mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Top Fuel SL Pivot Question

Hey all. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I was replacing my pivot bearings on my 2017 Top Fuel 9.8 SL recently and noticed the main frame bearings have a sleeve over the bolt between the bearings. Anyone no why this is necessary, or has anyone removed that sleeve?

Reason I ask, is that I am chasing an odd click that I think may be coming from the calipers, but I am not ruling out that the sleeve is making a metal on metal noise. I doubt it, but it could be.

mtbr member
    The pivot spacer goes between the bolt head and bearing and between the nut and bearing so that the inner races get pinched and secured against the pivot spacer between them. They are required to ensure proper spacing and the bearing don't bind. I put a light coating of grease on the contact points.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think we may be talking a out something different. The lower swing arm and the upper pivot assembly’s have a bolt that goes through the seat tube. Inside the seat tube between the bearings is a sleeve that the bolt goes through, That is what I am referring to. You remove that bolt and one of the larger bearings inside the seat tube and that sleeve will fall down to the B.B.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you mean nr 23 in the image? I assume it's supporting the bearings when you are tightening the pivot bolt. Without that spacer, I am guessing you risk either cracking the frame or having the bearings just fall into it when you start tightening.

Top Fuel SL Pivot Question-tf-pivot-spacer.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes. It is 23. The bearings have cups so they can only go in to a certain point. I guess there is an argument for lateral support for the seat tube in some ways though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So fwiw. That noise was not the pivot sleeve. Will be keeping the sleeves in place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Realize this is an exceptionally old thread, but it seemed like an idea. Took my suspension apart to ship to fox now I'm trying to put piece#17 back in place. Do these go between the shock and the bearing or the nut head and the bearing? If it's the former, I'm at a loss for how to install.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    17 goes between the shock and the bearing. The best way is to use a little grease on the washer to "stick" them to the bearing to hold them in while you install the shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 on the grease as glue.