Upgrading Rims on my Spesh comp carbon evoR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Upgrading Rims on my Spesh comp carbon evoR

Got about $1000-1200 to spend on upgrading my rims...2 simple questions...

1) Is it worth it???

I'm 'average'. Been doing mtb for almost one year (fitness freak always)...Just started racing... I finish top half or better in Novice...and but ready to move up a notch which will put me in back half. Don't mind spending the money, but I know I can really improve on my cardio. Worth spoiling myself? Noticable?

2) Which ones (duh)?

I liked reviews here for the newest carbon Spesh wheels (1200). Stan's seemed nice too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The carbons look nice .
    They should be great wheels. And they can go on to anything you get in the future.
    I built up ArchEX rims on an ebay star ratchet oem rear and ZTR front with two rears for 500 and they would work fine also. Two fully loaded wheelsets would be an advantage for racing.

mtbr member
    Here's a good argument for the carbon Rovals over a Stans set Project 1.2 Initial Review: Rovalís $1,200 hookless Control Carbon 29 wheelset - Bike Rumor. From my personal experience having owned Stans wheel sets and both carbon and alloy Roval wheel sets I have to say for the price of the Control carbon Rovals you're not going to find a better bang for your buck.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

I like turtles
    Have you considered the regular aluminum Roval Controls? They are only 100g heavier and cost ~$500 less. Same hubs. I have them and they have held up great and are a reasonable weight for daily use (not that these carbon ones aren't). If the new ~$1200 carbon ones would have been out when I got mine I may have considered them.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Members who have read this thread: 0