Trying to decide (Xcal/Paragon, XTC1, Hei Hei)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Trying to decide (Xcal/Paragon, XTC1, Hei Hei)

So, I am looking to step up from my older 26ers into the world of 29ers. I have played around on some Fishers and enjoyed them (primarily a friend's xcal), I am currently trying to decide between either a Fisher X-cal or Paragon, a Giant XTC 1, or a Kona Hei Hei. The Fishers I like, but am concerned about the frame cracking issues (I'm 6'2", 215lbs). I haven`t had a chance to actually try the Giant or Kona, but I am comfortable with Giant (I've had a few) and the idea of a FS sounds nice for longer rides. I am torn between something I can make nice and light, or dealing with the extra weight for the cush factor. I will mostly be riding heavy root/smaller rock single track trails with lots of flow to them and moderate climbing.

I have done a lot of reading on all the bikes (and would throw in a Sette Razzo or Redline D660 as well) but am interested in any other thoughts people have when thinking of these three bikes. Oh, and the Hei Hei will be a 2009 which can be had in the same price range as the others.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a 2009 Paragon and it is dialed. It depends how you like the G2 handling. I have never really ridden anything else, so it is nice but will probably feel more twitchy than any of the other bikes. I am assuming the part spec is better than the Hei Hei and I know the part spec is better than the XTC1.

That being said, the XTC1 has a lot of nice features; tapered head tube/steerer, thru axle up front, a massive downtube, and some stiff wheels. The wheels come with a weight penalty, but for the price, those features don't really appear again until a couple hundrend more. If I could do it all over again, I would seriously consider a Giant. They are late to the party but came to throw down pretty hard.

The Redline D660 has a nice parts spec but it ends there. A friend of mine has one, the wheelset is HEAVY and the frame is beefy too. He had issues with the stock rear wheel so the warranty department at Redline sent him an unsealed shimano hub laced to a WTB All mountain 29 rim. Heavier and flexy. With a company like Redline, you pay for what you get. They do small things to keep the cost down and it all adds up. Also depends how you feel about the whole 1x9 thing, which I love.

Summary:
    Overall: Paragon
    Value: Giant
    Cheap: Redline
    29" Trail Assault.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

I agree to disagree

I think you will get a good bike no matter which you choose. So far as the Redline goes, the part spec is pretty good. I have one of the lower end steel frames ,and although beefy; everything has held up very well over the last two years. Every company makes a bad part now and then.I wouldn't judge Redline bases on one wheel failure.

mtbr member

Scott Scale

Check out the Scott Scale if you can

http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/8280/45570/scale_29er

AZ
    banned
    All good choises , the XTC 1 is IMHO the best value of all the choises , I am a Fisher owner FWIW .

Is dang happy!

$1100 with a tora?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    All good choises , the XTC 1 is IMHO the best value of all the choises , I am a Fisher owner FWIW .
    Some shops are selling 09 9er's with a reba or fox for around that price.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just went with an 09 X-cal that was $1400 and a pound lighter than the XTC1, which was $1950. The F29 TA fork was nice, as was the tapered H/S, but it didn't ride $550 better, with which I can buy a pretty light wheel set. I'm not a big fan of the silver bars, post, stem and wheels on the X-cal (anyone interested in them?), but the Giant had none-too subtle graphics everywhere. Both are nice bikes- it was a struggle for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If I were going to go Fisher (I did) the Paragon would win my vote. The difference from X9 and X7 would be enough for me to justify the difference in price. X7 shifters are pure junk compared to X9 or XO. Not so much difference in derailleurs but huge difference in shifters.

I've been beating on my Paragon for 8 months and still love the bike. I did just purchase a FS bike for Epic rides, but will still pick my Paragon for race and short rides. The one thing you will not like is the rear hub... I've replaced my free hub 3 times under warranty of course. The hub does not fail catastrophically, just starts make noises and will sometimes miss an engagement point...loud POP. I ended up building up a new rear wheel (arch and DT 240). Other that the hub it's been trouble free.

Is dang happy!

My bad, followed wrong link!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    Some shops are selling 09 9er's with a reba or fox for around that price.
    I went Here
    When I should have went There. The TA is a nice touch and frame is probably less likely to crack also.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Well, I am thinking I will be going with a Paragon and picking up a FS towards the end of this season (maybe pick up a Hei Hei deluxe frame and do a bikes direct parts swap). I just hope I don`t get one that cracks on me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a 09 Paragon and love it but very little stock any more. Mavic,Noir bars and crank, X0 shifters. Really like the bike just caught the mod bug and can shake it now. The X9 stuff is great! Wish it came with different brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree, the Paragon is a solid choice. Been on mine for 7 months and love it. I changed the bars to a low rise FSA just because I'm not a fan of the Big Sweeps that come stock on it. I also built up a new Chris King/ZTR Arch wheelset. You may also switch the tires as the Bonty XDX s that come on it aren't too durable. Blew thru mine in about a month. Now I do live Colorado and they may work some where else. I switched to Maxxis Ardents and they rawk! You should be very happy with this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm 6' 300lbs riding an 09' Fisher Rig. I have had zero issues with everything. Very happy with the bike and would recommend it to anyone. I will say I miss riding steel though and am looking at a Vassago Jabberwocky to add to the stable. Might convert the Rig to a 1x9 for racing then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Well, my decision became a bit more complicated as I may have a good opprotunity on a leftover Fisher 09 hifi deluxe 29er....Hmmmm....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gybe!
    Well, my decision became a bit more complicated as I may have a good opprotunity on a leftover Fisher 09 hifi deluxe 29er....Hmmmm....
    Talk about cracking and breaking... the 09 Hi Fi's around here stay in the shop for warranty. Compare the 09 to the new 2010 Hi Fi... you'll see Fisher totally re-designed the 2010 model because of the accumulating Hi Fi carnage. I will say the 2010 model does appeal, but ended up buying a 29er Epic over the new Hi Fi.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have been on a Paragon for 3 years and love it, yep I've cracked 2 at the seat tube top tube with in a week I'm on a new frame the last was the best, they just send a picture of the hair line crack in I continue to ride until the new frame shows, bring the bike in pick it up the next day switched over, just that simple. All frames crack if you ride enough, you should buy from companies that offers the best warrenty trek and fisher have never let me down with the life time of the origenal owner

Members who have read this thread: 0