Trek Sawyer - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What is the stock stem length/rise? I have a large frame if that matters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The stock stem on my large was 105mm, +/- 7 degree.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thank you, RocktonRider!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Picked mine up last week!!!!

Love it!!!!!

Lord Thunderbottom
    anyone having issues with the stock sawyer wheelset?

I'm 250# and pulling an 80lb trailer, first time over the rocks and roots yesterday the wheels felt really flexy

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    depending on what year... '11 had bonty dusters.
    the duster rims should be failry stout... they aren't the strongest out there but i've seen good reports even for clyds... and the big hub flanges should help... i'd bet having the shop re-tension the spokes could help a lot

for the mustangs on the '12 model I don't know... they are a narrower but I don't know much about em.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    i'd bet having the shop re-tension the spokes could help a lot
    I was thinking the same, I've got a few hundred miles on them now

djrez4
    So, here's an off (spelled s-t-u-p-i-d) question that may be better placed in the frame-building forum:

Structurally, what does the single, lower top tube actually accomplish? Could it be removed to drop some weight? Not that I'm planning on it (or that I even own a Sawyer at the moment), but I'm curious...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
    So, here's an off (spelled s-t-u-p-i-d) question that may be better placed in the frame-building forum:

Structurally, what does the single, lower top tube actually accomplish? Could it be removed to drop some weight? Not that I'm planning on it (or that I even own a Sawyer at the moment), but I'm curious...
    Nah, it's a good question.

So the Sawyer is a retro throwback to the old cruisers originally converted to clunkers. The reason that old cruisers had the three bar and also double top tubes was to make it structurally sounder. The original steel used wasn't very good and would bend easily and flex too much. The double top tube and third bar stiffened the frames and made them stronger.

There's a weight penalty though, even though the double top tube and third bar do allow you to use thinner tubing and retain the same strength..

djrez4
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    Nah, it's a good question.

So the Sawyer is a retro throwback to the old cruisers originally converted to clunkers. The reason that old cruisers had the three bar and also double top tubes was to make it structurally sounder. The original steel used wasn't very good and would bend easily and flex too much. The double top tube and third bar stiffened the frames and made them stronger.

There's a weight penalty though, even though the double top tube and third bar do allow you to use thinner tubing and retain the same strength..
    That makes sense. My first bike was a banana-seat Schwinn that had a removable top tube to turn it into a girl's bike.

My question remains, though. Maybe I should just get a Twinzer instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I was thinking the same, I've got a few hundred miles on them now
    Re-tensioning the spokes is always a good thing to do after youve trashed your bike for a long time.

Singleton
    Hi Klunkers!

Does anyone of you run your sawyer with gates carbon belt drive?

Will the 39t x 22t CDX with 113t belt fit the bike? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by wheeliam; 04-20-2012 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yes, I have that exact belt drive setup on my Sawyer

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

My Sawyer build

Put a few parts on tonite and realized that I still need a few small items. Just wanted to give a quick build update. Not the best pic, but I have a cheap camera!

WNC Native
    That's going to be a Sharp Sawyer!!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Singleton
    thanks werx04!

TommyA, that's one lovely bike you're building there!

mtbr member
    any you get to build it in the house?! You must be single.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    any you get to build it in the house?! You must be single.
    Actually, I'm married with 3 year old twins...I just have a really cool wife!

Thanks for the compliments guys, can't wait to ride it.

In over my head
    None in my shop yet, expectin' them this summer. I hear it's a nice ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012

gears

I'm building up my first 29er. It is a Trek Sawyer and will be a single speed. Any suggestions on gear set up. I live and ride in the midwest. Mostly flatter off road, low angle climbing, xc. Any suggestions on front and back?

Thanks,

GTTR

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by glued to the rim View Post
    I'm building up my first 29er. It is a Trek Sawyer and will be a single speed. Any suggestions on gear set up. I live and ride in the midwest. Mostly flatter off road, low angle climbing, xc. Any suggestions on front and back?

Thanks,

GTTR
    I started 32 x 20, after one season went to 32 x 19 and now use 32 x 18. I tried going from 20 direct to 18 but needed the transition gear to get comfortable.

Riding pretty flat S. Ontario and some hillier Michigan terrain.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I know what I use on my 26er s.s., but do not know how that transfers over to 29er. Sounds like you terrain is similar to what I ride on .

Thanks,

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    With the 32 x 18 I'm spinning out in a sprint at about 32 km/h and can turn a very comfortable 22-23 km/h on the trail. I can also make it up 99% of the climbs I routinely ride.

If you have a good 26" gear then use an online calculator to find the equivalent 29" wheel gear inches.

mtbr member
    I use 32 X 19 off road and 34 X 17 on road.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just coverted myself and am running 32x19 for the small rolling hills in central NC. I've only got a couple rides in so far but it seems to work pretty well though I do spin out a bit on pavement sections. I'm guessing a 32x18 would probably be better for flatter midwest riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Been running 32x17 and spin out on all flats but mash out all climbs.

mtbr member
    So, the sawyer has seen a few changes since the last time I posted pictures.

Changed the wheels to a DT Swiss front hub w/ 9mm through laced to a salsa gordo rim, rear hub is a SS chub hub laced to a gordo as well. Went tubeless w/ the Hans dampf trail star front / pace star rear. (the sliders are pretty far forward and clearance is tight)

Straitline Amp pedals and added a red ano hbc 32t chainring.

Titanium handlebar w/ 17* sweep and a specialized stem 75mm 16* rise. Thomson 350mm seat post, need to find a Ti layback soon and it should be complete.

Total weight on a park scale: 29.3lbs

Last edited by Stopbreakindown; 05-22-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added the weight

Singleton
    Hi Sawyer lovers!

Does anyone know what the narrowest touring tyre I can fit on the stock wheel/rim (bontrager)? i.e. Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS 382 (700x40C, 28x2.00, etc.)

TIA!

Hi stopbreakingdown, awesome build!
    Last edited by wheeliam; 05-21-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    depends on what rims you've got... the dusters are 28mm OD wide the mustangs are a little narrower as I recall... you want a tire at least 4mm wider as I recall is the rule of thumb... but that is a minimum.

take a look at "width consideration"
    Tire Sizing Systems

for what it's worth i've got some 700x38's and happy with the size... but i'd consider 700x32 next time around
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Singleton
    hi donaldson,

thanks for the quick reply and tips! I'm using the dusters (2011) so I guess I would consider 700x38c. tnx!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have my Sawyer almost done. (Will post pics when I have the last part on - Chris King Headset).
    Here is the list:
    Thompson lead back seat post
    Thompson stem
    Stan rims, DT Spokes, GEAX Saguaro 29 rubber, (tubes)
    New style Surly Black Hubs
    Avid BB7 Brakes, 180 front and 150 rear rotors
    Paul Black brake levers
    White single speed free wheel
    The crank that came with the frame
    Salsa Pro Moto 2 handle bars
    Salsa seat post colar.
    Brooks B15 antique brown saddle
    Portland Desing Whiskey dark brown grips.
    The Chris King headset will Brown with the dark script.
    Gearing is 34 x 18

Love the brakes (my first of mechicals).
    Last edited by glued to the rim; 05-22-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added more text/description

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliam View Post
    hi donaldson,

thanks for the quick reply and tips! I'm using the dusters (2011) so I guess I would consider 700x38c. tnx!
    I mounted 700x35 this weekend, works good and leaves a little overlap

from reviewing previous posts (note I did not measure for myself) the duster rim is 24mm inside 28mm outside so you might be able to go as low as 28-30 but I have not tried it, I just went with what the shop had a plentiful supply of

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been running Panaracer Pasela 700x32 on Rhythms (Duster) just fine. Zipp guy says it's more aero to have a rim that is close to the tire width. Firecrests are 24mm wide.

