TITUS 29" RacerX's?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

TITUS 29" RacerX's?

Hey everybody! I'm considering a 29" Ti RacerX and I was wondering if anybody already had any, or/and any pics? I've ridden the regular RacerX and loved it. Please help!!! Thanks..
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

29er is a Racer X on Roids.

I have an Asylum and I've owned a RX (26). I have to say that the 29er is awesome. Best bike that I ever owned. It does everything better than it's little brother. Go for it.

I'm thinking of getting a FCR 29er hardtail from Titus. They do great work and very easy to deal with.

Good Luck..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Another RX 29er.......

I too had a 26" Titus Racer X 100 before the 29er bug bit me and I'll agree that the 29er offering takes it up a whole new level of performance and efficiency. The crew at Titus is hands down the 'bomb' as far as customer sevice is concerned, they have been absolutely a joy to deal with. Here is a pic before i got her good and dirty this fall. Full custom including the new carbon link.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Schipperkes are cool.
    You can only get the 29" wheeled Titus RacerX in Ti & Custom; they don't do that bike frame in Al or regular sizing.

Scoty-who will have one within the month!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Asylum is made by Titus.

The Asylum come in M, L, and Xl. The frame is made by Titus. Call Speedgoat.com

It is an awesome bike.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by homey
    Hey everybody! I'm considering a 29" Ti RacerX and I was wondering if anybody already had any, or/and any pics? I've ridden the regular RacerX and loved it. Please help!!! Thanks..
    I posted these pics a few weeks ago.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=Titus

My comparision is based on my B-29 hardtail and the RX, both with similar geometry. The RX is really in its element a speed on rooty singletrack with smaller rocks. The suspension tracks the ground great and enspires me to push the envelope further than the hard tail. I also notice a small improvement in braking over bumps.

Reality check. 2.86" of rear suspension is not going to get you through any rock garden like freeride/trailbike. The 29" wheels help the bike feel like it has a 1/2 to 3/4 inch more than it really does if you're used to a 4" travel. From a comfort standpoint, I notice a very marginal difference when seated between my Thudbusted B-29 and the RX. The real difference is at race pace, weaving through single track turns over inconsistant ground.

The RX is very stiff, similar to my old Ventana Salty, and it climbs rough ground better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Had mine since April - very happy

I've had my 29" Racer X since April '04 - not a single complaint. I agree completely with the above post stating that it is in it's element when going fast, but I have no complaints with the slow technical aspect as well. 90% of my Titus rides have been at 18 road and Kokopelli options in Frutia and Loma (Mary's, Steve's, Mack ridge, More Fun), along with Lunch Loop trails in GJ.

I vascilated between 80 and 100mm travel with my WB forks, but have now settled on 80mm with a t-axle as optimal.

In hindsight, knowing how much I like the bike now, I would probably go with the Ti-custom as it is a keeper in my stable (I have aluminum with Racer-X decals, same as an Asylum).

My only complaint is that it rides well enough to prevent me from purchasing other frames I wish to try for extended periods. Oh well, I'm riding so I can't complain too much...

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    Here is a pic before i got her good and dirty this fall. Full custom including the new carbon link.
    That is definately a sead dexy futher mocker.
    FS: Everything

featherweight clydesdale
    [QUOTE=rossixc]I've had my 29" Racer X since April '04 - not a single complaint. I agree completely with the above post stating that it is in it's element when going fast, but I have no complaints with the slow technical aspect as well. QUOTE]

I have no complaints about performance at slower speeds, except that its difficult to justify the cost/performance benefits compared to a Thudbusted hardtail unless you push the envelope from time to time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Asylum vs Ti

NICE LOOKING BIKE my friend. The Titus HQ is 10 miles down the road from me and I got to see a 29 RX they were building - awesome. Very cool people to talk to. It was really great, I had just stopped in to check things out and before long they were showing me the whole place and showed me much of the building process. Luckily I had long sleeves on to wipe the drool as I strolled through. They let me demo a couple of bikes for a weekend - didn't have a 29er available for that however.

I wonder how the asylum and the Ti versions compare flex wise (flex is my pet subject for the month).

Also, did you build yours up on your own or buy one of the Titus packages??

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone
    NIC They let me demo a couple of bikes for a weekend - didn't have a 29er available for that however.

I wonder how the asylum and the Ti versions compare....

Also, did you build yours up on your own or buy one of the Titus packages??
    Which brings up an interesting thing to muse upon: Would titus ever start offering Alum 29ers RX's to the buying public, or merely stay satisfied with the Asylum outlet?
    FS: Everything

featherweight clydesdale
    I wonder how the asylum and the Ti versions compare flex wise (flex is my pet subject for the month).

Also, did you build yours up on your own or buy one of the Titus packages?
    I don't know if you were responding to myself or Bubba, but anyway...

STIFF was one of my requirements I emphasized when filling out the custom order form from Titus. I'm not sure if they used thicker tubing or not, but my RX feels as stiff as my Ventana Salty which is well known as one of, if not the stiffest XC/Trail bikes out there. Unfortunately, a side by side, stomp on the crank, lateral flex comparison between the Salty and the RX was not doable since I had to take the Salty apart to build the Titus (I didn't buy a package). At 230 pounds, the Titus leaves me with no desire for more stiffness. Titus also claims to build the Ti RX to the same stiffness level as the Alum RX, so this really shouldn't be a issue.

