Trouble with Avid BB7s and SE Stout- Mtbr.com

Sep 2009

Trouble with Avid BB7s and SE Stout

Hello! It is my first post here so go easy
    If it's a tl:dr, then so be it.

Anyways, my problem here is..
    I recently purchased a 2009 SE Stout and am having trouble installing the rear avid bb7 disk(160 rotor) brake on it. What's happening is- The disk keeps hitting the top of the brake, even before I tighten the CPS bolts. I went into my shop to have the mechanic look at it and he said that I need a certain IS adapter.(After trying about 5 different ones, including a ginormous one) So I call up both SE and Avid. SE sent me to Avid. Avid told me to get the very basic 160 IS adapter, which I already have.
    The model of the BB7 I have is from 2006 and like previously said, the Stout is from 2009.
    The mount for the disk brake on the rear is a bit funny looking.
    If you look on their website and enlarge the photo, you can see the tabs-
    http://www.sebikes.com/Singlespeed/29-Stout.aspx
    I'm at work right now so I can't post pictures but when I get home, I'll do so if necessary.

Bottom line-

I can't install a rear 2006 avid bb7 on a 2009 SE stout because there isn't enough space for the disk to move no matter what IS adapter I've tried.
    Has anyone had any experience in doing said task?

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

You know, for kids
    here's what you need...

http://www.ebikestop.com/avid_cps_re...ors-BR6940.php

The 160mm front adapter when used on the rear only allows clearance for a 140mm rotor. You need the specific 160mm rear adapter. And make sure you use the CPS washers with it, the little convex and concave washers that come with Avid brakes.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

Sep 2009
    The disk brake that I purchased said it was specifically for the rear. Should I still go ahead and purchase that??
    Would it be ideal to exchange it for one of the newer 2009 models??
    Thanks for the reply by the way

You know, for kids
    the caliper mounts and the adapters certainly have not changed since 2006

The frame caliper mount looks funny because it is slotted to allow the caliper to slide back and forth along with the wheel sliding in the horizontal dropout. That allows for good placement of the caliper on the rotor depending on the position of the wheel axle in the slot dropout.

I believe on Avid brakes from 2006 the only one that was advertised on the box as rear specific was the 140mm version. I don't know for sure.

Bottom line: 160mm front adapter won't work for 160mm rear, only 140mm. Without seeing it in person, I can't understand how it's not working for you if you have the proper adapter.

Does the adapter you're trying to use have any sort of label on it? If so, what does it say it's for?
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There should be a label on the adapter with the size rotor it is for and an arrow.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap

I believe on Avid brakes from 2006 the only one that was advertised on the box as rear specific was the 140mm version. I don't know for sure.
    Before 2009 ALL Avid disc brakes were marked as front or rear for every rotor size and included only the proper IS bracket for the position and rotor size.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by chao1350
    Hello! It is my first post here so go easy
    If it's a tl:dr, then so be it.

Anyways, my problem here is..
    I recently purchased a 2009 SE Stout and am having trouble installing the rear avid bb7 disk(160 rotor) brake on it. What's happening is- The disk keeps hitting the top of the brake, even before I tighten the CPS bolts. I went into my shop to have the mechanic look at it and he said that I need a certain IS adapter.(After trying about 5 different ones, including a ginormous one) So I call up both SE and Avid. SE sent me to Avid. Avid told me to get the very basic 160 IS adapter, which I already have.
    The model of the BB7 I have is from 2006 and like previously said, the Stout is from 2009.
    The mount for the disk brake on the rear is a bit funny looking.
    If you look on their website and enlarge the photo, you can see the tabs-
    http://www.sebikes.com/Singlespeed/29-Stout.aspx
    I'm at work right now so I can't post pictures but when I get home, I'll do so if necessary.

Bottom line-

I can't install a rear 2006 avid bb7 on a 2009 SE stout because there isn't enough space for the disk to move no matter what IS adapter I've tried.
    Has anyone had any experience in doing said task?

Any help would be very very much appreciated.
    Should be a simple bolt-on.

The "no matter what IS adapter I've tried" is weird. There should actually be plenty of room with the slotted disc tabs.

But make sure that the caliper mounting bolts are not too long and hitting the rotor.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0