Unbelievable....- Mtbr.com
    giddy up!

Unbelievable....

....the stuff you'll find at The Path. I have seriously forgotten what it's like to have a crappy LBS that doesn't stock anything of remote interest. I'm spoiled. I've become a shop snob.

I walked in there yesterday to pick up spokes and nipples for a Pink King/Velocity wheelbuild. Low and behold...they have a box full of pink DT nips...I didn't even know they made such a thing.

Then I wander over to the crank case and see the black Paul beauties pictured below. Again, I didn't even know they existed outside of interbike.

Then I take note of the fact that they have every single 29er tire known to man in-stock(with the exception of Bontrager). This includes the Spec. Fast Trak and the new Kenda Kharma.

Then I notice the Lenz Lev. hanging on the wall next to 3 different Ventana 29ers.

Then I notice that there's a Delgado Disc rim on the workbench...Just like the pair I purchased here last week.

I could go on and on.

Does anyone else have a local shop like this? Are we really just that lucky?

Sorry for bragging:-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by donkey; 02-19-2006 at 05:43 PM.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

ali'i hua
    no- we're spoiled to have such a shop. its not like the huge bike shop down the street that's reply is now "no, sorry we dont have that, but we can order it for you!"

how're the VQ traning rides going?

see ya this coming weekend for the (ahem) festivities. I'll probably be sportin the 29er freedom banner as well.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    Nothing like that around here, in fact I ordered a 32T 4 bolt Boone ring (in stock) from The Path last week. Tani got it shipped the next day and it was only a few bucks more than from Boone, without the wait.

Steve
    heck, not to mention the 3-4 boone cogs that are usually in stock!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Does anyone else have a local shop like this?
    No, and that is a good thing

Wouldn't mind some of that green stuff you have in your yard locally though
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Nothing like that around here, in fact I ordered a 32T 4 bolt Boone ring (in stock) from The Path last week. Tani got it shipped the next day and it was only a few bucks more than from Boone, without the wait.

Steve

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    no- we're spoiled to have such a shop. its not like the huge bike shop down the street that's reply is now "no, sorry we dont have that, but we can order it for you!"

how're the VQ traning rides going?

see ya this coming weekend for the (ahem) festivities. I'll probably be sportin the 29er freedom banner as well.
    I'll be there...ready for festiveness.

Ahh.....VQ training rides....how I love thee. I'll be riding gears this year as I try to keep up with my little lady:-) Should be a good time.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug

Steve
    Nice! The amount of Boone stuff they have sitting there in the case is staggering.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

ali'i hua
    I'll be there...ready for festiveness.

Ahh.....VQ training rides....how I love thee. I'll be riding gears this year as I try to keep up with my little lady:-) Should be a good time.

B
    sweet! talk at you then. mmmmmmm stone brew. (drool)

mtbr member

Contender In Salt Lake City

Does anyone else have a local shop like this? Are we really just that lucky?

I have long heard of The Path and it sounds amazing! Next time I'm in SoCal I will definitely go check them out. The only place I can think of to compare it to is Contender in Salt Lake City. The caveat is that it's a roadie shop but it stocks as much bling as you will ever see anywhere. You want the first run of custom built D/A 10 spd SRM cranks, you got em. You want $400 Ti Wipperman chains, you got em. You need three of them you say, no problem. You want the Time VXRS but can't decide which size? No worries, all sizes are in stock. Besides roadie stuff they stock a lot of other trick stuff as well; Orbea 29ers, Ritchey Breakaways etc.

It's absolutely incredible! The Path sounds like the MTB equivalent so that automatically (by default ) gives it the one up but I thought it was worth mentioning because any shop that can exceed everyone's wildest expectations is well, my kind of shop

paintbucket
    If they have red Hope XC hubs in stock I'm gonna have a hissy fit. I had to go with black because that's all even the distributors carry.

I hate black.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member

2nd Happiest Place on Earth

The place is freaking unreal. I am in there on average twice a month. That Blue Ventana is memorizing. Two weeks ago when I was in there picking up some parts for my sons bike I was trying to justify that I do not need it.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    The place is freaking unreal. I am in there on average twice a month. That Blue Ventana is memorizing. Two weeks ago when I was in there picking up some parts for my sons bike I was trying to justify that I do not need it.
    I can't imagine only going in there twice a month....I'm averaging 2-3 times per week:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    If they have red Hope XC hubs in stock I'm gonna have a hissy fit. I had to go with black because that's all even the distributors carry.

I hate black.
    You tell me?

Truth be told....I don't think they have many Hope hubs in stock:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member

Lol!

I can't imagine only going in there twice a month....I'm averaging 2-3 times per week:-)

B
    I hear ya! It is a 30 mile drive from San Clemente or I would be there several times a week.

mtbr member
    How much were the Paul cranks selling for?
    It's only weird because it's not normal.

PROJECT | ONE

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13
    How much were the Paul cranks selling for?
    I think they were around $185.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Not because I'm fast.....

Yeah, you are spoiled

Since moving to Colorado in 2003, I really miss The Path and the crew there. I use to like spending my time looking around, talking with Tani, getting into ultra-sarcastic discussions with Karl, etc. Great shop and great guys. At least I am lucky enough to have Larry at Mountain High Cyclery in my neck of the woods, but his shop is an hour away. He is a great guy and runs a great little shop too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You tell me?

Truth be told....I don't think they have many Hope hubs in stock:-)

B
    if my glass case looked like that I would get fired.

