have to compete against larger bike shops carrying more well known brands. Having a small bike frame company like Vassago throw in the towel will give alot of potential customers pause in deciding on other small frame companies too. They could go down the street and buy a Giant, Gary Fisher or whatever and never have to worry about a warranty issue or future support.

I was left holding the bag on an Ibis over 10 years ago. I'm still bitter about it. I imagine alot of Titus owners feel the same way.

This kind of thing happens on a regular basis in business. Just the nature of the beast. People quit stuff all the time. Just. Walk. Away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i hope that isnt the case...

mtbr member
    Well, I feel sorry for the dealers with unsold Vassagos on their sales floor or customers who will run into warranty issues in the future. That's who gets left holding the bag.
    I don't know about you, but... if I bought a $500 frame from a shop like huck-n-roll, I'd expect to deal with them on any issues up front, and if anything happened after the first 5 or 6 months, I'd write it off. You get what you pay for, and $500 doesn't pay for very much. If I want reassurance of future warranty work, I'll buy big-box mega-manufacturer bikes, which aren't any better, anyway.

The difference between a $500 Vassago frame and a $1500 Fisher or Specialized frame is that you're paying for the replacement frame upfront. If you never need it, the company just makes that much more profit off you. You could buy two replacement Vassagos for the price of one Fisher, so I figure if you only need to replace it once you're still ahead.

I look at the purchase of a low cost frame with no expectation of a warranty replacement vs buying an expensive frame with a good warranty as the difference between being self-insured vs joining an HMO. If you don't expect the frame to break in the first place (it's steel, for crying out loud) why pre-pay for the replacement?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge
    I don't know about you, but... if I bought a $500 frame from a shop like huck-n-roll, I'd expect to deal with them on any issues up front, and if anything happened after the first 5 or 6 months, I'd write it off. You get what you pay for, and $500 doesn't pay for very much. If I want reassurance of future warranty work, I'll buy big-box mega-manufacturer bikes, which aren't any better, anyway.

The difference between a $500 Vassago frame and a $1500 Fisher or Specialized frame is that you're paying for the replacement frame upfront. If you never need it, the company just makes that much more profit off you. You could buy two replacement Vassagos for the price of one Fisher, so I figure if you only need to replace it once you're still ahead.

I look at the purchase of a low cost frame with no expectation of a warranty replacement vs buying an expensive frame with a good warranty as the difference between being self-insured vs joining an HMO. If you don't expect the frame to break in the first place (it's steel, for crying out loud) why pre-pay for the replacement?
    for an entry level $100 frame I might agree with you, but $500 isn't an insignificant amount of money and puts them squarely in the mid range, enthusiast level. Most people absolutely expect service and warranties for that kind of purchase and are justified in thinking so, especially since there are other companies who sell frames for that or even cheaper and still offer customer service

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Way too much speculation on this forum, why not wait and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    for an entry level $100 frame I might agree with you, but $500 isn't an insignificant amount of money and puts them squarely in the mid range, enthusiast level. Most people absolutely expect service and warranties for that kind of purchase and are justified in thinking so, especially since there are other companies who sell frames for that or even cheaper and still offer customer service
    I'm not saying that $500 is insignificant. I'm just saying that you can get two $500 frames from Vassago, or one $1500 frame and one free frame from Fisher or Specialized or whoever. You come out ahead with two cheaper frames that are bought separately rather than one expensive frame and one free replacement, and if you don't need the second frame, you come out even further ahead.

mtbr member
    I'm not saying that $500 is insignificant. I'm just saying that you can get two $500 frames from Vassago, or one $1500 frame and one free frame from Fisher or Specialized or whoever. You come out ahead with two cheaper frames that are bought separately rather than one expensive frame and one free replacement, and if you don't need the second frame, you come out even further ahead.
    interesting idea, but that doesn't hold for the people like me for whom a single $500 frame might be the upper end of their budget. My Inbred only cost me $230 and even though that is quite cheap for a decent frame I wouldn't dream of throwing money at a replacement unless On One or the dealer refused a warranty replacement.

mtbr member
    interesting idea, but that doesn't hold for the people like me for whom a single $500 frame might be the upper end of their budget. My Inbred only cost me $230 and even though that is quite cheap for a decent frame I wouldn't dream of throwing money at a replacement unless On One or the dealer refused a warranty replacement.
    Well, d'uh, of course you wouldn't buy one if you could get a warranty replacement.

Actually, I get your point, I agree completely. I just wouldn't let the lack of a warranty stop me from buying a Vassago. In fact, I've been considering buying one and will very likely go through with it now, as I'm thinking they may become more popular if they become unavailable.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Well, there are quite a few options in this price range. You have Surly, OS Bikes, Singular, Salsa, On-One, Kona etc.

The reduction in workforce seems to indicate financial problems but only time will tell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Huh. Wonder what that means to the Black Label stuff? The axe, I bet. $$$ does not always go along well with underground, small, and grassroots.

We shall see. That Jabber is still a super value and fun bike to own, even if it has been replaced in my garage by a new SS ride.
    I wonder about the Black Label stuff too. It was my understanding that these "Evil minions" that were going to be making these frames are Vassago employees working in a Vassago owned facility with Vassago owned tooling/equipment. They weren't to be made in someone else's plant with a Vassago label put on them.

If you've invested that kind of cash in people, facitlites and equipment it seems like a pretty extreme decision to put everything on hold or cancel it altogether. Things must be really eff'd up.

Apr 2007

Glad I never bought one!
    Firing your staff does not necessarily mean they're going under. Although I agree it doesn't look good, they could actually be trying to start fresh with a new staff. Obviously (per the Black Friday thread), the current staff wasn't getting it done. I highly doubt anything will happen to them.

Also, aside from custom and uber expensive frames, most of the other companies' frames are also made elsewhere.
    Last edited by p nut; 01-09-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Combat Wombat
    $500 is definately not budget, especially when we are talking production. I do not know exactly what frames we are talking about that cost $1500, but I can buy a Salsa El Mariachi from Webcyclery for only about a hundred more than a Jabber frame. A Niner SIR frame goes about $850 and for a steel production frame, I personally believe that is about as good as it gets.

I do agree that firing more than few of the sales staff looks bad, but consider Kris Fowler's history with this company. Look back only a few short years ago and who in there right mind would have tried to sell frames with these geo numbers? When 29ers were still a novelty and if you knew nobody else that rode one of these frames, how many of you would have even considered buying one of these bikes? These guys definately had to think out of the box and were not out to get rich. How many big companies would come up with the logo "Bikes are Effin Cool"? If this company is Kris's baby and that frame you are riding is more than just money in his pocket, I can easily see him shaking things upside down to get it where he thinks it should be.

But who knows? I am just thinking out loud here, but what I do know is that I have been mtb'ing since 1990, have owned more than a couple bikes that cost way more than what I have tied up in my Jabberwocky and yet this bike is, hands down, the best one yet. I hope things work out. Especially since I have started toying with the idea of collecting parts for a Bander frame maybe later on this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66

That makes no sense. An owner doesn't fire the whole damn staff and immediately cease selling bikes if things are great except for a few slacking employees, that stuff can be managed. They only do that when things have gone HORRENDOUSLY wrong.

