Under the bus I go...- Mtbr.com
    Purveyor of Fine 29erness

Under the bus I go...

well here I am.
    I've been lurking here for a long time. Coincidentally, I have been planning to do this all along, it's just been the timing that has prevented me from doing it.
    My name is George. I live in VT, home to some of the funnest singletrack on the planet. I have done it all when it comes to bikes. I started out as a lowly basic assembler, and even worked my way up to Sales Manager of a high end manufacturer (that shall go nameless). I've been riding bikes in the woods on two continents for almost 23 years.
    I got bit by the bug not long after my job as "Sales Manager". I was sooooo burnt out on bikes bikes bikes, riding bikes, looking at bikes, having anything to do with bikes. Every time I looked at my bike I got sick, until I bought a totally rigid Surly KM, about 3 years ago. I was working for a very large snowboard company (love #2). The joy came back. I got soft and bought a fork, but I did go single speed, so is that a wash?
    Is this redemption? Or the entrepenurial spirit kicking in?
    Either way, all of you on this board have helped and inspired me to get the stoke back.
    After spending my last 2 years beating my head against the wall, I came to the realization that a} life is too short to miss out on the things that matter most for any reason, and b} just because someone hands you a pile of sh1t, you dont have to take it (thank you Henry Rollins!).
    I took control of my destiny again, gave my middle fingers to the "man", and decided to do my own thing.
    Which is to open a 29" specific bike store. I want to give back, to the very thing that helped me find my way again. I know most of you guys get it. I hope I can do you proud.
    And, for what it's worth,
    Here I am,
    (rock you like a hurricane)

Moderator Moderator
    Very cool. You are taking the plunge, that is for sure! Good luck and make some nice turns for me next time you hit Stowe. Very cool place to live and open up a shop!

Work Shed...
    Killer! Can't wait till its up and running!
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

mtbr member
    Hey George. Will this be in southern Vermont per chance? I'm in western MA and i'd be really cool to have a great shop like that not too far away.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monkey
    just because someone hands you a pile of sh1t, you dont have to take it (thank you Henry Rollins!).
    Hammerin' Hank is the MAN. Next boy to be born will be Henry (with Rollins as the inspiration), but we will call him Hank. We like short names, Ryan, Jack are the names so far. We are going to have one more and we feel like we are fated to have all boys, it is still a while off though, I got to get out of school first. ANYWAY, sorry, back to the bikes.

I too got sick of bikes for a bit after being involved in the industry. I don't think I will ever take a job related to bikes ever again. I wish to keep it as just a hobby/way of life/passion, but not have to derive my living from it. Somehow that tainted it for me. Anyway, I ride lots now and I have found the love again too, much to my wife's and our bank account's chagrin.
    Last edited by Law; 02-20-2006 at 10:00 PM.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm it's destiny

You have come full circle. Many difficulties shaped you for this. Now is the time to stick it to the man....
    Last edited by sherpasd; 02-21-2006 at 10:26 AM.

breathing helium
    Sounds like a eureka kind of moment. Congrats! It's not too often that we have that feeling without many beers involved. This sounds like you are following your heart and it will never intentionally steer you wrong. Keep us posted as things develop if you would. I'm on the opposite side of the country, but there's always post right?

Again, BIG congrats! I'm looking forward to it.

Recovering couch patato
    You're living my dream. Lots of power to you!

Thank you all

I'm still pulling my hair out getting my e-comm site up and running, but the retail store opens up March 2. If any of you guys get up this way, I'd love to meet you, and maybe go for a ride.
    I post this blog so people can keep track of things at B29.
    Come and visit often.
    G

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

Good Luck

I think you'll do fine. 29ers are just so flexible, they can be road bikes, cross bikes, or mtn bikes. The new standard. They do it all.

Are you going to carry Pugsleys too? (sortof a 29er)

I'm watching a new local shop struggle and it looks like a tough business. Gotta sell a lot of bikes just to pay the rent! I'd love to see your business plan.

BTW, one link is dead on your site...I think it was the industry nine link.

mtbr member
    As the owner of the first mtb specific shop in VT. (Wilmington, 1986) I wish you luck.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    I think you'll do fine. 29ers are just so flexible, they can be road bikes, cross bikes, or mtn bikes. The new standard. They do it all.

Are you going to carry Pugsleys too? (sortof a 29er)

Oh, yes, Pugsleys are definitely part of my offering.

BTW, one link is dead on your site...I think it was the industry nine link.
    Yeah, most of the site is under construction I'm afraid. One of the drawbacks to being a low budget start-up. There will be links there soon though. Most of it is hung up because of my e-comm site.
    But the blog link works, and I hope thay folks will visit it, get to know us, link to it, and spread the word.
    G

mtbr member
    Congratulations and best of luck to you! Will you also do some mail order or call in order business?

cheers,

Mark in Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Congratulations and best of luck to you! Will you also do some mail order or call in order business?

cheers,

Mark in Connecticut
    Yes, I will have a full e-commerce site as well as my retail location. That's the part that is giving me the most trouble right now. But it will be worth it, that I can promise.
    And hey, why do you have all of our snow?

Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    Hey George. Will this be in southern Vermont per chance? I'm in western MA and i'd be really cool to have a great shop like that not too far away.
    sorry, you'll have to drive up to central VT to come see me...Maybe if you wanted to come see Ben & Jerry's, you could drive the extra mile. I'm right down the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monkey
    Yes, I will have a full e-commerce site as well as my retail location. That's the part that is giving me the most trouble right now. But it will be worth it, that I can promise.
    And hey, why do you have all of our snow?
    Do you really want the snow though? Hell you are out riding and we aren't - well at least I'm not doing much riding right now. Hockey is occupying the majority of my time.

Although it is cool to see it staying light out longer and longer with each passing day!

Cheers,

Mark

all about the all about

well done monkey

Hell Yes! I lived in Burlington for 5yrs and worked @ Smuggs most of those winters, Rode at Stowe many days(on Jake of course), damn fine part of the planet.

Still have friends & family all over northern VT... make a couple trips a year from MI, I'll see you in the spring! John C

mtbr member

Wish you were in SLC

I commend you for going for it. I only wish your dream was playing out in SLC, we are getting a ton of momentum here w/ the 29ers, guess I'll have to patronize your website to show my support. Did I mention we have a couple of ski resorts out here? We get upwards of 500" of pow pow a year. Tempting???? Worth a try I guess. Anyway best of luck and we're all rootin' for you to succeed.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    As the owner of the first mtb specific shop in VT. (Wilmington, 1986) I wish you luck.
    that was your shop? whoa.

to the bike29 guy: good luck!
    i ride in waitsfield/warren in the summer sometimes, visiting my parents. great riding there, and loads of riders.

if you are open to suggestions: try to get some concession to rent bikes on the stowe bikepath. might make for some bread and butter.
    Only boring people get bored.

Nov 2005

you say 29 specific

are you going to supply other stuff too? ie 26 MTB and road bike stuff?

focusing on this niche is a great idea, certainly you will sell out a little and supply to all kinds (some of us have kids on small wheels you know).

Best of luck,
    Ken

PS hope no one rants about marketing talk....

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=After spending my last 2 years beating my head against the wall, I came to the realization that a} life is too short to miss out on the things that matter most for any reason, and b} just because someone hands you a pile of sh1t, you dont have to take it (thank you Henry Rollins!).
    QUOTE]

Man aint that the truth! Like most of us have or will do, I learned that the hard way 2. Never been happier! Now if I could only have all those days back I wasted climbing the mountain to nowhere to go climb mountains of singletrack. When will your site be active?
    Last edited by Fisty; 02-22-2006 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unit
    are you going to supply other stuff too? ie 26 MTB and road bike stuff?

focusing on this niche is a great idea, certainly you will sell out a little and supply to all kinds (some of us have kids on small wheels you know).

Best of luck,
    Ken

PS hope no one rants about marketing talk....
    I will have it all so to say. I am in the process of getting my retail space up and ready, where I will have a full repair shop.
    I'm also in the process of getting a major bike line in, that will take care of the local cycling market. I will carry everything.
    My brick and mortar is called Five Hills, representing the 5 Hills that the town of Waterbury was built on, and my e-tail shop is Bike 29.
    I will have both open for business within the next week to 10 days.
    Just keep checking the blog....
    G

Wandering not Lost

Best of luck to ya...

we have a place in Stowe...the singletrack around there is def choice...look forward to seeing your shop

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Former VT'r of 20+ years - Grew up in the area and spent all my winters dealing w/ the lovely weather/snowpack of Stowe, I now have it pretty sweet here in the Park City area but man do I miss good 'ole NE singletrack, the high alpine stuff is good, but the tight twisties of VT don't compare especially during fall foliage up at the Kingdom Trails. Still manage to squeek in some rides when i'm back seeing the folks and still have really good freinds in the Stowe/Johnson area, will definitely swing by and check it out next summer.

Good Luck!

D

amazing...

The amount of ex-VT pats I've heard from...
    Well, it only takes about 5 minutes on the saddle to realize what a cool place it is to live, despite our winters and seasonal infiltration of flatlanders (no offense to anyone, it's a VT thing).
    Seriously, if any of you get out here for a shop ride, you will not be disappointed.
    It's my mission to provide the 4 basic food groups to folks riding with Bike 29.
    Singletrack
    Beer
    Meat (or not, if you're like that)
    Stories
    Hope to meet you in person.
    G

Recovering couch patato
    After those nice words this thread is now closed before I get any complaint from other industry types that want to call spam, or their own piece of the action. That's the trend lately. Complain. Over moderation, undermoderation.
    This tread is great, shows the perfect 29" spirit and daring commitment. Everything is cool, but next time G will need an ad to invite event more friends for beer and meat :-)
    Man I'm jealous of you guys, wish we had any trails here, or cool LBS's for that matter.

Members who have read this thread: 0