Results 801 to 1,000 of 1151

Thread: Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Can the Rig run a Belt?
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    A Sawyer with 29x3 will probably weigh just about as much as my Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No. It has the same slider mechanism though, just not the split dropout.

Just ride.

Snow!

First ride in the snow with the Knards. Handled the unplowed road just fine. Hope to get it out with the trails with the fatbike guys later this week.

Trek Sawyer-snowbike-5.jpg

Trek Sawyer-snowbike-4.jpg

Trek Sawyer-snowbike-6.jpg

Trek Sawyer-snowbike-7.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks like a fun ride Lothar Othp. Would like to do something similar on mine by the time winter rolls around next year.

Anyone know the dimensions (length and rise) of the stock stem on the Sawyer off hand?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by providence View Post
    Looks like a fun ride Lothar Othp. Would like to do something similar on mine by the time winter rolls around next year.

Anyone know the dimensions (length and rise) of the stock stem on the Sawyer off hand?
    100x6 or 8

mtbr member
    Anyone decide to go with a shorter stem on their stock Crivitz bars? Really enjoying them more than I thought I would...

I'm not too stretched out or anything, just looking for a tad more responsiveness. Contemplating going with a 70 or 80mm Thomson and just curious if anyone enjoyed the difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I can 't compare stem lengths,but I switched to a 80 immediately w/ a riser bar. That is the way it has stayed, works well

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    @akita man
    Nice work ! Tried it last weekend with knards on salsa semi disc,s. Front is no problem, rear is not enough clearence. Looking at your dropouts, i have the idea that the triangle between the calipermounts and the center of the rear axel is not the same as the originale. So my guess is that the calliper is not properly positioned on the disc. Could you shine a light on that?
    Would you consider shipping a set to the Netherlands ? It is very difficult to get single pieces of metal work over here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Thanks, Was trying to find a Sawyer to make into an IGH Belt Drive....but they are like a needle in a hay stack. Thought I hit the jackpot when I seen the RIG.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Decided to get some early season commuting in now that the icy roads are thawing, till the trails dry up at least. Got a pair of 35c Hardcase reflective tires. She feels quick with skinnys on, might have to up the gearing though. Trek Sawyer-photo-mar-29-1-40-22-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone decide to go with a shorter stem on their stock Crivitz bars? Really enjoying them more than I thought I would...

I'm not too stretched out or anything, just looking for a tad more responsiveness. Contemplating going with a 70 or 80mm Thomson and just curious if anyone enjoyed the difference.
    I'm not using a the crivitz bar, but I switched to a 70mm 7 degree stem and 740mm wide rise bar. Love it!
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    Alright guys, who's gone with larger chain rings on their sawyer?

I was looking at touring bikes for commuting and really I just don't see a reason not to go for it with the sawyer, I have "skinny" tires for it already but what's the largest we can go on the chainrings?

I have a 35T running on the frame side of the outer mount of the stock crank from when it was 1x9 and that's pretty tight, the chainline doesn't look like anything can be run on the outside of the stock crank (wide-ish bottom bracket puts it pretty far out on the cassette in stock position)

so what do you commuters have set up?
    I had my sawyer set up as a commuter over the winter. I was running a 42, 44 or 46 on it. I'll have to look when I get home from vacation. Which ever one it was, it was as big as I could go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akita man View Post
    I had a set of much more HD drop outs made. 7075 aluminum. 0.5" set back moving the tire away from the seat stays. Perfect bolt on and sliding action.

Kiss my butt Krampus!!!

Any interest. I can have more made up now that tweaks are out. I can email you more pics if you need them.
    I would like a set! I'll send you a PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

mtbr member

Trek Sawyer

Here's mine, living the dream...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Trek Sawyer-2013-05-13-16.49.41.jpg

beer!

mtbr member
    My current setup. Excuse the lack of brakes-being serviced in the shop. But I really wanted to show off my new Kenda Small Block 8 skinwall tires! They run a bit skinny but are awesome nontheless. Also recently went from 32x20 singlespeed to 32x14/28x18 dinglespeed

mtbr member
    ^ Looks nice with skinwalls. Granted, I'v had many fixed/ss road bikes with them as well and there's not many bikes that don't. Ha.

Anyone tried 2.4 Ardents front and back on the Sawyer? Any clearance issues? (I have no front derailleur, so no worries there.) Can't quite tell if those are Ardents a few pictures up...

mtbr member
    May 2009

[/QUOTE]

What handle bars are those?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drew2388 View Post

What handle bars are those?
    Ragley Carnegie's. I love them. Lots of great reviews. 25 degree sweep and come in a carbon and "upside down" options too now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    Ragley Carnegie's. I love them. Lots of great reviews. 25 degree sweep and come in a carbon and "upside down" options too now.
    Cool. They look good and I like wide.I'll have to look into those,thanks.

mtbr member
    Don't mean to be a buzz kill but Ragley doesn't make the Carnegie bar (aluminum or carbon) anymore. Bummer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've had my Sawyer for roughly a year now. Still loving it, mainly for the looks, to be honest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Still though I sometimes wonder wtf Fisher was thinking when he designed this bike? I like to imagine a tense phone call from some Trek exec to GF, saying "Your signature design is due tomorrow, what do you have for us?" And GF going "shit I forgot... guess I'll just throw together every hot gimmick on the market at the moment and call it good"

mtbr member
    What [email protected]#$% amazes me is that they still don't offer it frame only (AFAIK). Too late now; I don't care any more. But it's Jones-y enough that a lot of singlespeeders would love to do a custom build. Oh well, it's Trek; not like they are going broke,
    Mind your own religion.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yes IMHO it should have been avl frame only, may have sold better had it not been built up with the low spec build kit it got (or priced more appropriately)

as for fishers design... IMHO it's great... its not the first homage to the original klunker bikes... fisher is also fairly well known for trying new things (29er) so why wouldn't he try belt drive compatible?...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Singleton
    I know that Sawyer isínt a good option for weight weenie community but I was wondering who got the lightest build here?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I wasn't focused on weight, but my ss belt drive Sawyer weighs 30.8 lb. It's pretty fast though for a heavy bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Does anyone have a sawyer they are willing to part with, even if it is frame only?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What size are you looking for? I have a large frame-Excellent cond Grey. Shoot me a PM if interested

jgt
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    Does anyone have a sawyer they are willing to part with, even if it is frame only?
    I have a lightly used bone-stock size Medium Sawyer I've been thinking about liquidating. Let me know if you'd be interested.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I'm thinking I really should have bought the larger frame

does anyone have a 21" frame and want to swap for a 19"?
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    well i just purchased a sawyer frame (from an individual from this thread) And what a beautiful object..... I am pulling my trek marlin apart for the donor parts (crank, arms, pedals, and front and rear wheels and tires, etc...). It is being assembled with a lefty front a nuvinci rear (n360) juicy 7's for now. I will be getting it configured with the 29'er + treatment very shortly..........

