Trying to decide- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Trying to decide

so im getting some money together should have around 1000 dollars or so. I was thinking of getting my first 29er. It will be for mixed use both commuting to work and some trail stuff on the weekends. I am 6'2" and 290lbs. hopefully with the help of my bike i can get that last # down a little. anywho

I was thinking of getting a ss or a 1x9 maybe a misfit al. or a karate monkey or perhaps a monocog. any other suggestions i should look out for. thank you

erik

808+909 = Party Good Time
    GT Peace 9r, Haro Mary... but you already have a good list together of some favorites.

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with the Karate Monkey.

As for gearing, I'd personally go geared vs SS on a bike that will see double duty as a commuter and trail bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    yeah im leaning towards 1x9

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ive narrowed it down to a misfit dissent al, a surly karate monkey, or a singular swift.

I really want something that can hold up to everyday riding and be used for both ridding to work and trail riding. i also like the idea of going to 1x9 or a ss. thanks fro the help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610
    ive narrowed it down to a misfit dissent al, a surly karate monkey, or a singular swift.

I really want something that can hold up to everyday riding and be used for both ridding to work and trail riding. i also like the idea of going to 1x9 or a ss. thanks fro the help
    I really like the idea behind the White Industries Double/Double for a multi purpose bike, never used it though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thats is pretty cool thanks

mtbr member
    Rigid is probably the way to go, but if you want to consider something with suspension, maybe the Raleigh XXIX+G or Redline D660?

Not sure what the price is out the door on those though. Should be in the neighborhood of 1K?

Have you considered buying used? I picked up a rigid 29er (2x9) off the classifieds here this week for under 1K shipped.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There are some Karate Monkey completes on sale, I think Speedgoat, Jenson or Bikeman has them on sale for around $915.00 (ss) which to me is a great deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    how does the swift compare to the karate monkey. has anyone ridden both. also how does the dissent al compare to the steel frame of surly

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Redline Flight or Monocog for the money these are by far the two best bikes on the market.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by realdeal176
    Redline Flight or Monocog for the money these are by far the two best bikes on the market.
    i was under the impression that they were ss only frames and i would like something a little more versatile.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Flight can be geared with a new dropout, but to run a full range cassette you also need a new rear wheel (well, just the hub I suppose).

I think that by the time you get it geared up, you will be approaching the cost of already geared bikes like the D660 and Salsa El Mariachi, and they will have nicer parts. Those two are good options if you can find them on closeout, but even then they may be stretching your budget by a couple to a few hundred dollars.

Another possibility is the lower end D440, also set up 1x9. But with an out the door price of around 500 or less, you can do some meaningful upgrades like brakes (100-200 dollars for BB7s or decent hydros) and drivetrain (crank might be a good start), get some pedals, and a set of slicks for commuting. Excluding a good deal on something higher end, this would be a solid choice.

Also, I would avoid single speed for your dual purpose, unless your commute is really short or you like changing out cogs all the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    yeh i am leaning towards a 1x9 but that km for 915 sounds like a good deal i can alway add parts to that. ive always wanted an el mariachi but they just seem to be right out of my price range. or go on sale when im broke. I like the swift but not being able to see one up close kinda worries me. I guess maybe ill take a ride up to see the prairie pedlar

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Take a look on Ebay they have two brand new Redline Flights in either 17" or 19" for
    $824.99 or best offer with free shipping that is a great deal. You should be able to upgrade this bike to a 1x9 for around $150.00 - $200.00. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0