mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Trek Frame warranty Issues

So I recently broke my 2016 fuel ex 9 frame. Cracked right at the seat tube top tube junction. I brought it into the shop and they warrantied it no problem. My new frame came in and I said I would build it myself, move the parts etc. The bike shop gave me the line that building the frame would void my warranty on the new frame. So i emailed a contact that I had at Trek HQ and he talked to the warranty department and they said
    * If there is a clear manufacturing defect that causes a failure, it should be covered.
    * If there is an assembly error, compatibility error, etc. that causes or contributes to a failure, your warranty may be void.

So this makes it seem that I could in fact build my frame. I would of let the shop do it but they were trying to charge 250 dollars to build the bike and i built about 10 of the 2017 fuel models before when I was working as an intern at trek.

anyways, I decided to let the bike shop build the bike for convenience, and figured the 250 would cover their time for the warranty process. They seemed to not have a solid price So before the shop built the bike I said to call me with a more refined price, they did not. I called them after two days of waiting after the frame and all parts where there and they said the bike was ready. This was today. I go in to pick up the bike and they ring me up for 398 dollars. 150 more than they quoted. They tacked on 50 each for bleeding the rear brake and reverb (internal routing) and 42 for a bottom bracket which i thought was included in the 250 because i mentioned i wanted a new one and he said 250 to build it.

I just went ahead and payed them, just figured whatever its a new frame it will be perfect build

Defects ive found with the build so far:
    Derailuer not properly indexing ( Had to readjust for my ride tonight)
    Improper front brake routing, routed on the outside
    Stem bar clamp upside down , bontrager b upside down
    used a stem spacer thats a smaller od than the top cap, looks crappy, My bike 3 spacers that would work and the new frame came with spacers
    missing part of the cable routing system, downtube tie down piece

So i may be hypercritical but i feel like the gouged me on the price because they had me locked in with their fake "wavier". The receipt shows "pro bike build" and i feel like that would require a lot more attention to detail. The also didn't ask me to bleed the brakes and reverb which was 100 buck more and if they did i would of just done it myself because i have all the tools and fluid.

On another note, they kept my old top cap, made it myself on the lathe.

So im gonna go back in point out all of the issues and mention the things that im upset about. Should i ask for a refund on the bleeding since they didnt ask? should i ask for a discount on the build since it was kinda half-assed for a "Pro Level Build" are they in the wrong? any other opinions on this?

Thanks,

Sam

mtbr member
    Sounds like an issue with the shop, not Trek at least.

If there are things that you had not expected, I would bring it to their attention.
    As an HVAC contractor, I cannot just give a price estimate, then make it whatever I want ABOVE an estimate without verifying the homeowner WANTS me to do something.

I had a crack in my Farley frame in late 2015. The shop asked that I pay a $100 disassembly/reassembly fee. I did not mind that.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bummer.

My experiences with Trek warranty was close to 30 years ago for my road bike.

The fork cracked and had a clean break at a dropout while JRA. Brought it to a dealer (not the place I bought it from), and it was warrantied without change in a somewhat timely manner. When I went to pick it up, the new fork was installed and there was no charge. The guys just smiled and said something like, "Here you go, have fun!"

Later, the left rear dropout broke with a clean break between the dropout and the chainstay while JRA. This time, I brought it to another dealer near where I was going to university, also not the selling dealer. Either the shop or Trek dragged their feet on that one. I got a new a new frame without argument, but it took 3-4 months, by which time I had gone home over the summer and come back, and had switched sports to running. I had stripped the bike before leaving it, except for the headset and bottom bracket because I didn't have the tools. The replacement came with headset, and the shop threw on a bottom bracket from their spares bin when I pointed that out. I built that back up myself.

I don't know, so I'm speculating, but you'd think that for a legitimate warranty claim, Trek would be providing the dealer with some money to do the parts swap. My Toyota with over 150K miles at the time and otherwise out of warranty had an issue that was covered by an enhanced warranty for a known issue. I made an appointment with a random Toyota dealer, and they were glad to take care of the issue with no charge because of the reimbursement from Toyota. I know, different industry, but shouldn't the same principle apply? I'd be curious to hear if shops get compensation from manufacturers for warranty claims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You have a level of expertise that probably surpasses the guys at the shop for that bike.
    You. should have gone in and assisted with the build during an off time. Both parties would come out ahead and the charges would likely be lower.
    The build requires those bleeds. 250 would have included that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Trek should cover the reassembly build cost imho. It's no fault of yours that their frame cracked, so why would you have to pay for it?
    This continues to be a major flaw in the bicycle industry.

I would have built it myself before I paid a penny for a warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wouldn't have paid for the bleeds. You were quoted $250 to move everything over and the internal routing requiring a bleed is part of that and covered under the $250.

That's dishonest shop.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    Agreed. In fact I would have built it myself even if the shop offered to do it for free. As often as not, putting one's bicycle into the hands of shop personnel is a risky thing to do at best and the wrong thing to do at worst. I know and trust my own work. Same can't be said for many if not most shops. Even within the same shop, quality of work varies from employee to employee.

Exceptions to what I said above:
    • I'd have the shop press the headset in
    • I'd have the shop face & chase the BB (assuming it's threaded)
    • If I know a shop employee personally and (s)he offers to do the work personally, I'd buy him/her some good microbrew and help them drink it while they/we work on my bike after hours. Not on the clock.

