Trek Marlin vs. Specialized Rockhopper vs. Giant Talon 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Trek Marlin vs. Specialized Rockhopper vs. Giant Talon 29er

Happy Memorial Day Weekend 2018!
    I'm looking for advice on which of these entry hardtails. I realize there are many models within these three bikes, but I'm looking for value, quality and dependability. I do ride on and off road so, this bike will need to serve both. I've ridden some hybrids but they don't have the same sturdy feel to me. These three bikes seem to fit the bill. The only thing I know I want is HDB and not MDB, unless MDB have gotten much better. I haven't had a new bike since my Diamondback in 2011. I've ridden all three and seem to like all equally, but I'd like to hear what the experts have to say. I welcome any and all opinions!
    There is a local shop that has a 2018 Rockhopper Comp for $669 which seems like a great deal!

Moderator Moderator
    I have a marlin 7, great bike for the money if you have have a small budget like me. I know others can chime in but the trek will have some good on and off road posture, but it won’t take a beating for all mountain like a pro caliber would with upgraded fork and Derailer as well as other components.

I am not sure about the specilized or the giant but both should come close to the trek as they are all entry level.

Looking them up tells me little because it depends on if your getting the sport or comp from specilized or just the regular rockhopper and I think you can get multiple versions of the giant also.
    Randall Cooper on Flickr
    If you have a problem please feel free to PM me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Rockhopper Comp has an air fork. This makes it work for more challenging trails. 1 metal and 1 plastic bushing inside(forks get 2 metal at higher levels) with a sealed 'no maintenance required' damper you won't need to worry about. The minimum but will work. Also has Shimano hydraulic brakes.
    Everything else is the minimum to get by but usable. 21mm rims to 30-35mm inner dimension for better tire sidewall support would be my first upgrade.
    The Marlin 7 has a Rockshox coil spring fork that also works. The other components are a bit lower. Trek has a sale this weekend.
    The Talon has a worse bike path fork and low components so not a good value.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the input! It seems there are many different versions within each bike model. Like I said, I at least know I want Hydraulic Disc Brakes and the models I'm looking at all at least have that. Didn't realize Trek was having a sale when I went in last week. This won't be an all-mountain bike by any stretch. I just want something that has a sturdier feel than the hybrids I've ridden. Thanks again for all the feedback!

Moderator Moderator
    I would go with marlin 7. But I am bias.
    Randall Cooper on Flickr
    If you have a problem please feel free to PM me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My Trek bike shop is closed today, but they are open tomorrow and will have a 15% off sale! I'll check out the Marlin 7 as soon as they open up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Talk to the manager and offer cash to get 3% more off(the credit card charge). Also ask for 20% off anything they order for you going forward.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the tip EB!