Tried & True, or Thru & Thru- Mtbr.com

Dec 2004

Tried & True, or Thru & Thru

I believe everything has a positive. Although sometimes vigorous scrubbing of the evidence revels anything less than something palatable to even the most non-discriminate tastes.

If there is one thing good about 29er's it's the fact that there are not a lot of choices. On the other hand look at Rock Shox. They have 8 different series of forks, then each series has 3 different models. That's 24 different kinds of forks. Even if they cut it to 2/3s (16) that still seems excessive to me, but I guess variety is the spice of life, and I guess I can use some when I'm as bitter as I can be sometimes.

Speaking of Rock Shox I can't find any information on the Reba for the 29er, I've heard there are 2 different models but I can't be sure. I originally wanted this fork, but it's becoming too hard to become a lab rat for this product. Marzocchi made 2 forks last year, but have discontinued to make them for 29er's for 2005. I don't think I want to ride a product that has been discontinued. White Brothers seems to make a dependable product. They only have 2 choices ( That goodness, just think if they made more ), bw.8 (80mm) & bw 1.0 (100mm travel). I'm small . . . . errrr I mean light ( Does anybody know where I can get a pack of Magnums? ), and my cross country temperament makes me a 80mm candidate. I guess the choice is obvious White Bros. .8.

I've spent a lot of time deciding on parts for my new bike. I've researched the parts, then researched how they are all going to work together in synergy. So this morning I'm ready to order my fork a White Bros. bw.8. I thought I was free from the research mine field. After tip-toeing through the propaganda, opinions, and reviews I was confronted with the; "Do you want the standard, or thru 20mm axle option" question . . . DOE!!!! Abort!, Abort, I can't complete the mission! I thought I was going to go with American Classic wheels, but they don't make a 20mm thru axle. The only thing that comes to mind are Chris King Hubs, but what rims Bontrager-Mustang, DT ( new 29er rim in January . . . allegedly )? I wanted to go with less than 32 spoke, but now what . . . Ohhhhh Bike gods, why have you forsaken me?!!!

So now I lay myself down before "You" . . . the honorable 29er court to answer for my discretion

So should I go with the 20mm thru axle, or stay standard? . . . thoughts, criticisms, Bueller, Bueller . . .

mtbr member

For a lighter XC rider the 20mm thru axle option on a .8 is not necessary. The thru axle option is more suited to the longer travel fork under a larger rider as it adds ridgitity to it.

The difference in the Rock Shox is only in the remote lockout I believe as it costs more for it. But remember, there is also the option of color, silver or black
    Last edited by Bigwheel; 01-17-2005 at 08:14 PM. Reason: sp
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Mikesee heartily endorses the 20mm thru.
    It makes up for some of the stiffness lost through the inherrant longer spoke in the 29er wheel and helps keep the fork ultra stiff too.

My new 1.0 will have the thru axle. It can't hurt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thru axle

You are small (how "small"?) and ride xc...AND you want 80mm over 100mm, I can't think of any reason why you would want thru axle for your purposes. Besides limiting your options severely, it's overkill imo.
    Regarding the rebas, the are two models, sl and race. The race has external floodgate adjust, the sl is internal. Both forks can be internally adjusted for travel, and poploc adjust can be added on. This is a great fork, you needn't feel like a guinea pig.

Dec 2004
    I'm 5'9", 165Lbs. althought not small by general standards, I'm small by 29er standard in reguard to fit . . .or my Clydesdale friends . . . you know who you are . . .I'm getting a Racer-X 29er designed for 80mm of travel. Getting the frame designed for 100mm would have put the bars up to high in relationship to my seat. Also I ordered my frame disc specific, jettisoning V-brake protocol. Which brings to question new trends. I mean the 20mm Thru seems like a logical progression on what Tullo Campagnolo started in 19 . . . 27 . . ? good grief almost 80 years.

I do have this question. If it takes 80 years to come up with a new quick release system, how long will it take to work out the tubless troubles?

I'm almost sure I'm going to go with the 20mm, but I haven't researched the concept, and was wanting input. These little projects aren't cheap and I don't want to over look anything.

mtbr member
    The WB 20mm is a bolt on, not QR.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Moderator Moderator
    Like Bigwheel and Nate mentioned, I don't see a need for a thru axle if you are light and are looking at 80mm of travel. Seems like extra weight and expense to me. Then again, i'm a 155 and still never saw a problem with my original Marzocchi Marathon before I drove it into my garage...R.I.P.

That said, I've got a Reba (black) with remote on a brown truck hopefully somewhere near Colorado.
    Guinea pig or not - this new line of Rock Shox under new owners Sram are the real deal. The poplock remote adjusters, motion control damping, and dual air spring technology are like the whipped cream, hot fudge, and maraschino cherry...I can't wait!

It sounds like you are already on top of it...but for lighter riders/racers the AM Classic 350 disk wheels are pretty sweet. http://www.amclassic.com/Wheels_MTB_Disc.html

Good luck, and Wal-Mart has the cheapest price on Magnums. Stock up.

2M
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Jan 2004
    I'll just back up the others and say that a thru-axle is only going to reduce your speed and convenience of wheel removal, increase weight, and be somewhat redundant on an 80mm XC machine. Thru-axles are becoming more popular as fork travel increases and riding becomes more "extreme" (for want of a better term), but I don't think it will replace the humble QR anytime soon.

As for WB V's RS, no direct experience with either in 29", I loved my WB 26" fork though - simple, smooth, and reliable. Don't forget there is a significant price differential between the two as well.

Sam

Sam