Upgrades !!!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Upgrades !!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Upgrades !!!!!

Hi all,

I currently ride a 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper HT 29er. Everything is stock except (i) saddle (it's my ten-year old Fizik Gobi), (ii) tires (Hans Dampfs plus a weird, heavy but awesome inner-tube / tubeless hybrid setup that allows you to run lower pressure without burping or damaging rims) and (iii) I made it a 1x10. It's a little bit split personality: cross-country bones and overall philosophy, but trail like with the tires.

I bought a Salsa Pony Rustler a few months ago as a result want to make my Stumpy a bit more cross country race oriented. In fact, i signed up for a 6-hour mtb race this fall. Riding will still be in the northeast, so we're talkin tight single track, tight turns, roots, single rocks, groups of rocks, piles of rocks, large piles of rocks, rock gardens. Also, rocks.

Other than swapping out the tires, what are the upgrades that will make sense and be worth it?

Wheels? Would a set of crossmaxes be worth it? I've never actually owned nice wheels before so i really have no idea what the diference is over the stock Rovals. But i have heard that this level of Roval is kind of flexy and heavy. But in comparison to what? I have no idea, so i'm asking you!

HOw about fork? The bike has an 80mm travel (which no one seems to make anymore) Rockshox Reba. It's fine, but it flexes when you ride the bike hard (although nothing like my old 2007 vintage race bike with the ROckshox SID with willowy stanchions) and it softens bumps but does not "absorb" them by any stretch. Could i put a 100mm travel fork on it? If i did, would there be any effect other than to make the head angle slightly slacker, which may really not be a bad thing? And, do forks make a huge difference here? My only comparison is hte Salsa with its Fox trail fork. It's real smooth over the bumps but i sometimes find the bike "dives" when approaching obstacles, but i think it's just the fact that i'm still learning how to ride the bike (it requires a lot less body English than the Stumpy)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. The current character of the bike with the new tires is that i can hit things hard and traction is good. I plan to maintain that character. I just want to see if it can be lighter and stiffer !!

mtbr member
    I'd stay away from kit wheels like Mavic. Everything on them requires their stuff: their spokes, their tools, their qualified blah blah blah. I have a set of Mavic hoops that I regret. Not a bad wheel just doesn't suit me. My suggestion for a wheels is to talk to a wheel builder. I use Dave's Wheels in AZ - he can do anything for you and meet your price point just let him (or anyone for that matter) know.

I had the REBA a long time, but recently upgraded to the Fox SC - what an amazing fork. I couldn't believe it. It's my favorite fork.

Have fun upgrading!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Okay word. Thanks for the input! I wouldn’t have thought of that aspect of high end factory wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can build your next wheelset using carbon rims from CarbonFan or another Chinese supplier. DT 350 hubs(Bike24) and spokes like Sapim Lasers(Treefort) with brass nipples(Sapim Polyax) for corrosion protection and longevity. Seems like high-end for a first build but carbon rims are so easy to tension and true they almost build themselves. Do the research on YouTube and here-
    Wheels About $650. Go at least 30mm inner rim width.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks! Sounds like i will have a dope-a$$ wheelset for much less than i thought

Out spokin'
    Def do the wheel thing. As for long forking your frame, I've done it at least a half dozen times, never with regret. I used to worry that I'd wreck everything by changing the HA a degree or degree and a half but in truth it really doesn't make much of a difference in handling, meanwhile you have more bump absorption.

Couple factors to consider, tho. Yeah it'll slacken your HA a bit. And your STA to the same degree. You'll also raise your BB a little but maybe that'll be a good thing considering you've got rocks, rocks and more rocks to ride over.

Got dropper post? I know you want to keep it light but holy smoke them thangs be worth they weight! No longer will you have to slow down for corners. If I were a road rider, I'd have one on my road bike and I'm not even kidding.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    awesome.

Thanks for the tip! Maybe i will do. Thought those droppers were more of a "All MOuntain" thing but from what you say, sounds like that's not necessarily the case

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    PS, 30mm inner rim, for real? that sounds wide for XC. Do you not wind up with a tire shape that the tires are not exactly designed for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You do have to choose tires designed for wide rims. It's a choice away from older designs from Maxxis and Schwalbe. 25mm would be ok for those. You can use Frank Stacy designed Bontrager XR2 Teams with the 30mm. Higher volume, more rounded profile tread pattern for lower pressures. Bigger footprint and traction. Can work well as a combo for hardpack with loose rocks/roots- more technical than marathon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    sweet.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Maybe this is crazy but I am considering doing this. Rather than choose, wheels, dropper post or fork, w the money I save, I could upgrade ALL OF THEM

mtbr member
    Or you could buy a new bike.

You know, N + 1...

Have fun!