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

new build

Here is my new to me frame sawyer build:

Frame: Trek Sawyer 19" frame
    Front Fork: Cannondale lefty DLR2 speed with travel limiters and cannondale lefty for all adapter.
    Brakes: Avid juicy 7's 185 rotor back and 200 in front (stops on a dime and gives change back LOL)

Rear hub: Nuvinci N360
    Wheels: Bones rangers
    Tires: (street trim) duro Easy ride flak jackets (blows out to 2 3/8" wide and 30" OD) off road are wolverine 2.2's
    Pedals: Wellgo B114

Ordered rabbit holes and knards already.

Trek Sawyer-sawyer-ls.jpgTrek Sawyer-sawyer-rs.jpg

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I forgot how huge that nuvinci hub was looks good man
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    took mine out for a nice 25 mile road ride
    Trek Sawyer-20130714_182255_1st-st_hdr.jpg
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    will look smaller with rabbit holes and knards

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

sawyer with knard lefty front

Here is my newly acquired sawyer with my lefty. Clearance to the side is excellent. Currently on a set of bontrager ranger rims. Not sure if I am going to goto the rabbit holes or the kris holmes free ride, unless someone else has a better suggestion.

The rear is going to require a custom set of hangers, that I will make this coming week
    Trek Sawyer-sawyer-knard.jpgTrek Sawyer-sawyer-knard-lefty-front-side.jpgTrek Sawyer-sawyer-knard-lefty-clearence.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Sawyer running 29+

Well, have the 29+ running on the sawyer, had 2 make 2 different sets of dropouts but it now works, made my dropouts out of steel as I figured the additional leverage might "decimate" 5/16 thick aluminum plate.

What i learned... if you want to find out how f'ed up manufacturing tolerances are try this project, I found my frame is out of square, the tire is out of round as is the tube yet the rim isn't, the knobies on the side of the tire are different heights rim....

but it sure looks pretty in the end LOL
    Trek Sawyer-sawyer-29-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice Job, looks great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Picked up my '11 Trek Sawyer 2 months ago and converted her to a Gates Carbon Drive. Had my LBS do the work, but the belt keeps losing tension after a couple rides. I keep having to re-adjust the drop-outs to get tension back. My LBS doesn't have any suggestions. Anyone else with a Sawyer and a Gates drive have a similar problem, or might anyone have suggestions? Many thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zacharymay View Post
    Picked up my '11 Trek Sawyer 2 months ago and converted her to a Gates Carbon Drive. Had my LBS do the work, but the belt keeps losing tension after a couple rides. I keep having to re-adjust the drop-outs to get tension back. My LBS doesn't have any suggestions. Anyone else with a Sawyer and a Gates drive have a similar problem, or might anyone have suggestions? Many thanks.
    I have the same trouble. Have to re-adjust every few rides. I'm using a chain but it hasn't come loose enough for me to drop the chain yet. The set screws don't move so I don't know where the slack is coming from.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Oops, my Sawyer got new custom fork yesterday. Rides great and looks even better

Next stop is to put Knard or something similar as front tire but don't want to make the rear any longer to compromise the handling, so most likely will stay in regular 29er tires there..

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    wow the truss fork looks great on it.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice, the configuration and finish match nicely

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zacharymay View Post
    I have the same setup, as a singlespeed. A Q2 single speed cog conversion kit was needed on mine. Not sure if that is the cause of your problem though.

mtbr member
    Really like that truss fork. Where did you purchase that from or is it a one-off custom? If so, could you share the dimensions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks.

The fork is one-off custom taking inspiration of the original Jones design (naturally). The axle to crown-lenght is 5mm longer than the original Sawyer fork lifting up the bb a little, and the longer rake (and trail) is also applied to improve the handling.

Compared to the original spec the truss fork improves handling more than anticipated. The steering is quicker and responds much better going to the direction where you point it. Despite of the standard hub and 9mm QR axle the front end is now really solid and you can really feel this when riding technical singletrack etc.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    it's prob the same weight or lighter than stock as well right?... that stock fork is heavy
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Truss is at the moment bit heavier than the stock one but this is because of the thick steel steerer. I'm planning to get aluminum one and this would then result the truss to be bit lighter..

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Trek Sawyer-image.jpg

My Sawyer

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Sawyer Kid Hauler / Townie Build -

This is my Sawyer hauler townie bike. Caramba Cranks, big mustache bars, white brothers fork to lighten it up a bit, and a nicely integrated Chariot hitch.

I haven't had any issues with the hitch set up, and the 40MM rubber with the liberator touring saddle makes this an ultra plush ride.

Last photo is from our trip to the Minnesota State Fair Friday -

Trek Sawyer-kk2.jpgTrek Sawyer-kk4.jpgTrek Sawyer-kk5.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_9954.jpg

mtbr member
    If anyone is looking to part with their 19" send me a PM, I am in the market!

Lazy People Suck
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

29er Geek
    unityhandbuilt

29er Geek
    Well, have the 29+ running on the sawyer, had 2 make 2 different sets of dropouts but it now works, made my dropouts out of steel as I figured the additional leverage might "decimate" 5/16 thick aluminum plate.

What i learned... if you want to find out how f'ed up manufacturing tolerances are try this project, I found my frame is out of square, the tire is out of round as is the tube yet the rim isn't, the knobies on the side of the tire are different heights rim....

but it sure looks pretty in the end LOL
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sawyer 29+.jpg 
Views:	2938 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	818872
    If you'd seem what manufacturers do to frames once "done" you'd understand. Even aluminum frames, post heat-treat get a bit of "cold setting." To see out of square frames, even in the hand built and custom world is not unlikely.

What's the adjustable stem for? Trying to work out the eventual angle/rise or just something you prefer?
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just picked up a Sawyer and love it!

Lord Thunderbottom
    Rebuilt, yet again

Dinglespeed, Monstercross, Commuter

38/18 and 34/22, same chain length, no dropout adjustments to switch gears

Trek Sawyer-20131204_201101.jpg

Trek Sawyer-20131204_200940.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rebuilt, yet again

Dinglespeed, Monstercross, Commuter

38/18 and 34/22, same chain length, no dropout adjustments to switch gears

Name:	20131204_201101.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	852197

Name:	20131204_200940.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	852198
    hey can you post a close-up of your dropouts? I'm on the stock geared bike, would I need a different small part to go single?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Trek Sawyer-mushroom-mtb-cedar-glades-trail-hot-springs-ark-nov-2013.jpg

Latest vacation pic from Arkansas. Everybody comments on my super wide bars but they are the stock bars, just with bar-ends added. And yes, I have banged them on tight trees many times, especially here in the Dallas area the trailbuilders like to thread the narrow tree gaps a lot... so it's now natural instinct for me to body-English the bike through a tight gap.

