• 08-23-2010
    2TurnersNotEnough
    Unsprung Weight Change Noticeable?
    I recently upgraded the wheels on my Sultan from sturdy, not real light wheels, and heavy-ish tires (I9/Flow wheels and Ardent 2.4s) to sturdy, noticeably lighter wheels and lighter tires (DT 240/Edge AM rims and Racing Ralph 2.25s) that made about a 600g weight difference. My impression is that the loss of unsprung weight has affected the handling and suspension response. Before I bias people's responses with my opinions, I'd like to hear from others about whether or not they noticed a difference in handling and suspension response.
  • 08-23-2010
    slidecontrol
    unsprung weight is the enemy of all [suspension fitted] wheeled vehicles.
    the less unsprung weight there is, the less work the shocks have to do controlling wheel/suspension motion which translates to better traction etc...

my old trance became a different bike when I took the hack wheels off and loaded up the race hoops, much like your experience. I had 2 sets of rebound adjustments which I would switch accordingly depending on which wheelset was fitted
  • 08-23-2010
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    I recently upgraded the wheels on my Sultan from sturdy, not real light wheels, and heavy-ish tires (I9/Flow wheels and Ardent 2.4s) to sturdy, noticeably lighter wheels and lighter tires (DT 240/Edge AM rims and Racing Ralph 2.25s) that made about a 600g weight difference. My impression is that the loss of unsprung weight has affected the handling and suspension response. Before I bias people's responses with my opinions, I'd like to hear from others about whether or not they noticed a difference in handling and suspension response.

Changes in unsprung weight can require damping adjustments. Just changing tires and inflation pressure can, too.