Trail 29 , long distance Manx 100, what bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Trail 29 , long distance Manx 100, what bike

Hey, looking at getting new bike, mainly for burning round local trails but also lond distance xc like Manx 100. Been looking at Scott genius 930, orbea oiz, Cannondale habit 3. Or giant. Any advise and recommendations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvinpumba View Post
    Hey, looking at getting new bike, mainly for burning round local trails but also lond distance xc like Manx 100. Been looking at Scott genius 930, orbea oiz, Cannondale habit 3. Or giant. Any advise and recommendations.
    Don't you think providing what local is would help? Local riding where it's 45minutes of climbing followed by a long ass downhill is very different than local riding having a few short climbs separated by rolling/flattish terrain.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvinpumba View Post
    Norco Revolver FS 120

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sounds like an islander on the Isle of Man. Lots of climbing! Everything on the island is local, itís not that big!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Umm, I looked at that Scott and it's a 150mm bike. I sure as hell wouldn't be riding such a bike on an endurance race. 100-120mm of travel is perfect. You don't want a lot of travel to turn the bike into a lethargic sloth of a bike, that will really hurt at mile 60. On a 50 mile race, I don't really change anything from my XC race rig, but as it goes past that, I may put my longer 120mm fork on there and some beefier tires. These are because you do get tired and eventually they allow a greater margin of error over time. Consider that you'll be trying to click out miles as your main goal.

This looks to be XC racing. The mods I make for longer distance XC racing are fairly slight, nothing radical. If you want the bike also for some good trails-riding and not just XC racing, consider one of the many 120mm travel bikes, there are lots of good ones and that's a nice travel amount for that usage.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I am based in the UK in Suffolk. Most my trails are flowy. Bit of of up and down but not too many long climbs. The Scott has lockout on handlebars which seems good. Also like the look of yt Jeffrey any Whyte t130