Tires for street?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tires for street?

I've been riding my '09 Cobia on the road alot lately, an so I was wondering if anyone makes a 29er [mountain bike] road tire

Thanks.
    You've made it this far, man. Don't go gettin' nutty on me now.

Virtus pre nummis
    Try the Schwalbe Big Apples! They have a Kevlar lining which really works! I ran over a nail and that lining stoped the nail from penetrating the tire. That was very impressive to me. They make for a very comfortable ride like having built in shocks. I have close to a 1000 miles on them and they are hardly worn at all! Great tires for street riding!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Do they come in 29?

Virtus pre nummis
    Yes, also in a couple of widths as well! Here is a site that has some really good prices. I paid $45 each last May!
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=16624

mtbr member
    Sweet, thanks!

mtbr member
    I picked up some a set of 700x35C WTB Slickasaurus tires about 6 months ago. They were super cheap, very fast rolling (compared to MTB tires) and are wearing extremely well. The only problem is that they are rock hard and feel very hybrid-like. I'm gonna give the Big Apple a try next. They seem to have a little more "soul" and hopefully feel more like slick MTB tires.

Alaska Turner Mafia

+1 on the Big Apples

Love these tires for urban riding. Smooth rolling and large enough volume for cush on rougher sections, or going over seams and curbs. If you're on a fully rigid rig they're the ticket. So far they're pretty long wearing too.

Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Virtus pre nummis
    I sure am glad to see other people riding those Big Apples! I was at another forum and was really ridiculed for riding those tires because they didn't consider them as real Mountain Bike material! Thanks guys you made my day!

(BTW I qit going to that forum completey! Just a bunch of snobs as I see it)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've heard good things about the Schwalbe Big Apple and Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Right now I am running Vittoria Randonneur tires on my '10 Cobia and they seem to work well. They were recommended at the LBS I bought my bike from. I'm in the midst of building a new set of wheels and will be going with the Schwalbe tires. Not saying the Vittoria are bad, just want to try a few to see a comparison. After I've tried all 3 of these, that will allow me to make a long term decision, or at least have a future comparison basis.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerwolf
    I sure am glad to see other people riding those Big Apples! I was at another forum and was really ridiculed for riding those tires because they didn't consider them as real Mountain Bike material!
    They're not mt biking/trail riding suitable. They're a pavement/touring slick, as I use this bike for summer commuting. For my commuting purposes they're not the fastest but they are the most comfy, plus there's a lot of tire there to protect rims (Anchorage paths can be pretty rough).
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    So you guys think that narrower tires are faster rolling or is there no difference in rolling speed between wide and narrow tires?

Virtus pre nummis
    I think it depends on your weight and what and where your riding. Plus tire pressure has a lot to do with it as well. I find that the higher pressure (i.e. 55PSI) they really roll very fast. I ride surface strees in Dallas which are concrete so I can't speak to how they would ride on asphalt, howevery with the volume of those tires they really ride very smooth!

Keep in mind that they save your knobbys for when you go XCing or DHing. You can really tell the difference when you change over from mtn tires to the Big Apples!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilogy
    So you guys think that narrower tires are faster rolling or is there no difference in rolling speed between wide and narrow tires?
    As a general rule of thumb, narrower is faster as you have a smaller contact patch, and therefore less rolling resistance.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    I'm running these on my street bike...........

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...25&postcount=4

I live to bike
    Looks like everyone beat me to recommending the Schwalbe Big Apple.

'Course, you can run any road tire down to as narrow as your rim will fit. You could probably run as narrow as 700x32 or even 700x28.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I run the wtb slickasaurus. it's pretty cheap like $10 a tire i think nowadays but i had some initial issues with the rear pinching a flat repeatedly. Thought it might be my rim or tire pressure but i never found out. anyways after about 200 miles that stopped and they are fine. pretty quick and smooth rollers too but they are 700x38 i think so it doesn't look like a big mtb tire...