Singleton
    @Titan & GTR-33, wow guys thanks much for the replies!

I'm currently using the Schwalbe Big A (2.35) and it's really a pain taking it on hills (as it's a single speed belt drive 39/24). I was thinking of putting the Alfine 11 IGH coupled with skinnier 35 or 38 tires so as to trim down the weight a lil bit (the IGH is an added load to the bike though).

hava nice bike season everyone!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    geared hub is added weight but it's at the center of the hub so it's not serious rotational weight... skinny tires tend to weigh a lot less and it's out at the end of the rotation so it's the worst of the worst for rotational weight
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I found a 2011 Sawyer at a local big box retailer...for $649. Normally I'd stew over buying a new bike, but I gladly plunked down the $$$.

The bike seems big for a 19". Now I'm concerned I needed a bigger size. I've only owned one mountain bike (roadie), and had standard 26 inch wheels.

I'm 6'2" on the nose in the morning, with longer legs than torso....

While this thread is a wealth of info, compared to my front sprong 2001 Raleigh, the bike rides great.

mtbr member
    That is a killer deal!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    killer deal...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeyer View Post
    I found a 2011 Sawyer at a local big box retailer...for $649. Normally I'd stew over buying a new bike, but I gladly plunked down the $$$.

The bike seems big for a 19". Now I'm concerned I needed a bigger size. I've only owned one mountain bike (roadie), and had standard 26 inch wheels.

I'm 6'2" on the nose in the morning, with longer legs than torso....

While this thread is a wealth of info, compared to my front sprong 2001 Raleigh, the bike rides great.
    Sweet Deal.
    I am your height and have a 19inch 29er. I use a 410mm seat post so I have a lot of post in the frame. With a std length post I was close to the min insertion line.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Has anyone had any slipping issues with the rear dropouts since they are nearly identical to the other Trek models with said problems?

Singleton
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    geared hub is added weight but it's at the center of the hub so it's not serious rotational weight... skinny tires tend to weigh a lot less and it's out at the end of the rotation so it's the worst of the worst for rotational weight
    Hi donalson, I'm not sure if I got your point right. Did you mean that the skinny tires (say 38 or 35) plus geared hub is a no-go?

Singleton
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBuddy View Post
    Has anyone had any slipping issues with the rear dropouts since they are nearly identical to the other Trek models with said problems?
    hmm mine slips a lil bit even if it's properly tightened (only when I put it in elevator and the rear wheel bangs to the elevator wall).

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Hi donalson, I'm not sure if I got your point right. Did you mean that the skinny tires (say 38 or 35) plus geared hub is a no-go?
    no... it'll work fine... I was getting at the fact that geared hubs are heavy and thats a turn off to many people... but because it's at the center of the wheel it doesn't make as big of a difference as many people think...

but tires because they are at the outside of the wheel are much more important as far as weight as it takes more energy to "spin up"... and in general a skinny tire like you are looking at is going to weigh less than a full size MTB tire... so even with the heavier hub you should be able to spin the tire up more easily.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Birthday Collector
    hi donaldson,

I would probably not go any smaller than that - the smaller tire sort of screws up the trail geo and makes the bike feel a bit squirrelly. We had a customer put the Big Apples on his, and it was kind of a blast to ride with the big, fat but still fast tires...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    big apples also have so much air volume that you get a lot more "suspension" in the ride... so thats def not a bad way to go
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There are no problems with the Sawyer or any other model with this dropout. A couple people on the internet hardly makes it a "known problem" they make and sell thousands of these bikes.

mtbr member
    I did have this issue, but it seemed to stop after a break in period on my Sawyer. Hasn't been a problem since last summer. The tensioner thingies do come loose still, easily fixed with nail polish or loc-tight. But not the whole slider set up. The tensioners are only for getting positioned right- not for holding the wheel at all.

AZ
    banned
    There is a problem with some of these, that is why an upgraded fastener kit exists. If you do have issues it is a known warranty issue that is quite easily addressed.

mtbr member
    Does this mean my back wheel will fall off?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I found a deal on a 2011 Sawyer, but I've read that the Sawyer will only accept a 46t Center Track pulley in the front. Does anybody know if the Sawyer has enough chainstay clearance to use the 50t pulley, or maybe even the 55t pulley? I ask because besides single track, I grind alot a gravel and ride some payment during the week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Mine is set up with a 48 big ring, 28 rear and a 120T belt. Puts the wheel in the middle of the range for the sliders. Gates Carbon Drive Center Track components.

From what I saw, Gates doesn't list a 48 tooth pulley. Is it a 46? The discontinued Norco Judan was spec'd with that size, but it was not the newer Center Track version

Do you know the diameter of your 48t pulley and how much additional chainstay clearance remains?
    Last edited by BlackSheep01; 06-07-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added quote

Singleton
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    I would probably not go any smaller than that - the smaller tire sort of screws up the trail geo and makes the bike feel a bit squirrelly. We had a customer put the Big Apples on his, and it was kind of a blast to ride with the big, fat but still fast tires...
    hi Scott! thanks for the tip! I'm actually running a 2.35 BAs. agree with you, it's so effective and fast on roads.

The +or-35c is just part of my sawyer's conversion to a touring bike.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi Blacksheep,

you're right, as per Gates, there's only 46t, 50, 55t, etc.

https://www.carbondrivesystems.com/d...istRev_Web.pdf

Anyway, I visually measured the clearance from 39t Front sprocket (CDX only not Centre Track) to chainstay, and it seems to be a little like 5-6mm gap in between. So I guess this could give you a very small room for 46t front sprocket (if not fitting).

Best thing is to give Gates a call. Theyre so very halepful with regards to this. I got these (39t front, 24t rear sprockets & 113t belt including shipping to Japan all for FREE ! coz they got no dealer here in Japan) goooood deal from Gates. This is jsut to tell you how nice the Gates guys are.
    Last edited by wheeliam; 06-08-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep01 View Post
    From what I saw, Gates doesn't list a 48 tooth pulley. Is it a 46? The discontinued Norco Judan was spec'd with that size, but it was not the newer Center Track version

Do you know the diameter of your 48t pulley and how much additional chainstay clearance remains?
    Sorry for the miscue there, it is a 46 and the rear is a 28.

Plenty of clearance to the frame up front. Center Track gives you more clearance due to the design of the cog.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Sorry for the miscue there, it is a 46 and the rear is a 28.