Is it 'sink the company' wrong or just 'changing of the guard' wrong? We'll see.

--

In the interests of trying to learn a bit about this, how often did Vassago do 'Black Friday' sales before? It seems weird to start selling everything for half off if it's all going well. Isn't that a bad sign, or was that just part of the 'grass roots' way they do things?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee

--

In the interests of trying to learn a bit about this, how often did Vassago do 'Black Friday' sales before? It seems weird to start selling everything for half off if it's all going well. Isn't that a bad sign, or was that just part of the 'grass roots' way they do things?
    They did the black Friday sale the last 2 years at least.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    Why not? Because this is a bike chat forum. It's what we do here talk about bikes and bike companies. Sometimes the talk is good, sometimes the talk is bad, sometimes it's fact, sometimes it's people's opinions and sometimes, god forbid, the talk is speculation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    Black Friday, as in the day after Thanksgiving... everyone has sales. They are selling off the end of their current year inventory, like they have in previous years.

Having an end of the year sale isn't that big a deal. The only thing is tells me is that even at those really low prices they're still making a profit, so you have to wonder just how little the frames cost them.

mtbr member
    How old are you? What line of business are you in?

Most people see this for what it is, it is not like this has not happened many many times before. And I am not talking about just bikes.

There are fundamental things that happen in the business world, most herein are involved in educated "speculation". People have seen it before.

The largest misstep here is that this should never have been made public. That, IMO, is the biggest misstep that suggest that the problems run deep.
    Nobody cares...........

30-ton War Machine
    A guy who leaves his company to take care of his sick child does not smack of the type who quits easily. Good luck to him and his brand, I am betting that they get stuff sorted by Summer and are back at it. The company was closer to folding with the old staff than it is right now. And to the apache, I am willing to wager that nearly every bike you have ever owned, if you are actually a rider, was built overseas by a company based here in the States so, your attitude about that is way off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    A guy who leaves his company to take care of his sick child does not smack of the type who quits easily. Good luck to him and his brand, I am betting that they get stuff sorted by Summer and are back at it. The company was closer to folding with the old staff than it is right now. And to the apache, I am willing to wager that nearly every bike you have ever owned, if you are actually a rider, was built overseas by a company based here in the States so, your attitude about that is way off.
    He didn't have that sales staff when he started, and now he doesn't have 'em when he's starting over. Best of luck to him!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Read the news on Friday...cracked Optimus frame on Saturday!

As a longtime Vassago customer (bought a Jabberwocky in 2005/2006 and an Optimus in 2009), I was saddened to read the memo from the owner when I checked my email on Friday. I rode the Optimus yesterday and discovered a substantial stress crack at the downtube gusset that grew to nearly 2 inches during the ride. Am planning to contact Vassago on Monday...not sure how things will turn out. Talk about bad timing!
    Last edited by solavelocidad; 01-11-2011 at 12:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Having an end of the year sale isn't that big a deal. The only thing is tells me is that even at those really low prices they're still making a profit, so you have to wonder just how little the frames cost them.
    The likely scenario isn't that they're selling them at a profit. The likely case is that they're selling them at cost to free up cash in order to place the order for next year's production run.

In this business they buy a year's worth of production from a contract manufacturer which they pay for up front. Clearing out a large volume of inventory means they bet wrong on their sales numbers. Unfortunately, that inventory they're sitting on is the cash they need to start the whole cycle over again for the next buy. If they were clearing out odd colors/sizes I'd consider it a sale. Large volume sales at 1/2 off don't indicate a good thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    A guy who leaves his company to take care of his sick child does not smack of the type who quits easily. Good luck to him and his brand, I am betting that they get stuff sorted by Summer and are back at it. The company was closer to folding with the old staff than it is right now...
    He didn't have that sales staff when he started, and now he doesn't have 'em when he's starting over. Best of luck to him!
    I like this attitude better.

Vassago seems to have a good product with a loyal following. I donít know that Iíve read anywhere that those that have one didnít like the way it rides. And thatís a hell of a lot more than he had when he started.

But in the spirit of wild speculation, supposing Vassago isnít around when Iím ready to buy, is there another affordable steel 29er with similar geo?

Gary

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by solavelocidad
    As a longtime Vassago customer (bought a Jabberwocky in 2005/2006 and an Optimus in 2009), I was saddened to read the memo from the owner when I checked my email on Friday. I rode the Optimus yesterday and discovered a substantial stress crack at the downtube gusset that grew to nearly 2 inches during the ride. Am planning to contact Vassago on Monday...not sure how things will turn out. Talk about bad timing!
    The 09 was made by Lynskey wasnt it? If no answer from Vassago you may want to try Lynskey. Good luck.
    I leave the symbols to the symbol minded.
    -George Carlin

Team Trails Edge

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004

There are a number of smaller bike shops who have been able to carve out a nice niche for themselves catering to 29er riders, SS etc. These are also the same shops that have to compete against larger bike shops carrying more well known brands. Having a small bike frame company like Vassago throw in the towel will give alot of potential customers pause in deciding on other small frame companies too. They could go down the street and buy a Giant, Gary Fisher or whatever and never have to worry about a warranty issue or future support.

I was left holding the bag on an Ibis over 10 years ago. I'm still bitter about it. I imagine alot of Titus owners feel the same way.

This kind of thing happens on a regular basis in business. Just the nature of the beast. People quit stuff all the time. Just. Walk. Away.

Any company can go belly up, or restructure and not honor warranties, including large companies. Happened with Schwinn not that long ago. Sure, it's probably a lot more likely to happen with a tiny garage brand, but it still could happen with the big guys.
    My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    How old are you? What line of business are you in?

Most people see this for what it is, it is not like this has not happened many many times before. And I am not talking about just bikes.

There are fundamental things that happen in the business world, most herein are involved in educated "speculation". People have seen it before.

The largest misstep here is that this should never have been made public. That, IMO, is the biggest misstep that suggest that the problems run deep.
    Old enough too know, and inside knowledge of what is going on. Enough said.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll
    Glad to hear daughter is doing better.

I believe this is the main take away from this. It is good to hear.

I don't think that the guy who founded the company will come back to the helm, then make the company crap. I'm not worried. There may not be as many models, but who cares? The ones they make will still kick ass. My Jabber constantly reminds me why I love MTBing and that's the way it should be.

-PA
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neveride

i had the same thought... but then again that doesnt really jive with "the investors are happy."

not alot of savvy investors are happy with little or no cash flow. income numbers can be faked in the short term but cash flow cant.

i wish them the best but it is inconsequential to me at 6' & 4.5"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo
    i had the same thought... but then again that doesnt really jive with "the investors are happy."
    If the company was bleeding red ink, achieving zero short term cash flow while you develop a long term plan would make them happy. The only reason they'd idle the company is a lack of funds to keep it moving.

mtbr member
    Bam. Thread over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Not terribly worried...

Having owned my Jabberwocky since 2007, I can sincerily say that it's delivered smiles and good times in spades. If it breaks tomorrow, the only thing that will suck is having to find something to replace it which I may or may not enjoy as much.

I bought my Jabber early enough when Kris used to answer the phone (I think it was when he was moving the business to Baltimore MD). I threw it together with whatever cast-off/mismatched parts I had laying around, quickly learned that I liked it...a lot. I ignored any hype about the geometry and pretty much just rode the crap out of it, doing many upgrades (better wheels, fork, etc.) along the way.

