-142x12 rear through axle spacing
    -Cane Creek Double Barrel Air
    -Tapered head tube
    -30.9 Dropper post compatible seat tube
    -ISCG05 mount integrated
    Titus El Guapo 29er Frameset
    Cannot beat that price!

mtbr member
    Awesome!!! Finally. So is the $939.99 with the Cane Creek or is it another $150 like the website says and if so what shock does it come with for the $939.99.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure it comes with a Monarch RT3?

Trophy Husband
    18" chainstay?...[snicker]
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    El Guapo 29er is now available : Super Raw, Black & Pearl White
    -130mm travel
    -Tapered head tube
    -ISCG05 mount integrated
    Cannot beat that price!
    Wow looks great, and the price is right. Maybe is time to start saving some $$$.
    Last edited by Max24; 03-09-2015 at 11:14 PM.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover View Post
    18" chainstay?...[snicker]
    I know Brant often measures chainstays center-to-center, rather than horizontal equivalent, which is more standard- that's the case with my Fireline Evo. Horizontal equivalent would be a bit shorter, maybe 1/4"?

29ers Forever
    It sure looks like a cool bike, but I am not sure I would buy it. But for the price, it is a great deal (if the Cane Creek comes with the $940 price tag).
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

Trophy Husband
    17.75" chainstay?...[snicker]
    Extreme stationary biker.

FM
    mtbr member
    Your avitar makes me THIRSTY

mtbr member
    El Guapo 29er is now available : Super Raw, Black & Pearl White
    -130mm travel
    -Tapered head tube
    -ISCG05 mount integrated
    Cannot beat that price!
    What happened to 140+ mm rear travel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    What happened to 140+ mm rear travel?
    It's taken so long, I got my update wrong.
    139.9mm rear travel is the correct number.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I know Brant often measures chainstays center-to-center, rather than horizontal equivalent, which is more standard- that's the case with my Fireline Evo. Horizontal equivalent would be a bit shorter, maybe 1/4"?
    There's a lot less BB drop on the Guapo, which makes the center-to-center measurement much closer to the horizontal measurement. It's about 17.97"

The price is insanely low. Given the cost of a CCDA, the frame is being sold for hard tail dollars. With that said, yeah, 17.97" is a no go for me. I was hoping the Codeine Brant posted up would be closer to the direction of this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    It's taken so long, I got my update wrong.
    139.9mm rear travel is the correct number.
    Nice. Thanks. I assume this is aimed at a 140-150mm fork...51mm offset? What's the approximate wheelbase on a size L with said fork?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Pretty sure center to center is the standard that most use. Otherwise my specialized 29er would me like 16.5...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Pretty sure center to center is the standard that most use. Otherwise my specialized 29er would me like 16.5...
    They don't provide a graphic so it's hard to say!

Pretty sure Horizontal equivalent is the industry standard measurement though- ar least thats how most brands tend to measure.

Interesting example of how numbers alone don't always tell the whole story.

Here's for the Prime, for example.
    Name:  CS.JPG
Views: 4323
Size:  25.8 KB

And some Niner
    Name:  CS2.JPG
Views: 4167
Size:  12.9 KB

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What the HA and weight of frames?

Just Joshin' ya!
    I owned a 2008 Racer X and a 2008 El Guapo and I loved both of those bikes. A month ago, I would consider this bike if it did not have such a long chain stay and had around 150 mm of travel. BUT....I bought a Pivot Firebird instead and it is awesome. Easily convertible to 650b as well in the future.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I agree ..

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    Double Barrel add $150 according to shopping cart. Not bad for a $650 shock

J:

New question here. Nobody's built a large???