Plenty of clearance to the frame up front. Center Track gives you more clearance due to the design of the cog.
    Thanks for the quick responses (and photos) guys.

The technical manual from Gates shows the diameter of both the CDX and the CenterTrack, and a CenterTrack pully definetly has a smaller footprint. While the outer tooth diameter is the same, the CenterTrack pullies are not as wide, they are over 2mm narrower. It also looks like the CDX is positioned more towards the frame because of the mounting design. The CenterTrack looks more centered, thus giving it more clearance to the chainstay.

I'm gonna give Gates a call and see if they can help me out. I was hoping that I might have the option to retofit the Sawyer with a 50t CenterTrack pulley (14.4 mm bigger than the 46t), or maybe even a 55t (32 mm bigger than the 46t) for non-MTBing stuff like crusing.
    Last edited by BlackSheep01; 06-08-2012 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    There is a problem with some of these, that is why an upgraded fastener kit exists. If you do have issues it is a known warranty issue that is quite easily addressed.
    Such a kit doesn't exist. Trek part number?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ok,,, here is one I haven't seen on here. I really like my sawyer and the way it rides, but was wondering if anyone has ever put "cruiser" style handlebars on one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tundra277 View Post
    Ok,,, here is one I haven't seen on here. I really like my sawyer and the way it rides, but was wondering if anyone has ever put "cruiser" style handlebars on one?
    I've got a surly "open bar" on it.

I'm not sure if that's what you call a cruiser bar, but it rides/looks sweet imo.

it's 4130, and i think the bar's curves go well with the frame.

if you want, i can post a pic tomorrow
    Last edited by derbert; 06-22-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Singleton
    Like this one?..

Quote Originally Posted by steelspoke View Post
    Sawyer

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am thinking of swapping out my stock handlebars for a "beach cruiser" look handlebar so any pic's and feedback would be appreciative. Wheelie, your photo didn't come through.

Singleton
    I am thinking of swapping out my stock handlebars for a "beach cruiser" look handlebar so any pic's and feedback would be appreciative. Wheelie, your photo didn't come through.
    Hi tundra,

Please see post no. 468

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/tr...ml#post8823266

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by derbert View Post
    I've got a surly "open bar" on it.

I'm not sure if that's what you call a cruiser bar, but it rides/looks sweet imo.

it's 4130, and i think the bar's curves go well with the frame.

if you want, i can post a pic tomorrow

I'd like to see the pic.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A few pics of my sawyer build:

gates center track (46 / 28)
    crank bros mallet pedals
    odi rogue grips
    brooks b17 narrow saddle
    tubeless conversion
    custom jen green headbadge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-sawyer1.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-sawyer3.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-sawyer4.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-sawyer2.jpg  

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    sawyers look SO right with a brooks...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am happy with the Brooks - very comfortable. I do think I need a layback post however to move it back a bit. The rails on the Brooks don't give a lot of room for adjustment.

b a n n e d

I'm in . . .

Just bought 2011 Sawyer . . . brand new complete bike for $800 on clearance blowout. I've wanted one for a long time, but never could make it happen. Well, no more. It's completely stock (you know what it looks like, so no pic) and will be probably live a life on the pavement and beach path. I've already got plans for an Alfine belt drive though, and if I found a killer deal on a suspension fork, well you never know!

Can someone give me some tips on how to adjust the dropouts though? The rear wheel is off center.

Also, where do I get info on converting to belt drive? Do I need to get a different rear hub, or will the stock hub take a rear belt cog?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Just bought 2011 Sawyer . . . brand new complete bike for $800 on clearance blowout. I've wanted one for a long time, but never could make it happen. Well, no more. It's completely stock (you know what it looks like, so no pic) and will be probably live a life on the pavement and beach path. I've already got plans for an Alfine belt drive though, and if I found a killer deal on a suspension fork, well you never know!

Can someone give me some tips on how to adjust the dropouts though? The rear wheel is off center.

Also, where do I get info on converting to belt drive? Do I need to get a different rear hub, or will the stock hub take a rear belt cog?
    That's a good deal. I got mine for $1100 out the door in Rancho Cucamonga.
    What shop did you pick yours up at?

b a n n e d
    Helen's Cycles 4th of July sale.

b a n n e d
    Anyone got a torque spec on the dropout adjustment?

I've dialed in the cockpit and am really, really happy with this bike. i think we're going to get along great for a long time to come.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I doubt anyone has the torque spec but grease everything and 7nM should be fine.

mtbr member
    Here's my Sawyer along with my cruiser back when I first got it. I been wanting to take the cruiser bars off and put on the sawyer just see how it looks. When I get some time next week I'll do it and take some pics. I will be working on making it 1X9 anyway. Then I plan on 8 or 11 spd Alfine later on.

mtbr member
    How it looks now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    How it looks now.

Which Brooks saddle is that?

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by drew2388 View Post
    Looks like a flyer, I have one on my sawyer

has anyone done drop bars on thier sawyer yet? pics?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Blue Sawyer

I realized today that I never posted pics of my build once finished. I've been able to ride it for a couple months now and really love it. It's tough to catch the true color of the bike in a photo. It has a lot more metal flake than shows up, but here's a couple shots.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyA View Post
    I realized today that I never posted pics of my build once finished. I've been able to ride it for a couple months now and really love it. It's tough to catch the true color of the bike in a photo. It has a lot more metal flake than shows up, but here's a couple shots.

Very nice, it looks like a Hi Tech Klunker. Is the fork from a G2 bike?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

b a n n e d
    Anyone running a short stem on their swayer? The stock 100mm is just too long for me. I want something like 60-70mm. How's that going to affect a G2 bike? Been loooong time since I've had one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks guys! Yes, it's a G2 fork. It was a new takeoff from a Cobia, IIRC. I love the way the bike handles and it just eats up the downhill sections. When climbing it seems to pick up the front just slightly, but take that for what it's worth as I'm a very novice rider. I also have the stock fork that I may throw on there sometime just to see how it feels going full rigid. I had it powder coated white to match the Fox.

Singleton
    Looks like a flyer, I have one on my sawyer

has anyone done drop bars on thier sawyer yet? pics?
    yep same question here. I just put the 11 speed IGH on my sawyer as part of touring bike conversion. I'm toying with the idea of using drop bars on the bike but I'm a bit doubtful if the Versa 11 shifter wil work on the Alfine.

if anyone here knows, please help out. thanks!
    Last edited by wheeliam; 07-18-2012 at 12:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yep same question here. I just put the 11 speed IGH on my sawyer as part of touring bike conversion. I'm toying with the idea of using drop bars on the bike but I'm a bit doubtful if the Versa 11 shifter wil work on the Alfine.

if anyone here knows, please help out. thanks!
    Shimano is releasing a DI2 lever set for Alfine in the coming months. I'm not sure if there will be a specific DI2 hub though or if there is a solenoid that mounts to a regular Alfine 11.

Singleton
    Anyone running a short stem on their swayer? The stock 100mm is just too long for me. I want something like 60-70mm. How's that going to affect a G2 bike? Been loooong time since I've had one.
    been using 50mm thomson stem for a year now (got short reach). i think the longer stem has maneuvering/cornering advantage over the shorter ones, be it G2 or non G2's.

