Touring w/ a 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Touring w/ a 29er?

I'm planning a ride down the Great Divide Route. Thinking of getting a 29er. I know most of the advantages of 29" wheels, what are some of the disadvantages?

Also, how would a full-suspension work out for a 2000 mile trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    There really aren't any disadvantages to riding a 29er down the GDMBR. The majority of racers this year were on 29ers. Plenty of shops along the way to get new tires if necessary, WTB Nano's are the undisputed tire of choice.

Full-Suspension, sure but not really necessary. Some rode fully rigid, others with front forks. Much of it will have to do with your own needs. This is rhetorical but, do you have physical issues that necessitate suspension front and rear? The most common problems seem to be hand and foot numbness, but this doesn't afflict everyone.

Birthday Collector
    Rtdmn92, While your trip is a bit more ambitious than my little trip was, I used a rigid 29" for the Telluride-Moab trip a couple of years ago and it worked really well for me. Handled the washboard, 35 lbs of gear (I was the rolling bike shop in addition to my personal stuff) and even let me have an absolute blast riding the (fairly technical) Ute Creek trail section fully-loaded. Only "disadvantage" may have been the 1st day when this sea-level dweller had to ride up the steeper part of the climb to 11,000 ft and the gear couldn't get low enough! The bigger wheels handle sand and rougher surfaces great, and more than made up for the lack of suspension in my mind.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ok. I'm doing some research but I cant find much on touring bikes. I guess I want a 29" hardtail. Any suggestions or places I can get more information?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks, that's reassuring. Do you know what your lowest gear ratio was?

Birthday Collector
    I ran a 24 x 38 double ring set with an 11 x 34 cassette. So my lowest gear was about 21 inches. It was enough, even climbing John Brown Canyon from Gateway into the LaSals. (and bozo me never shifted into the 34, so I climbed in the 30 all morning... DOH!!!) (CORRECTION: It was a 36t large ring...)

If I was building a bike from scratch to use as an all-conditions tourer, I would definitely look at Salsa's Fargo, and I think the El Mariachi has braze-ons for a rack also. I really like the Niner Sir9, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have rack mounts. I'd go with steel or Ti for the comfort and easier to weld (steel) if it should crack on the trail... If moeny was not an object, I'd get a Jones Spaceframe and make sure it had the rack mounts and any other "touring" attachments you feel you need. My frame, a Raleigh XXIX worked well with an Old Man Mountain rack and the QR-mount rack with clamp-on fittings for the top. That set-up will work with about anything, and the racks are pretty darn nice.
    Last edited by ATBScott; 09-05-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

is buachail foighneach me
    you can get more info on touring mtn bikes and gear setup/selection here:

http://www.bikepacking.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm really liking the Fargo. How is rigid compared to a front suspension on such a tour like the GDMBR?

ballbuster

Check out SelfPropelledDevo

Quote Originally Posted by Rtdmn92
    I'm planning a ride down the Great Divide Route. Thinking of getting a 29er. I know most of the advantages of 29" wheels, what are some of the disadvantages?

Also, how would a full-suspension work out for a 2000 mile trail?
    He's riding from Portland to Ventura, CA on his 29er Hunter right now.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I don't know what the Great Divide route has in terms of the route- percent on singletrack, fireroad, etc. But for long climbs I strongly prefer the feel of a rigid fork, and if you have gear and you are not going for speed, maybe the rough course would not be terrible on rigid.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtdmn92
    Ok. I'm doing some research but I cant find much on touring bikes. I guess I want a 29" hardtail. Any suggestions or places I can get more information?
    Have you done a search for "touring' or "tourer" in the 29er forum?

Look for mikesee's posts, I think he's done quite a bit.

If you search for my posts and touring you might find some as I was researching the same thing a year ago or so.

Someone on here has a decent touring setup on a rigid Raleigh XXIX as well.

www.peterwhitecycles.com has some cool stuff too.

Members who have read this thread: 0