tough tax return decisions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

tough tax return decisions...

i would like to preface this all with the disclaimer that i am a fixed-gear road rider. i don't know jack about riding offroad. i started doing it regularly about 6 months ago and i really like it. i have never ridden a mountain bike offroad. just my crosscheck.

so, it's coming up on tax return time, and i'm pretty sure that i want to do one of two things:

1. buy a karate monkey frame
    2. upgrade my wheelset on my crosscheck (probably a phil/DT TK cocktail)

the situation is as follows; i love my crosscheck dearly. it serves equal duty as touring, commuting/around town, and offroad machine.

both the crosscheck and the karate monkey seem like great multi-purpose bikes. i view the crosscheck as being a slightly more in favor of the commuting/touring stuff, while the monkey is the inverse (well suited for offroad, and pretty good for commuting/touring applications as well). am i reading that right?

now, i wouldn't be so bold as to ask you all to tell me whether road or offroad should be of greater priority to me, but i would like a little "frame" of reference help. forgive my pun.

would the ride quality offroad be dramatically different with a monkey versus the crosscheck?

would my increased tire width make a dramatic difference?

am i living in ignorance by thinking that my crosscheck rides pretty darned well on singletrack and fire-roads?

am i assuming too much by thinking that the karate monkey would make a fine touring bike?

i guess that the name of the game is compromise, huh...

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by ink1373
    i would like to preface this all with the disclaimer that i am a fixed-gear road rider. i don't know jack about riding offroad. i started doing it regularly about 6 months ago and i really like it. i have never ridden a mountain bike offroad. just my crosscheck.

so, it's coming up on tax return time, and i'm pretty sure that i want to do one of two things:

1. buy a karate monkey frame
    2. upgrade my wheelset on my crosscheck (probably a phil/DT TK cocktail)

the situation is as follows; i love my crosscheck dearly. it serves equal duty as touring, commuting/around town, and offroad machine.

both the crosscheck and the karate monkey seem like great multi-purpose bikes. i view the crosscheck as being a slightly more in favor of the commuting/touring stuff, while the monkey is the inverse (well suited for offroad, and pretty good for commuting/touring applications as well). am i reading that right?

now, i wouldn't be so bold as to ask you all to tell me whether road or offroad should be of greater priority to me, but i would like a little "frame" of reference help. forgive my pun.

would the ride quality offroad be dramatically different with a monkey versus the crosscheck?

would my increased tire width make a dramatic difference?

am i living in ignorance by thinking that my crosscheck rides pretty darned well on singletrack and fire-roads?

am i assuming too much by thinking that the karate monkey would make a fine touring bike?

i guess that the name of the game is compromise, huh...
    I don't own a XC, but I have a converted old Trek steel bike that is trying to masquerade as a XC, so not totally qualified to comment, but I can add a little bit.

Real fat tyres make a huge difference. I'm running WTB 700-44s on the pseudo-XC, and they are quite capable, but NOTHING like the bigger 29er tyres. Still fun.

I think the KM would be an awesome touring/commuting machine - I have a set of Kenda Khan tyres - 2.0 slicks - and they ROLL! I think they would be much more of a pleasure to ride than the 26x1.9 tyres I toured on last time. The diameter of the Khan-29er wheel is HUGE compared to a road wheel or a 26-slick setup.

The consensus here is that the XC is pretty capable offroad, and many here have said that if they only had one bike (GASP!) they'd choose their XC.

In my short experience, the KM is an absolute beast offroad - can't believe how capable it is.

I guess it depends on what you want to do offroad, and if you want to have two bikes. If you can justify the cost and space of having two bikes, I'd say grab a Monkey. That'd make a pretty sweet stable!
    Ride.

mtbr member
    I have a KM and love it. If you are already riding single. i say buy a frame and fork single it, and have fun. It cost me alot less to do that than try and gear the thing. I can't believe how much fun it is to just ride without thinking about what I need to upgrade next, or what gear I need to shift into. The bigger tires make the KM roll over anything, and surprisingly comfortable.
    My $0.02

Recovering couch patato
    I have both. My CC is currently in commuting SS trim, on the fattest slicks that'll fit, 2.0 Big Apples.
    The CC had finess, the KM has balls. Think rally car vs. monster truck.
    Should you have short legs, you have the interesting optoin to get the KM in a small size, and run the same bars as on your CC (due to similar top tube), if you so wish. IMO road bars suck in terrain worthy of a mountain frame, though.
    For (bad road) touring, 2.35" Big Apples on a KM will blow your mind. So will the bomberness of knobbies used offroad. Treat the KM on a wide handlebar, it deserves one.

Members who have read this thread: 0