All of that said, I think it's easy enough to fold a company without a personal message from the original founder. I was saddened to hear the news about his daughter two years ago, and am heartened to now hear that she's doing better.

I wish Kris best of luck at his challenge. I also wish those of you with outstanding warranty issues the best of luck. May this all be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

-Raynman59

29 TO LIFE

I Found Some Vassago Product

I was at a bike shop today that has 1 Odis fork in some kind of orange that I don't know the name of (sorry). They also have like 4 or 5 of the original gearplugs for the Jabberwocky and a shload of Bandersnatch derailleur hangers. They are no longer a Vassago dealer but they had some left over stuff. You all might have heard of it Bike Bling. They don't have any of it on their website but it is in the retail store so call them at 1-800-BIKEPRO.

Cheers
    Robert

Fat & Single
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Derailleur-Hange...item2ead7b61ff

Plenty of CNC hangers on eBay for loads cheaper, i have a few and they are beauties.

I cant really see a company like this going under or if they do , stay under , theres a cult following on the ole WETCAT . All speculation at the mo anyway , we'll know the truth soon.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raynman59
    Having owned my Jabberwocky since 2007, I can sincerily say that it's delivered smiles and good times in spades. If it breaks tomorrow, the only thing that will suck is having to find something to replace it which I may or may not enjoy as much.

I bought my Jabber early enough when Kris used to answer the phone (I think it was when he was moving the business to Baltimore MD). I threw it together with whatever cast-off/mismatched parts I had laying around, quickly learned that I liked it...a lot. I ignored any hype about the geometry and pretty much just rode the crap out of it, doing many upgrades (better wheels, fork, etc.) along the way.

All of that said, I think it's easy enough to fold a company without a personal message from the original founder. I was saddened to hear the news about his daughter two years ago, and am heartened to now hear that she's doing better.

I wish Kris best of luck at his challenge. I also wish those of you with outstanding warranty issues the best of luck. May this all be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

-Raynman59

Very well put.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Followup on cracked Optimus frame

Quote Originally Posted by solavelocidad
    I thought I should provide an update/followup to my earlier post regarding my damaged Optimus frame...
    I emailed Vassago's warranty department on Monday (Jan. 10) morning with a description of my frame failure and received an almost immediate response. The warranty service representative was very professional in initiating the return process and provided me with the same great level of customer service that I have experienced in the past when dealing with Vassago. Based upon how they are handling my warranty issue, I am confident that Kris is doing the right thing and the end result will be a stronger company.
    -Barry

Jacob 34:19
    @solavelocidad - That's good news about your Optimus Ti.

It wasn't that long ago that Apple had one foot in the grave. Steve Jobs came back and turned things around for them. Today their stock is trading north of $340/share, largely due to the "mild" success they've had with MP3 players and phones.

I wish the best for Kris' daughter. Sounds like he's doing his best for his family and his company.

30-ton War Machine
    So Kris needs to release the new blacklabel jabberwocky on Verizon and he will be back in bidness

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was at a bike shop today that has 1 Odis fork in some kind of orange that I don't know the name of (sorry). They also have like 4 or 5 of the original gearplugs for the Jabberwocky and a shload of Bandersnatch derailleur hangers. They are no longer a Vassago dealer but they had some left over stuff. You all might have heard of it Bike Bling. They don't have any of it on their website but it is in the retail store so call them at 1-800-BIKEPRO.

Cheers
    Robert
    Thanks...gearplug on the way!

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    As long as they do away with the color Brown and stay in business.... I'm happy. :-)

mtbr member
    The delay just means that im going to purchase my next frame from someone else. I have been waiting for the Black Label bikees for a while and im just now going to look somplace else. I do have a jabber and a 2010 Optimus Ti.

This does stink like a company about to file chapter 11.

Apr 2007
    Click Click - I'll bet your Op Ti they won't file Ch 11.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just a note: I got a call from Vassago today about a question I had. They were really helpful. Didn't sound like they were planning on closing up to me.

mtbr member
    I hope they dont the way of Titus!

I was really looking forward to there new frames with the shorter chainstays. (just a 1/2 inch) Im in the market in the next few weeks. If the frame isnt around when the boss lady gives the ok to pull the trigger on a new frame I buying the Ragley TD:1.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    vassago only gives 10-15 warranty bikes a year, their frames are tough, and My dad had to wait 3 months to get a warranty fisher frame

... I guess you won't be
    At first read, I thought the announcement was somewhat odd. Couldn't quite put my finger on it....

"The investors are happy", but? Huh? This makes no sense whatsoever.

On second reading, I thought "nice reward for his sales staff, who kept the company going long enough to pay for his kid's expensive cancer treatment"? It's an unavoidable question.

There's some $tuff going on here, and it's probably just brutal economic$. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    The you are also old enough to know what it means to other biz savvy people when an apparantly succesful and popular company suddenly has a major change of executive management, fires it's sales staff, and puts an indefinite halt on product sales. Whats next, profit restatements, accounting inconsistencies, restructuring, legal action?

Exactly what are we supposed to do, pretend that this is a good sign? Quit speculating and wait and see... Are you new here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    an apparantly succesful and popular company
    In that case I think a good question is "were they really successful?", which of course depends on your perspective. Some investor types are happy as long as sales are being made right now, while other people might not be happy if that is happening at a cost to important fundamentals and long term health.

They stopped selling direct a little while ago so they could sell only through dealers, which to me is normally a good sign of growing and becoming a more mature brand. And yet I hear here and there about former Vassago dealers and then HuckNRoll started carrying them not too long ago. See, it's not too hard to pretend it's a good sign

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The you are also old enough to know what it means to other biz savvy people when an apparantly succesful and popular company suddenly has a major change of executive management, fires it's sales staff, and puts an indefinite halt on product sales. Whats next, profit restatements, accounting inconsistencies, restructuring, legal action?

Exactly what are we supposed to do, pretend that this is a good sign? Quit speculating and wait and see... Are you new here?
    Compose a legible post, and maybe I will take you seriously.

mtbr member
    Whats the latest?

mtbr member
    Compose a legible post, and maybe I will take you seriously.
    You are just another pretentious internet forum blowhard, and the only insider information you have is in relation to how far your head is inside your own ass.

You know, on second thought, you're ignorant and behave like a self-important, condescending pr1ck on an internet forum. I take it back, you definitely ARE a bike industry insider.

Is that "legible" enough for you? And BTW genius, look up the definition of "legible". You're too illiterate to even insult people effectively. Learn to use the English language accurately and perhaps then we can take you seriously.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 01-17-2011 at 07:48 AM.

jmw
    mtbr member
    uh, re-read your post after you take a deep breath, then decide if you want to call names.
    you guys are crazy...

everybody relax, the end of the world is not here, yet.

If Vassago was looking to create some internet buzz, they definitely got you guys all hyped up!!
    future nature

Always Learning
    You are just another pretentious internet forum blowhard, and the only insider information you have is in relation to how far your head is inside your own ass.

You know, on second thought, you're ignorant and behave like a self-important, condescending pr1ck on an internet forum. I take it back, you definitely ARE a bike industry insider.