Still love the bike but honestly it's a heavy beast and I made the mistake of hefting a friend's super light carbon race rig... now I have light bike envy... oh well, n+1

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by fatoldaggie View Post
    hey can you post a close-up of your dropouts? I'm on the stock geared bike, would I need a different small part to go single?
    the only thing you need to go single speed is some spacers for where the cassette would go and an appropriate sized cog, nothing at all special about the dropouts, they are adjustable

I have a mix of the surly single speed kit and some spacers from an old cassette
    Surly Single Speed Spacer Kit > Components > Drivetrain > Singlespeed Cogs and Freewheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

here's a pic of my cogs and spacers
    Trek Sawyer-20131204_201242.jpg

mtbr member

Dually Wheels, OS Bikes Fork, and Jones Bar

I just build up my second Sawyer. Thought I'd share some pics.

Items of interest (to me anyway):
    -OS Bikes fork painted to match
    -Velocity Dually wheels 45mm wide and Schwalbe Big Apples 60mm wide
    -Jones H Bar

It should be a cool cruiser. Still figuring out potential fenders and luggage rack options.

Trek Sawyer-trek1.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-trek2.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-trek3.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-trek4.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    I just build up my second Sawyer. Thought I'd share some pics.

Items of interest (to me anyway):
    -OS Bikes fork painted to match
    -Velocity Dually wheels 45mm wide and Schwalbe Big Apples 60mm wide
    -Jones H Bar

It should be a cool cruiser. Still figuring out potential fenders and luggage rack options.
    Man, that is a thing of beauty. Just curious, why the OS Blackbuck fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Man, that is a thing of beauty. Just curious, why the OS Blackbuck fork?
    Thanks!

The OS fork rides quite a bit better than the stocker. Identical geometry, too. They do make the fork in shorter lengths as well. I may eventually try one of those for quicker handling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone that is running the 3.0 knards comment more on the rear fit? I remember a few people had custom dropouts made.

Why are so many of these built up as road bikes? It's such a sweet frame for actual trail riding. I've seen more of these built up with big apples, fenders etc than I have with knobby tires and mud. It's pretty heavy for a road bike frame.

mtbr member
    My current setup. Not a road bike

29er Geek

My Sawyer...Only mods are Juicy 7's, Polished and cut M960 XTR's and swapped to Bontrager tubeless setup.
    unityhandbuilt

Lord Thunderbottom
    question about stock crank, is the Truvativ Firex 2.0G GXP spaced as a triple or a double

I was thinking switching to a triple crank could help me dial in the chainline on my dinglespeed but then realized this crank may be a triple already

how can I tell?

mtbr member

Latest creation

Here is the Sawyer.

Trek Sawyer-sawyer.jpegTrek Sawyer-image.jpgTrek Sawyer-image.jpg

Here is the photoshopped pic while she is in paint.

Trek Sawyer-img_2991.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_2997.jpg

mtbr member
    Not my thing, but that bike sure is a head turner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Not my thing, but that bike sure is a head turner.
    Thanks Stopbreakindown! I agree with you on not having things. I personally am not into the generic/everyone owns the same name brand bike, so I do things like this instead, but I still agree some of the high end carbon cookie cutter stuff looks nice. Thanks again though! As long as people ride on two wheels i'm down with it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    question about stock crank, is the Truvativ Firex 2.0G GXP spaced as a triple or a double

I was thinking switching to a triple crank could help me dial in the chainline on my dinglespeed but then realized this crank may be a triple already

how can I tell?
    It's a triple crank with a bash guard.

mtbr member
    That thing is wild Chuck. I can dig it. The unique and throwback-type look of the frame is what drew me to my Sawyer as well. It's not a lightweight and it's certainly not the perfect tool for some of places I ride but I love it and it takes a beating without much fuss. I've also got a Wolf Tooth ring, it rocks.

Anyone have any gut feelings on if the Sawyer will clear the incoming Surly Dirt Wizard out back without the use for custom brackets like some have used for the Knard?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkmastafunk2 View Post
    Here is the Sawyer.
    Love the color. How do you like the Onza tires? I went with Kenda Small Block 8 skinwalls because I wanted skinwalls and they were cheaper than those but the 8's really don't give me the grip I want. Might have to get those Canis after all.

mtbr member
    That thing is wild Chuck. I can dig it. The unique and throwback-type look of the frame is what drew me to my Sawyer as well. It's not a lightweight and it's certainly not the perfect tool for some of places I ride but I love it and it takes a beating without much fuss. I've also got a Wolf Tooth ring, it rocks.

Anyone have any gut feelings on if the Sawyer will clear the incoming Surly Dirt Wizard out back without the use for custom brackets like some have used for the Knard?

Thanks man! I try to be different! I believe it will clear. If it almost clears the Knards, it'll clear the Dirt Wizard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

don't get it...

I might be sticking my neck out but I don't understand the thrill of this bike besides the old school look of it. I live in so cal and ride some rough terrain on 5+inches of travel on a heckler and a ellsworth moment for quite some time.
    Originally I threw down the cash so I could ride a bike with my girlfriend if we do some "beach cruising or path cycling" but that just hasn't happened all too often. There was also talk of her riding some dirt fire roads and easy trails.
    So I've looked at this bike for sometime as it hung from the garage wall thinking that I should see how it feels in the dirt. First impression is that it will rattle you apart on anything other than smooth dirt and the flex/bounce that comes from the rear end is just plain annoying.
    As I said, I'm not well rounded when it comes to riding anything other than a long travel 26'' trail bike. I've thought that ok, this thing needs front suspenion to make this bike safe so my hands dont get ripped from the bars but then the rear end pogo stick feeling is weird.
    Is that just a trait of a hardtail?
    Thinking of energy conservation on any ride I would say that a hardtail 29er is best.
    Any suggestions for a bike to look at like Salsa or Niner or what else.
    jacquemin

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brian jacquemin View Post
    Is that just a trait of a hardtail?
    Thinking of energy conservation on any ride I would say that a hardtail 29er is best.
    Any suggestions for a bike to look at like Salsa or Niner or what else.
    You should probably get off the saddle. It's not a full suspension but it's softer riding than any other hardtail I've ridden before it including other steel bikes.

It sounds like you learned to mountain bike on a big travel bike. Money can't buy riding skills and big travel bikes allow you to ride well without skills. No hardtail will allow you to plow over stuff from the saddle like a full squish. Going to have to standup sometimes. The bike is plenty capable of actual trail riding, even with the rigid.

mtbr member
    Long traveled bikes are great for where you ride. I also have one when I don't have to pedal much and am flying downhills. Riding the Sawyer or any hardtail for that matter isn't an easy transition from a long travel. I myself grew up racing BMX bikes and can flick around my Sawyer just as easy as a 26er or a fully with any wheels. It's all in the rider and the area where they ride. I live in WI and there is not one trail within 200 miles that you need suspension. Front or rear.

