Tnt Sultan Or Anthem X 29?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Tnt Sultan Or Anthem X 29?

Been considering going 29 being 6'2''.As a lifelong Turner fan been looking at the TNT Sultan.Wanting something more trail,xc so wanting to keep it 4'' travel thats why i have discounted the DW link Turner which seems a little bit more burly.Also looking at the Giant Anthem but i must admit the Turner seems better quality.Anyone ridden the two to compare? Can the older Turner compete against the newer designs? Am currently riding a 2004 5 Spot for general trail,xc duty's and would like this bike to replace that.Any opinions?
    Thanx Max

Powered by ice cream.
    Sounds like you should go with the Sultan.

Is "pedaling platform" important to you? If so that is the only thing to sway you toward the Anthem. If you ride and enjoy your Spot, you will ride and enjoy the Sultan.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

rr
    I don't do PC
    The TNT Sultan would be a great idea cause you can get one cheap and your already familiar with the susp design and ride of the Turner so you can focus on whether you like the big wheels.

I've really enjoyed my TNT version, pedals fine and probably better than your horst link 5 Spot.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sultans are sweet. A LBS has these demos for sale... they are in excellent condition and if the XL fits you that's a very good deal.

1-Medium Turner Sultan-2010-$2500-29er
    1-XL Turner Sultan-2010-$2500-29er

Zion Cycles 435-722-0040 as for "Fred"
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Tá mé ar meisce.
    I rode a TNT Sultan for years. I don't think the TNT design gives up much compared to newer designs out there. I think the Turner would be a great choice.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanx guys.I will keep my eye out for a XL TNT Sultan.That seems to be the way to go!
    Thanx Max

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think the Anthem 29er is something that you shouldn't disregard out of hand even the X3 is well equipped.

1. Boost valve rear shock
    2. 15mm T/A
    3. Tapered headtube.

The maestro suspension system is quite good as well. It's a very agile and tough bike I think it's a mistake to simply dismiss it out of hand.

not so super...
    Go with the DW. While the TNT works well the DW Sultan is so much better. It is truly a big wheeled 5Spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Go with the DW. While the TNT works well the DW Sultan is so much better. It is truly a big wheeled 5Spot.
    I get the impression that's what he doesn't want? Some people don't want/need a lot of suspension.

Expert Crasher
    No doubt the TNT is still a solid choice for a 4" travel bike. I had one for 2 years.......this thread needs a pic.

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX LLOYD
    Been considering going 29 being 6'2''.As a lifelong Turner fan been looking at the TNT Sultan.Wanting something more trail,xc so wanting to keep it 4'' travel thats why i have discounted the DW link Turner which seems a little bit more burly.Also looking at the Giant Anthem but i must admit the Turner seems better quality.Anyone ridden the two to compare? Can the older Turner compete against the newer designs? Am currently riding a 2004 5 Spot for general trail,xc duty's and would like this bike to replace that.Any opinions?
    Thanx Max
    I'm your size and IMO think the DW Sultan is better than both the TNT Sultan and the Giant Anthem in a variety of ways.

More capable.
    More versatile.
    Better suspension performance.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

I love Turner's but that TNT Sultan doesn't work as well as the Maestro suspension design, so I would recommend an Anthem. I just think there are better designs now than the old fake 4 bar design. I love my RIP 9!
    Last edited by Jaybo; 01-02-2011 at 11:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah,
    Really love the Turner's but obviously need to test ride a 29er before i can make my choice.I just think the DW Sultan is a little too much bike for my needs! There's no doubt the DW link is a good system! I also own a DW Flux which i use for racing.How about a DW Flux 29er? That would make a great bike! I also manage a Giant dealership in the UK so the possibility of getting an Anthem 29er at a good price is an option! Only model available in the UK is the Anthem X 29er 1! No 2 or 3 or frameset! You guys in the USA have it good!
    Thanx Max