If the shop screws either the headset or BB chase/face up, another new frame is on them. BTW, if the shop values your business, it should perform both of these services free on a warranty frame replacement.

Having good friends at the bike shop is a good thing.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    As often as not, putting one's bicycle into the hands of shop personnel is a risky thing to do at best and the wrong thing to do at worst.
    ^^this
    No shop will ever touch one of my bikes... ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Exceptions to what I said above:
    • I'd have the shop press the headset in
    • I'd have the shop face & chase the BB (assuming it's threaded)
    • If I know a shop employee personally and (s)he offers to do the work personally, I'd buy him/her some good microbrew and help them drink it while they/we work on my bike after hours. Not on the clock.

If the shop screws either the headset or BB chase/face up, another new frame is on them. BTW, if the shop values your business, it should perform both of these services free on a warranty frame replacement.
    I was so glad I had the headset installed on my Mojo 3 by the shop I purchased it from. My headtube ended up cracked and there weren't any questions since it was done by a shop.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I would not pay more than $250'. Even if the bleed was required they should have included it in the estimate. If you don't get any satisfaction from the shop call Trek customer se vice and tell them what happened.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I tried to build it myself. The shop deceived me into thinking I had to build it up there to keep my warranty.

I went in today and unfortunately didn't get to speak with anyone superiority. I talked to one of the mechanics and he whole hardheartedly agreed that i was gouged on this ordeal. So he took down notes, I pointed out all of the issues with the build and he got my top cap back. He is going to talk with the shop owner tomorrow and i should get a call for him. He said before you go ripping us a new on yelp or google let us try to make this right, so hopefully they do something.

Trek also called the shop and also didn't get a hold of anyone of superiority but told the shop and said they needed to resolve the situation to some extent and that would happen between me and the shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dethwshbkr View Post
    sounds like an issue with the shop, not trek at least.

nailed it
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I agreed and I told the trek warranty rep that. Trek sent the frame fast and it was better than what I had. So I am happy on the trek end not the shop end

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good News! The service manager at the shop saw the miscommunication that happened and realized that i had been pretty poorly treated and decided to refund me 200 bucks. I brought in a quote from another shop yesterday that included bleeding of the brake and reverb for 150 and they decided to honor that. I didn't think they would really sway but they did. Im pretty sure trek had some leverage on the situation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Good to hear it worked out. I'm surprised you were able to get a 2016 frame though. Last I heard they didn't have any.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    No I got a 2018 frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

EX-9 With Cracked Frame

Do you have a picture of the crack in your original frame? My EX-9 has a crack in what sounds like the same place. Just filed warranty claim today. Did yours look like this?

Trek Frame warranty Issues-crack.jpg

I've also had a lot of problems with cable rub on this frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Mine looked exactly like that. I also had some paint chipping going on too. I did as well. Especially the seatstay rubbing on the rear brake hose. New frame has the issue as well. I think the frame was designed with brakes that have hose that exit on the drive side of the caliper vs non drive side like the xt brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Few pics

Quote Originally Posted by Smoan14 View Post
    Mine looked exactly like that. I also had some paint chipping going on too. I did as well. Especially the seatstay rubbing on the rear brake hose. New frame has the issue as well. I think the frame was designed with brakes that have hose that exit on the drive side of the caliper vs non drive side like the xt brakes.
    Thanks for the reply. Cable rub shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Frame warranty Issues-f5f024d3-dbee-4f97-b783-ea4f64746123.jpeg  

Trek Frame warranty Issues-45443ae3-89fb-4417-b94e-52dd775d14c1.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm seeing a lot of there threads were shops are gouging customers for swapping parts over on warrantied frames. Its a pretty crappy, predatory move. If a customer spends good money a bike and it breaks that customer shouldn't have to pay a dime to get their bike going again.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of there threads were shops are gouging customers for swapping parts over on warrantied frames. Its a pretty crappy, predatory move. If a customer spends good money a bike and it breaks that customer shouldn't have to pay a dime to get their bike going again.
    I had a similar issue with my warrantee. The shop promised a nice build up for 200. I went for it as a good will gesture for dealing with the warrantee process. When I got the bike back they reinstalled the headset without greasing the bearings and zip tied the cables to the frame rather than the internal routing. Clearly they will not see any more business from me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Then your issue is with the manufacturer not the shop.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 09-14-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Interesting. My experience was the opposite. 8 month old Farley 9.6. I had upgrade most components and had good relationship with LBS. took bike to beach house, ended up with cracked stay with all recent rides being sand. Took to shop for post-beach B.B. maintenance (they found crack). Trek initially refused to warranty. I was considering new non-Trek frame and asked LBs to try one more time with Trek. LBS told me they spent 1.5 hour on phone and Trek eventually relented. From colors, looks like I got leftover ‘17 9.8 frame (fine). LBS swapped parts and told me b/c it was warranty, no cost to me (other than new B.B., which I needed). I brought shop 2 cases of beer.

Won’t use another shop. Won’t buy another Trek (was looking at FEX 9.9, got SB100).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Edit- spammers post removed
    Last edited by TwoTone; 09-19-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2