Where's Toto?
    I currently (as in for the moment albeit forseeable future) live in bummphukk Kansas. My LBS just started carrying mountain bikes last year ;o) Having lived in a couple of places that had shops like The Path (especially back in the 90's when the CNC wizards were turning out parts in scads) --- I drool in your direction.

Brown is my best friend. S-Goat is my patron saint.

Gotta give Kansas City credit though for a great cyclocross series that runs practically every weekend from Oct - Jan. That alone gives me reason to live.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I read everything you wrote about The Path Bike Shop. I've bought from them over the phone (cheers, xrmattaz!). They are brilliant.

I also realized that if I read/wrote the exact opposite of everything you wrote about The Path, I'd pretty much describe every single bike shop in my immediate area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Another thumbs up for Ryan and co at Contender, as hardcore roadie shop that they are it's one of the few shops here in the Wasatch that actually stocks an assortment of 29er rubber, Dos 9ers, Orbea (they're one of the biggest Orbea shops in the country), Maverick forks etc...Just walking in there makes you feel like a kid in a candy store. The amount of eye candy hanging from the rafters is mind-boogling and if you look closely they ususally have a few 29er frames hiding there as well... If you're ever in the SLC area swing by and check them out on 9th/9th

Slightly OT - any word of availability of those Paul cranks?? Looking for some SS cranks for the IF and not really into the ENO's....I likey the old school retro styling of the PAuls

oh well time to hit the hill, skiing's been off the hook the last few days.....

D

I like endos
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I also realized that if I read/wrote the exact opposite of everything you wrote about The Path, I'd pretty much describe every single bike shop in my immediate area.
    Sadly, I work at a shop like this. not a 29er in sight and no aftermarket parts anywhere except in Quality's catalog. My monocog will be the first 29er ever to grace our shop. Sad.
    Last edited by ParkerFly; 02-20-2006 at 02:47 PM.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SpeedGoat

That is liking walking into a candy shop. I get to impulsive. Great store with great people.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedupderby
    if my glass case looked like that I would get fired.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, talk about having a whole lot of cash tied up in inventory, man they would want to have some pretty high turnover to justify that. Let alone the fact they're tumbling around all over each other and some rocks at the bottom...

That said, pretty awesome as a consumer to have a shop with such stuff in stock!

N+1

spoiled...yes

I travel the state of Michigan for work, and I've been in just about every LBS worth a mention, maybe 40 total. We don't have a shop even close to that level of comittment to 29ers, and I might go as far to say that our entire state, combined, doesn't have an inventory like that. Outrageous.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member

Ditto Contender, and another candidate in Boston

I have to agree that Contender is the kind of shop we all need in our town. The only problem is they are downtown and I have to drive by about 10 shops to get there. It is worth a once a week trip just to browse. Ryan knows most of the local cyclist by name and is probably one of the most knowledgeable around. The only improvement needed would be a little more commitment to the dirt crowd, but for roadies they're unmatched.

My other candidate is Belmont Wheelworks in Boston (Belmont technically, but it's a suburb of Boston). The shop is huge, they stock tons of stuff, and they have employees that you can tell are riders and know what they're talking about.

TR
    Angry bunny
    My old Surly 1x1 was worked on by The Path and several parts in my 29er build came from them via Mattman too.
    My LBS's over here in Oz would not have a clue about SS or 29ers.
    Certainly there is nothing like the Path anywhere near me.

mtbr member

B
    Me too, but I usually don't carry my camera with me. That's funny!

mtbr member
    How 'bout a phone number?
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    714-669-0784

mtbr member

Inventory

I have been buying at The Path all the way back in my 26” wheeled days Their tire selection for 26” wheeled bikes is also unreal. The best thing about the Path is not the bling in the cabinet or on the walls etc……. The best thing about The Path is that ( to my knowledge) Tani and the crew DO NOT RIDE 29’ers and they still stock frames, forks, wheels and tires.

breathing helium
    Donkey,

I can wholeheartedly confirm that you are spoiled. Looking at the stem/hub case with thos Kings in the bottom, I can't help but think: "Yum, there's a cherry flavored one! And a lemon! Oooo a green apple, strawberry, and a blueberry!" Kind of a Willy Wonka thing I guess?

Those Paul cranks looks SWEET!

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by cocheese
    Donkey,

I can wholeheartedly confirm that you are spoiled. Looking at the stem/hub case with thos Kings in the bottom, I can't help but think: "Yum, there's a cherry flavored one! And a lemon! Oooo a green apple, strawberry, and a blueberry!" Kind of a Willy Wonka thing I guess?
    I'm just glad there's not a red Hope in there. I'm not up for a hissy fit today.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

giddy up!
    I have been buying at The Path all the way back in my 26” wheeled days Their tire selection for 26” wheeled bikes is also unreal. The best thing about the Path is not the bling in the cabinet or on the walls etc……. The best thing about The Path is that ( to my knowledge) Tani and the crew DO NOT RIDE 29’ers and they still stock frames, forks, wheels and tires.
    Karl and Dave do....not sure about any of the others though.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Recovering Weight Weenie
    The best thing about The Path is that ( to my knowledge) Tani and the crew DO NOT RIDE 29’ers and they still stock frames, forks, wheels and tires.
    Karl just helped build/weld his own custom steel 29er.

Bearded Dave also rides his Kona Unit 2-9.

mtbr member

Huummm

Karl and Dave do....not sure about any of the others though.

B
    I had no idea. I normally (for no reason) talk to Tani or Jon. But I am not in there as much as you and Erik.

Members who have read this thread: 0