• 10-20-2011
    pitbull30
    Transporting a 29er via car
    I dont have one of those fancy racks for my car. Can you guys fit a 29er in a compact car? ie: Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla etc. Just curious since I currently dont have one to test it out on and Im thinking about driving a decent distance to a shop this weekend.

Also, when investing in a trunk rack for the car have you found any clearance issues with the 29er vs. the 26?
  • 10-20-2011
    pimpbot
    Sure
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
    I dont have one of those fancy racks for my car. Can you guys fit a 29er in a compact car? ie: Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla etc. Just curious since I currently dont have one to test it out on and Im thinking about driving a decent distance to a shop this weekend.

Also, when investing in a trunk rack for the car have you found any clearance issues with the 29er vs. the 26?

I can get my 29er in the back seat of my Audi A4 on a moving blanket with both wheels off.

Worst case, you might have to put your back seat down flat to get it both wheels off in the trunk.

Just make sure you don't set it down on the derailleur with the back wheel off. You can bend the hanger.
  • 10-20-2011
    Nietz
    I don't know about fitting it into a car but I would think if you have a car that you can fit a bike with 26 inch wheels into you would be able to get a 29er in there. as far as the clearance issues I have put 26 inch wheeled bikes, 29er's and even a trail a bike on my trunk mount rack with no issues.
  • 10-20-2011
    whoyawhit
    My bro in law has an older Tercel and he fits his 29er in there just fine. Take off the front wheel put a seat down and put it in through the truck. Fits like a glove.. I would go with a roof rack vs a strap on truck rack. Just my 2 pennies
  • 10-20-2011
    dubdryver
    When I was traveling for work...we had a couple rental cars, 2011 Hyundai Elantra (Corolla size) and a Hyundai Accent..even smaller, and I fit my tallboy in the back with the seats down with no problems with the front wheel off.

I also rented a Dodge Charger for a weekend, and had to do the same thing even with a full size class....so inevitably a wheel has to come off no matter how you work it.

You could get a bike rack for the back. In my opinion, the Saris Bones with a frame adaptor is the best setup outside of a hitch mount. You dont "need" a frame adaptor, but it does make it a lot easier to mount the bike, take it off, and keep it from rubbing the car once you use bungee cords.
  • 10-20-2011
    smaxor
    if the back seats fold down, pop the front wheel off and lower the seatpost and it may fit !
  • 10-20-2011
    Wildebeast
    I have a toyota matrix and can fit my large 29er in by taking the rear wheel off. I also have a saris rack on the back (trunk rack) and I still have to remove the wheel because if there are any dips at all (driveway) it will hit. So I pretty much have to take off the front wheel every time. It is not a big deal to me at all though, at least I can still ride.
  • 10-20-2011
    b-kul
    i can take both the wheels off my large stump fsr and fit it on my back seat with some room to spare. im thinking you could play some bike tetris and get it in a smaller car too.
  • 10-20-2011
    Frozenspokes
    I have a Chevy HHR and can fit two 29ers in it with the front wheels off and the seats removed. But I suppose that's cheating for this thread as it is a wagon.
  • 10-20-2011
    johnnyspoke
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildebeast View Post
    I have a toyota matrix and can fit my large 29er in by taking the rear wheel off. I also have a saris rack on the back (trunk rack) and I still have to remove the wheel because if there are any dips at all (driveway) it will hit. So I pretty much have to take off the front wheel every time. It is not a big deal to me at all though, at least I can still ride.

Hmm...I have a Pontiac Vibe which is supposed to be the same and I can fit my large 29 in with no issues and no dropping seat/taking off wheels. Maybe try it rear wheel first?

This is with the seats down.

I also have a Saris rack, mine is a bones but I can adjust it to ride high enough that the bumper would have to hit before the wheel of the bike (front) would hit.

Maybe helpful suggestions?

Edit: Photo uploaded depicting bike in back.

Attachment 647827
  • 10-20-2011
    pitbull30
    thanks that will work. I didnt want to drive a hour+ to this place who says they have a huge inventory to test ride, then end up buying just to find out I cant fit it in the car.
  • 10-20-2011
    evilsjg
    A full suspension 29er will fit in Civic with both wheels off but it may require loosening the stem and re-orienting the bars/fork or taking the bars off altogether, depending on the wheelbase of the 29er in question. Transporting a hardtail isn't really as big an issue, shorter wheelbase. You may get a hardtail in with the rear wheel on if you put the passenger seat forward and roll it in backwards so the rear tire is behind the pass seat and stuff the fork behind the drivers so it is resting in the rear drivers side seat (on the armrest more likely).