It's something very individual though.

Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Shimano is releasing a DI2 lever set for Alfine in the coming months. I'm not sure if there will be a specific DI2 hub though or if there is a solenoid that mounts to a regular Alfine 11.
    Thanks GTR-33! indeed shimano's Di2 is one sweet cycling industry breakthrough. but 2013 is too faaar! arrgh.

Lord Thunderbottom
    so I have a night shift in an urban 24hr ride this weekend

did something a little crazy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-2012-07-25-20.08.29.jpg  

mtbr member
    Look at the size of that seat clamp.

J/K. Looks rad. :tron emoticon

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Look at the size of that seat clamp.
    heh, yeah that's a clamp for this Bicycle Trailer | Weehoo Bicycle Trailer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drew2388 View Post
    It's a B67. I swapped the springs out on a flyer that's on my Kona.

Lord Thunderbottom
    has anyone had any phantom shifting issues?

if I apply too much torque from a stop sign mine has been jumping like crazy, put me on my ass once this weekend as it dropped the chain off the front ring due to the rear shifting to the smaller cog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyA View Post

That is killer!

Amabubpensie
    I have difficulties sourcing a 2012 Sawyer 17.5" here in South Africa from local distributors and dealers. Information on anyone I can perhaps get in contact with who does have stock will be greatly appreciated.
    You guys are really lucky to own one of these beautiful machines!

mtbr member
    Looks like the Sawyer will be left off the roster for the 2013 line-up.

Bummer, get em while you can.

Amabubpensie
    I have a friend who visits the states regularly, if you see a 2012 Sawyer 17.5" or know of one sitting in a bike shop somewhere, a warehouse or somewhere in a darkNdusty room, please mail me. I know of only one in in South Africa which is the 2011 model.

Sorry, can't post a pic, my post count is less than 10

Ooo, I see I can attach it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-photo.jpg  

Amabubpensie
    To get information from distributors, bike shop and Trek themselves is like having your wisdom tooth removed without anesthetic!

mtbr member
    It seems they still have all sizes in the warehouse. Atlanta Cycling has it listed as in warehouse. I had a store near New Orleans order me a 2011 matching there listed price back in March.
    Trek Sawyer (Gary Fisher Collection) - Atlanta's Cycling Headquarters - Road, Mountain, and Triathlon

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by speek View Post
    To get information from distributors, bike shop and Trek themselves is like having your wisdom tooth removed without anesthetic!
    Helen's Cycles in Southern California has several. I just bought one for $800.

Amabubpensie
    Awesome! I will follow up. Thanks for the help.

Singleton

the road bike wanna-be :p

I've replaced the Big Apples with 700x28c Panaracer RiBMo. not as comfortable as BA but rolls faster than the former.

would use a dropbar once the Shimano STI levers for Alfine 11 becomes available

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Titan, I've had phantom shifting issues, too. They were especially bad when I was running the bike as a singlespeed and the chain kept falling off. All I can figure is that the chainstays on the bike are exceptionally flexy.

mtbr member
    I borrowed a Sawyer and took it on a 40km ride of trails and road. It's definitely heavy, and slow to accelerate, but once you're up to speed its amazing! Feels almost like a motorcycle. I did a lot of hill bombing on the road, it seems like that's what its made for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Bought a 2012 21-Inch

I heard that the Sawyer was not being produced for 2013, so I went-ahead and ordered one. I really didn't want to spend that kind of cash sight-unseen, but the thing looks so darn good in the pictures and most of the posts on this forum are positive. A week later, I received my bronze 21-inch-frame $1400 bicycle.

My first impression was that it looked awful small for a 29er. It looks like a 26er next to my Wahoo. Also, I had asked for a flat grey one, but it came in bronze, which was actually a pleasant surprise. They ain't making no more, so I'll take what I can get.

I hefted it, and was surprised that it weighed so little. I had heard all kinds of speculative horror about the steel frame, but it just wasn't that bad at all. If you're the type to count ounces, it might actually be heavy. But I weigh 225Lbs. and the bike's weight seems negligible. It must be within a pound or two of my Wahoo, so it's acceptable. It's noticeably heavier than my fifteen-year-old old Cannondale M400 solid-suspension, aluminum-frame job.

The bike is gorgeous. It's really just stunning. Dark grey-bronze with bronze fittings all over the place. This is definitely one to hang on the wall between rides, not hide in the garage or shed. Those fat Bontragers with the tall sidewalls are the coolest tires I've owned since I bought my Harley Sportster (yeah, I guess I tend to select form over function). The contrasting shades of bronze and the black accents make this thing into a liquid-metal Terminator beauty.

I had the dealer replace the Prestos with Schraders, install thorn-resistant tubes, and slime the hell outta the tubes. I also ordered a quick-release for the seat. The frame has two sets (four) braze-ons/attachments/whatever. The pedals are typically Trek-tiny. There are a few too many stickers on the frame, polluting the dynamite aesthetics.

I'll probably play-around with the position of the bars, or maybe replace them. I also think I'll install a third, larger sprocket in the front. I ride on the street an awful lot. Just like Nordic skiing is a way for Swedish businessmen to get to work, MTB is a way to get around New Mexico, not something you drive 400 miles to do for the weekend.

Riding it on the street is a little disappointing. With two tiny sprockets in the front and ten in the back, you really need to build some revs to achieve any speed. Sorry I don't have the exact sprocket-sizes handy. I had to force it to wheelie, that front rim acted glued to the pavement. This may also have been an effect of the low position of the bars.

On a typical New Mexico gravel road, the bike soared. I lowered the seat a little below the standard recommendation and just slammed down a dirt road for about ten miles. No squeaks, no flexing, just solid transfer of my pumping power into motion.

I dislike the shifter, just 'cause I have two handles on each side, and one upshifts and the other downshifts and the big one upshifts on one side and downshifts on the other and -- man, it's just not instinctual/obvious/whatever.

The brakes never once grabbed, they just rolled me to a stop, smoothly and silently. Like most bikes, the seat is a little too small. I don't know why these things are so tiny. Even teeny little 90-pound women complain about them. For whom the hell are they designing those things?

One thing that kinda threw me was the lack of any owner's manual, warranty card, specification sheet, anything. I dropped-by the dealer's and asked about it, they gave me a handsome little folder with a CD, but it turned-out to be for the 2009 line of bikes. I would have thought Trek would at least hand-out one of those, "Tell us and the telemarketers all about yourself" cards. So I went online and registered.

So is it worth $1400. Buy it now or forget about it. I saw an ad online from Chicago for $800. anyway, I dunno. It's sweet to ride, but not incredible. It is incredibly beautiful, but I can't see it when I'm riding it. I really don't enjoy suspensions, so it's worth it for that. I guess it's like a beautiful, high-maintenance girlfriend; how much are you willing to spend to ride it?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    should be able to register the bike at treks web page... don't recall what all I got with mine but I registered it online
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi guys, I've had my Sawyer since July but still only a few shakedown rides on it.

