Toe and front wheel overlap?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Toe and front wheel overlap?

In certain situations of turning the front wheel, the tire rubs the toes of the shoe....What does that mean? Is the frame too small or is that just the geometry of the frame fork combo? What adjustments can be made or is that just the way it is. Maybe smaller feet would help

Thanks

mtbr member
    A combination of geometry, fork rake, tyre size, foot size and foot position.

Sorry not to be much help :-(

Work Shed...
    If your using clipless pedals, make sure the cleat is on the ball of your foot, that will keep your foot as far back as possible. I had mine to far back for the longest time and didnt notice.
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

Recovering couch patato
    70% of your foot is behind the pedal.

What bike sdo you have, which size? People need to be warned if there's a potential problem!

mtbr member

2big2ride

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    70% of your foot is behind the pedal.

What bike sdo you have, which size? People need to be warned if there's a potential problem!
    By his name he sounds like a big fella. Would also like to know the details (his size, frame, fork, tires etc..........

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    By his name he sounds like a big fella. Would also like to know the details (his size, frame, fork, tires etc..........
    He rides a Surly Monkey (I think medium), with a Vicious Cycles fork. I'm not sure if his fork is sussy corrected...
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Feb 2006
    Yes, it's due to offset/rake, the KM fork has about 6mm more rake than a Reba.

mtbr member
    I think with Karate Monkeys a lot of the toe overlap issues riders have (myself included) is caused by the particular forks that riders choose to run.

I'm riding a small KM frame with a Reba up front and I get some overlap.

I think that people riding the frame rigid with Surly KM forks don't experience the overlap issue.

Is this due to fork offset or something like that?

Jan 2004

Wink Thanks Dad...

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    He rides a Surly Monkey (I think medium), with a Vicious Cycles fork. I'm not sure if his fork is sussy corrected...
    Actually...I'm dinking around with a friends medium Vicious Motivator with the sus. corrcted fork with the 2.3 up front.

My specs are a "svelt" 5-11 frame with a 210 load...My shoe size is a 46 and I will have to see about my cleat placement.

As for the Monkey and the sus. corrected Vicious fork, I have no problems at all...solid ride just those horizontal dropouts.

Feb 2006
    22.75 TT on that beastie - that's always going to give you some problems with overlap, with your size 46 flippers that makes it almost impossible to avoid overlap on a bike with that sort of head angle - I'm amazed it only rubs!

Recovering couch patato
    It gets tight when seat tube angle dips under 73, head tube angle goes over 72 and top tube under 24 or so.
    But we can all blame Marzocchi and especially Rockshox. 29" just asks for larger offsets than 26", and not identical to the shortest offset seen on 26"er. Frame makers are forced to use steep head tube angles to keep handling lively, toes get buzzed. Small 29" frame built around current suspension forks tend to be slow handling, a result of the frame maker preventing catastrophic toe overlap with geometry "tweaks".
    Rockshox, make 47mm offset or more the new standard for 29"!!! On-One leads the way!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Sorry son! Didn't know you were thinking about the whole Vicious beastie...
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Members who have read this thread: 0