Transam 29er, Slayer 26er, and Enduro 29er Comparison- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Transam 29er, Slayer 26er, and Enduro 29er Comparison

I had some time with all 3 bikes on the same trails so I thought I'd post up my thoughts

Rider: Intermediate, 5’10”

Trails: Bootleg Canyon Nevada

Bikes: 2012 Transam 29er (Medium), 2012 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50 (large), 2014 Specialized Enduro 20er Comp(Medium)

Previous Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Rocky Mountain Altitude 29er (2010), Scott Scale 29er

Transam: I love hardtails, and I love steel hardtails even more. I’m constantly amazed at how capable and fun the transam is. Set up is Fox 34 140mm, SLX/XT components, dt swiss wheels and formula rx brakes. The bike is awesome. Climbs really well, even with the 140, and is extremely playful and fun to ride.

Slayer: Another great bike, completely stock build. Climbs well, I like Rocky Mountains straight up geometry. Overall a very capable bike. I would ride this one back to back with the transam on the same trails and just felt like the 26” wheels would get hung up a lot more than the 29” of the transam. So I started to look for something like the slayer, but with 29” wheels. That led me to the Enduro 29er. I don’t want to take anything away from the slayer though, if you aren’t into 29” wheels and are looking for a 6” travel bike take a look at the slayer. The 29ers just suit my trails and my riding better.

Enduro: I test rode a 2013 in the parking lot and almost bought it on the spot. It felt like I was on my transam, but with all the travel out back too. I saw that for 2014 they were ditching the avid brakes (not a fan) and it was getting the new PIKE fork. I bought the first all black medium I could find. I only have a few rides on it, but it is an amazing bike. Climbs pretty well for a 30+ lb bike (better than the slayer but not quite as good as the transam), and absolutely rips going down. I got myself in trouble because I was carrying too much speed and didn’t realize it a couple times. After about 20 minutes into the first ride I immediately felt at home on the bike and shot right up a little technical section that I haven’t made on the slayer and gives me a little trouble on the transam.

-The low bb height was noticeable, barely. It didn’t negatively affect the ride and the pros outweigh the cons.

-It does bob a little with the shock in the “descend” mode. I mostly keep it in “trail” all the time, and will switch to “descend” for an extended downhill section.

-The PIKE fork lives up to all the hype. It was smooth right from the start and performs great. That being said, if I had the Fox 34 kashima I wouldn’t be rushing out to sell it and buy the Pike. Both forks rock.

-The Enduro feels like a 29er version of the Slayer, in a good way and with the benefits of a 29 inch wheel.

I’ll put some pictures up of all 3 bikes later today, just wanted to get my thoughts out there. Hit me up with any questions if you have them.

unrooted
    Sweet write up! I'm waiting on a TA 29 to arrive, but I eventually will get a FS bike. Ill have to do a test ride on the enduro when the time comes. Did you but from All Mountain? I really like that shop, despite my general aversion to bike shops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Adding some pictures

Here are pictures of all 3 bikes. The Slayer is sold, but I still have the Enduro and the transam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transam 29er, Slayer 26er, and Enduro 29er Comparison-3-bikes.jpg  

Transam 29er, Slayer 26er, and Enduro 29er Comparison-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Love my TransAm, kind of wish I'd gone with the 140mm fork but the 120 seems to do fine for where I ride.....for now.
    GG Smash

unrooted
    I have a Trans-Am sitting in my garage, just waiting for the 12x145 hope conversion kit!!! And I'm heading to tahoe tonight!!!!

Goddammmit... ugh.......I wanna ride my new bike..........uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhgaedgf;aklhgdkl;sa jdgf

I'm about to lose my f-ing mind!!!

Anyone know a shop in Sacrament or Tahoe that has one of these conversion kits in stock? I called all of the reputable businesses I could think of, but noone has it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wow the 26er sold first! I thought the 26 inch wheel was dead. Haha
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie View Post
    Can't tell if you're kidding or actually surprised. Various polls ive seen have shown that a huge amount of people are never going to stop riding 26 inch wheels. I am one of those people. I've already tried 27.5 and 29 on my local trails and they just don't cut it. One segment I ride all the time takes me 10:45-11:30 on my 26 inch slayer. I tried it on a trek superfly 29er and got 13:20, also tried it on a 27.5 altitude and got 12:40ish. With all the switchbacks, rocks, and roots sometimes I wish I had 25.5!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie View Post
    26er was the only one for sale, and it didn't sell very quickly..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Get a dropper post on that Enduro, it will blow your mind and unleash the bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I ve been on the fence about getting a TransAm, this post may have swayed me
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

unrooted
    Aflax, can you tell a noticeable difference between the Yelli and the Transam when it comes to steel vs aluminum ride quality?

I have been riding my Transam for over a month now and I like it, but I've looked at the Paradox and Yelli because it's about the only place I could lose 2 pounds off my bike, but if the ride quality is noticeable than I wouldn't want to do that!

What trails do you take the TransAm on at Bootleg? I tried riding the eastern leg 2 weeks ago and did not enjoy it at all! Girl scout is really fun though, and I would have ridden the Caldera loops if the wind wasn't howling. I did play in the park a bit, this bike is a lot better on the jumps and skinnies than my previous-70 deg headtube-frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Unrooted,

I definitely noticed a difference when I switched to the transam. It just felt like it smoothed everything out.

I take the transam all over bootleg: imba, pow, mother, caldera, Girl Scout and even Boy Scout, although Boy Scout was a little rough.