Honestly I'm not happy with the bars. Might chop them a bit or go toward a straighter bend.

Can't post any pix yet.

http: // farm9.staticflickr.com/8157/7546538654_61812d26a3_z .jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    if any one cares...I've got one posted for sale. Why you ask???? At 6'2" the 19 incher is just a little small....A very cool bike for certain.

mtbr member
    I'm looking for a 21" Sawyer. If anyone tried one and is now ready to pass it on, let me know.

banned
    Sep 2012
    inspired by space frames, no?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    suposed to be more a tribute to the original fisher klunkers that they built back in the 70's using old classic schwinns and such... they sold a "klunker" bike in the mid 90's durring MTB hayday... the sawyer was just sort of another tribute in 29er format

- Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

b a n n e d
    I love that the pic is taken in an attic

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    haha didn't even notice... was just the first I found on google
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Amabubpensie
    The Bicycle Company, distributors for Trek in South Africa, was able to source me a 2012 Sawyer which I believe is the only one SA was able to get.Happy to report that it's mine mine mine mine

I fitted the Gates CenterTrack and someone mentioned on thehubsa.co.za - Cycling forums and bicycle classifieds that the belt drive does not generate the same torque and power transfer as a chain. I'm no engineer or expert, but out of interest sake is this true?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-img_2779.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-img_2777.jpg  

b a n n e d
    TI fitted the Gates CenterTrack and someone mentioned on thehubsa.co.za - Cycling forums and bicycle classifieds that the belt drive does not generate the same torque and power transfer as a chain. I'm no engineer or expert, but out of interest sake is this true?
    I'm not an expert in belt drives, but this would imply that the belt stretches in response to applied torque, which I do not believe to be the case. I've never heard that before. Ask the guys at Gate's . . . they are super helpful.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    still so dig the 2012 gold paint ... looks good man...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Just Ride!
    I fitted the Gates CenterTrack and someone mentioned on thehubsa.co.za - Cycling forums and bicycle classifieds that the belt drive does not generate the same torque and power transfer as a chain. I'm no engineer or expert, but out of interest sake is this true?
    It can't be too shabby if it is used on the Singlespeed Stage Race World Championship winning bike!

Harmonius Wrench
    I'm not an expert in belt drives, but this would imply that the belt stretches in response to applied torque, ........
    Gates belts have carbon strands embedded in them to help prevent stretching. If I recall correctly, each Center Track belt has six continous strands in the belt. This is why you have to be careful handling a belt when it is off the bike.

My understanding is that since the belt has these carbon strands, it is nearly a stretch free belt. However; you can flex the "teeth" a bit, and perhaps some people are feeling this. On the one I have, it feels very solid feling at the pedals and there is no hint of "stretch" of any kind.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Just Ride!
    Any idea if the Sawyer has the clearance to run a 42T or 46T Gates CenterTrack on the front? I am really intrigued by this bike and the future possibility of running an Alfine 11 Di2 on it. Also, if anyone has feedback on this bike as a do all Adventure/Gravel bike, I certainly would appreciate the insight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Any idea if the Sawyer has the clearance to run a 42T or 46T Gates CenterTrack on the front? I am really intrigued by this bike and the future possibility of running an Alfine 11 Di2 on it. Also, if anyone has feedback on this bike as a do all Adventure/Gravel bike, I certainly would appreciate the insight.
    46T is no Problem, but only with CenterTrack (the old system is wider)
    I'm running it with a 20T cog on the back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey guys, any suggestions on alternative handlebars? Guess I could go with regular risers, just wondering what if anything others have swapped out.

The stock bars are ok but too wide for my taste and I'd like to have more hand positions ( I do a lot of gravel / fire road riding).

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by fatoldaggie View Post
    Hey guys, any suggestions on alternative handlebars? Guess I could go with regular risers, just wondering what if anything others have swapped out.

The stock bars are ok but too wide for my taste and I'd like to have more hand positions ( I do a lot of gravel / fire road riding).
    I do a lot of road riding with mine as well, I find the crivitz bars to be more comfortable than normal risers but I do have some tingling in my hands at times, I just installed some new ergon grips to see how that goes

I also have a set of bar ends installed to the inside of the brake levers which gives me a far forward position that I use occasionally, I would use it more if it was a fuzz wider, I have not tried putting the bar ends inside of the shifters and brakes, I have big hands so maybe that's an option

I think trekking bars would be a good option as well and may look good on the sawyer wrapped in some leather colored tape

Singleton
    try the Titec H-bar, kinda heavy but it'l give you plenty of hand positions.

mtbr member
    I thought the Crivitz were alright but knew I would like what I had on my Kona hybrid better. Found these Metropolis in black and had to get em. I think the Crivitz are 25 degree and Metropolis is 45 degree plus you can move your hands closer toward the center. I've seen a couple of pics of them flipped for going low.

mtbr member
    I am a big fan of the J-bar !

Singleton
    Tunalic, that Metrolpolis bar looks sweet and sexy!

@biss-ness, me too!

mtbr member
    Tunalic, that Metrolpolis bar looks sweet and sexy!

@biss-ness, me too!

It sure is comfy too! I didn't think it would make that much difference but I feel so much better riding that bike now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Surly Open Bars

have a look at surlybikes.com/parts/open_bar

(sry, i can't post links or images)

very comfy, and they're 4130 CrMo (as the sawywer is)

they are available flat as well as with a 40 mm rise/drop
    Last edited by derbert; 09-28-2012 at 02:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's an interesting example.... I can't claim this as mine, but it belongs to a buddy of mine that owns my LBS... He built it up as interesting as possible and just uses it to run errands .. Custom powder coated, belt drive, internally geared rear hub, Chris King, Thomson, Custom colored Stan's rim graphics, etc.. He doesn't half ass anything...

I had been waiting to snap a pic and figured I would share.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Diesel8810;9733244]Here's an interesting example.... I can't claim this as mine, but it belongs to a buddy of mine that owns my LBS... He built it up as interesting as possible and just uses it to run errands .. Custom powder coated, belt drive, internally geared rear hub, Chris King, Thomson, Custom colored Stan's rim graphics, etc.. He doesn't half ass anything...

Enjoy!

That is the sportiest one I've seen yet. Can ask your buddy why he ran his gear cable down under the bottom bracket? I will be installing 11 spd alfine soon & would like to run that cable up the seat stay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here's mine...

Outside the Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel8810 View Post

What hub is that in the front? Is it centerlock or 6 bolt?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    What hub is that in the front? Is it centerlock or 6 bolt?
    King 6 bolt I believe..