Apr 2007
    I'd say if you like curb hopping, then the Big Apples make sense. But just for riding around, get some 700x38/42 slicks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Big Apple - try to find Liteskin version - its foldable (not so heavy) and has a better compound (same as super moto).

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasselhof
    Big Apple - try to find Liteskin version - its foldable (not so heavy) and has a better compound (same as super moto).

Not to mention the folding Big Apples are 205 grams less per tire in the 29 x 2.35 size (790g compared to 995g). That's a total of 410 grams saved for a pair over the wire bead version, or 410 g = 0.903895 lb. or 14.46 oz

You can order all the Big Apple sizes right here. Of course, the folding version is $25 per tire more than the wire bead. You gotta pay to play....

Yup, they are fun tires. Huge casing, roll fast, and in the lighter folding version, not as watt costing as the 995g wire bead version. They also come in 2.0" width (I've got both) that roll quicker.

It's a lot of meat to push out on the highway, city streets, gravel and pavement, but the grin factor more than makes up for it. Of course, the 700 x 38c tires made by Kenda, Specialized, Schwalbe, etc... are your typical hybrid bike tires which work well on a 29"er. I think my wife prefers to run the wire beaded Specialized Infinity 700 x 38c on her 29"er for the pavement riding/training she does. But they weigh a ton as well... I keep telling her the folding Big Apples are lighter, but she likes the "look" of the Infinity's.

BB

Double-metric mtb man
    If all you are doing is street, I'd say the Continental Ultra Gatorskin or some of the lighter Schwalbe Marathons (Racers or Supremes) are the way to go. The Contis I use are on my Cx bike (700x28) and tip the scale at 320g each for the wire bead. Definitely not an off-road tire, but for getting around town, they are basically a 29x1.1 that can run @ 100psi...very quick for the commute.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a pair of Serfas Drifter City tires. They do come in 29" (29 x 2.0). I only got to try them on pavement a couple of times before the snow/cold arrived, but the tires rolled pretty well and had good traction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Tioga City Slickers 700x38 have worked well for me. Cheap ($18) wide, fairly light, tough. Plus they look pretty cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires for street?-img_1534.jpg.jpeg  

You know, for kids
    29x2.0 Schwalbe Marathon Supreme = 690g with better protection than the Big Apple. The 700x40 version is ~500g. Stickier rubber than the Big Apple, even great in wet weather. I loved my 2.3 Big Apples to bounce around on but for a more zippy feeling I ditched the 1,000g beasts and went for the the under 700g alternative.

Before with the Big Apples...

I actually had a nail go right through the center portion of the tread. It was a roofing nail, and it stayed in there clacking on the pavement until I made it to the bike shop a mile or two away with it not losing too much pressure. Another time some glass made it through to puncture the tube.

After with the 2.0 Marathon Supreme...

I didn't move the fenders at all to give you an idea of the size difference, the 2.0 is more like a small 1.9, but seems likes it has a large volume for it's size with a very round profile.

If you want the most volume and fun go with the Big Apple, but don't be surprised to find them a tad sluggish. I feel faster on the 2.0 Marathon Supreme and more confident when the pavement is wet. I've not had a puncture on the Supremes for over two years now.

I sold the 2.3 Big Apples and the new owner is enjoying them.
    Last edited by madcap; 01-31-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Check out the 29-0 and even XR-1 (400-450 g) if you want something under 700 g ( big smackles) and supple sidewalls.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just put bontrager satellite 700x32 elite hard case... I have a way to big intertube inside from the stock tires I guess is slowing me down. See my ongoing thread...

If I could I would try the race all weater... I would definately go over 32 if you are looking for speed....