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Nice. Thanks. I assume this is aimed at a 140-150mm fork...51mm offset? What's the approximate wheelbase on a size L with said fork?
    front center is on the geo
    18+29.3= 47.3 (maybe a little less)

Has the large reach been posted yet? All I've seen is that small black photo..
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Agreed. For the price, it's a steal, so if you were on a tight budget, but if you're looking for something and have the cash, too many others out there with <17.5" stays to bother looking here. As to how the industry measures the chainstays, not 100% sure, but I measure mine from centre of axle to centre of BB and on my Banshees it's always matched up to what they listed that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Much more importantly, they are offering this T-shirt:

El Guapo 'Wanted' Tee

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I want that tee

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Will the $150 Cane Creek Double Barrel Air rear shock upgrade option come with CS (Climb Switch i.e. CCDBAirCS)? If not, can I pay a little extra to get the climb switch option? It would make a big difference on a single pivot while climbing.

mtbr member
    Its not a single pivot. Titus uses an FSR rear end with a horst link.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Its not a single pivot. Titus uses an FSR rear end with a horst link.
    Thanks!

Would the CCDBAirCS work better or do you think a CCDBAir without CS will be fine? Just curious if it comes with the CS at the $150 rear shock upgrade price? I do a lot of climbing to get to the goods and I would not mind paying a little more for the CS.

Review: Cane Creek DBAir CS rear shock | Mountain Bike Review

Elitest thrill junkie
    I got my El Guapo today! Props to Titus!

Titus El Guapo 29 is available!-photo-12-.jpg

mtbr member
    FSR is pretty pedal friendly. I've never ridden a CCDBA but I did spend a ton of time on a 26 V2 El Guapo with a Monarch on it. I loved that bike and the Monarch had the three setting compression adjust. On long climbs you could just put it on the climb setting and grind away. I would get the Monarch and spend the $150 on something else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Cool! I was thinking he same thing.

mtbr member
    Is this bike aimed at bike park riding/lift assisted riding? Or more trail type riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Titus El Guapo 29er July 10, 2015

Here's my recent build of my El Guapo 29er (small) X fusion 140 Trace RL fork, Fox RP 23 high volume kashima coatEd rear shock, Shimano SLX brakes 180/160, XT shifter 1x 10, XT 786 10 sp RD, XT 11-36 cassette, Wolftooth 42T cog, XT crank, Raceface 32T NW, WTB i23 tubeless wheelset w/SLX hubs, Geax 2.4 Goma, Bontrager 2.3 XR3, Answer Rove 60 mm stem, Azonic Flow 750 handle bars, Specialized 125mm Blacklite Command post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titus El Guapo 29 is available!-image.jpg  

mtbr member

El Guapo hits the dirt

Built this up back in May, but just added the dropper post. I used the drivetrain off my old bike to keep it within budget. It's a 2 X 9 with SRAM Attack twist grips that I bought several years ago.

XT shadow rear derailleur
    SLX direct mount front
    LX cranks with Race Face bash guard
    Praxis BB
    Fox 34 Performance Fork
    On One 60 mm stem
    Spank Spike 800 mm bars
    Avid DB1 brakes
    SLX hubs laced to WTB ST i25 rims
    10 spd KMC chain
    GEAX Sturdy 2.3 on front
    Kenda Karma 2.2 rear
    Cane Creek headset
    VP Vex pedals
    X-Fusion Hilo dropper post

Changed out bars, stem, and brakes. About to drop FIT 4 Factory damper in fork. Top photo is the newest. El Guapo in its natural habitat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titus El Guapo 29 is available!-img_0625.jpg  

Titus El Guapo 29 is available!-elg.jpg  

Last edited by older'nslower; 11-13-2015 at 08:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That black anodized is sexy! I just finished a build on one today and just finished a shakedown ride. Great bike that I need to tweak a bit to get it just right. I de-stickered all I could as I like minimalism.

Revelation 140mm
    Monarch RT3 Debonair
    XT 1x10 groupset except for an XTR bottom bracket I got on a ludicrous sale.
    Raceface 30t NW ring
    Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs with Flow Ex rims
    Easton EA70 post
    Fizik Tundra2 seat
    Crank Brothers Candy pedals/Cromag Scarab flats depending on what I am riding
    KMC chain
    Raceface Evolve 750mm bar
    an old Salsa 80mm stem I had in my parts box

I plan on upgrading to a dropper and a shorter stem as that was I had on hand. I'm not waiting until I can afford them as I have usable parts in hand.

