Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!

I didn't see any Mooseknuckle threads, so here goes.

My first venture into the Vassago world, and the ti realm, so killing two birds with one stone. I like it. Alot. Seems like a really well made frame, and it rides wonderfully.

I'll show mine if you show yours....

Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!-img_4277.jpg

Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!-img_4299.jpg

Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!-img_4301.jpg

Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!-img_4306.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pretty frame and ohhh, look at that fork, nice stuff

I got a Message arriving later this week, custom tuned.
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Pretty frame and ohhh, look at that fork, nice stuff

I got a Message arriving later this week, custom tuned.
    Yep, the Lauf is pretty cool. The frame is a placekeeper for the Jones ti Spaceframe LWB (out of stock in my size for the forseeable future) so I built the front wheel on a 150 hub, hence the need for a fat front fork.

I also have an Enve fat fork that I will try out.

The Lauf was pleasantly invisible on chop/roots/rocks. No bounciness or unpleasant dynamics that I could detect.

Overall the bike rides fantastically well, and I think the 60mm travel of the Lauf is a very nice compliment to the natural flex in the ti frame.
    When combined with the 29x3 setup at typical pressures (11 front, 13.5 rear), the combo was velvety smooth.

mtbr member
    Not a Moose, but here my Optimus.

Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!-optimusti.jpg

Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!-optimusti-2.jpg
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Very nice build. What size is your Mooseknuckle and what does that it weigh? I'm considering a Moose, but still on the fence. The large Moose geo is very similar to the older large full squish big tire bike I'm riding now but with a slightly longer reach. At the same time I'm seeing much longer top tubes and steeper/slacker ST/HD angles on many newer bikes that I may want to try out.

Now that you've had it for a while, how are you liking it and what ride did you come from to compare it to?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Radimus Ti here.

Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!-d31f9e54-f8c3-47e6-b5c0-629e6bc9a228.jpg
    CADRE RACING

Vassago Radimus
    Kona Wozo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdixon View Post
    Very nice build. What size is your Mooseknuckle and what does that it weigh? I'm considering a Moose, but still on the fence. The large Moose geo is very similar to the older large full squish big tire bike I'm riding now but with a slightly longer reach. At the same time I'm seeing much longer top tubes and steeper/slacker ST/HD angles on many newer bikes that I may want to try out.

Now that you've had it for a while, how are you liking it and what ride did you come from to compare it to?

Thanks
    So sorry for the delayed reply - I've just finished with a cross-country move amidst Covid, and am only now getting my feet on the ground.

I'm absolutely loving the 'knuckle. Mine is (allegedly) a Large from my initial conversations with Tom, though I measured it at 18.5" (center of BB to top of seatpost), which falls somewhere between Medium and Large on the geo chart.

I weighed it (with cages and pedals) at a hair over 26 pounds. One could easily build this as a 25 pound plus bike with 40mm carbon rims and other weight saving choices (seatpost, etc).

I've removed the Lauf fork (which is amazing until it encounters repeated/choppy terrain, at which point it is a nightmare), and have installed an Enve Fat fork. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE the Enve. Super stiff, but also very smooth and precise.

I get compliments all the time when riding. It is a beautiful bike, and I aspire to become a rider worthy of its potential.
    Time to get my old ass back in shape.

Photos coming soon!

-Scott

mtbr member

Update - new bars, new fork

I've replaced the Lauf with an Enve, and am super happy with the results.
    Like.
    Super happy.

The Lauf was dreamy on undulating terrain and the occasional root or rock.

What I found, however, was that it became downright dangerous on technical singletrack - it was like riding a jackhammer.

Live and learn.

The Enve is a huge improvement, and I am completely in love with the ride quality of this bike.
    The Jones experience is still better, in my opinion, but this is pretty damn sweet.