My B-29 has a "lively" feel, but is not annoyingly flexy...until I hook it to a loaded BOB trailer. Flex becomes exagerated when towing the BOB, and it takes a while to get used to it when towing with the B-29 (primary tow bike). Towing with the Titus, I notice a LOT LESS flex.

Ti vs Alum comes down to several issues:

1: do you require special size/geometry considerations?

2: do you want a frame to keep for a decade or will you move on in several years?

3: do little downtube dents in alum and paint scuffs bother you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I spoke w?Titus a few weeks ago.

I called Titus right before X-Mas . The one builder answered the phone. I asked, " what is better Ti vs Alum? With a hard tail he thought they were equal . If built by a good frame builder. He said he would lean towards steel. If life of the frame, paint etc was not a problem. He mentioned full suspension , re : Racer X. He saw difference at all. Due to the suspension. Ti for custom, because it easier to work with than Alum.

I'm 6'1 230 and the Asylum RX is fantastic( very stiff). If I was any taller . A larger size would be needed. XL geometry is on Speedgoat website as well as med.There is over a $ 500.00 difference in price custom vs Asylum.

rider
    homey - The Asylum's great if you want to save $500 over the Racer-X Ti and you don't need custom. Don't slight the Lenz owners, keep it in mind.

rossixc - I'm still debating 80mm vs.100mm on the Asylum. Could you share your thoughts? Currently running the Marz SL at 85mm which is a noodle for 200+ pounder.

mtbr member
    Nice ride! The rear tire clearance looks pretty good; any chance of a closeup to confirm this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not sure why Titus doesn't offer one for a demo. It seems that they could sell more for sure. No doubt there'd be a lot of curious patrons that want to see the "latest development" I bet they's sell a ton of customs. Then they could sell the used demo to me!!

I just took a ride (second ride) on my 293 and it really is a fantastic bike, aside from the frame flex. I didn't notice it so much on my last sugar but after riding a rigid KM for three months, its really obvious. My weight doesn't help at 220+ (235 really). Maybe its the bike for me - probably a lg Asylum or custom Ti bult to the lg sugar's specs... OK I'm awake now.

One concern i have about the Titus is the short travel. I really like the 4" on the sugar - soaks up some serious crud. Do any of you Titus owners consider the 2.85" too little squish?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Asylum-RX

My 2-cents: I've had my Asylum-RX for a few months now. For me, it was the logical choice for XC technical and distance riding (CO), and having just one geared mtb. It bridges the gap between full on full-sus and a hard tail. If you want plush, look else where. The travel is enough for performance riding, both slow and fast, climbing is very very efficient. The only hard-tail I will ride now is my single speed - 29" of course.

featherweight clydesdale
    I'm not sure why Titus doesn't offer one for a demo. It seems that they could sell more for sure.

One concern i have about the Titus is the short travel. I really like the 4" on the sugar - soaks up some serious crud. Do any of you Titus owners consider the 2.85" too little squish?
    My dealings with Titus lead me to believe they are as busy as they want to be.
    The RX is NOT plush and not a good choice if you're primary goal is a cushy ride. Comfort isn't much different than a Thudbuster when seated, however the bike provides amazing confidence at speed. I'm going to try the RX with the Thudbuster one day...

As far as basing the geometry on the Sugar, isn't the Sugar BB too low? I opted for a 12.9" BB height which was slightly taller than the original drawing provided by Titus. My logic behind the taller BB is that there are plenty of 26" bikes with 13.0" BB heights that handle just fine. A 29"er has a longer wheelbase and taller axle heights, and it would be more stable than 26" with similar BB heights. I'd speculate you could go to a 13.25" BBH and still have a great handling/stable bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As far as basing the geometry on the Sugar, isn't the Sugar BB too low? I opted for a 12.9" BB height which was slightly taller than the original drawing provided by Titus. My logic behind the taller BB is that there are plenty of 26" bikes with 13.0" BB heights that handle just fine. A 29"er has a longer wheelbase and taller axle heights, and it would be more stable than 26" with similar BB heights. I'd speculate you could go to a 13.25" BBH and still have a great handling/stable bike.[/QUOTE]

The height of the new sugar BB is 12.4" - I agree though that that could/should be raised some. It is,however, a BIG improvement over the previous years (two years I guess) low BB.

I'm curious to know Titus' turn around times with their special orders.

Here's another Q. On Speedgoat's website not long ago, I remember seeing 3.85" of rear travel advertised for the custom Ti RX shizzle frame - now it says 2.85." Not sure when they made the switch on the ad. Was the 3.85" a typo? Here's a quote on the current Speedgoat ad,"...It responds to the rider's input like a hardtail, but nearly 4" of rear travel lets you hit corners harder, descend faster, carry more speed longer, and push one taller gear.." Nearly 4 inches?? (See: http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...=170&brand=325)

featherweight clydesdale
    I don't remember my wait time exactly, but about 10 weeks rings a bell. I believe Titus rotates between welding Alum and welding Ti, so your time could vary depending on the weld schedule.

The link you provided now says 2.85"...hmmm, that's quick... The 29" RX has always been 2.85". I guess the typo occured from a copying error of the info related to the 26" version.