Is that "legible" enough for you? And BTW genius, look up the definition of "legible". You're too illiterate to even insult people effectively. Learn to use the English language accurately and perhaps then we can take you seriously.
    Whoa there...

Read the posting guidelines here.

banned

chill

People, People......... Take a valium or something and relax.

mtbr member
    I just bought a BanderSnatch today and my friend is buying one in the next couple days... I am not too worried about it.

Besides, the worst that happens is I don't have a warranty on my frame and I am out $500. I am not saying $500 is not a lot of money, just saying that this is the worst case scenario.

I got nothin'
    I just ordered a Bandersnatch from Huck n Roll. I also Vassago asked a couple of questions via email a week ago and got them answered the next day. Looking forward to building and riding in the spring.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

Sounds like he is piss*d off. Mtbr.com developers should do the same thing with this site.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Whoa there...

Read the posting guidelines here.
    How about being a rules pedant the post before, when S: Drive threw out the unnecessary insult, rather then when he got the riot act he deserved?
    Last edited by schnee; 01-21-2011 at 10:13 PM.

banned
    Anyone happen to see the latest blog? Apparently Vassago has been reading this thread.

mtbr member
    Anyone happen to see the latest blog? Apparently Vassago has been reading this thread.
    You stay classy Vassago

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    HAH! There ya go. Someone is paying attention to all the trash talk. I hope 2011 is a great year for Vassago. Success is the best form of 'nyaa-nyaa'.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow. I love my Bander and actually just ordered another one, but damn, that's an interesting reaction from Vassago. Not even the BD guy has done that, and he gets alot more heat on MTBR!
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member

I love it, that is awesome!

I am a proud owner of a Vassago BanderSnatch!

Apr 2007
    Very unprofessional. -1 point

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Would you have preferred coherent? All I have to say is you called me out, and said I did not know what I was talking about.

Lets just say I am personal friend of the owner of Vassago. This would give a bit of inside knowledge.

Have a nice life hater!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I can't say I've ever thought of them as too professional given, among other things, their homepage with the slogan "offending fellow cyclists since 2005" next to a naked guy riding a bike. Funny and not too innapropriate, but still unprofessional. Not every company is trying to or has to be professional and corporate though. Something like this is just bolder than their normal silly antics. Who knows how tongue in cheek he actually meant it though

banned
    I enjoy my Bander as well. However, I'm not a punk. Which is clearly the demegraghic they are targeting. Classless and unprofessional.

mtbr member
    The blog shold read "Hey MTBR haters... vassago says go F yourself... And while you are at it, you might as well go buy a frame from someone else, too"

mtbr member
    I'm going to. Where can I get a Ragley TD:1? Im in Houston TX.

Apr 2007
    I can't say I've ever thought of them as too professional given, among other things, their homepage with the slogan "offending fellow cyclists since 2005" next to a naked guy riding a bike. Funny and not too innapropriate, but still unprofessional. Not every company is trying to or has to be professional and corporate though. Something like this is just bolder than their normal silly antics. Who knows how tongue in cheek he actually meant it though
    Yeah, I agree. I understand that they're not heading into the office in a 3-piece suit and sitting back in their Herman Miller office chairs. And there is nothing wrong with that---being "unprofessional". However, that last blog post was, quote, "VERY unprofessional." If they were trying to be funny, I saw no humor---only a butt-hurt "captain at the helm".

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Very FUNNY +1 point!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley
    Very FUNNY +1 point!
    Par for the day. Not bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The blog shold read "Hey MTBR haters... vassago says go F yourself... And while you are at it, you might as well go buy a frame from someone else, too"
    Unless they've lifted their ban on all sales, I assumed that last part was a given. Perhaps this is a new sales strategy. Instead of "the customer is always right", they're going with "we aren't going to sell you anything......oh, and Eff you!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    As someone who just got a Jabber and has been rooting for whatever might be going on, I read with great curiosity the speculation. Sure I felt people were quick to write them off as gone, etc. But that post just made me certain that as much as I love my bike, I will not buy nor recommend to anyone else that they buy anything from the. Totally uncalled for...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Harsh. Way harsh.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    +1 for Vassago!

So many people here have been speculating and raggin' on them for weeks.

If nothing else, it's got you talkin' about them more and is getting more people to their site checkin' out their rigs.

My Bandy only came in the mail this week, but I love it even more now 'cause they tow the line.

Way to stick to your guns Vassago! Shows confidence in the company and the product!

Funny too.
    Last edited by dollabills; 01-21-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    RM ETSX
    Vassago Bandesnatch

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I sure picked a bad day to list my Bander frame in the classifieds. Damn!
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    +1 for Vassago.

I don't know why folks had to spend so much time deriding the company since the announcement. I really have no attachment to the company other than ordering a Black Friday frame, which took a month to arrive.

Clearly the original founder--Kris--was not happy with what when down during that time and its impact on current and potential customers. So, he decided to "reevaluate" the company. Now they are in "transition" looking forward to a "new year." What is wrong with this? Why not take the man for his word? I would think that Kris loves the company he founded and does not want to see it sink due to what has deemed an inefficient company structure. Nothing like having good intentions and then watch others piss on it.

I can't wait for the Black Label! So, Kris, if you are reading...keep the trade-up program.
    On-One ScandAl 29er
    "...Obviously you're not a golfer"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    After reading this last page I went over to the Vassago blog and expected to be disappointed and offended by some bad attitude whiny defensive blather and business double talk. Instead I found myself giggling in my chair.

+10 for Vassago, that right there is funny… some people take the interweb way to serious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by All_talk
    After reading this last page I went over to the Vassago blog and expected to be disappointed and offended by some bad attitude whiny defensive blather and business double talk. Instead I found myself giggling in my chair.

+10 for Vassago, that right there is funnyÖ some people take the interweb way to serious.

I did the same thing...lol

Here is another +10 for Vassago.

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by All_talk

+10 for Vassago, that right there is funnyÖ some people take the interweb way to serious.
    I had the exact same reaction.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Combat Wombat
    There has been the so called haters through all this, but there has also been a fair share of those hoping for nothing but the best for Kris and his company, myself being one of them. If that last comment would have been on some kind of personal blog, it would have been funny. Considering the entry that preceeds it, that blog entry is a direct reflection of his company and the supposedly new direction its heading. Months from now, I wonder how many people that will have not read all this on MTBR, will interpret "MTBR Haters" as just MTBRs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    hilarious and awesome. some of you really do need to relax and not take things so seriously, it's a bike company, not a dr.'s office.

mtbr member
    On second thought, who really cares about some stupid comment on a meaningless blog? All they do is sell welded together triangles that were welded together by other people. Vassago, like many other bike outfits are just glorified distributors.

rebmem rbtm

Lol

If they offer this as a frame sticker on their site I will buy one....and a frame to go with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dollabills
    +1 for Vassago!

If nothing else, it's got you talkin' about them more and is getting more people to their site checkin' out their rigs.

This isn't friggin Hollywood. Not all publicity is good publicity. So far Vassago has shown themselves to be a crappy company selling a sh*t product that is barely worth the 300$ people paid for them on sale. With their latest blog post, they've shown themselves to not be receptive to customer feedback and instead respond to legitimate grievances with the maturity of a 13 year old. It also highlights the insincerity of the "captain returns to the helm bs" since the captain has proven himself in the following post to be a total jerkoff.