I've also installed a new bar.
    Since trying a Jones bar many years ago, I became a convert to the swept bar philosophy. Way better in all respects (for me) - less wrist and hand strain, more control in technical terrain, and more hand positions.
    On a whim, I ordered the Koga Denham trekking handlebar (designed by global bike traveler Alee Denham), as it seems to offer the sweet spot between sweep (40 degrees), width (710mm) and integrated "barends" at a similar width to my beloved old school (80's/90's) setup.

After the apparently tortuous journey from Holland to New Mexico (I ordered the bar in April, and it just arrived last week), I received two of these bars, as ordered.

I was somewhat disappointed to see that the bar has a 25.4 clamp diameter (vs the anticipated/common 31.8), but a simple shim later, the bar was on. These bars are incredibly hard to obtain. Koga does not sell them directly, and I could only find one legitimate source - a bike trekking shop in Holland. Eeesent dat vieeerd? - (goldmember)

I've only had a few rides with this bar, but I can say that it has met and exceeded my expectations. On the grips, it feels much like the beloved Jones bar. Unlike the Jones, however, the horns provide a perfect spot to perch one's hands on long straights, and emulate the position of road bike hoods for climbing. Absolutely wonderful. Anyone who remembers the days of John Tomac and Ned Overend will know the joy of pulling on narrowly spaced barends. This bar provides that, in addition to the benefit of modern wide bars.

Although designed as a trekking/touring bar, they (IMO) offer an excellent option for mountain biking. They are just a bit challenging to obtain.

https://www.cyclingabout.com/koga-denham-bars/

https://www.cyclingabout.com/who-is-alee-denham/

Hell yeah.

Alrighty, pics below

Although the source image in my files for the second photo is correctly oriented, it seems it is rotated 90 degrees to the left as an attachment here. Any guidance is welcomed

-Scott

Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!-mooseknuckle-jul-2020-2.jpg

Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!-mooseknuckle-jul-2020-3.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vassago Mooseknuckle - Post yours!-mooseknuckle-jul-2020-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    Radimus Ti here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D31F9E54-F8C3-47E6-B5C0-629E6BC9A228.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	487.8 KB 
ID:	1347295
    Nice Radimus!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the response and glad youíve got a fork youíre liking. I ended up buying a like-new large frame Mooseknuckle 2nd hand and sent it right to Tom at Vassago who installed a Paragon belt break in the seat stay. Tom was great; good communication and he turned it around in about a week. Very clean; canít see any weld marks. I hadnít seen a belt drive MN yet.

Still building it up but pics are below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    By the way, my large frame is a full 20Ē on the seat tube and you can see the longer supports on it compared to your frame. Sounds like you may have a hybrid size at 18.5 or custom. They could have made a lower seat tube on a large, so for comparison, my large measures 23 ⅝ from the center of the head tube where it intersects the top tube to the center of the seat tube where the top tube crosses it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdixon View Post
    Thanks for the response and glad youíve got a fork youíre liking. I ended up buying a like-new large frame Mooseknuckle 2nd hand and sent it right to Tom at Vassago who installed a Paragon belt break in the seat stay. Tom was great; good communication and he turned it around in about a week. Very clean; canít see any weld marks. I hadnít seen a belt drive MN yet.

Still building it up but pics are below.
    Great looking build!
    I had a belt drive with IGH on one of my commuter bikes several years back, and LOVED it.
    Great to see that you also had a good experience with Tom.

Also great to get your info on the measurements. It definitely looks as if mine is a hybrid M/L or perhaps an unclaimed custom frame.

I've been loving it on my local high desert singletrack (Santa Fe, NM). I constantly get compliments from folks. It is such an unusual an stylish design.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Iím really liking this bike. Iím coming from an older Ventana Comandante SS and this geometry, ti tubes and bigger tires are a lot more comfortable. The current build includes a 140mm fork, and while not ideal I had it sitting around the garage so thatís how itís starting life.

Hereís a shot on a morning loop from my house.