Unsprung Weight Change Noticeable?- Mtbr.com
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

Unsprung Weight Change Noticeable?

I recently upgraded the wheels on my Sultan from sturdy, not real light wheels, and heavy-ish tires (I9/Flow wheels and Ardent 2.4s) to sturdy, noticeably lighter wheels and lighter tires (DT 240/Edge AM rims and Racing Ralph 2.25s) that made about a 600g weight difference. My impression is that the loss of unsprung weight has affected the handling and suspension response. Before I bias people's responses with my opinions, I'd like to hear from others about whether or not they noticed a difference in handling and suspension response.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    unsprung weight is the enemy of all [suspension fitted] wheeled vehicles.
    the less unsprung weight there is, the less work the shocks have to do controlling wheel/suspension motion which translates to better traction etc...

my old trance became a different bike when I took the hack wheels off and loaded up the race hoops, much like your experience. I had 2 sets of rebound adjustments which I would switch accordingly depending on which wheelset was fitted

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    I recently upgraded the wheels on my Sultan from sturdy, not real light wheels, and heavy-ish tires (I9/Flow wheels and Ardent 2.4s) to sturdy, noticeably lighter wheels and lighter tires (DT 240/Edge AM rims and Racing Ralph 2.25s) that made about a 600g weight difference. My impression is that the loss of unsprung weight has affected the handling and suspension response. Before I bias people's responses with my opinions, I'd like to hear from others about whether or not they noticed a difference in handling and suspension response.
    Changes in unsprung weight can require damping adjustments. Just changing tires and inflation pressure can, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0