AOK
    mtbr member

Vassago love, Who would have thunk it?

Thought I would post up some pics of my new VerHauen. I have been tinkering with the idea of getting something lighter and maybe a little more XC oriented than my Gen 2 Nimble9. I was looking at the Salsa El Mariachi (both Ti and Steel), Niner SIR, Carver 420, Titus Fireline, etc. I was very close to grabbing a Niner SIR, despite my dislike of the EBB when I stumbled across the VerHauen.

USA made steel, very nice finish, PMW sliding dropouts, and a better (IMO) geometry than the traditional Vassago frames made the VerHauen seem like a contender. When I pinged Tom at Vassago about availability he told me my preferred size & color was out of stock, but offered me a nice discount on one of their demo frames as long as I could put up with a few scratches in the paint. Sold! Given that Vassago was not even on my radar when I starting looking, I was a little surprised that I ended up with one.

Out of the box, the frame looks very nice. The translucent powder coat finish is really cool. I had another frame (a Siren) with this finish a few years ago and loved it as well.

Vassago love,  Who would have thunk it?-img_2473.jpg

Vassago love,  Who would have thunk it?-img_2519.jpg

I know they are just dropouts, but the PMW sliders have better fit/finish than the sliders on any other frame I have owned. I don't know why more companies don't choose this route (rather than developing their own sliders). With the PMW, you get a really nice product, and you allow your customers to have pretty much any axle / brake mount / der hanger config out there. I really appreciate this as I prefer a 142x12 rear, which is not an option on many hard tails (including my N9).

It took me a while to track down my fork of choice - X-Fusion Trace with the GSA and Unicrown options - so the frame has been sitting in my garage for a few weeks. I finally received my fork yesterday so I was able to take my first ride today.

Vassago love,  Who would have thunk it?-img_2520.jpg

My overall impression was "smooth". Great steel feel to the ride, yet stiff enough to launch forward when I put down the power. I have the fork set at 120mm travel, and the geo seems just right for what I was looking for. Handling was great. As expected it is a quicker ride than the N9, but still handles the downhills just as well. For super chunk, more AM style riding, the N9 would be better. For the general XC/trail stuff that I tackle, the VerHauen is more than up to the task.

Vassago love,  Who would have thunk it?-img_2523.jpg

Vassago love,  Who would have thunk it?-img_2525.jpg

All in all, I am very impressed. Vassago has a winner on their hands with the VerHauen. I am a little surprised that you don't see more about this frame out there. It is a really nice made in USA frame at a price that is fairly competitive for what you get. I am thinking that this will be my go-to hard tail for a while.

Vassago love,  Who would have thunk it?-img_2469.jpg

mtbr member
    If or when I need to replace my Bandersnatch, a Sparkleninja black VerHauen is on the top of my list. Thanks for making me want one more.
    Life is not a spectator sport

http://www.facebook.com/landsharkracing

mtbr member
    How does it compare to the N9? I have the N9 and I love it...but I've been thinking about selling it to try something else and Vassago is top of the list. Probably not the VerHauen due to price...I just spent $2300 on a road bike today and another $200 on pedals...needless to say, I'm broke. I'd need a frame I can buy with what I sold the N9 for.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I own the Ti version, and it shreds!!!!!
    I really want to throw a leg over the Verhauen though...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

AOK
    mtbr member

The VerHauen is lighter and has more of the lively steel feel to it than the N9. The N9 is slacker, and feels that way on the trail. With the 120 fork, the VerHauen does great downhill and doesn't give up a lot to the N9. Like I said above, if you are in steeper more technical terrain, the N9 would likely be the better choice, but for XC or trail use, the VerHauen is great.

The N9 is much heavier - my size large was ~7.5 lbs. I forgot to weight the VerHauen frame but it probably around 5-5.5 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I own the Ti version, and it shreds!!!!!
    I really want to throw a leg over the Verhauen though...
    Yeah same here! Now I have 1 more bike on my wish list, need to save some cash first though!

Great bike!
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    This frame is on my watch list also.....I am considering a swap with my Stumpjumper EVO ht frame down the road.

