Tire widths- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire widths

Dec 2005

Tire widths

Whats a good way to compare a metric width like 42mm to inches, is that about 1.75? I see Maxxis makes some hybrid tires, specifically the Wormdrive, which I'd like to try for hardpack or logging road races.
    I guess I'm trying to find a fast tire for adventure races where it's less single track or rough conditions and basically just off-road.

mtbr member

conversion factor

when going from mm to inches, divide by 25.4. When going from inches to mm, multiply by 25.4. 42mm=1.65 inches.

Dec 2005

So.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    when going from mm to inches, divide by 25.4. When going from inches to mm, multiply by 25.4. 42mm=1.65 inches.
    I guess I'd have to find a hybrid or cyclo cross tire around 53mm, not likely.

mtbr member

Bontrager Jones XR

are available in 1.8" widths.

EDIT: 53mm/25.4=2.0 inches.
    Last edited by Nater; 02-13-2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Info

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by atl-dad
    I guess I'd have to find a hybrid or cyclo cross tire around 53mm, not likely.
    I do not understand. Get the width you want in a 700c/29" tire. It is the 622mm bead seat diameter that matters in which tire will fit on the rim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The metric to english conversion is 25.4mm/inch however that doesn't seem to directly translate in to tire sizes. I've seen tires labeled 26x1 and 559x28, 26x1.75 and 559x47 (1.85"), etc.
    It seems manufactures round to a size that sounds good or something.
    If you want a 53mm then look for a 29x2.1 or 29x2.0.
    Craig

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by CBBaron
    The metric to english conversion is 25.4mm/inch however that doesn't seem to directly translate in to tire sizes. I've seen tires labeled 26x1 and 559x28, 26x1.75 and 559x47 (1.85"), etc.
    It seems manufactures round to a size that sounds good or something.
    If you want a 53mm then look for a 29x2.1 or 29x2.0.
    Craig
    Always take stated tire widths with a grain of salt, even when you aren't attempting to convert between Metric and English. I've seen 2.2s from one maker that are smaller than 2.0s from another, and I've seen 700x42s from one that are no bigger than 700x38s from another.

To answer your question more directly, no there are NO hybrid or cyclocross tires in the 2.3 range (unless you make one yourself, as I have done, by shaving the knobs off an offroad tire ... takes about 45 minutes). But the Bontrager XR 1.8 (as already mentioned) is probably a good choice for a fast-rolling fireroad tire that still has decent volume. I will probably pick one up once summer rolls around here.

The Maxxis WormDrive is an extremely fast tire that still has a little bit of offroad capability -- in fact, it's my commute tire and I have two of them mounted on my KM -- but it's also pretty small at 700x40 (about 1.6).

The Ritchey ZED 700x42 or IRC Mythos Slick 700x42 are noticeably bigger and may still work well, with more grip and a bit more rolling resistance.

The Schwalbe Black Jack is also one of my favorites in this group, officially 1.7 or 1.8 (can't remember) and equivalent to most other companies' 700x45s in size. At 650g it's a bit heavy for its size, but it rolls very well and grips as well as most full knobbies in every offroad situation where I've tried it. Truly scary-bad on wet pavement though, in case you were considering using it as a commuter tire.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 02-14-2006 at 09:38 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    The Ritchey ZED 700x42 or IRC Mythos Slick 700x42 are noticeably bigger and may still work well, with more grip and a bit more rolling resistance.
    I have taken my Mythos Slicks out a few times now in dry conditions with a bit of mud here and there in the canyons. While there were a few times that a larger tire would have been more confidence inspiring, every ride was a blast. Add to that the ride to the trail, which involves more climbing than any of the trails I have been on so far with my 29er, being much more easy due to the smoother rider and smaller profile and I really like mine.

Of course when it comes time to get a lift up to Lake Tahoe and tackle the Flume Trail, then it will be time for a bit beefier ride.

I would note that due to the smaller size you also need a bit more pressure than you would otherwise. Not a big deal to me, but perhaps for some others.

Members who have read this thread: 0