The trunk racks.. I have a Saris 2-bike model, you really need to adjust the arms so the bottom of the lowest tire is at least as high as the bottom of the rear bumper or thereabouts, or you will drag the bike on the ground if you drive through a sharp dip. It puts the bike up pretty darn high with a 29er, depending on the frame in question. This is much less an issue with 26er's. Also, a lot of full suspension bikes will not reasonably go onto a trunk mount racks because of shock interference. They are convenient to have around in case you need some overflow bike hauling capacity but for your primary means of bike transport, if you plan to do it a lot -- don't waste the money, pony up for a roof rack.
  • 10-20-2011
    Delirious
    My small Scott Scale 29er fits perfectly in the back of '08 civic with a decent amount of room to spare. I have a $300-$400 Yakima rack that I've yet to bother getting mounting clips so I can put it on my wife's car (roof is flat and better suited than mine) but I think its faster to just put the back seat down, take the front wheel off and slide it in my trunk.
  • 10-20-2011
    WillTheGreat
    I have a VW Golf (small hatchback) and my Specialized Epic 29er (size Large) is too long to fit in the back without taking both wheels off. However, I always use my roof rack unless it is a very long drive.
  • 10-20-2011
    Nazgul350r
    not in my speed protege. my old 26er would fit thought
  • 10-20-2011
    jesspal
    Yes take off front wheel and lower passenger seat. It will fit perfectly.
  • 10-20-2011
    Glide the Clyde
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whoyawhit View Post
    My bro in law has an older Tercel and he fits his 29er in there just fine. Take off the front wheel put a seat down and put it in through the truck. Fits like a glove.. I would go with a roof rack vs a strap on truck rack. Just my 2 pennies

Something wrong with your "N" key? :D

I can fit my XXL Stumpy FSR 29 in my '03 BMW 325ci with the back seats folded flat and only the front wheel off. QR = fitting in most cars.
  • 10-20-2011
    redpointist
    strap it to the roof with some spare rope! no rack required. :thumbsup:
  • 10-20-2011
    picassomoon
    I have a 2006 (the newest style) Honda Civic 2-door that I regularly put either my HT or FS 29'er into only removing front wheel and pulling out the seatpost. Back seats down obviously.
  • 10-20-2011
    Dirty Bastard
    throw it in the truck bed yo!
  • 10-20-2011
    AZ
    I got my 29er into a Smart car, I am pretty sure you can get it into a compact car. ;)
  • 10-20-2011
    Of course. Take front wheel off and lower passenger seat is correct.........

But here's the Catch, your big chainring will be about an inch from your leg. And if a car hits you from the side you will need about 100 stitches.. Because of that 1.5 years ago I got rid of my Big Chainring and went with a 2x9 with a Bashguard......
  • 10-20-2011
    jeffw-13
    Subaru Impreza (4 door)

Wheels in the trunk, the rest upright on the back seat. Its an XL bike with a 140mm fork
  • 10-20-2011
    James12345
    1997 Acura Integra 2 door. Can fit my medium 29er without removing anything from the bike with the back seats folded down and front passenger seat in the forward position. So fast and simple.
  • 10-20-2011
    hazardousmtb
    clearance issues depend on what you do with your car lol if ur an offroader like me, i tossed my old frame hitch rack because in some of the dips/ruts i went through the tires would drag a little bit. granted ive lifted the truck a little since then, i still wont do it anyore unless i know ill be on the road strictly.
  • 10-20-2011
    Glide the Clyde
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
    strap it to the roof with some spare rope! no rack required. :thumbsup:

Yeah, roll down your windows and loop the rope through the passenger compartment and up and around your bike. Solid.
  • 10-21-2011
    mcandy
    I've got a yakima High roller (fits thule bars too) that is about two months old I will part with for 100$. Mine rides mostly in the back of the suby outback with front wheel off so it can fit into the parking garage at work.
  • 10-21-2011
    Beancrew49
    My Scott Scale 29er in a Medium frame fits fine in my tiny Acura Integra. I have to take the front wheel off and fold both back seats down though, and the passenger seat is kind of cramped.
  • 10-21-2011
    426h
    I can fit a 29er in my wifes mini.
  • 10-21-2011
    6guitars
    Anybody fit one into a Bimmer 3?
  • 10-22-2011
    Spoook
    You should just buy a hitch for the car, and then get a hitch rack. I did this for my toyota corolla.
  • 10-22-2011
    willtsmith_nwi
    Just break down ...

Hitch ... hitch rack ...

Get it over with.
  • 10-23-2011
    mattgVT
    I have an older Hyundai Accent and a large hard tail 29er. It will fit inside with the rear wheel off and the back seat down, no problem. I also have a rear bike rack for that car and the bike is long enough to make me nervous about clipping the rear wheel in traffic or a close corner - haven't really tested but it looks like the rear tire stick out farther than the rear view mirror. So either way, I end up removing the rear wheel.
  • 10-23-2011
    zweigelt
    Car: Subaru Outback

Left: 29" Hardtail with 80mm Fork
    Right: 26" Rocky Mountain Element

on both Bikes, front Wheel and Seatpost removed, placed "head down" in the Car and fixed the rear wheel with Velcro Tape on the upper Handgrips....:thumbsup:

• 10-23-2011
    rolloverit
    I have an XL felt nine and i fit it into my acura integra with out front wheel and with the seats folded down. Works out fairly well actually.
  • 10-23-2011
    jay19
    i was able get my trek in the front seat of my 08 nissan altima..just layed the seat back and popped the front tire off...had to fanagle it around and everything..it was the seat post that gave me the most trouble..it was a tight fit..only reason i did it cause its a work car and i work close to the bike shop, save me an extra trip and my gas
  • 10-23-2011
    svtrich1
    Ford Focus
    I have a 2004 Ford Focus HatchBack 5 door. My large Epic 29er fits in the trunk with the front wheel removed, with no issues.