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    That black anodized is sexy! I just finished a build on one today and just finished a shakedown ride. Great bike that I need to tweak a bit to get it just right. I de-stickered all I could as I like minimalism.

Revelation 140mm
    Monarch RT3 Debonair
    XT 1x10 groupset except for an XTR bottom bracket I got on a ludicrous sale.
    Raceface 30t NW ring
    Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs with Flow Ex rims
    Easton EA70 post
    Fizik Tundra2 seat
    Crank Brothers Candy pedals/Cromag Scarab flats depending on what I am riding
    KMC chain
    Raceface Evolve 750mm bar
    an old Salsa 80mm stem I had in my parts box

I plan on upgrading to a dropper and a shorter stem as that was I had on hand. I'm not waiting until I can afford them as I have usable parts in hand.
    Nice setup!
    Thinking of picking up one of these for sub $400 on PlanetX.com....comes w/out a rear shock. Can you describe the shock you're running and the size? Also, how does it handle with the long-ish chainstays? Not a deal breaker for me as I dont mind the longer cs and would plan on a B+ size wheel anyway.
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by coacheye View Post
    Here's my recent build of my El Guapo 29er (small) X fusion 140 Trace RL fork, Fox RP 23 high volume kashima coatEd rear shock, Shimano SLX brakes 180/160, XT shifter 1x 10, XT 786 10 sp RD, XT 11-36 cassette, Wolftooth 42T cog, XT crank, Raceface 32T NW, WTB i23 tubeless wheelset w/SLX hubs, Geax 2.4 Goma, Bontrager 2.3 XR3, Answer Rove 60 mm stem, Azonic Flow 750 handle bars, Specialized 125mm Blacklite Command post.
    Looks nice!
    Was trying to determine how much space (width) the rear chainstays have at 18 inches? Hoping to fit a 3.0 tire on 27.5 wheels, but wanted to see some pics with current 29 inch wheels to compare.
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    hey guys, so anyone up to making a review of their EG 29er? I'm considering one because the no shock option is very affordable. currently riding a 26er and seeing that this 29er dually wont break the bank, really considering it.

how does it ride in the trail? how does the suspension react to pedaling and on the descents (that may have to do much with the rear shock but you know what i mean). Been riding single pivot so really can't comment on 4 bar

But more importantly, how does it handle technical singletrack or trails?

and lastly, how stiff is the frame? I have used a noodly bike before and so and so stiff bike (I'm a bit heavy) and I hated it around the corners. dangerous even.

thanks1

mtbr member
    The only other AM bike that I've ridden is the Trek Remedy 27.5. I liked it, but it was out of my price range. I always liked the way the EG looked, so when I saw the deal I jumped on it. Here are my observations in no particular order:

- It's plenty stiff for me - but then I'm only 150 pounds, so I'm not sure this is an accurate assessment for a heavier person. The chainstay is pretty long at 18", so any wiggle would probably come from that area because the front triangle is plenty beefy.
    - I'm not hucking off big jumps or drops, but when the landscape points down, I can hold my own on the EG. I came off of a 26er Titus RX1 that had a 130mm travel fork, and while fairly stable, it does not compare to the EG, which is long and low with plenty of travel. I've ridden them both on long rocky downhills, and the EG 29er simply does not give you the beating that a shorter travel 26er will.
    - Although I have not used all of the travel available in the rear, it seems pretty active on the shock's open setting. I have only owned Horst link, fsr type bikes, so I can't compare them to the way a single pivot would behave. There may be some pedal induced bob, but I don't really notice, since this is the type of suspension that I've ridden for so long. I put the shock on the trail setting for trails that are up and down a lot, and then I lock it out for the long uphills of course.
    - I'm running a 51mm offset fork, so the bike does fine in the tight turns. Who knows, I might like a 46 offsett better, but I've never tried it.
    - This bike seems to climb slightly better than my 26ers did. It may be due to the fact that more rubber is on the ground with the 29" tire. Even though it is heavier, I feel less tired than after riding the same trail on a 26er.
    - You're probably not going to hang with the guys on the hardtail and short travel 29ers on the flats and uphills, but that's not why you're looking at this bike anyway.
    - I'm using an aggressive tread on the front and a fast roller on the rear. One thing that I noticed immediately, was the leverage that the larger wheel exerts on the bars. I ended up stepping up to an 800 mm bar and a 60 mm stem. Problem solved. It may not take that wide a bar for you, but I am willing to sacrifice some maneuverability in tight trees for the extra control in the more technically demanding sections.