I hope you guys that enjoy their antics buy alot of frames this year because they have definitely turned off far more prospective buyers than they have gained new clients.

I'm fairly certain well see this company liquidate (if they havent already on black Friday) before 2011 is up and theyll have noone to blame but themselves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_sdca
    If they offer this as a frame sticker on their site I will buy one....and a frame to go with it.
    ^ ^ ^ I'm still giggling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Goodness some of you guys are soft... geez. no reason to get all butthurt, it was funny...

ready to ride
    +20
    Great stuff!

If it offends you, maybe you should get from behind the keyboard and get behind some handle bars. Just saying....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns
    +20
    Great stuff!

If it offends you, maybe you should get from behind the keyboard and get behind some handle bars. Just saying....
    Agreed. You MTBR haters are a bunch of whiny little *****e$. Go F yourself...is that unprofessional?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dollabills
    +1 for Vassago!

My Bandy only came in the mail this week, but I love it even more now 'cause they tow the line.

Way to stick to your guns Vassago! Shows confidence in the company and the product!

Funny too.
    No one is ragging on them, they went dark on the world then act surprised and offended when people try to guess WTF is going on. This is normal, especially when companies take abnormal actions such as this. They should expect it.

If they want to influence public opinion then just release a statement. At the very least, just keep silent. But you have to wonder what the thinking is in an organization that indulges in this sort of public response to criticism.

It's worrisome because this is the same kind of stuff Ibex pulled a few years back, and look where they ended up. I'm not a big fan of vassago but I'd hate to see another USA-based bike company go under.

Vassago has a rep for being funny and doing stuff like this, but this is a small company. One has to wonder how long they can continue to operate without income from product sales before they run out of reserves. Being funny and cool doesn't pay the bills.

mtbr member
    LMAO +1. They didn't say mtbr go f yourself, they told the Haters. IMHO, any Haters should GFYS.
    anything Steel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRogers1935
    This isn't friggin Hollywood. Not all publicity is good publicity. So far Vassago has shown themselves to be a crappy company selling a sh*t product that is barely worth the 300$ people paid for them on sale. With their latest blog post, they've shown themselves to not be receptive to customer feedback and instead respond to legitimate grievances with the maturity of a 13 year old. It also highlights the insincerity of the "captain returns to the helm bs" since the captain has proven himself in the following post to be a total jerkoff.

I hope you guys that enjoy their antics buy alot of frames this year because they have definitely turned off far more prospective buyers than they have gained new clients.

I'm fairly certain well see this company liquidate (if they havent already on black Friday) before 2011 is up and theyll have noone to blame but themselves.
    Where is this customer feedback that you speak of? All that is in this thread is the know-it-alls telling (speculating really) us what is going on at their company and [email protected] about it when he reponds. If I remember correctly, the ones whining about his response where probably whining when they were silent. Haters are gonna hate and you obviously hate the brand. And I hope you were looking in the mirror with your 13 year old comment, because if you think that saying they are a crappy company selling a [email protected] product is a legitimate grievance, then I assume you are a soon to be teenager yourself.
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

Kicker of Elves
    Bottom line for me is it shows a lack of character and class. I wasn't hating on them and actually looked forward to them getting on their feet again - and don't wish anything other than that still. But no Vassago for me. Juvenile and vulgar...to me.

banned
    I was looking forward to the release of the Black Label line. Guess the owner just helped me make my decission. My next frame will be an IF. Built by a company that has both class and custumer service. Something Vassago clearly knows nothing about.

Sites like MTBR are heavily used by consumers to research and make informative decesions before laying down hard earned cash. On products that can cost several thousand dollars. Telling a fairly large group to "f" off cause your custumer service is terrible, does'nt help a company IMO.

Looks like my Bander frame that was going to get powder coated is headed to the classifieds instead.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kvojr
    Where is this customer feedback that you speak of? All that is in this thread is the know-it-alls telling (speculating really) us what is going on at their company and [email protected] about it when he reponds. If I remember correctly, the ones whining about his response where probably whining when they were silent. Haters are gonna hate and you obviously hate the brand. And I hope you were looking in the mirror with your 13 year old comment, because if you think that saying they are a crappy company selling a [email protected] product is a legitimate grievance, then I assume you are a soon to be teenager yourself.
    So, a bunch of interdweebs voice their LEGITIMATE problems they've had with their service, and speculate into what's going to happen to a company that, not only had a change of ownership, but just let all of its staff go, and the best response they've got is "go f yourself?" Who's the pre-adolecent?

And for the record, I backed up Vassago in all of my previous posts before that childish blog post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Cheers
    Robert
    Any chance that they had the CNC hangers?

Or, does anyone else have an extra they'd like to get rid of?
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Any chance that they had the CNC hangers?

Or, does anyone else have an extra they'd like to get rid of?

http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar...22353049___180

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I thought it was pretty cool. +1 for Vassago!

Todd

mtbr member
    I laughed, they still don't have a compelling bike for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No need to get your chamois in a wad, Ron Burgundy is a real professional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqVfKJwQ63I&NR=1

mtbr member
    I have a 09 Jabber and a 2010 Optimus Ti. They have lost 2 sales in 2011 from me. I was planning on buying a black label frame for me and my wife when they became available.

They have shown signs of trouble and when perspective customers voiced there concerns they replied they way a 13 year old boy would have. "Haters" don't have 2 Vassago frames with plans to buy more.

I work at a large bike shop and when people ask me about my bikes I'll tell them don't bother with Vassago. Any company that isn't a Hot Topic or a Spencer’s Gifts that uses the term "Haters" should then start to require at least a G.E.D. to work there. What a Low Brow comment.

What he just did was remove the sympathy card people had for his company. Now he is just a fool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom
    I have a 09 Jabber and a 2010 Optimus Ti. They have lost 2 sales in 2011 from me. I was planning on buying a black label frame for me and my wife when they became available.

They have shown signs of trouble and when perspective customers voiced there concerns they replied they way a 13 year old boy would have. "Haters" don't have 2 Vassago frames with plans to buy more.

I work at a large bike shop and when people ask me about my bikes I'll tell them don't bother with Vassago. Any company that isn't a Hot Topic or a Spencerís Gifts that uses the term "Haters" should then start to require at least a G.E.D. to work there. What a Low Brow comment.

What he just did was remove the sympathy card people had for his company. Now he is just a fool.
    FWIW they've had "haters" on their front page for a long, long time

mtbr member
    They might as well rename the company Foe Shizzle bikes. There new slogan can be "Buy my Shiznit Foo!" and they could come with cages that fit a "OL E" 40oz.

Apr 2007

I work at a large bike shop and when people ask me about my bikes I'll tell them don't bother with Vassago. Any company that isn't a Hot Topic or a Spencerís Gifts that uses the term "Haters" should then start to require at least a G.E.D. to work there. What a Low Brow comment.

