Tool Kits....- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tool Kits....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Tool Kits....

I just bought a used Niner One 9 frame and plan on building my first SS 29er over this winter for some races next year. I was curious as to what are the 'must have' tools for this process and if anyone could recommend a tool kit. I do plan on having a wheelset custom built from no tubes, so I wont be doing any spoke or hub work....at first!

I know......this is probably the most boring topic of them all!!, but I have to start somewhere.

At Work
    all you really need is an allen wrench set.(T Handles are best), Chain Tool, Cassette tool for removing your rear cog. This depends on what type of hub you are running, Bottom Bracket Tool. Cable Cutters (Either Park, Sette or other bike specific cutter) Basic hand tools, screwdrivers Phillips and Flathead.

As far as setting the headset you can make your own press with some all thread shaft, nuts and washers.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks, I was looking at a custom Stan's 355 with a ZTR Single Speed Hub and then purchase a Niner Eccentric Bottom Bracket.

At Work
    have not seen the ZTR singespeed hub. I run Arch's with ZTR hubs on my Titus FTM.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you go to No Tubes Custom Wheel sets, on the 355, there is an option for the ZTR Single Speed Hub there. It actually only adds $20 to the set. I also emailed customer support and they told me if I called, I could have this installed on the Crest, which they recommended as a good set up for my bike build interest and riding style/weight.

mtbr member
    ZTR Single speed hub laced to Arches. I have been on it for a few month. So far I am happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0