mtbr member
    May 2015

Upgrade to SWorks frame or Carbon wheels?

I have an Epic Expert 2017 with alloy wheels. Now I have a chance to upgrade to an Sworks frame or Roval Control SLs. Which one should I go for first? Ill add just about a thousand more for both. 1000 + my frame for Sworks frame / 1000 to buy a second hand Roval Control SLs.

Anyone running SWorks Epic on alloy rims?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Roval Control SLs will give you more bang for the buck, performance wise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    +1 on the wheelset. That's probably the most impactfull upgrade you can make.

The new frame may give you SWAT but you can always get a saddle bag or something. The wheels will give you similar weight benefits as the frame but also improve the feel of your ride.
    If you have 1K for wheels there are other great carbon alternatives worth checking out (albeit from China) but many good reviews around for those too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My thoughts are neither. You mentioned used wheels = no warranty.

Save a little more and you can get a nice new carbon wheelset- doesn't have to have the big S on it.

But definitely skip the frame- you already have a carbon front triangle- you won't gain much going to the SWorks.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Spend your $ on a custom set of wheels with carbon rims. Much better option IMHO.

mtbr member
    Wheels.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks guys. I was mainly leaning on that maybe just wanted to know what people think and If someone answered the frame, I would want to know why.

I even read alot of carbon frame vs carbon wheelset and almost everyone answered wheelset.

Now Im thinking neither. Yeah no warranty would suck and thats my only problem getting the wheelset, what if I break it?? (I dented a crest before) Im only about 66.5kg

Now Im here looking at my bike and just want to enjoy it as is.

btw thanks for the reply guys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayday View Post
    I have an Epic Expert 2017 with alloy wheels. Now I have a chance to upgrade to an Sworks frame or Roval Control SLs. Which one should I go for first? Ill add just about a thousand more for both. 1000 + my frame for Sworks frame / 1000 to buy a second hand Roval Control SLs.

Anyone running SWorks Epic on alloy rims?
    Wheels.

My 2018 Epic Comp came with alloy wheels and moving to DT Swiss XMC 1200 carbon weeks saved me 500 grams. The control SL are 100grams lighter than my XMC1200's The difference between my frame and S-works frame is 138 grams.

This might be bigger on the 2017 models. but dollar for dollar wheels are better savings.

Here is a post I created documenting my build out of my 2018 Epic. Just about every part was weighed.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2...s-1073925.html

BTW... need to update the wheels as they were 1980 grams without tires. The 2200+ is accurate with tires and stans. The tires were much heavier than published.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yeah I did check out your thread.

And now Im thinking carbon cockpit would make my bike wayyy lighter than getting an Sworks frame.

Maybe wait for a better deal on the rims or frame later on, Im not really in a rush.