I hope this has been of some help. My review is limited by the fact that I have not ridden many other AM bikes. However, it's hard to go wrong at the deal that On One/Planet X is offering. Had they not had the deal, I might have eventually gone with the 27.5 wheel size, but now that I have the 29er, I'm enjoying the fact that it rolls over nearly everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Your brief review is more than helpful really. Thank you so much. Im heavier than you 170 lbs more or less. It is not much from your weight but i guess that could reasonably affect stiffness.

I might pull the trigger on this frame because of the price. its enough reason to get this really. but the chainstay length though.

My current bike, a cannondale moto carbon 2 from 2010 is something i really like its plenty stiff and with relatively short 420mm chainstays.

the only thing holding me back now is the length of the chainstays. Price is no doubt a win-win.

mtbr member
    It's hard to say if 20 pounds would make much of a difference without some sort of testing. Most marketing is aimed at convincing riders that short chainstays make or break the feel of a bike, but then again, without riding a number of different bikes I can't say for sure. I know that Vassago markets their "wet cat" geometry with longer chainstays as being superior to shorter stays for a 29er. I came off of a 26er with pretty much standard 16.75" chainstays and I feel that the advantages that I got with the larger wheels, long front-center, and additional travel outweigh any loss of "playfulness" or wheelieing ability that the shorter stays confer. However, if you're coming off a 29er with shorter stays, you may be more conscious of the difference than I would be.

In fact, on downhill sections, where this bike shines, I can't say that 20 or so mm shorter stays would be provide any advantage at all. Bermed turns may be a different matter, but they are not present on every trail, especially big mountain backcountry trails. I read that the chainstay length issue was heavily debated by the guys at On One, but in the end they decided to go with the longer stays to get the travel that they were after and keep the look for which the El Guapo is known. The fact that the bike has longer stays and that the configuration of the swingarm somewhat limits the rear tire size that you can run on the bike appears to have reduced the demand for the bike to the level where they are offering such a good deal. I'm absolutely willing to live with these percieved deficits to get into AM biking at this price point.

My experience with Planet X/On One has been excellent thus far. Based on what you read on the forums, this seems to vary though. I had to call them about a couple of issues and they responded promptly. The frame was initially shipped with the incorrect rear axle and they had the correct one to me in a couple of days. Later I noticed that one of the main pivot bearings was turning a little roughly, and boom, four new bearings in no time. Know that since they control heavily for price, and this often means less qc at the factory, you may want to have some of the frame finishing work done by a shop - I had the bottom bracket faced and chased when I had the headset installed. One of my lbs installs the headset for free if I buy it from them and they have a reasonable charge for the facing and chasing of the bottom bracket, so that was not a big issue for me.

In the end, I'm glad that I bought this bike. It looks awesome and lets me ride sections with ease that would have given me problems in the past. I don't have a small fortune tied up in it to boot. I have no problem doing business with Planet X/On One in the future. (Their "Hotbox" stems are perfect for AM - big and beefy and they don't weigh a ton. The "El Guapo" Corto stems look like they would be the same.)

BTW, there are no torque specs for the EG pivot bolts published anywhere on the On One website, at least not that I could find. There are two options though - go with the old specs form when Titus was US owned, which you should be able to find on the web somewhere, or go to this guy's e-bay site: Titus El Guapo MTB Bearings/Bushes/Pin spare/replacement frame pivot parts UK | eBay

The e-bay site lists torque specs that are fewer inch pounds than the old specs, so I'm inclined to go with those, since overtightening bearings can cause premature failure.