Lord Thunderbottom
    Does anyone here run a cadence/speed sensor on their sawyer?

the chainstay is so close to the crank that the magnet on the back of the crank arm doesn't clear

I have not tried placing the magnet on the side of the crank arm, not sure if it will work with the magnets perpendicular to each other but this may work as they are very close together anyways

any other ideas besides making a bracket of some sort?
    Last edited by TitanofChaos; 10-25-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i'd lean towards magnet on the side of the crankarm... as long as the magnet is strong enough to give a signal it should work
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member

the chainstay is so close to the crank that the magnet on the back of the crank arm doesn't clear

I have not tried placing the magnet on the side of the crank arm, not sure if it will work with the magnets perpendicular to each other but this may work as they are very close together anyways

If you have a steel pedal spindle, you can insert a rare earth magnet inside.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    clever...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member

Drop Bar Sawyer

I picked up a Sawyer with the intentions of using it as a commuter. Many zip ties were harmed in the mounting of the fenders. Next up is to figure out how to fit a rack to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-photo.jpg  

Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    I picked up a Sawyer with the intentions of using it as a commuter. Many zip ties were harmed in the mounting of the fenders. Next up is to figure out how to fit a rack to it.
    Finally a drop bar sawyer, HOT! How's it ride in the drops?

so yeah, this can work, but don't trust your LBS to have centered your rear wheel in the frame, that's why it didn't fit, tire was hugging the non-drive chainstay

I did however have to move it as far towards the bracket as the speed sensor would allow to clear the chainstay, good thing the stock crank arm has a hollow back to recess the cadence magnet into

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    But that has too be one long cockpit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    But that has too be one long cockpit
    I generally ride on the hoods or the tops. length feels very close to my old surly cross check

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    here are a few pictures of my urban setup

Trek Sawyer-uploadfromtaptalk1351274412613.jpg

Trek Sawyer-uploadfromtaptalk1351274432693.jpg

Trek Sawyer-uploadfromtaptalk1351274468823.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-uploadfromtaptalk1351274489359.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    led seatpost, king pewter sotto voce headset.

Trek Sawyer-uploadfromtaptalk1351275352112.jpg

Trek Sawyer-uploadfromtaptalk1351275381166.jpg

still work in progress, break hoses need to be shortened. I'd also like to replace the saddle with a black Gilles Berthoud, as it is less obvious and therefore less prone to be stolen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derbert View Post
    led seatpost, king pewter sotto voce headset.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351275352112.jpg 
Views:	1106 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	733388

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351275381166.jpg 
Views:	2185 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	733389

still work in progress, break hoses need to be shortened. I'd also like to replace the saddle with a black Gilles Berthoud, as it is less obvious and therefore less prone to be stolen.
    What tires are you running?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Derbert, very nice job. What pedals are those?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Shagmore View Post
    Derbert, very nice job. What pedals are those?
    Pedals I believe are Ergon's . . . .

What I'm interested in is that bar!

Nice set up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    tires: Big Apple 2.35
    pedals: Ergon PC2 Evo
    bar: Surly Open Bar

the stem could be a tad shorter, maybe 50mm.

I don't know what it is, but as soon as I'm riding it, I've got a grin on my face

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

Lord Thunderbottom
    Working on a winter project here....

What's the fattest tire anyone has run on the rear of their sawyer?

for me it's a bontrager FR3 2.35 but I want something with more volume even if I have to slide the dropouts most of the way back

mtbr member
    2.35 hans dampfs on salsa gordos, sliders are set somewhere in the middle.

Front:

Rear:

mtbr member
    Working on a winter project here....

What's the fattest tire anyone has run on the rear of their sawyer?

for me it's a bontrager FR3 2.35 but I want something with more volume even if I have to slide the dropouts most of the way back
    2.55 WTB Weirwolfs on Velocity P35s. They're not on there now so I can't take a picture and I don't remember where the sliders were positioned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    2.4 inch Racing Ralphs, Sliders in the middle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Fairly porky 28lb build but I am enjoying her so far, really not a fan of the Continental's though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-615675_293177334115777_1297982490_o.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-622241_10151191445482453_270370332_o.jpg  

Lord Thunderbottom
    now with 1/2 the fat

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    sure is small for a fat ;-) (says the guy with an 80mm rim and BFL tire lol)

looks awesome man
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    now with 1/2 the fat
    Very cool... what kind of reflecto-tape is that?

Lord Thunderbottom
    Very cool... what kind of reflecto-tape is that?
    Basic 3M reflective vinyl, it came in a sheet and I cut into strips last summer for a 24hr city race, I was going to take it off but it kinda grew on me since it's not always that shiny, as it gets tore up I'll take it off

mtbr member
    Installed Alfine 11 speed this week...enjoying a few test rides!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

46T Front

Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    I run a 46T x 28T Gates arrangement...Perfect for my local trails...Rolls at about 15mph at 90 rpms on my way to the trails.

Tons of ground clearance with the 46T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    I wish I never looked at this thread.
    I have major lust for a Retrotec classic now
    word

Lord Thunderbottom
    Anyone here having any issues with frame flex?

I've recently gone to single speed on mine, the chainline is dead on

I have to tension the chain to the point that it's tough to spin when I'm not on the bike to keep the chain from falling off the cog

keep in mind I'm a portly fellow at 260ish lbs

I'm running 35x20 right now so plenty of chain engagement

mtbr member
    Running 32x19T here at 225#s with no issues. Maybe a switch to a 1/2" chain conversion?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey I have a 2012 frame and fork with bonus headset, bars,seatpost, and stem for sell if anyone wants the bronze setup.

Singleton
    I missed this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just went through the entire Sawyer thread here... They only made this bike for '11 & '12, correct? I picked up a '12 recently, but really haven't had a chance to get it out much yet... hoping to do so soon. I did convert it to S/S. As it's not my only bike, and I didn't need it to be my "do everything" bike, to me S/S was the only way to go... I'm definitely digging the classic color scheme of my '12. The gold accents go well with the rootbeer'ish metal-flake paint. I plan to re-lace the gold rims to some nicer hubs... maybe gunmetal grey Hopes... anyway... looking forward to getting some dirt on her! Nice rides on here guys! Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPJIMMY71 View Post
    Just went through the entire Sawyer thread here... They only made this bike for '11 & '12, correct? I picked up a '12 recently, but really haven't had a chance to get it out much yet... hoping to do so soon. I did convert it to S/S. As it's not my only bike, and I didn't need it to be my "do everything" bike, to me S/S was the only way to go... I'm definitely digging the classic color scheme of my '12. The gold accents go well with the rootbeer'ish metal-flake paint. I plan to re-lace the gold rims to some nicer hubs... maybe gunmetal grey Hopes... anyway... looking forward to getting some dirt on her! Nice rides on here guys! Cheers!
    Make her a belt drive with gates center track and a Niner carbon fork. I made those 2 changes oh...and tubeless Racing Ralph 2.4 tires. Best machine for single track in SE Wisconsin I've ridden yet.

mtbr member

New to Thread/New Sawyer

I found a 2011 closeout at $599 at a local shop, I offered 500cash on the spot, we settled at $529 (his cost i think) and i took the Sawyer home. This was after just buying a Scratch 9 earlier in the season, but i couldn't pass up the deal on this beauty and my first 29er.

So far I've put Racelite riserbars on then switched back to the crivitz due to some weird numbness. Got some Time X-Roc pedals on. And this winter i've gone to a raceface 34t single on the front to ditch the derailleur and installed Aligator wind-cutter rotors.

I'll post some more pics when it finally stops raining.