Well said. Some companies have gone under or severely hit for comments less than that from the president. Childish comments like that is uncalled for, as it's a reflection of the attitude of this "new" company.

mtbr member
    it's a reflection of the attitude of this "new" company.
    I'm not trying to say what they're doing is right, but imho this attitude and personality has been visible from the beginning, and when shown in lesser amounts has even been something people said was cool about the company. What he's shown now is just less restraint and/or less patience

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm not trying to say what they're doing is right, but imho this attitude and personality has been visible from the beginning, and when shown in lesser amounts has even been something people said was cool about the company. What he's shown now is just less restraint and/or less patience
    Vassago just lost a potential customer with bs like this. There are plenty of companies to buy frames from that aren't offensive and unprofessional. What company's president in their right mind would put something like that in a public forum? If that's in any way reflective of his attitude toward customers or competency running a company, this is a huge red flag.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I'm tempted to break my Fisty down and send it back, I would much rather have a Vaya from a company who has always been professional, but also gets the biker.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    I just feel like crying, this is just horrid! I can't beleve they used the word "Haters". Don't they know us MTBRers are smarter and better than them? With out us, they have nothing and should give us all free frames, not that anyone here would want one from those devil worshippers. You know,the more I think about it, Vassago is the reason this country is having so many problems right now. If they would just be more "professional" the housing market would be back to the way it was in '04 and gas would still be $1.00 a gallon.
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    To each his own, and I'm not trying to incite a riot here, but man it sure seems like you guys get offended SO easily. At one time, mountain bikers and mountain bike companies were kind of cutting edge, reckless, not exactly suit and tie guys. But, judging by the responses here, it seems like mountain bikers on this board and/or in general are a bunch of tennis and golf players posing as mountain bikers.

I mean seriously, the guy put something on his own website that was likely in poor taste. He didn't come to MTBR and post that message here. AFAIK, he didn't send everyone who has subscribed to this thread a personal e-mail to that affect. And its been so quickly forgotten, but the reason he fired his staff was (reportedly) because of the poor customer service and handling of the Black Friday frames. So, he was trying to respond positively for actions that were (or weren't) taken in his absence.

If you were "offended" or think his word choice was "vulgar" then move on. Quit complaining here.

As for me, would I have done that - NO. Do I condemn the guy for doing it - NO. His company is possibly falling apart and there are documented difficulties in his home life. Maybe he just snapped - who knows. I read about the firing of his staff and immediately purchased a new Bandersnatch because I love the frame and wanted to make sure that if the company goes under, I have a newer frame to last me for a while.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    So do you think they planted the trees they promised on their home page? Just something that has been sticking in my head for awhile.

mtbr member
    I don't play in the 29er forum much anymore so I didn't realize how many people hated Vassago. I LOVE, absolutely love, my Jabberwocky. LOVE that bike. When/if they resume sales, I might pick up a Bander frame.

Quote Originally Posted by alex_sdca
    Hell yeah.
    :wq

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Funny....we still have frames in stock,and interest in the brand. Only SOME people read MTBR...I ride a Bander...it is perfect for my style-i will sell them happily. Give them a little time to fix their troubles...they have been open and honest with us. In my decades in this crazy business-I have seen brands fold without a word...keeping peoples money. I have seen big brands screw up and go to Wallyworld-and it is still common for big brands to clear out bikes through mailorder to generate income.A very small company gets this much interest? The word must be out who sweet the frames are. And i as an adult...find the blog post....extremely funny! HTFU..go ride-forget what others are doing...whatever happens...I will still be riding a 29er.....P.S. we have a gear plug...it is free with a Jabber order-LOL!!!!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    To each his own, and I'm not trying to incite a riot here, but man it sure seems like you guys get offended SO easily. At one time, mountain bikers and mountain bike companies were kind of cutting edge, reckless, not exactly suit and tie guys. But, judging by the responses here, it seems like mountain bikers on this board and/or in general are a bunch of tennis and golf players posing as mountain bikers.
    Yep. Lots of salty vaginas in here. One of the reasons I was so attracted to the Jabber when I bought it was because of their un-polished website and their bit of edge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    I don't play in the 29er forum much anymore so I didn't realize how many people hated Vassago. I LOVE, absolutely love, my Jabberwocky. LOVE that bike. When/if they resume sales, I might pick up a Bander frame.

Hell yeah.

I noticed that. I was liking your Tahoe picture posts from about a year ago. Good to see you're still liking the Jabber.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    I noticed that. I was liking your Tahoe picture posts from about a year ago. Good to see you're still liking the Jabber.
    I took some time off too as my first was born over summer. I didn't ride much at all last year and zero Tahoe stuff

This year there will be Tahoe rides though. I'll probably come through with some solid picture whoring post-rides

Apr 2007

I mean seriously, the guy put something on his own website that was likely in poor taste. He didn't come to MTBR and post that message here. AFAIK, he didn't send everyone who has subscribed to this thread a personal e-mail to that affect. And its been so quickly forgotten, but the reason he fired his staff was (reportedly) because of the poor customer service and handling of the Black Friday frames. So, he was trying to respond positively for actions that were (or weren't) taken in his absence.

If you were "offended" or think his word choice was "vulgar" then move on. Quit complaining here.

As for me, would I have done that - NO. Do I condemn the guy for doing it - NO. His company is possibly falling apart and there are documented difficulties in his home life. Maybe he just snapped - who knows. I read about the firing of his staff and immediately purchased a new Bandersnatch because I love the frame and wanted to make sure that if the company goes under, I have a newer frame to last me for a while.
    I may be speaking for myself here, but I hardly doubt anybody here cried themselves to sleep after reading that post. No one is offended by the comment. What I'm turned off by is the manner in which it was presented. The guy could've given some further clarification on firing the staff and what may be happening in the future to give potential clients direction or incentive to wait for their product, but what do we get? No clue as to what's happening, sales still shut down. Oh, by the way, "F you!" There are a lot of legitimately pissed off people right now and comments like that certainly won't help

BTW--not sure if you've been in the sports world within the last decade or longer, but tennis players and golfers aren't exactly the gentleman type, either.

mtbr member
    ?

Who gives a f%ck? Seriously.

First of all, the image is funny, and if you want it as a sticker, I sent it to a local sticker company yesterday.

Second, if Vassago folds, if it stays open, if they start selling drink umbrellas... what's the difference? You can swing a dead, Kashi-eating hipster and hit a steel 29er frame now a days. It's not a niche market anymore. 29ers are pervasive in the cycling community now. They are not special anymore... they just exist with every other bike.

Third... don't get sand in your vajayjay because a bike company, that doesn't even sell bikes anymore, called you out on your b!tch!ng and moaning. It's the Internet... get over it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I may be speaking for myself here, but I hardly doubt anybody here cried themselves to sleep after reading that post. No one is offended by the comment. What I'm turned off by is the manner in which it was presented. The guy could've given some further clarification on firing the staff and what may be happening in the future to give potential clients direction or incentive to wait for their product, but what do we get? No clue as to what's happening, sales still shut down. Oh, by the way, "F you!" There are a lot of legitimately pissed off people right now and comments like that certainly won't help

BTW--not sure if you've been in the sports world within the last decade or longer, but tennis players and golfers aren't exactly the gentleman type, either.
    Go back and read through the comments. Plenty of people called it offensive and more than one used the word vulgar.