I'd suggest looking at the Trek Remedy 29er if you want a couch to ride. Also, you never have to get up off the saddle. It's quite the bike and you can ride over anything without having any type of bike handling skills. Having a hardtail or even a rigid can make the trail so much faster when all of you power is transferred to the ground.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    what he said... if you can ride quickly on a rigid you can ride fast on with a dual squish... you learn to pick smoother lines etc.

one key that many people overlook is how important the tire pressure is on a rigid bike... drop it as low as you can go without snake biting... i'm an uber clyde and ran tubed tires into the low/mid 30psi range
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I agree Donalson. I run my 2.25 Onza Canis' at 22 front and 24 rear. You gotta hook up! If I ran rigid I'd run my set of 2.4 Mountain King Front and 2.2 RaceKing Rear. More meat the better!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yes the bigger tires with more volume = even better... also the wider the rim the more volume the tire of a given size will have... the trade-off is the bigger/wider/fatter the heavier it gets...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I agree on the weight. I run the original Velocity Blunts with any tire I'm trying at the time over 2.2. The new X-king has been the best front tire I've ran ever with my combo.

Trek Sawyer-img_1176%5B1%5D.jpg
    Last edited by chunkmastafunk2; 01-23-2014 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    My first 29er hardtail:Trek Sawyer-img_3041%5B1%5D.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_3065%5B1%5D.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_3064%5B1%5D.jpg

Then I went fully.
    Trek Sawyer-img_3042%5B1%5D.jpg

Now I reside on the Sawyer. I'm keeping it forever. I'll start over fresh with my next bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    It sounds like you learned to mountain bike on a big travel bike. Money can't buy riding skills and big travel bikes allow you to ride well without skills. No hardtail will allow you to plow over stuff from the saddle like a full squish.
    Never understood why people think FS = less riding skills. Being a good hardtail rider doesn't automatically make you great at FS, and vice versa. Like those that think riding SS will make you a better geared rider. These are all DIFFERENT skills. Excelling at one doesn't make you better at the other. I appreciate all the rigid riders/racers out there, as I am one. Getting back on a FS takes time to adjust and doesn't equate to better times.

I believe it was Pflug (who primarily races SS/HT) who said one should train on their race bikes (or a bike set up the same). The reasoning behind this is the same reason why HT/Rigid skills doesn't make you a better FS rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    what he said... if you can ride quickly on a rigid you can ride fast on with a dual squish... you learn to pick smoother lines etc...
    "Smoother line" argument gets brought up when comparing FS to HT/Rigid. There is a "smooth/fast" line for all set ups, but not necessarily the same. Again, picking a "rigid line" on a "FS bike" doesn't mean you're faster, and vice versa.

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/g...l#post10811323

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

My first post ever!!! I just wanted to share...

Sawyer Alfine / J-tec / Gates
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-dscf0022.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-dscf0023.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-dscf0015.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muckstar View Post
    I'd like my bike to have babies with your bike. Beautiful color choice! I'm pretty close to that color now. They're baking the frame now. What fork is on there and why? For clearance? What rims/hubs? Nice brakes! If you had a set of the Onzas or Maxxis Ardent with skinwalls it'd finish it off totally. (obviously your choice)

One hell of a ride!

mtbr member
    Wow! Very Nice.

Do you mind sharing your gates set-up (chainring/cog/belt sizes)
    Also is that the Alfine 8 or 11, and what chainline did you end up with?

I have a chaindrive alfine 11 on my sawyer at the moment, would love to convert to a belt drive.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Alfine 8 & J-tec shifter
    Chainring 139t
    Sprocket 22t
    [tried 24t but tad bit low for me still have sprocket if anyone wants it?]
    Belt 113t

It's hard to fettle a proper chainline Alfine is really not designed for this.
    You can't get the chainring close to the frame cos it's fat and the sprocket on Alfine is set well to the centre to make room for the shifting gubbins.

My solution is a bit radical...
    To do it I put the anti rotation jobbies on the inside of the dropouts.
    A new driveside dropout was fitted on the outside of the frame with the mech hanger bit machined off and threaded holes drilled out to allow the bolts to pass through.
    I cut the old driveside dropout flush with the bottom of the frame.
    The tension bolt needs this to press against.
    I then bolted the new dropout to it sandwiching the frames slotted dropouts.
    So you now have a wider offset axle space and thus moves the hub over to the right and allows a proper chainline.
    The threads on the Alfine are long so it seems okay.
    Lastly I redished the wheel to bring it back into the centre.
    And fitted some spacers to get the brake caliper in line again.

There you go, radical/wrong... But it does work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey thanks!!! Your paint job looks very nice

The fork is a Salsa Cromoto Grande.
    I did not like the bridge on the Sawyer fork and the Cromoto is lighter and better and has prettier dropouts. [The G2 thing has not been an issue.]

Shifters J-Tec Hubs Alfine 8 / Ringle disco [looks retro as bulges in centre] Tyres Schwalbe 2.35 tubeless because they are very good & light.
    Rims are Stans Arch on the rear because of the Alfine and crest front with stupid nasty stickers removed.
    I'm not so keen on the skinwall look myself. But great that we are making individual looking bikes.
    Last edited by muckstar; 01-20-2014 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    "Smoother line" argument gets brought up when comparing FS to HT/Rigid.
    Full suspension bikes can do things hardtails can't. They are different to ride and in some ways do require different skills but overall, many of them just make the trail flatter. Picking lines is a skill for example, a skill you don't have to have with most FS bikes especially the ones called "trail" or "all mountain". When I had a Trek Remedy it was super fun because there was so much less I had to think about. I could sit and spin through rock gardens that would throw me off my hardtails. The skills I had just made it that much easier to get the most of the bike. Me picking lines on that bike was me looking for the gnarliest thing that I could clear on it, something I would never even try on my Hardtails.

Although some people think that FS will automatically make you faster, I don't know about that. I don't know if I'm any faster around a loop on my HT or FS. I had a BMC Fourstroke race bike and it was super fast but faster than my HT? Ehhh

mtbr member
    Snapped a quick (bad) picture of my Sawyer before my ride today. Here it is in its current form...

mtbr member
    What rim is your Knard on? 27tpi or 120tpi? Wolf tooth front CR?

P.S. I freaking love these bikes.

mtbr member
    It's a 27tpi. I threw on a friend's 27 and 120 to compare them side by side before purchasing and with the 27 I just felt more comfortable running a lower PSI and felt more sturdy into the corners.

Still running the stock Dusters and have had zero issues at 17 PSI. So far so good but a new wheelset is likely on the horizon anyway.