Clydesdale 29er
    I mounted a set of Serfas Drifter 29er tires on my second wheel set. I have ridden
    them before on my 26er and loved them. Those tires are now on my wifes bike and
    they are still going strong. I got them ar REI for around $28.
    MxV=Clydesdale

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    (Sunlite/Kenda/Pyramid-all the same tire just sold under different company names) Khan 700x50 tires. Google them up. Sold through J&B dist. at your local bike shop.(J&B #60712 I think) Cost about 15 bucks a pop.Read the comments using the mtbr search at the top of the page.good strong tires for the street.I call them the baby big apples.Less than !/2 the price of the apples and still nice and strong.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Question for the Schwalbe Big Apple crowd: Did you get the 2.0's or 2.35's? I ordered the 2.35 Liteskins mainly because I will start commuting to work.
    -Greg
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29-SL, Truvativ Hammerschmidt, Cannondale Lefty 29er SL w/ DLR (Project321 adaptor). 26 lbs.

Devo
    the choices seem almost endless

I'm really stuck on WTB Vulpines
    I get about 3k miles out of a set
    I did the Eastern Sierra Double on a set

in the last month I rode Monterey to San Luis Obispo on them
    and I'm always amazed how well they work in the dirt

Last year I used a set of Schwalbe Marathon Cross to tour from Portland to Ventura.

and I like these funky creme Fat Franks too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires for street?-img_0766.jpg  

Tires for street?-img_1992.jpg  

Tires for street?-img_4294.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The Big Apple Liteskins arrived. They are, by far, the easiest to mount tubeless that I've experienced so far. Tried them out on a short ride. Very smooth rolling and silent compared to the WTB Weirwolf LT's I was using. 5 Boro Bike Tour, here I come!
    -Greg
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29-SL, Truvativ Hammerschmidt, Cannondale Lefty 29er SL w/ DLR (Project321 adaptor). 26 lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just got some Kenda Kross Plus 700x40c tires from nashbar:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_200524

Something like $8 each, shipped. I went the cheap route because I don't expect to use them too much, and some of that will be on a trainer. I use them on a Dos Niner with a Reba so I also wasn't needing the cush of the Big Apples.
    "whatever bike I'm riding, that's my favorite"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you want some good hybrid tires, go with some Hollyrollers... They roll real nice, keep them at 60-65 and they roll quick and quiet. Decent on hardpack too...

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Urban/Holy-Roller.aspx

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...31_151crx.aspx

Run these on a Werx 7, night and day for street duty..

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm going to hop onto this thread instead of creating a new one.

I hope to go on a biking vacation this June. It's not definitive yet, but I really hope to go. What tires would you guys recommend? Right now I'm using cheapo Kinda Kross Plus 700x40c that crepitus linked in his reply because they were dirt cheap so I thought why not get them just in case. However, I'm thinking I need something better for protection against flats and something that will last me long time.

The biking trip (hopefully, if I can handle this much distance) is going to be at least 500 miles and I hope to put 400-600 miles on them training before the trip. So if I get these tires they must last me at least 1500 miles just to be safe they do not disintegrate on me in the middle of my biking trip. They will be used on a full rigid 29er Sette Razzo, so tire clearance is somewhat of an issue. I weigh 155 pounds or about 70 kilos, plus add another 10 pounds for clothes and gear and I will also be using two pannier racks in front and rear, not sure about load on those pannier racks, but I hope to keep it under 40-60 pounds total. The trip will be over pavement or crushed limestone trails, no offroading/actual mountain biking of any kind.

So to summarize:
    -Need to last at least 1500 miles
    -Will be used on Full Rigid 29er
    -Should fit Sette Razzo frame
    -Should handle up to 250 pounds (about 115kg) load
    -Need to be puncture resistant
    -Rolling resistance is important since we hope to average about 50 miles a day
    -The lighter the better since I do not want to push extra weight
    -Must fit Mavic TN719 rim (recommended tire width for the rim is 1.50"-2.30")

What do you guys recommend? Big Apples Folding Bead LiteSkin? 2.0 or 2.35? Will 2.35 Big Apple even fit Sette Razzo frame? Or Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Folding Bead? If so should I go with 29x2.0 or lighter 700x40c?I'll be saving close to a pound total weight. However, will Schwalbe 700x40c fit on my TN719 rim?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Daniil; 04-30-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Virtus pre nummis
    I just don't understand some of you guys. What difference does it make if a set of tires weighs a pound more on a road trip when you have 80lbs loaded on a bike in panniers? Totally nuts! All this crap about how light you can make your bike, your all just a bunch of pussies as far as I can see! My bike weighs over 40 lbs and I ride it at least 10 miles a day in 15-20MPH headwinds. I never complain about the weight! and I'm 63 years old. Weight weenies!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!