The guy doesn't owe anyone here an explanation for why he fired his staff, unless you're still waiting for a Black Friday frame, trade-up replacement, etc. Just because you bought a bike, it doesn't mean that you should be privy to his business.

As for the golf and tennis community, no I don't really watch that stuff. Maybe I was more referring to the fans than the players. My point is that at some time in the not too distant past, mountain biking became mainstream - meaning that every white collar worker suddenly fancied themselves as a weekend warrior. IMO, its because of that that you all are on here complaining about being offended by the f-word. (No disrespect to lawyers and bankers in general, just the first two white collar jobs I could think of).
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Flame Me if you must, But F--- YOU Vassago. I'm the one who posted the Black Friday sale only to have received my Jabberwocky a month later damaged, frame not chased or faced and no seat post clamp.

Their response a week later after receipt of my e-mail was sorry for the poor Fedex shipping, we would love to see some pictures of your frame not being faced or chased. I sent them and never heard back. Nothing!!!! Not even, we will replace your frame or make it right.

I e-mailed them and indicated I filed a dispute with my credit card company and they then said send it back and we will refund your money. But they wanted me to pay return shipping. I just wanted a replacement frame but it was never offered. They just said no one pays for shipping both ways and that I got 40% off retail on the deal. Rash of e-mails later still no replacement offered, but said they would pay the return shipping after receipt up to $29.00. Just have to say their e-mails were just plain rude and disrespectful. They were bold enough to refer to me as a scammer!

Never again, will I buy one of these piles from a company that is not in the least concerned about customer service. I will be selling my other two Vassago's on Craigslist in the very near future. A Surly or two will be in my future for sure. Shame on you Vassago!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meusoc45
    Flame Me if you must, But F--- YOU Vassago. I'm the one who posted the Black Friday sale only to have received my Jabberwocky a month later damaged, frame not chased or faced and no seat post clamp.
    Maybe we just have different expectations or something but when I ordered my Jabber I planned in to my build chasing/facing the frame and knew I had to order my own seat clamp.

mtbr member
    meusoc45 was this before or after the axe coming down on the old staff?

Apr 2007
    Maybe we just have different expectations or something but when I ordered my Jabber I planned in to my build chasing/facing the frame and knew I had to order my own seat clamp.
    To be fair, Vassago's site says "All frames come faced, chased and ready to build."

Not saying that you SHOULDN'T do it anyway, but...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This ordeal went on before and after the staff change. Just wanted a frame that was not damaged. The Seat post tube was sticking out the top of the box when I received it and the lip was bent. Being faced and chased not to big of and issue, but their lack of concern or remedies was concerning.

Apr 2007
    The guy doesn't owe anyone here an explanation for why he fired his staff,....
    No, he doesn't. But I think we can agree he should've just kept his mouth shut.

When it comes down to it, this is a business. Businesses that make idiotic comments lose customers (as it is self-evident here), thereby losing sales/revenue, etc. Yeah, the original mtbers were thought to be hooligans or whatever. But that's no longer true (no matter if you like it or not) an the company needs to adjust its attitude or I hardly doubt they'll make it. Can you see Burton making such statements? Harley?
    Last edited by p nut; 01-25-2011 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by meusoc45
    This ordeal went on before and after the staff change. Just wanted a frame that was not damaged. The Seat post tube was sticking out the top of the box when I received it and the lip was bent. Being faced and chased not to big of and issue, but their lack of concern or remedies was concerning.

And so you have a legitimate gripe. My thoughts are meant for those that took offense to a blog post that used bad language.

FWIW, I e-mailed Vassago yesterday regarding the availability of the CNC hangers and received a response this afternoon. They answered my question with out a problem and didn't tell me to "Go F- Myself", so I haven't personally had a bad experience with them.
    Enjoy the ride!

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    The hanger is a wheels manufacturing # 67 most are the CNC one..it is black. I hve had a few silver pot metal ones...weak. Most LBS can get one quick if needed as well as Vassago. Our rocks n roots eat hangers often...always great to have a spare!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 29buzz
    The hanger is a wheels manufacturing # 67 most are the CNC one..it is black. I hve had a few silver pot metal ones...weak. Most LBS can get one quick if needed as well as Vassago. Our rocks n roots eat hangers often...always great to have a spare!

thanks. BTW, sent you a message a little while ago - totally unrelated to Vassago.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yep. Lots of salty vaginas in here. One of the reasons I was so attracted to the Jabber when I bought it was because of their un-polished website and their bit of edge.
    Totally spit out a mouthful of coffee on that one....LOL...

I'm stunned by the amount of b!tching and whinging on here.

Truthfully after reading many of the posts here I'm thinking the sticker posted on Vassago's blog is pretty dead on...and it only applies to the haters!

Kris initial statement was posted on his own blog, I don't see how he is accountable and has to lend a detailed and descriptive explanation to anyone at MTBR. If that offends you, I suspect that you are likely folk that are difficult to please anyhow.

I suspect he had drawn the conclusion that these haters will not be in a hurry to conduct business with him anytime soon...ahh...the sun will rise and life will go on.

mtbr member
    To be fair, Vassago's site says "All frames come faced, chased and ready to build."

Not saying that you SHOULDN'T do it anyway, but...
    Gotcha. I haven't been through their site in a while so didn't see/remember seeing that part

mtbr member
    I guess the V in Vassago brings up thoughts of vaginas. There are 2 references on this page alone. Lol
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

banned
    I too liked the edginess and attitude of the company, untill recently. I wish nothing but the best for the owner and his family.

mtbr member
    You might be overly concerned with image if...

One of the reasons you selected one frame over another is because you liked the attitude on their website better. What's next, which one has the best stickers?

Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Iím still giggling at the blog post.

mtbr member

One of the reasons you selected one frame over another is because you liked the attitude on their website better. What's next, which one has the best stickers?

Just sayin'
    I'll totally make a bike choice based on the logo.
    Don't regret that stance one bit.

Also, I won't buy a bike strictly on the attitude of the site, or of the employees. I'll damn well NOT buy a bike based on it, though. Similar, but not quite the same.

mtbr member

Offended? Really?

I'm not offended by a T-Shirt. I'm offended by people on $4000 bikes who don't know how to adjust their limit screws. What're you gonna do? Maybe it's time to move on. Or beat the guy w/ the S works to death with his own carbon fiber pump.

Either way I hope that Vassago's still selling inexpensive, interesting frames five years from now.
    "Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!"

mtbr member

Just sayin'
    Marketing. How does it work?

mtbr member
    Marketing. How does it work?
    Oh did that hit close to home?

I mean, I wasn't referring specifically to you, but...
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 01-25-2011 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    every email i have sent them has been answered within 24hours. I think the company is on point with the new changes in management.

mtbr member
    Oh did that hit close to home?

I mean, I wasn't referring specifically to you, but...
    You can refer to me if you want. I love my Jabberwocky; it gives me tons of joy every time I ride it and I couldn't be happier with it. No shame there

singletrack bound
    You can refer to me if you want. I love my Jabberwocky; it gives me tons of joy every time I ride it and I couldn't be happier with it. No shame there
    I can say after three plus years on my Jabber......I still get a big grin on my face while pinning it down some narrow fast singletrack! This bike has giving me the most smiles for miles from day one!
    Don't need a custom or high dollar frame. This one works well.....
    Wish them the best going forward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhammer
    I'm not offended by a T-Shirt. I'm offended by people on $4000 bikes who don't know how to adjust their limit screws.