The rest is pretty much stock except:
    Wolf Tooth ring
    Thomson post, collar, stem
    Spank Spike flats
    Brooks Cambium
    ODI Rogue grips

mtbr member
    It fits well in the fork? I'm curious about running the Knard with a Blunt 35 in that fork. We'll see!

Looks great man!

mtbr member
    Yep, the fit is comfy but there's been no issues between testing out the two tires or mounting the one I purchased. Out back is a completely different matter though. No luck there but perhaps the Dirt Wizard...

mtbr member
    Snapped a quick (bad) picture of my Sawyer before my ride today. Here it is in its current form...

Nice! How do you like the saddle?
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    One of the guys who put knards on his is selling it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    Nice! How do you like the saddle?
    Big fan. It's like finding the sweet spot on a Brooks but without the mileage. Once you get the angle dialed in, you'll love it. I've had two people try it out and both went and picked one up for themselves.

The construction makes it mtb friendly as well. This bike has been dumped more than few times and you wouldn't know it by looking at the saddle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Trek Sawyer

Nice Sawyer
    What saddle is that, I have no idea

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Nice Sawyer
    What saddle is that, I have no idea

Pedaling
    What saddle?

mtbr member
    Brooks Cambium

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I agree on the weight. I run the original Velocity Blunts with any tire I'm trying at the time over 2.2. The new X-king has been the best front tire I've ran ever with my combo.

Name:	IMG_1176[1].jpg 
Views:	1052 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	862121
    Wow! great looking bike. The sawyer has always held a special place in my heart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I Singlespeed View Post
    Wow! great looking bike. The sawyer has always held a special place in my heart.
    Thanks! It's in the paint booth right now! Skinwalls instead of the Contis too!

mtbr member
    I had to have me some skinwalls on my Sawyer. Just put em on along with a aged B17 that I dyed black with a little rust & vinegar.

2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Nice, Details on the rack? What cog are you running on the alfine?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Thanks...that is a Electra rack that I took off my Electra Cruiser. Cog is 20t.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    My current setup. Not a road bike
    Yummy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    I had to have me some skinwalls on my Sawyer. Just put em on along with a aged B17 that I dyed black with a little rust & vinegar.

Loving it. Mine is in paint still!

mtbr member
    Loving it. Mine is in paint still!

I know it's hard waiting...your painter must be very busy! I've thought a lot about getting mine painted...thinking something like a army green.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Noob question here.

I'm 5'11" (30" inseam)

The 19.5" Trek DS bikes barely clear the family jewels when I stand.

Should I be looking at a 17.5" Sawyer?

I would try them at my local LBS...but you know.

Looking for a project bike, gift to myself for my 40th.

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am 5' 11" and ride with a 75cm saddle height (center of bottom bracket to top of saddle). The 17.5" Sawyer is just right for me. It has a long top tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrkie View Post
    I am 5' 11" and ride with a 75cm saddle height (center of bottom bracket to top of saddle). The 17.5" Sawyer is just right for me. It has a long top tube.
    This helps. Thanks!

Anyone wanting to part with a 17.5" frame....PM please.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trek Sawyer

I'm 5'11" and I ride a 19". Fits me like a glove. I run a 100 mm stem with a 17 degree swept bar so it shortens the cockpit somewhat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What crankset do you guys reccommend to replace the Firex?

For trekking/touring. Preferably shimano.

Thanks!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post

Thanks!
    for trekking/touring type riding going to external bearings is less important IMHO... I wouldn't hesitate to go with a square taper setup... but that prob would't be much of an upgrade... ask yourself what you want out of the upgrade... is it gearing range? (trekking/touring gearing tends to be a bit higher than standard MTB gearing...

that being said... I've been happy with my SLX crankset

if you are on a budget and a 170mm crank fits the bill I would lean heavily at this guy Shimano LX FC-M582 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    for trekking/touring type riding going to external bearings is less important IMHO... I wouldn't hesitate to go with a square taper setup... but that prob would't be much of an upgrade... ask yourself what you want out of the upgrade... is it gearing range? (trekking/touring gearing tends to be a bit higher than standard MTB gearing...

that being said... I've been happy with my SLX crankset

if you are on a budget and a 170mm crank fits the bill I would lean heavily at this guy Shimano LX FC-M582 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Thanks for the link...That's a really good price!

Will do more research and look around some more.

mtbr member

Thanks!
    The FireEx is a great crank platform. Why change? You can get a 44 tooth to replace the bashguard and you're set. By going to anything hotter than SLX in Shimano, you'd go up in weight and farther behind in technology. The GXP is a great system. If you do change, send me the FireEx!! Ha!

Lord Thunderbottom

Thanks!
    I just went Deore 26/36/48, it weighs more but it will last forever

Shimano Deore M590 9Speed Crankset W/BB > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ah in my looking I missed that one... I may consider that one on my touring bike... that is about perfect trekking/touring gearing... and it would go with the fact that most of the rest of the bike is deore (good stuff in both my opinion and experience) let the SLX move to a MTB down the road
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Lord Thunderbottom
    I guess I can post this now that I'm almost done with another sawyer rebuild

Drop bar trekking build, Deore drivetrain, 3x9, 26/36/48 crank, 12-36 cassette, Ultegra bar end shifters, Salsa woodchipper Bar, BB7 Mountain brakes, Cane Creek drop V levers (long pull for MTB brakes), Surly Knard 41c tires, Brooks Flyer saddle, Wellgo flat/clipless pedals, Fargo V2 fork (simply because my sawyer came to me with the steerer cut too short to get the bars where I needed to run drops)

Still running the crappy looking scuffed up seatpost till the kiddo rides his own bike

Trek Sawyer-sawyer.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Finally got my 2011.

29.0 lbs with Shimano Saint pedals.

Gotta get a new saddle and grips. Conti Contact II (700 x 47c) on the way as well. Just paved roads for a while.

The top-tube is looong as many have said. I'm 5' 11" with a 30" inseam and the 17.5" feels like its 'just the right amount' of bike. Standover is perfect also. I can't imagine any clearance on the 19".

Can't wait to ride out tomorrow.

I don't know how many times I've re-read this thread before buying the bike.

Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trek Sawyer

Tested out the new belt drive this morning and it worked great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Has anyone here ever tried to use a frame bag on a Sawyer? I'm looking to build up a touring rig, and I'd like a sawyer, but due to its unique frame design, I'm thinking I would run into too many issues when mounting cargo accessories.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Can anyone confirm stock stem length/rise on the 17.5" frame?

This thread says, 105mm, +/-7 degrees on the 19" frame.

Found some other sources indicating 100mm, +/-7 degrees on the 17.5" frame.
    Last edited by steinercat; 05-23-2014 at 02:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm lovin' my 2012 Sawyer and have done some modest changes/upgrades. Great bike by all accounts.