Awesome Thread!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-189674_10151146851458915_118909041_n.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-580240_10151109223463915_2099559546_n.jpg  

Last edited by sp33dwagon; 01-11-2013 at 09:05 PM.

mtbr member
    I've been following this thread for a long time and actually had money at a LBS to hold a Sawyer for me, then things changed and I went a different direction. Now I'm back on with a new plan and I need to pick up a Sawyer to make my plan work.

Does anyone have a 21" Sawyer, frame or whole bike, they want to sell?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ^ TommyA - try flipping your stem (negative rise)... you very well may find that it helps keep your front tire on the ground better on the climbs... it's a free fix if it works, so you've got nothing to lose! BTW - GREAT looking bike!
    Last edited by TOPJIMMY71; 01-25-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: (typo)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey Gurus, has anyone had issues with the drive side crank touching the chainstay on their sawyer? and if so what did you do to fix it?

????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-599426_10151274732254919_1090774122_n.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-522987_10151274730479919_688030954_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Alfine + gates

My LBS told me that an Alfine hub and a Gates drive cannot be done due to the fact that the chain-line will not be straight.

However, Ive seen in done in pics. Anyone have experience?

mtbr member

Good Rigid Fork Option

Thought I'd post about a fork option I recently tried. OSbikes has a 475mm / 51mm offset chromo fork they sell. That's almost identical to the Sawyer fork geometry (I measured the stock fork at 472mm long and Trek claims an offset of 51mm as well). The OSbikes fork is a curved design and is thinner and lighter than the stock fork. I took a quick spin on pavement and I can say it definitely rides nicer than the stock fork. I always felt like this bike had a great ride, but even with my 2.35" Tubeless Big Apple tires I always felt like the fork was too harsh and didn't match the ride characteristics of the rest of the bike. This fork solves that in a hurry.

Aesthetically I think it's a good match to the Sawyer. The OSbikes fork comes with a cool three-color paint job that doesn't so much match the Sawyer... so I got some paint that is close and re-shot the fork. The camera flash makes the color match look worse than it is. In person it looks pretty good. Once I get a good coat of dust and dirt on it I'm sure it'll be fine. The only thing this fork doesn't have that the Sawyer fork has is fender mounts. I'll figure out a way around that and post pics back up when I get the fender on.

This is not only a good option for this bike but for anyone running a Gary Fisher offset bike that wants to go rigid. It is the only stock fork I'm aware of with the 51mm offset. Also note this fork is available in 455 and 445 mm lenghts as well... but the 475mm is obviously the closest to the stock dimensions. Here are some pics:

Trek Sawyer-sawyerfork1.jpgTrek Sawyer-sawyerfork2.jpgTrek Sawyer-sawyerfork3.jpgTrek Sawyer-sawyerfork4.jpg

mtbr member
    Looking to get some perspective from current or previous owners of the Sawyer.

One of my LBS currently have a new, old stock 2011 Sawyer available. They have it currently listed at a shade over $800. For those who have owned one of these, would this figure be a bit more than what you'd be willing to pay for a bike that's two model years old by now? If so, what would you be comfortable purchasing this bike at?

I'm intrigued by this bike given the different set-ups it would allow me but at it's current price point here I don't know if I can justify paying slightly less over going with a new '13 Kona Unit from my go-to LBS. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I paid a tad more than that out the door around 4 months ago. The frame obviously is what makes the bike desireable. Go for it, I really enjoy my Sawyer. With a seat bag and two water bottles it's a tank , but handles nicely on the trail. I've changed out most of the components to suit my needs.

mtbr member
    Ended up pulling the trigger on it. Walked out of the store with it for even less than I thought. Love the potential for versatility on this bike. Have a few things already on the way for it to be a 1x9 as well as a single speed. Can't wait to get more time on the saddle in it. Quick pictures of immediately taking it out of the truck from the LBS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Guys,
    We all knew the Sawyer is a cool frame. Check out the fitment of the new Knard 3.0 tire. Just picked up for another frame I am building. Thought I'd try on the Sawyer. There is clearance. But these are stock wheels. I'm building up Blunt 35's this next week... Well see if they still maintain clearance.

This would be awesome if it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-image.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-image.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What about fork clearance?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Akita man View Post
    Guys,
    We all knew the Sawyer is a cool frame. Check out the fitment of the new Knard 3.0 tire. Just picked up for another frame I am building. Thought I'd try on the Sawyer. There is clearance. But these are stock wheels. I'm building up Blunt 35's this next week... Well see if they still maintain clearance.

This would be awesome if it works.
    thats freaking awesome... how tall is that wheel/tire combo compared to a more typical 29er? bet it weighs less than my fat sheba/big fat larry combo up front
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Just ride.

Re: Trek Sawyer

I just wedged Knards onto mine, front & rear. Gotta slide the rear dropouts all the way back.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothar Othp View Post
    I just wedged Knards onto mine, front & rear. Gotta slide the rear dropouts all the way back.

what rims (how wide?)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Just ride.

On the stock Dusters.

Lord Thunderbottom
    What's the drive train setup with the 3.0 knards? any chain rub?

Just ride.

I'll put more info/pics up soon from my pc. I honestly haven't logged into mtbr for several years & only very recently began following threads on my smartphone..so bear with me. Typing this on a phone sucks.

We mocked up the setup yeasterday & got it to fit, which I wanted to verify before I threw down the money for the tires. I'll bring the bike home tonight to finish setting it up, take a shakedown ride & get pics.

The chain rubs the tire on the little ring & top 4 cogs. I'll probably just run it 1x9, or just be very conscious of my gear selection. I also need to do a minor reroute on the front brake line. And, like I said above, you need to slide the rear dropouts all the way back.

Stay tuned.

Lord Thunderbottom
    my interest is peaked, I run mine 1x9-10 or SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Are you running a Fox suspension fork instead of the stock rigid fork? I tried a Knard on a P35 rim and it didn't fit the stock fork due to the welded-on fork brace (I suppose one could cut/grind the brace off but I'm not sure what it would do to the structural integrity of the fork).

Just ride.

Crappy cell phone pic of the Knards mounted up front & rear.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-uploadfromtaptalk1361215313502.jpg  

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    impressive... I know that on the surly blog about the krampus they talked about running the bike as a 1x10 to prevent the chain rubbing the tire... if you want a 2x or 3x they said you can deal with minor chain rub or you can remove a gear or two from the cassette (when is the last time you used the 44-11 combo in the woods?)

I suppose you could also go the super kewl route of running a cut down cassette on a SS wheel like Jones does on his bikes... but that is not an inexpensive proposition
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    oh another question... you said you have to put the drop outs all the way back, is this because of the front der? or to fit the stays?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Just ride.

The tire hits the seat stays if you don't move the dropout back.

Just ride.

Knards, final setup

OK, got the bike home today for the final setup with the Surly Knards. These are the stock Duster rims. I pulled the front derailler/shifter and made it 1x9. I also rerouted the front brake line. The front fits like a charm (once you reroute the hose up the back of the fork and not thru the arch).

