• 03-31-2018
    haymaker
    trek fuel ex 7 getting the 27.5 wheelset
    Has anyone done it with their Trek 29er? And if so where did you get them, does it have to be an official Trek wheelset or will any 27.5 wheelset with boost and plus tires work?
  • 03-31-2018
    driver bob
    It'll make a low BB even lower, pedal strikes will be more of an issue as well.

It can take 27.5+ but 27.5 (I bet) wont be much fun.
  • 03-31-2018
    RAKC Ind
    No trek bike is that proprietary. You simply match hub spacing and axle style (12mm thru axle for the rear for example). When they very first came out boost was a Trek only thing, but thay was years ago. Like everything, one brand starts it and others as well as aftermarket companies follow shortly after.

27.5+ is limited clearance on the frame so you need to check the threads and see what tires will fit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • 04-01-2018
    haymaker
    @driver bob and @RAKC Ind

Thanks guys, good to know,

Was worried about, got my eye on used Trek EX 5 and very decent a 27.5+ wheelset , will doublecheck the tread width and pull the trigger if it looks good.
  • 04-01-2018
    driver bob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    @driver bob and @RAKC Ind

Thanks guys, good to know,

Was worried about, got my eye on used Trek EX 5 and very decent a 27.5+ wheelset , will doublecheck the tread width and pull the trigger if it looks good.

27.5+ and swap out the air shaft to get the fork to 140mm and you'll be golden.
  • 04-01-2018
    not2shabby
    27.5x3.0 fit fine and raise the BB a bit, helping with pedal strikes.
  • 07-18-2018
    shredjesse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    27.5x3.0 fit fine and raise the BB a bit, helping with pedal strikes.

Any specific tire?

I'm working to get all the pieces together to build out a 2017 Fuel EX 8 29er Frameset I got. Going with Rockshox pike 29 140mm 29er fork up front. Got a wheelset coming that is boost hubs with WTB Asym i35 rims (35mm internal rim width). Also got some WTB Trailboss 3.0 tires on a pro deal. Kind of jumped the gun on getting those as I am starting to see mixed results of people fitting 27.5x3.0 tires in these frames.
  • 07-18-2018
    not2shabby
    TB'S 3.0 fit fine. Had a set on my FEX 8 for a while. Heavy bastids though!