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just rented a Sultan for a 2 day out at Hurricane RIm UT... SULTAN!!! nicest riding bike I've ever ridden. LOVED it.

mtbr member
    RIP9....try one before you buy...
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1x21212
    Just rented a Sultan for a 2 day out at Hurricane RIm UT... SULTAN!!! nicest riding bike I've ever ridden. LOVED it.
    What trails did you ride? There are some trails out there that are really 29er friendly.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How about a DW Flux 29er?
    I know several people, including myself, that would buy this without a second thought if Turner would offer it. Sadly, it just doesn't seem to be the direction he is going with his bikes....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    I know several people, including myself, that would buy this without a second thought if Turner would offer it. Sadly, it just doesn't seem to be the direction he is going with his bikes....
    I'm with you on this. I'd like a 29er FS this year. I want a 100mm 'light' XC ride. Sultan DW is too heavy. I am thinking Anthem X or Jet9. Irony is both will save me money over a Turner... But if Turner had an option I'd gladly pay more.

mtbr member
    based on your description.... PIVOT MACH 429

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    Carbon light weight DW Sultan would be rocketship! I'd buy one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw
    based on your description.... PIVOT MACH 429
    I don't like the look of the Pivot. Ugly to me. Don't like anodized frames either. Or their price compared to the Giant or Niner.

I'd only pay more for a Turner (cause I love them)... That is until they are also made in the production melting pot of the east...

I figure if I am buying a frame made by Giant or one of the others (Merida etc..) I may as well, well, buy a Giant and save some bucks. Is Pivot DW better than Giant Maestro? Perhaps that's another thread.

Now where is that light Sultan XC/race...

mtbr member
    Well that right there would seal it for me, just don't understand the "might" part HTF can you manage a dealership and not get employee/shop pricing?

I had a Giant Trance '05 and loved it, wished they had a 29er, but they said no way, so I set it aside, although nothing else was wrong with it except it had small wheels and got a 29er. Now they finally came around to 29ers, if I had the chance I'd love an AnthemX 29er as an XC bike. Your only problem might be if you get the Anthem you might soon be trying to find someone to take the Flux off your hands because you also race the Anthem It's what I'd do at least Nice super light, race only wheelset with light tyres and then a training/whatever decent wheelset with real tyres.

Yeah,
    Really love the Turner's but obviously need to test ride a 29er before i can make my choice.I just think the DW Sultan is a little too much bike for my needs! There's no doubt the DW link is a good system! I also own a DW Flux which i use for racing.How about a DW Flux 29er? That would make a great bike! I also manage a Giant dealership in the UK so the possibility of getting an Anthem 29er at a good price is an option! Only model available in the UK is the Anthem X 29er 1! No 2 or 3 or frameset! You guys in the USA have it good!
    Thanx Max
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I just made the switch from a flux to a sultan. I am loving the bigger wheels. I have cleaned some techy stuff that presented a problem with 26" wheels. I also find that Turner bikes are solid built. They just seem to be quiet and not make any of those creaks that other over seas bikes do. I found this 08 recently it was brand new it weighed 6.1 pounds for a large and have it built to 24.4 pounds complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tnt Sultan Or Anthem X 29?-sultan-bike-only.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Utah

Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    What trails did you ride? There are some trails out there that are really 29er friendly.
    JEM and RIM. Loved them both. Lot's o fun.. Some folks complained about the Turner's weight.... on the bEast Coast I ride a Pro's former full XTR race hardtail... doesn't get lighter than that... I didn't notice the increase in weight because the Sultan was so balanced and the DW link made it very smooth. I wish I had the money to buy one NOW!

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1x21212
    JEM and RIM. Loved them both. Lot's o fun.. Some folks complained about the Turner's weight.... on the bEast Coast I ride a Pro's former full XTR race hardtail... doesn't get lighter than that... I didn't notice the increase in weight because the Sultan was so balanced and the DW link made it very smooth. I wish I had the money to buy one NOW!

op asked about the tnt sultan.

Members who have read this thread: 0