My other 29er is a steel single speed Civilian Luditte, which makes the Stumpy EVO frames biggest downfall really shine ....... being aluminum.

mtbr member
    I was planning to get this frame in a few months, right before summer, but it seems he is all sold out in my size. Did he happen to mention when he was getting another batch?
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The Verhauen was top of my list and Vassago is local to me here in Phx. Tom seems like a super-nice guy, very responsive. You must have gotten the last blem L frame. I was hoping to get that one!

I ended up picking up a ti Kona Raijin yesterday.

Your Vassago is super-sweet, though.

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    I was planning to get this frame in a few months, right before summer, but it seems he is all sold out in my size. Did he happen to mention when he was getting another batch?
    I think Tom said 60 days... But that was probably 20 or 30 days ago.

Email him - he responds quickly.

AOK
    mtbr member

One thing I forgot to mention. My only real gripe with the frame so far is the derailleur cable routing. I would much prefer full housing runs.

Not sure if you can see it in the photos, but I took matters into my own hands and ran full housing using the brake guides under the top tube and two stick on guides on the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Loving life on my VerHauen and its been 8 months since I got it....always my first pick when I go riding.

Just A Mountain Biker.

I got one too!

Picked up mine from Tom last week, couldn't be happier. I was also considering the N9, YS, TransAm but realized I don't do that much "AM" riding that those bikes are built for, I am more of an AZ XC rider (not racer!). The weight, fit & finish of the bike is beyond belief, feels great and after my first couple rides this past weekend I have permagrin. Only thing I have ordered is a Syntace P6 Hiflex carbon post to soften up the back end just a bit, but I would have done that with any hardtail.

OP - it handles OK at 120? I wasn't sure it was rated for that, I also picked up the X-Fusion from Vassago but it came at 100, was thinking about changing it to 120.

Pic of course...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vassago love,  Who would have thunk it?-verhauen.jpg  

MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

AOK
    mtbr member

Handling seems fine to me with a 120 fork.

Vassago website shows recommended fork travel as 100-120 on one page and 80-100 on another (same error for the Optimus Ti, fwiw).

I asked Tom about this and he confirmed that the VerHauen is designed around a 100-120 travel fork and that there is no issue running 120.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I scored the last large green Verhauen frame at the $850 price a couple of weeks ago. Build should be done any day now. I'm replacing my One 9 and plan to initially build it SS, but keeping in mind potentially going geared. I'm a big proponent of the slack HTA and short chainstays. Based on all the reviews, I anticipate a really nice bike. I had a Bandersnatch a couple of years ago, but couldn't warm up to the geometry or weight. My gripes with the 'snatch seem to have been "fixed" in the Verhauen.

And you have to love that "Verhauen" is "spank" in German.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    How does it compare to the N9? I have the N9 and I love it...
    Has your N9 even been built? You've had a green N9 on and off sale basically since you got it and I don't think you ever even built it up.

mtbr member
    Love the look of the clear powder coat!
    I'm building up a none more satin black which will be a 1x10, mostly XT/XTR and am looking for a deal on a 100mm Reba fork.
    Probably going to be a long build as I'm buying as I can afford parts/find good deals.
    The 18" frame weighed 4# 7oz on my home scale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Got my eye on one of these. I can't believe you can get OX platinum and US construction for around $1000. That puts it within reach of chinese titanium but without the whole "box of chocolates" frame construction.

To the folks that own- what's your take on the headtube angle? Chainstays are in line with what I want, and the large frame would give me a nice reach with a nice eTT, but the HTA, unsagged, comes in at 70, which is a bit steeper than other options I have been oogling. I test rode a spec crave SL, but was underwhelmed. It just felt like a bike, not a trail destroying missile like I had hoped, and I think it was because it was too sharp and long.

AOK
    mtbr member

HTA seems about right for me with a 120mm fork. Handles well in the tight single track that I usually ride but still slack enough to bomb the downs.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want a really slack AM style hard tail I would recommend the Canfield N9 or Yelli.

For more general trail use, the VerHauen is great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    One of the first-gen verhauen frames just popped up on my local bike forum in Eastern Europe of all places. 400 bucks used with a Chris King headset. Somebody talk me out of it...anybody run one in 27.5+? How big a 29er tire can clear out back? I have a fisticuff that I've ridden across the US and love for gravel / dirt road exploring but would be nice to have a light SS fatter tire bike for winter

Vassago love,  Who would have thunk it?-img_8192_3.jpg