CLASSIC

banned
    Perhaps I'm growing old and cynical. When I started riding years ago it was a life style and attitude. Same reason I liked snowboarding. I started doing both far before "X Games" or either of them became mainstream or in the Olympics, for that matter.

I'm not a big fan of pro sports. I don't go bagging on my armed chaired athlete friends that spend thousands of bucks on NFL and NBA jerseys. I go ride my bike instead. Whatever gets your jollies off I suppose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Perhaps I'm growing old and cynical. When I started riding years ago it was a life style and attitude. Same reason I liked snowboarding. I started doing both far before "X Games" or either of them became mainstream or in the Olympics, for that matter.

I'm not a big fan of pro sports. I don't go bagging on my armed chaired athlete friends that spend thousands of bucks on NFL and NBA jerseys. I go ride my bike instead. Whatever gets your jollies off I suppose.

Exactly. Mountain bikers weren't a group of clean cut office type hitting the trails on weekends only back then. Dare I say that in its infancy, there was no suspension and no spandex too. Ah, the good old days.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member

I'm like you - I started snowboarding in winter of '89-'90, and my first MTB was a 1991 GT Karakoram. I wasn't drawn by the lifestyle or the attitude - it was just some fun stuff to do with my buddies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

We all know one (or more) of them!

Quote Originally Posted by shalesjr
    CLASSIC
    +1

Beyond CLASSIC!

-Raynman59

Apr 2007
    Exactly. Mountain bikers weren't a group of clean cut office type hitting the trails on weekends only back then. Dare I say that in its infancy, there was no suspension and no spandex too. Ah, the good old days.

I started riding back in 95, so I haven't been riding as much as you guys, but was mtb really not considered mainstream in the early 90's when you guys started riding? Every single bike manufacturer was producing them and you bet there was spandex galore. Not trying to start anything, but just thought it was funny to hear the grumpy old men talk about the good ol' days....

I'm just messing with you
    I started riding back in 95, so I haven't been riding as much as you guys, but was mtb really not considered mainstream in the early 90's when you guys started riding? Every single bike manufacturer was producing them and you bet there was spandex galore. Not trying to start anything, but just thought it was funny to hear the grumpy old men talk about the good ol' days....
    Yeah, I started in about 92 and the same thoughts were going through my head

I don't think things got edgy to where F*ck became a keyword to ID what bike you wanted until the latter part of the 90s

FWIW ... I don't GAS what the guy that owns Vassago posts, and its none of my business if it offends other people or not. Personally, I don't want one of the stickers or T-shirts, but if I was in the market for a bike and something they build hits all the check marks, then they would be in the running.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

TŠ mť ar meisce.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhammer
    I'm not offended by a T-Shirt. I'm offended by people on $4000 bikes who don't know how to adjust their limit screws.
    Yeah just like those people who buy $40,000 cars and don't know how to adjust the timing, or the people that buy $2K computers and don't know how to install a driver or the people that . . .
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

Frt Range, CO
    Geez, another hater thread with lots of internet experts, who'd guessed it could happen on the 29er forum

mtbr member
    Well, I sure hope they turn it round. They seem like such decent folk.

http://www.vassagocycles.com/importe...m-vassago.html

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan
    Yeah just like those people who buy $40,000 cars and don't know how to adjust the timing, or the people that buy $2K computers and don't know how to install a driver or the people that . . .
    Kinda get your point, but it's not the same. Adjusting the limit screws on a bike is painfully easy....I taught my little sis when she was 14 how to years ago. It's not hard at all.

However I do own a car a bit north of $40k.....and my timing chain requires dropping the whole engine and bunch of other silly sh*t. Up until my Passat before this car, I did all my own work on my cars. But now a days only think I dare due is change a wiper blade.

Computers same deal, it's a bit more complicated that turning a screw and you can't "see" what's happening. I'm fine with people who don't get computers. But then again, I'm a mac guy so I have zero issues
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

TŠ mť ar meisce.
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo
    Kinda get your point, but it's not the same. Adjusting the limit screws on a bike is painfully easy....I taught my little sis when she was 14 how to years ago. It's not hard at all.

However I do own a car a bit north of $40k.....and my timing chain requires dropping the whole engine and bunch of other silly sh*t. Up until my Passat before this car, I did all my own work on my cars. But now a days only think I dare due is change a wiper blade.

Computers same deal, it's a bit more complicated that turning a screw and you can't "see" what's happening. I'm fine with people who don't get computers. But then again, I'm a mac guy so I have zero issues

My point is some people can ride, some can wrench and some can do both, some neither. What one finds easy another might think is the most complicated procedure in the world.

But this has nothing to do with Vassago, so I will go back to lurk mode
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by 29buzz

Jenson has them for sale too. I picked up one before someone posted the ebay link for the silver ones (still look cnc to me) $9.95 plus $4 shipping.

I got mine free shipping for $19.99 from Jenson
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...anger++67.aspx

Just make SURE you select #67 - it defaults to #66 not the right one
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is it painfully ironic that the t shirts were a huge success, sold out, and now they have someone rushing the get shirts printed out to meet the mad rush? From the t shirt page:

Limited edition Ron Burgundy Tee and sticker

You asked for it, you got it. Based on the email demands to recreate this blog post image as a tee shirt...we did!

Forums are an invaluable resource in any consumer driven sport, there is no question about that. Unfortunately when any group of people achieve a critical mass, you are bound to get some d-bags in the mix. It is just the law of averages.

So to all the forum-aficionados, armchair-experts and wet diapered baby-men on the interweb, we salute you with this special edition tee shirt and sticker action pack!

Note: The first round of these sold out in 2 days... Our silk screen heros over at Factotum Screenprinting are doing a rush order to fill the rest of the orders.

Learn from your past mistakes. Of course, anyone that ordered a T shirt and would have to wait would not really care, right?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Of course, anyone that ordered a T shirt and would have to wait would not really care, right?

mtbr member
    Just ordered me a Tshirt
    anything Steel

mtbr member
    All this proves is that he can run a t-shirt business better than a bike business, and again still just resells other peoples goods.

banned
    Capitalize and exploit I suppose. Clearly Vassago is reading. Interesting to note that their comment feature is turned off, on their own blog.

mtbr member
    The t shirts are already sold out huh? Damn, what's a poser to do?

mtbr member
    If you want professionalism and class, go back to the office and put in some extra hours. Then listen real hard to what all of the suits are saying behind closed doors....I'm sure it's not too far off, regardless of what they're selling or who their customers are. Really...In the end, what does it matter? I'd rather buy from someone who has the balls to speak his mind any hour of the day, rather than someone who is too afraid to offend people so they put up a false front of "professionalism".

Can anyone honestly say they're never used similar language before? And can you honestly say that you were truly offended? If so, I think you take yourself way too seriously.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    All this proves is that he can run a t-shirt business better than a bike business, and again still just resells other peoples goods.
    Like 75% percent of all manufactures. Just to name a few. Surly, Salsa, Niner, Specialized, Kona, Marin, the list goes on and on. Sounds like the shirt fits you like a glove. So many vaginal men on this forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0