Used bike question - Stumpjumper ST shock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Used bike question - Stumpjumper ST shock

I went to check out a very slightly used 2019 Stumpjumper st and when I sat on the bike to ride it the shock went all the way down. Just from sitting on it. The owner said the bike hasnít been ridden for about 4-5 months or so. Will the rear shock lose ALL of its air in that time or do you guys think something is wrong with the rear shock? I did have a shock pump with me to pump it up to see if was indeed holding air but then again I would hav even around the bike long enough to see if it was losing air after being pumped up.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Who knows? The only way to tell is to pump it up and spray some soapy water on it and see if you get bubbles.

mtbr member
    A shock shouldn't lose a lot of pressure in that time.

It's possible that the schraeder valve is a little loose and needs to be tightened...but...I've never had that happen or even heard of it happening in a shock.

It doen't feel right to me.

Anyway, the questions for you are:
    1. will the bike still be a good deal if you need to pay ~$150 to have the shock rebuilt? (I'd check this price just in case there's some proprietary weirdness that costs you extra)
    2. can you deal with the uncertainty?
    3. can you deal with the faffing of having to check the shock every ride until you know that is or isn't ok?
    4. are you willing to lose the week or so of riding time if you need to have the shock rebuilt?

If you can answer yes to all of the above, the bike might be worth buying. If not, then walk away and don't look back

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Odd---One has to wonder about someone selling a bike and does not even make sure one can ride it-----
    I never have had this issue with a fox shock---so I'd guess this one needs a rebuild which for sure it should not need since it is near new--and is claimed not to have been ridden much.
    I would be very suspect about this bikes story----what else is an issue that may be hidden.

Hate to say but this feels fishy so I'd use caution

mtbr member
    My Alloy ST came with an xfusion, which has never lost air pressure.
    As others have said, make sure to check everything closely and plan on a shock rebuild.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks guys I will revisit and see if I can get him to pump it up and I will inspect further and if I move forward I will plan on a rebuild or possible even get him to visit the shop and see what they ca do since the bike is less than a year old and he is the original owner. Fortunately for me I donít think this is anything malicious since I know the individual through mutual friends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    May turn out the shock just needs seals----parts are about $20 and one can do this themselves if they have a bit of mechanical skill-----no special tools needed. Plenty of youtube videos on this-----takes me about an hour.