So great, in fact, that my brother now wants a 2011 in XL. I can't seem to find a stock one for sale anywhere after a year of looking... and the modified ones are a bit pricey on the 'Bay. Anyone selling out there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonmustang View Post
    I'm lovin' my 2012 Sawyer and have done some modest changes/upgrades. Great bike by all accounts.

So great, in fact, that my brother now wants a 2011 in XL. I can't seem to find a stock one for sale anywhere after a year of looking... and the modified ones are a bit pricey on the 'Bay. Anyone selling out there?
    I had better luck with pinkbikes than eBay. Just post a WTB and check regularly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had better luck with pinkbikes than eBay. Just post a WTB and check regularly.
    Ah, cool -- I'll try there. Thanks!

mtbr member

Trek Sawyer Update

I just finished painting my beast. Now for the build. It's going slow since it's planting season here, but check out the progress!

Trek Sawyer-10414442_666677326656_6620458595585037100_n.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-img_4849.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-img_4848.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-img_4847.jpg

mtbr member
    Love it.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    I just finished painting my beast. Now for the build. It's going slow since it's planting season here, but check out the progress!

Name:	10414442_666677326656_6620458595585037100_n.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	898948
    Nice! Was wondering when it was going to be out.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    She's getting there. I don't know if I want my On-One Mary bars or my Bonty RL flat. I like the 25.4 Mary bar/Thomson stem combo with the Marys for a more traditional look. Any ideas guys? If someone made a wider "Mary" type bar that'd be what I'd get.

mtbr member
    Been waiting to see how that would come out. Looks good. Like the Gary Fisher badge as well.

As far as bars, too personal to comment. When I first purchased my Sawyer, I thought the Crivitz bar would be the first to go. But I've ended up really enjoying it. If I were to slap down money on something new, I'd probably opt for the Jones H-Bar.

mtbr member
    She's getting there. I don't know if I want my On-One Mary bars or my Bonty RL flat. I like the 25.4 Mary bar/Thomson stem combo with the Marys for a more traditional look. Any ideas guys? If someone made a wider "Mary" type bar that'd be what I'd get.
    I have the Marys on my Fatty and Metropolis on my Sawyer. These Surlys are about 1" wider than the Marys and 2" more than the Metropolis.

Surly Open Bar Black 40mm Rise - Modern Bike
    Surly Open Bar Black No Rise - Modern Bike
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member

Gary Fisher Sawyer Completed!

Here it is! Finally all done! It's going to remain a Gary Fisher like he intended. 1969 Chevrolet truck paint.

Build list:
    Frame: 2011 Trek Sawyer (Gary Fisher Collection)
    Fork: 2010 Cannondale Lefty 90mm PBR Project 321 adaptor
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 w/ Niner YAWD top cap
    Stem: RXL 90
    Bars: Bontrager RL 720 15mm Rise / Bontrager Crivitz
    Grips: Ergon Biokork (RH cut and shaped for gripshift)
    Seat: WTB SST
    Brakes: Hope Tech 3 X2 160f/140r
    Shifters: SRAM X0 Twist 10 Speed
    Cassette: SRAM 1070 11-36 with Hope T-Rex 40t Expander
    Chain: SRAM 1090
    Front Der: None
    Rear Der. SRAM X9 Type 2 short cage
    Cranks: e*thirteen XCX
    Chainring: 34t Wolf Tooth Components
    Wheels: Velocity Blunt in Teak Hope rear/Lefty SL front
    Pedals: Crank Bros Eggbeater 3s
    Tires: 2.25 Onza Canis skinwall
    Bits: Dimension woodgrain cages and seatpost clamp

Trek Sawyer-img_4961.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_4963.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_4965.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_4966.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_4962.jpgTrek Sawyer-img_4964.jpg
    Trek Sawyer-img_4955.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    She's a beauty, and I don't mind the idea of the Lefty as far as ride quality goes, but the Lefty is throwing off the aesthetics of the bike with all the other retroesque touches you've done. For pure looks, I'd of stuck with the rigid fork. And, yes, I feel like a dork for being critical of such a sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks Slow Danger. I love my Lefty too much to not run it. It is for sure the mix or old and new. Maybe I will build it up rigid when I finish my bamboo race bike. For now, I am still looking for a Blunt in teak to build up a 9mm front wheel as a alternative to my Lefty wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Concur

Thanks Slow Danger. I love my Lefty too much to not run it. It is for sure the mix or old and new. Maybe I will build it up rigid when I finish my bamboo race bike. For now, I am still looking for a Blunt in teak to build up a 9mm front wheel as a alternative to my Lefty wheel.
    I also have a lefty on mine which is completely setup as a 29+, I also have a lefty on my fat tire and am considering running my spare lefty on some version of a street bike???maybe my alsop softride lol Trek Sawyer-image.jpg

MattyK
    Apr 2009

My Trek Sawyer Update

I've stalked this thread for years. I thought I'd finally post my current iteration of the Sawyer.
    Fox Float FIT 100mm fork with the offset.
    RaceFace Turbine 1x crankset. (really janky fit for this specific combo. I don't recommend)
    MRP Chainguide
    Raceface Turbine bar
    Thompson stem, flipped of course
    KS LEV Dropper post
    XT Shifter/D
    Slllllllllllllick KMC Black/red chain
    Juicy 5 brakes with Rotors: 203F,185R
    Salsa and King bits.
    Stock, Duster wheels converted to tubeless.
    Ergo saddle cause my balls dont like regular stuff.
    Cane Creek bar ends because why not have some options on long fire road climbs.
    I'll clean it up and do some tasteful shots in a couple days.Trek Sawyer-photo.jpg.jpg

Lord Thunderbottom
    Anyone using a Jaand frame pack on the sawyer?

Frame Pack

the dimensions look good just wondering if I can keep the seat tube bottle bracket for sure, otherwise I'd make something and just take up the whole frame

not sure where else to mount bottles then, maybe on the fork

Lord Thunderbottom
    Finished my first century this weekend, I have a road bike that weighs 1/2 what the sawyer does but this setup is such a smooth comfy ride, it tamed 55 miles of gravel along the way

Trek Sawyer-sawyer.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    WOW, I bought my Sawyer in 2011. I saw it in a shop in Manhattan (I was out there working) and I HAD to have it.

It just occurred to me to look up peoples Sawyers this week and I had no idea they built such a following.

I rolled around NYC on mine for a month while I was there working then brought it home to Los Angeles and ditched the fork, stem , and bars ASAP.

Nothing against the Bontrager bars, they're on my Slingshot Farmboy and are working great.
    EVERYthing against that G2 boat anchor fork.

anywho, I added an Origin8 Black Ops carbon fork. It was the only fork at the time that fit my weight requirements (as far as I know) It's not super light but it's a hell of a lot smoother than stock.