mtbr member
    I just don't understand some of you guys. What difference does it make if a set of tires weighs a pound more on a road trip when you have 80lbs loaded on a bike in panniers? Totally nuts! All this crap about how light you can make your bike, your all just a bunch of pussies as far as I can see! My bike weighs over 40 lbs and I ride it at least 10 miles a day in 15-20MPH headwinds. I never complain about the weight! and I'm 63 years old. Weight weenies!
    way to run in to a conversation with your flamethrower on. Constructive and non-abusive questions generally get better answers

Virtus pre nummis
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    way to run in to a conversation with your flamethrower on. Constructive and non-abusive questions generally get better answers
    Its an afterburner not a flame thrower! And your one of those that I'm talking about boomn! You always have a smart remark to make about everything, so chillout pal!

And for your information I was in this conversation long before you stuck you nose in here!

Apr 2007
    More and more you post, more and more you come off as a douche.

mtbr member
    Its an afterburner not a flame thrower! And your one of those that I'm talking about boomn! You always have a smart remark to make about everything, so chillout pal!

And for your information I was in this conversation long before you stuck you nose in here!
    I'm sorry you view me that way. I've been subscribed to this thread since it started; just trying to soak up the collective knowledge because I've been considering setting up something similar

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I load a lot of **** in my bags.... but on my daily commute Im real happy to save time.... I mean 2 kids, preg wife, working a million hours a week. I love to ride my bike but when I wake up in the morning if I can sleep 10 more minutes thats awsome. Tires have rotational mass.... or whatever... weight in the tires is a little bit of a pain in the ass ... not much... but if you can cut down 3-5 minuts on a 27 minute commute thats 15 minutes on a 1:15min commute..

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    And I like my durable moutain bike I think road bikes are gay. : )

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I was really debating if I should even answer at all. You must be one mean AARP member to ride that fast in headwinds. With strong headwinds I slow down to below 7-8 miles an hour.

Anyway. Weight does matter. I'm usually not the one to count ounces, but weight does matter. My Sette Razzo is a lot lighter than my RacerX 29er and it rides noticeably faster and easier despite the actual weight difference of maybe 4-5 pounds. I haven't actually weighed anything, but I'm guesstimating that my wheelset weighs as much as the frame and fork (I still got to change to rigid fork next week). And a lot of that weight is rotational weight. I'm not going to buy XTR/XX components because I can't afford it, but if I can save a pound while paying the same price for a lighter tire, I will.

I'm an amateur, and if this trip ever happens, I'm sure there will be moments on the trip when I'll regret ever taking it. It will be extremely stressful on me, and I want to make sure I'm ready for it, and my bike is ready for it so that I can actually enjoy it instead of wishing I was home.

Virtus pre nummis
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    More and more you post, more and more you come off as a douche.

I guess maybe I am a douche! But since that is your opinion, you know what they say about opinions! I stand by what I say! If you are a ***** you're a *****! Nothing else to say! another old saying "If the shoe fits, wear it"

Now I don't know who you are, and I don't give a damn! But maybe you ought to take a look in a mirror. You have a tendency to run you mouth (via the computer keyboard) when you should be engaging your brain first!

mtbr member
    I guess maybe I am a douche! But since that is your opinion, you know what they say about opinions! I stand by what I say! If you are a ***** you're a *****! Nothing else to say! another old saying "If the shoe fits, wear it"

Now I don't know who you are, and I don't give a damn! But maybe you ought to take a look in a mirror. You have a tendency to run you mouth (via the computer keyboard) when you should be engaging your brain first!
    It's time for your meds Grandpa Simpson.

Members who have read this thread: 0