Tonic Barnstormer 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Tonic Barnstormer 29er

I had Tonic build this up for me during the fall and i have been riding it since early December. I have put it though some good paces and figured i would post up about it. This was the first Short Stay 29er Tony had built and we played around with quite a few drawings and ideas. Tony was easy to work with and builds a hell of a nice bike. I have been on his DJ bikes in the past so i knew what his frames looked like.

Local trails are really rocky technical trails, some smooth fast trails at other parks too. We had it down in North Carolina for 3 days just after Christmas on some of their trails, Dupont, Laurel Mountain, etc 10,000 feet of climbing and 63 miles in three days. I feel pretty comfortable on the bike and I cant find a fault with it. Does everything i want it to do and more.

The bike pulls up real easy for lifting the front end up onto rocks and has an amazingly good sweet spot for pulling into manuals. It manuals better than i do. No problems in tight switchbacks (feels short and fast), sits into berms like a DJ bike, jumps really well (better than the rider), and climbs like a billy goat. The front end doesn't wander at all, but i stand quite a bit for climbing. Probably the best handling bike i have ever owned. Overall i couldn't be happier with the work Tony did at Tonic. We had a powdercoat problem, but that is sorted and a non-issue.

I think i can fit a 2.5 in there if i want, but 2.4 or 2.35 is probably all the tire i will ever get into it. HTA is between 69.5 and 69 at 25% sag. Chain stays are somewhere just under 16.5 at the shortest setting. I have them right in at the top of the ECBB now and they are at 16.5. It will run flats with 5.10 shoes and no toe overlap....so happy there, even though i cant SS with flats.

I pretty much picked the things i wanted on the bike like: bent seat tube, 2.5 clearance, slacker HTA, short stays, pierced top tube, and this was product of 3 tweaked drawings.

Setup-
    Marzo 44 micro Ti set at 120mm, I-9 SS wheels, Reverb seatpost, Homebrewed components Stainless steel cog, 2.4 Ardents, Chromag stem, bars, and seat.

Here are some pictures.

mtbr member
    That looks great.

How much?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wow those are really short stays. definitely not one for a muddy day. Looks like a good bike though.

conjoinicorned
    that is beautiful, i love the subtle curves over the exaggerated curves that are en vogue these days

thanks for sharing
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

WNC Native
    Good to see this thing go public!
    Let me know when you get tired of those wheels.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    1200 was the price.

Mud isnt bad. First ride was the punk bike enduro and it packed up no worse than other bikes. Seems like the mud shoots off to the side after it builds up a bit. I thought it would be bad but it isnt.

Tonic has a good style. Wish i would have pushed for double bend seat stays, but i am happy with how it came out.

Nitrous... Never gonna happen. I dont know if i can live without i-9s and a reverb.

mtbr member
    I used to live right behind the Tonic shop. Their stuff always looked so clean and well laid out.

mtbr member
    I really love the clean look and the "no-nonsense" feeling the bike gives... Do you know what's the frame weight? Is that an "old" 1" 1/8 headtube? Thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Cant remember frame weight around 5 or 5.5 i think. Yeah 1/8th headtube. I should have picked tapered to future proof it. I guess i would have changed that on the build.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the info!