mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Trance 29er Capable of Enduro???

I am about to purchase a Giant Trance 2 29er after months of trying to decide which bike is best for me. The majority of my riding will be light to moderate trails with uphills and some more technical downhills. I also wish to enter a long distance XC ra​ce that has some technical descents. However, I was wondering if the trance 29er would be capable of entering the odd Enduro race from time to time? Seeing it only has 115mm of travel on rear and 130 up front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you have to ask... then you already know the answer.

The Trance 29 is not really an XC bike either, so you're stretching it in either direction.

What should matter is what you want to ride on a daily basis, buying a bike for the occasional race doesn't make much sense, but occasionally racing your daily driver is reasonable as long as you don't expect to set the world on fire.

Enduro bikes are generally 140-160mm rear travel, so you'll be flogging that poor bike if you ride it like a mini enduro. Ask yourself if you'd ride that bike on black diamond trails at a bike park.

Now it may also be the case that your enduro races are more moderate or you aren't planning to go all that fast and aggressive, in whcih case it'll be just fine.

That is a pretty nice bike, great all purpose sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot1555 View Post
    I am about to purchase a Giant Trance 2 29er after months of trying to decide which bike is best for me. The majority of my riding will be light to moderate trails with uphills and some more technical downhills. I also wish to enter a long distance XC ra​ce that has some technical descents. However, I was wondering if the trance 29er would be capable of entering the odd Enduro race from time to time? Seeing it only has 115mm of travel on rear and 130 up front.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

mtbr member
    90% rider and 10% bike. You can certainly race a Trance in an Enduro race. You may be a bit of a disadvantage on some the steeper or more technical sections but less of disadvantage than you would be showing up to a XC race on a 32 LB 160mm Enduro bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I guess I want a bike that can do most things as I only have enough money for one bike. I'll mostly be riding in plantations with mates and only doing the occasional moderate (Mostly plantations) Enduro race. However, most of the riding I do you have to ride up before you can go down. I currently ride a hardtail Cube acid 2012 XC and seem to survive although I do get rattled to pieces on some of the rougher stuff.

I enjoy the downhills but also want a bike that can climb well.

mtbr member
    Really up to you to pick where your priorities lie but you can definitely do everything you want to do on the Trance although it's not ideal for any one thing. Are you able to demo one prior to purchasing?

Formerly of Kent
    Depends on the terrain.

There are plenty of enduro races that take place on or use portions of XC courses. See the old Scott Enduro Cup course on Mag 7 in Moab, which is very much doable on an XC bike. There are also plenty of enduro races where you NEED a big, slack bike to get down the hill in one piece.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Really up to you to pick where your priorities lie but you can definitely do everything you want to do on the Trance although it's not ideal for any one thing. Are you able to demo one prior to purchasing?
    Yes i have a demo booked this weekend.. However iím worried that i might want the slightly longer travel 27.5 if the 29er isnít capable of the odd moderate enduro race.. I really do like the idea of a 29er though and have been told by many that I will love it

If i did want the 27.5 it would mean waiting an extra few months as i already have the 29er pre ordered for start of March

Fragilie
    With my experience, I'd say yes. Bike yourself for 80% of the tracks. Know a lot of guys that killed it on ST 29ers at Moab, Crested Butte and a few other races. Most of my fast times are on the shorter travel bike as it's just quicker. Geo is the key.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Yes i have a demo booked this weekend.. However iím worried that i might want the slightly longer travel 27.5 if the 29er isnít capable of the odd moderate enduro race.. I really do like the idea of a 29er though and have been told by many that I will love it

If i did want the 27.5 it would mean waiting an extra few months as i already have the 29er pre ordered for start of March
    Where do you live? Giant has the 2018 Trance 27.5 in stock. I'm not sure why it would take your dealer a couple month to receive a shipment. That's the benefit of Giant being so big, they have warehouses everywhere.

mtbr member
    You'll be sweat ^^

Chuck some wider tyres on & boom!!

Enduro-rific!!

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Ahh I live in the Isle of Man and was only looking at the 2019 versions but that could be a good shout if i do prefer the 27.5 cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Naolin View Post
    Where do you live? Giant has the 2018 Trance 27.5 in stock. I'm not sure why it would take your dealer a couple month to receive a shipment. That's the benefit of Giant being so big, they have warehouses everywhere.
    Ahh I live in the Isle of Man and was only looking at the 2019 versions but that could be a good shout if i do prefer the 27.5 cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In the UK? Why not a Whyte? The S120 is a sweet bike, very progressive geo, would be a cool trail bike with a 130mm fork, still pretty aggresive with the 120mm fork. Take it up a notch and get the T130.

It does sound you'll be fine with a shorter travel bike, as long as the terrain is doable on a hardtail. I'm sure you just love a short travel fs 29er. I just got a Fezzari Signal Peak 120mm XC/trail bike, running a 140mm Pike, it's my endurance trail bike. I wouldn't take it to a bike park, but for rough and tumble stuff I'd run it just about everywhere, only limitation would be high speed tech where I want a long front center and a slack front end.

Don't be afraid of mail order, Whyte, Fezzari, YT, and others have great products at very reasonable prices. For the cost of a Giance Trance 29 CF frame, you can get a complete Whyte S120 with a CF frame.

I guess I want a bike that can do most things as I only have enough money for one bike. I'll mostly be riding in plantations with mates and only doing the occasional moderate (Mostly plantations) Enduro race. However, most of the riding I do you have to ride up before you can go down. I currently ride a hardtail Cube acid 2012 XC and seem to survive although I do get rattled to pieces on some of the rougher stuff.

I enjoy the downhills but also want a bike that can climb well.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Sorry I misspoke, i meant to say that they do have the 2019 versions in stock at the moment.

But yeah I have no Idea about the UK though, only dealt with them in the U.S