Good luck with everything!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi all.
    I have a problem with decision regarding size. I think I should go for M but never sure if I never stood over it.
    Any experience?
    I'm 5'9".
    Please help as I'm about to hit the Buy button.
    Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    If it's standover height that you're worried about, there is little to no difference between the medium and the small. I have the medium, and based on the photos that I've seen, it differs from the small in that the seat tube is longer with an additional brace connecting top tube and seat tube. I believe the brace is absent on the small. The top tube is longer on the medium of course. If you look up the geometry, you'll see that headtube length is the same for both frames (101 mm).

On-One used to have size recommendations for the EG posted on their website, but I noticed it's no longer there. I think that 5'9" fell into the medium range. My height is on either side of 5'10" depending on when in the day I measure it (spinal compression) and I don't think that I would have been comfortable on a small.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yeah it was standover I was worried about. Don't want to hurt myself Toptube lenght can be always tuned with shorter/longer steam. Looks like I will go with M then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    OK, my frame is with me size M

I have limited budget and that was great option for me to get into AM biking.

So far I went for unusual components (nothing I have seen before next to that frameset in posts)

Budget, budget...
    Manitou McLeod 190/50 rear shock.
    Marzocchi 44 Micro STA for front.
    El guapo Corto stem 58mm.
    El Guapo Ancho handlebar.
    XT Shifters
    SLX Breakes - still need to decide over rotors

Plus will be:
    XT Rear delaurier
    XT Front delaurier
    SLX Crankset (hard to find now , if forced will go for XT)

Since this is only the second bike I own and first that I'm going to build...

I have few questions:
    1. What headset? good value/quality - please help my logic - tapered headset and tapered forks means I going to have tapered headset? Should that be integrated or...?
    2. What gears ratio? Cog? Crank rings (2x10) - I like to be able to do both; fast flow trails and some mountain trails.

All for now but I'm sure will be more.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sounds like it's going to be a good build. Not sure if you're in the U.S. or U.K.

Re:headset, it takes a zero stack on the top and an external cup on the bottom. I use either a Cane Creek or FSA headset. The rich guys can use Chris King. Yes, the upper bearing will need to be smaller than the lower. I'm assuming that the Marz has a tapered steer tube. Here's a FSA headset from Jenson that's about as inexpensive as you'll find:FSA Gravity DX Pro-A Headset > Components > Headsets | Jenson USA. If you go with it, jump fast because they sometimes disappear before the ad does and then they may send you something you didn't order. To Jenson's credit, they always make good on it though. I bought one as a spare.

If you don't go with that set, you can get the diameter specs off the website.

I'm using a double crankset, 22/32, but if I could find a 34 or 36 to fit, I'd use it with a 24 small. I'm running 9 spd cogs, 11 (or 12?) X 32. I run out of top end on fast fire roads. BTW, you won't be able to run a chain guide with a double. I read somewhere that you couldn't, but I had to try it anyway. The small chainring bolts hit the bolts that attach the guide. If you run a single and want to mount one, know that you will probably need to file the top bolt down, otherwise it may contact the frame.

If you need wheels, Velomine.com usually has some that are very reasonably priced. I bought some with SLX hubs/WTB ST i25 rims/DT spokes for about $175 or so. That's for both wheels. They're out of those right now, but they have similar. They're not fancy, but they get the job done for now. Plan on buying some big cup and cone wrenches if you go with Shimano thru axle hubs.

One more thing - if you have one of the later frames, you should have plenty of room for a large tire in the rear (they did not advertise it, and it's not in their specs). Go wide on the rim - 25 to 30mm internal - and you won't be disappointed.

Good luck and post some photos when done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Cane Creek 40 series for that frame is another option. Cane Creek has a headset finder and you can email them too for the right one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi guys.
    Thanks for help so far.
    Bike is very close to be ready that will follow with some photos in few days.
    Sadly 19mm rims at the moment are on it as it was what I had on hand.
    Quick question
    What torque you used on rear susspension?