Ritchey approx 1" rise bars and 120mm 6deg stem finish that off.
    WTB Saddle and the rest is stock

OH! tires, I'm back on the original Bontrager front although it sucks for the loose sandy granite like trails around my house (near JPL) and a Kenda Nevegal 2.2 out back. I got the Kenda in Moab last year and I really like it. Too bad they seem to have stopped production.

pictures from today during and after riding at JPL

Aquiring a Specialized FATboy in the next month or so. I expect that will be my main trail bike for around here.

Once I have it I'm taking the Sawyer down and doing something like;
    Belt Drive
    Alfine 8
    Rabbit Hole rim with a 29x3 Knard for the front
    Velocity Dually rim on the Alfine in the rear keeping the Kenda for now
    Stans front and rear tubeless stuff
    King headset just because it's neat-o
    and lighter stuff, seat post, crankset, pedals, seat, etc
    maybe some shimano XT or XTR brakes?

really want a Rohloff but I have the Alfine so I'll give it a beating first.

My Slingshot is SS and I'm happy with that for no gears.

I have loved this bike from day one, at first just for looks (not the ride) because of the G2. I have never ridden a bike that was G2 that felt like it fit me. I'm 6'3" and 230 lbs (on a light day), with a 33-34" (short-ish) inseam and G2 feels like a huffy with a bent fork to me. Once I swapped that everything livened up and I love riding it.

I recently found Meriwether's bike blog and I think I'll be ordering one of his Sawyer looking frames in the next year or 2. I suspect I'm too heavy for the Sawyer, it flexes EVERYwhere to the point of shifting up and down on really hard torque-y climbs. that's a lot of twist! and yes I've tried tuning it out many times...
    Last edited by GRpufnstuf; 07-05-2014 at 07:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've been loving my Sawyer but thinking I might sell it and get a lighter bike to start racing. Any idea what market value would be? I also bought and had the LBS install the Fox shock fork but otherwise it's still stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Trek Sawyer Sold Prices on Ebay

Past sales on Ebay range from $555 to $1400.

Sales from $900 - $1000 were frequent.

Trek Sawyer-capture.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fatoldaggie View Post
    I've been loving my Sawyer but thinking I might sell it and get a lighter bike to start racing. Any idea what market value would be? I also bought and had the LBS install the Fox shock fork but otherwise it's still stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Let me tell you a sad story. I took my Sawyer to Greece in the Summer of 2011 and really had a blast riding it there. I mostly rode a combination of gravel and paved back roads with a few trails thrown in (but really not that many) and although it was heavier than any bike I currently own it had a really good ride quality and even over there a certain coolness factor among the many people I met who were cycling enthusiasts.

Thinking I was going to go back I left it at my mother's Apartment in Athens and there it sits in her basement storage area, still packed in it's bike case gathering rust as far as I can tell.

I'll be going back in the Summer of 2015. Maybe I'll bring a load of parts (tires, chain, etc.) to refurbish it. I will at least bring it back this time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I really like the look of this bike..

Anyone know where closeouts might be sold?

My LBS has none.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rerod View Post
    I really like the look of this bike..

Anyone know where closeouts might be sold?

My LBS has none.
    It took me almost 6 months to find one, it was local and frame only which worked great for my 29+ Build, but needed a large which is popular frame

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It took me almost 6 months to find one, it was local and frame only which worked great for my 29+ Build, but needed a large which is popular frame
    Thanks..

Id like to find a medium since Im 5'9" with a gear hub.. Just wishing.. Anyone?

Singleton
    Quote Originally Posted by rerod View Post
    Thanks..

Id like to find a medium since Im 5'9" with a gear hub.. Just wishing.. Anyone?
    If only you're from Japan then you could have my Sawyer. I'm 5'9 and uses 17.5" frame. It has the Alfine 11 + belt drive and new set of spike pedals.

I believe you could find several Sawyers from ebay.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliam View Post
    If only you're from Japan then you could have my Sawyer. I'm 5'9 and uses 17.5" frame. It has the Alfine 11 + belt drive and new set of spike pedals.
    How do you like the Alfine + Belt Drive setup?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Yea love that bike..

b a n n e d
    FYI For those looking for a Sawyer . . . might be kinda tough to convince the seller to sell to a non-local buyer, but worth a shot:

Trek --- Sawyer --- Gary Fisher 29er
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Just had one slip through my finger tips for $450 on craigslist...

DAMMIT if all the deals don't come up when you're broke...
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

Singleton
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    as rerod said, love it to death!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliam View Post
    as rerod said, love it to death!
    I ended up with a anthem but still want a sawyer. Yours would do..

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So....my back is telling me I need to raise the handlebar and bring it closer in.

I picked up a stem riser on the cheap, and it does exactly what I needed.

However, the bike looks like crap with the riser. I just can't get over how out of place the riser looks on this bike.

Any suggestions on a riser bar / stem combo?

I was thinking getting a shortish 60/70mm stem with a 30-40 degree rise and then a riser bar to go with it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trek Sawyer

So....my back is telling me I need to raise the handlebar and bring it closer in.

However, the bike looks like crap with the riser. I just can't get over how out of place the riser looks on this bike.

I was thinking getting a shortish 60/70mm stem with a 30-40 degree rise and then a riser bar to go with it.

Thanks!
    Try a short stem with a swept back bar. I have a Salsa flat bar with 17 degree sweep that I love but I had to get a longer stem to get the same reach. The sweep really brings the bar closer.

Lord Thunderbottom

Thanks!
    I'm running this Bontrager: Race Lite 4-Bolt 40 Degree (Model #11233) on my current sawyer drop bar setup

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm running this Bontrager: Race Lite 4-Bolt 40 Degree (Model #11233) on my current sawyer drop bar setup
    Thanks! That stem looks good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Last edited by steinercat; 01-12-2015 at 02:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Trek Sawyer

Picked up a custom frame bag and "gas tank" bag from Rogue Panda Designs. Love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have been Looking for a Sawyer for a while with no luck. Finally one pops up on CL. Is there a more desirable year between the 2011 and 2012? Is $800 a reasonable price for a 2012 that hasn't been rode hardly at all?

I'm not going to race around on it or anything, plain and simple I like the looks of it and just want it for rail trails and the occasional gravel ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    I have been Looking for a Sawyer for a while with no luck. Finally one pops up on CL. Is there a more desirable year between the 2011 and 2012? Is $800 a reasonable price for a 2012 that hasn't been rode hardly at all?
    You can try offering less. Blue Book say $796 for like new.
    2012 Trek Sawyer (Gary Fisher Collection) - New and Used Bike Value
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

I'm not going to race around on it or anything, plain and simple I like the looks of it and just want it for rail trails and the occasional gravel ride.
    $800 seems fair....esp. if it is pristine. I love mine...and I've done both laligagging and racing it around!

