Used 27.5+ or 29er Steel Hardtail suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Used 27.5+ or 29er Steel Hardtail suggestions?

Hey All, I’ve been lurking on this forum for quite a while and am trying to buy my first legitimate mountain bike.
    I’m looking for an ‘everything’ bike.. I’d like to ride trails, goof around on jumps and drops, ride on roads, etc..

I believe steel would be the best bet for me. I would like front suspension, but also would like to keep options open for putting a ridged fork on in the future and being confident that the bike would still hold up.

Eventually, I’d like to have a 29er wheelset with slicks and a 650b set for trails.

I will be buying it used. Thus far, with my minimal knowledge of quality steel mountain bikes, I have my eyes on brands such as Soma, Salsa (El Mariachi), Surly (KM), Ritchey (P-29).

I would love it if you all could help me broaden this list as much as possible since I am not terribly picky and would appreciate all suggestions for bikes that have similar geometry to what I listed above. Slacker the better (I think?)

Many thanks!

mtbr member
    Hi there, what budget range did you want to be in?

mtbr member
    Where are you located?
    How tall are you?
    What's you overall budget?

There's a ton of discussion of steel hardtails in the singlespeed forum. A Kona Unit or Vassago Jabberwocky- might suit you too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for the replys. I will check out both of those. $600 max is my budget. It seems that that is a bit under what most of those bikes go for, but I have seen a couple completed ebay listings for for a couple of those bikes from $500-$600. Those KMs seem to hold their value like crazy! I’m in WA state and 5’7”. Standover couldn’t be more than 30”. 28”-29” would be better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliewa View Post
    I’m in WA state and 5’7”. Standover couldn’t be more than 30”. 28”-29” would be better.
    Standover is not important. You stand on a pedal to get on and off your bike. Lean it. Cockpit fit is what matters when you ride.
    Watch this video about taking off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks. I understand, but with this geometry I am really close to being able to stand over it which would be realllly nice for numerous reasons.