The rear clearance is very finicky, for several reasons. (1) Air pressure. Too much pressure and it doesn't fit. I was running 10-15 psi when I set this up. So, this is probably a low pressure/snow setup. (The clearance is so tight that I don't think it will tolerate mud well anyway). I am running tubes. It's too cold up here to mess with Stans right now. I may try tubeless in the spring. (2) Big fat tires are not perfectly round. Put a big fat tire on a perfectly trued skinny rim and you will have hops and bobbles from the tire itself. I actually trued the rim a little bit to the tire while on the bike to pull out the big rubs. The tire had a lot of side to side slop.

The shakedown ride. It's raining so I didn't ride far and this was on the road. It works. There is occasionally a hint of rub on the rear. Nothing major, kind of like the occasional disc brake rub. If that kind of thing bugs you then this isn't for you. As the outside knobs wear I'm sure this will disappear. Good enough for me. I'm satisfied.

If I'm motivated I may find a local frame-builder to see what I can do for a little more tire clearance on the seat stay. If you could somehow put a small dent on the inside of the seat stays (kind of like the indent on the inside of the chainstays) you'd be golden.

I can't wait for a real ride in the snow, maybe later this week.

Sorry the pics aren't better. My garage isn't that well lit and the flash really made the pics worse.

Name:  Fat%u00252520Sawyer-1.jpg
Views: 2433
Size:  47.6 KB
    Name:  Fat%u00252520Sawyer-3.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  36.9 KB
    Name:  Fat%u00252520Sawyer-4.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  32.6 KB
    Name:  Fat%u00252520Sawyer-5.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  35.8 KB
    Name:  Fat%u00252520Sawyer-7.jpg
Views: 2189
Size:  27.2 KB
    Name:  Fat%u00252520Sawyer-10.jpg
Views: 2158
Size:  27.6 KB
    Name:  Fat%u00252520Sawyer-15.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  30.4 KB
    Name:  Fat%u00252520Sawyer-16.jpg
Views: 2152
Size:  25.2 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Plenty of Clearance with the fork. About 3/8" at the top brace which is the tightest. This is mounted on 35MM Blunts. Widens the tire about an 1/8" over the stock Dusters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I mounted the Knards on a set of 35MM Blunts. I find also the seat stays are the issue not the chain stays. Seems to be adequate clearance there.

I am taking the cast aluminum drop outs to a machine shop to see if they can remake these pieces basically 1/2" longer and 1/4" lower...and hopefully more roubust...these things are cheaply made.

If I get them done and properly working...there may be a bunch of sawyer owners interested.

With these mods... the rear tire should fit swimmingly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There must be quite a bit of variation with where the brace is welded on the stock Sawyer forks. I tried a 27tpi Knard on a Velocity P35 and the tire was too tall to even get the axle into the fork dropouts. Glad it works for some people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    There must be quite a bit of variation with where the brace is welded on the stock Sawyer forks. I tried a 27tpi Knard on a Velocity P35 and the tire was too tall to even get the axle into the fork dropouts. Glad it works for some people.
    Made in Taiwan...need I say more?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothar Othp View Post
    If I'm motivated I may find a local frame-builder to see what I can do for a little more tire clearance on the seat stay. If you could somehow put a small dent on the inside of the seat stays (kind of like the indent on the inside of the chainstays) you'd be golden.
    Your Sawyer looks great! I made a mistake not getting one when I had the chance. FWIW, I had a local builder indent the inside of my chain stays on an old GF Ferrous. He used a giant ball bearing, a special C-Clamp, and some rubber to protect the frame. He did a nice job not chipping the paint, but the drop outs got pinched and made changing the rear wheel tough. Overall tire clearance didn't increase that much. I was hoping for more.

If you don't mind my asking, what type of mud guard is that? I'm not very happy with my SKS Mud X. It's small and I don't like the mounting mechanism.

Enjoy your new Knards.

Just ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ppfeifer View Post

If you don't mind my asking, what type of mud guard is that? I'm not very happy with my SKS Mud X. It's small and I don't like the mounting mechanism.

Enjoy your new Knards.
    The brand is 'the'. I've had it for a long time.

mtbr member
    Thanks Lothar!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi all, the advice from everyone in this thread was a huge help when I was thinking about picking up a Sawyer last month. After months of riding this bike, I can honestly say it's one of my favorite bikes I've ever owned! I wrote a quick review and included some pics for those interested here: Trek Sawyer Review | Pro Bike Swap

Lord Thunderbottom
    Alright guys, who's gone with larger chain rings on their sawyer?

I was looking at touring bikes for commuting and really I just don't see a reason not to go for it with the sawyer, I have "skinny" tires for it already but what's the largest we can go on the chainrings?

I have a 35T running on the frame side of the outer mount of the stock crank from when it was 1x9 and that's pretty tight, the chainline doesn't look like anything can be run on the outside of the stock crank (wide-ish bottom bracket puts it pretty far out on the cassette in stock position)

so what do you commuters have set up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Lookey here!!! Knard on a Sawyer!!!

I had a set of much more HD drop outs made. 7075 aluminum. 0.5" set back moving the tire away from the seat stays. Perfect bolt on and sliding action.

Kiss my butt Krampus!!!

Any interest. I can have more made up now that tweaks are out. I can email you more pics if you need them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Sawyer-image.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-image.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-image.jpg  

Trek Sawyer-image.jpg  

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    sorry no specific size info... a standard 42 or 44 (can't recall which mine is) is fine...

as for the stock crankset... I know you've got a bash gaurd on it so you should be able to install a 3rd ring without to much of an issue (well that had been the case in the past at least) as they companies made the crankarms the same (they might forego drilling/tapping the holes for the granny on a SS)... but i'm sure someone with firsthand knowledge will chime in.

you certainly gave up some gearing in those small tires... i noticed the gearing differiance big time on the street when I went from a 29x2.1 (relatively low rolling resistance tire) to some 28c tires (or was it 32?) whatever... lol
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Just ride.

Count me in for the dropouts. I'll pm you when I get home. My setup has been finicky to the point I was going to go to a 2.4 in the rear (or build a Krampus around this $180 set of tires I have). Glad to see a better solution.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Interested in the dropouts, what is the measurement from the floor to the middle of the BB spindle now with the new dropouts and the Knard's mounted? About how much would a set run?

b a n n e d
    I'm curious, will the 3.0 tire work with a suspension fork (i.e., RS Reba?).

I'm interested in the dropouts as well, but it will depend on the compatibility with my fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There is a nice Fox setup a page or two back. Reba?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    There is a nice Fox setup a page or two back. Reba?
    With 3.0 tires? I know with regular tires, it will be fine . . . not sure how well the 3.0s will play though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Oh yeah, I'm thinking about the Krampus thread. Fox fork w/ 3.0 Knard

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Akita man View Post
    I had a set of much more HD drop outs made. 7075 aluminum. 0.5" set back moving the tire away from the seat stays. Perfect bolt on and sliding action.

Kiss my butt Krampus!!!

Any interest. I can have more made up now that tweaks are out. I can email you more pics if you need them.
    Do want! The Rig and Marlin SS have the same dropouts as the Sawyer. I also have a Rig with P35s that I can try these on.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 32