-r

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I ended up buying it. Haven't even rode it yet and I know that I am going to love it. Only place you can tell it has been used is the thread holes on the cranks for the pedals. Super clean. This is one of those bikes that you can call sexy, lol.

mtbr member
    I ended up buying it. Haven't even rode it yet and I know that I am going to love it. Only place you can tell it has been used is the thread holes on the cranks for the pedals. Super clean. This is one of those bikes that you can call sexy, lol.
    Can't go wrong with that. I got mine for $1000 on closeout. I think that bronze looks great!
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Attachment 973765 This is the day I brought it home. Very clean. I thought that I would have rather had the grey, but the bronze is perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Attachment 973768 I wanted to make it my own so I added the brown grips and seat that I had from another bike. I think the brown really gels with the bronze.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What degree stem are you running?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have a geared sawyer in coming. want to convert to ss. is there a special dropout for ss or use the one included with the derailleur hanger?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phepner View Post
    I have a geared sawyer in coming. want to convert to ss. is there a special dropout for ss or use the one included with the derailleur hanger?
    I use the one with the derailleur hanger with my 11 spd Alfine.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Can someone tell me the BB size for the Sawyer?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Attachment 979028

For some reason the rear tire looks to be shifted to on side, or at least it appears to me. I am new to this style of rear drop outs and the
    Sawyer. I can't believe that it should be like that. Is there some sort of adjusting I can do to the dropouts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Attachment 979031

2nd view.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Attachment 979028

For some reason the rear tire looks to be shifted to on side, or at least it appears to me. I am new to this style of rear drop outs and the
    Sawyer. I can't believe that it should be like that. Is there some sort of adjusting I can do to the dropouts?
    one of your dropouts has slipped... loosen, adjust, tighten...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would guess that the cassette side is the one that needs to be adjusted back, right?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    honestly I can't recall.. sold my sawyer almost 2 years ago now... but one has slipped for sure
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Lord Thunderbottom
    I would guess that the cassette side is the one that needs to be adjusted back, right?
    yes, the cassette side tends to slide forward and it looks like the tire is further from the drive side stays in your pics so that makes sense

I've been thinking about buying longer bolts and a lock washer, lock tight doesn't seem to help any

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Attachment 979028

Mine does that also. it's just very fiddly, with the adjustable / removable dropouts -
    trial and error is the only way I've found to get it straight.

And be sure to wrench the bolts tightly when you do finally get it straight!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I didn't ever think I would ask this, but does anyone have a kickstand on their Sawyer? Honestly I don't think I would ever take it on a trail that would warrant having one a safety issue. It sure would be nice to not have to lean it against something and worry about it falling when out running around town.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I didn't ever think I would ask this, but does anyone have a kickstand on their Sawyer? Honestly I don't think I would ever take it on a trail that would warrant having one a safety issue. It sure would be nice to not have to lean it against something and worry about it falling when out running around town.
    there's 2 pics on this page with chainstay kickstands, seems fine if your sawyer is just a cruiser

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/tr...629884-19.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

sawyers

two sawyers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have been through most of this thread - started around late 2012 posts. I love this frame and have the opportunity to buy a mostly stock complete 2011 Sawyer. It will be converted to single speed as to buy it, I will have to get rid of my Kona Unit SS. To those of you that really mountain bike on it, can it be a daily mountain biking bike? I ride the front range of Colorado and like to go fast, bunny hop rocks, take some small drops - smooth single track to rock gardens, I like it all. How does the Sawyer do? I would plan on a suspension fork at some time. Would love to hear how it does.

MattyK
    Apr 2009
    This bike is really capable as long as you throw a 100mm fork with a 51mm offset and can wrangle some English into your handling. I have a 100mm Float along with 203mm XT brakes, Schwalbe Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic combo and a KS Dropper post and this will handle a significant amount of terrain. I won't say that it's a smooth ride on downhill oriented singletrack, but it's absolutely doable. I live in the Bay Area, CA and ride in the Santa Cruz Mountains for the lion share of my riding. This bike can handle anything at Soquel Demo and a fair amount of the trails at UCSC. With some light/stiff wheels, you're looking at a bike that handles well, but it's by no means light. I tip the scales at 32lbs, which is a full 2lbs heavier than my old crusher, a Pivot Firebird. Any time that I get down about having a heavy 29er, the comments I get form other folks on the trail makes me realize what kind of unique bike this really is. I've put way too much money into mine, but it really is a fun bike with multiple personalities depending on how you build it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I pulled the trigger and am now the owner of a 2011 Sawyer. I am so psyched! Unfortunately the Kona SS will have to go, but not before I swap out the XT brakes. It's currently disassembled as they were preparing to ship it. I am going to put it together in stock configuration and get a good geared ride on it, but within a week or so, it should be in SS mode. I am already so jazzed on all the great possibilities this frame affords and man....the look of it cannot be beat. Thanks to those that have responded.

Lazy People Suck
    I just listed my Trek Sawyer for sale in the mtbr classifieds. Check it out in the 29er hardtail category. It is a really nice bike.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    here she is - Mostly stock aside from the SS conversion and the Shimano brakes
    Trek Sawyer-sawyer-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Love that frame!

Sure miss mine.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I don't think I could ever part with mine.

Nice background CObiker!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Any Sawyer SS's have issues with the rear wheel sliding forward? I have everything locked down pretty good, but still seems to be some slip that is loosening my chain. Any tips? Thanks.
    btw - I now have 3 good rides totaling about 50 miles. I really dig this bike and while I have a brand new carbon bar, I am really liking the Crivitz.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by CObiker123 View Post
    Any Sawyer SS's have issues with the rear wheel sliding forward? I have everything locked down pretty good, but still seems to be some slip that is loosening my chain. Any tips? Thanks.
    I had some issues with a cocked wheel a few times, added a bit more loctite to the bolts, including the little preset threaded rod dealies, seems fine after that

mtbr member
    Just bought a Sawyer and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Soooo pumped off right now!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    I've had mine about three years and love it. Really like the stock bars too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    Just bought a Sawyer and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Soooo pumped off right now!

What year did you get? I have a 2012 and it is beautiful and rides awesome. You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    What year did you get? I have a 2012 and it is beautiful and rides awesome. You won't be disappointed.
    Found a 2011. I'm pretty excited. I need to decide what route I want to go with this build. I'm torn between townie commuter or SS trail bike....

I'm sure there's no wrong decision. Well, maybe ape hanger handlebars is a wrong decision....

2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm sure there's no wrong decision. Well, maybe ape hanger handlebars is a wrong decision....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    The way I see it, that frame could make anything look good. I have mine set up for rail trails and going with the kids.

mtbr member
    I tried searching and couldn't find an answer. Does this bike have a tapered headtube?

2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    I tried searching and couldn't find an answer. Does this bike have a tapered headtube?

No it doesn't.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.