Tire Suggestions please for rear wheel.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tire Suggestions please for rear wheel.

Hey All,

Am changing up my tires on my Tallboy and want to put some more aggressive all around tires on. Something that will be good for riding in most conditions while still rolling at least okay.

Am partial to the Maxxis Ardent and am thinking of using that up front...not sure if 2.25 or 2.4? I am mostly an aggressive XC guy who wants to be a bit more aggressive.

As for rear...have used Larsen TT on 26er in past. Currently have Maxxis Ikon and Crossmark that have used on 29er. Not sure what to use (one of them or new tire altogether) and would appreciate suggestions.

thanks

Eric
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ardent 2.4 up front / Geax 2.2 Saguro in the rear. Nice rolling dry conditions combo. They pack up when it gets wet though.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in front and Maxxis Aspen in the rear.

mtbr member
    Eric, I would throw the Ikon you already have on the rear. It has better climbing and braking traction than the CrossMark. Be careful to keep the sidewall off of rocks if you don't have the EXO version, though.

More aggressive options would be the Ignitor and the Ardent 2.25.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Apr 2007
    Geax Saguaro. Dry here, so not sure how they do in the wet--if that's a concern for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell
    Eric, I would throw the Ikon you already have on the rear. It has better climbing and braking traction than the CrossMark. Be careful to keep the sidewall off of rocks if you don't have the EXO version, though.

More aggressive options would be the Ignitor and the Ardent 2.25.
    You sure it has more braking traction? I like the tire but felt that the braking traction was bit dicey...especially when on hard pack with a loose surface. Though most things suck in those conditions regardless i guess. Will have to try that combo though as most braking will come from Ardent anyway.

Put Crossmarks back on today as tore a side wall on one of my Ikons (non exo). They feel like they have a bit more grip...but I am far from an expert.

Anyone else have opinion?

thanks again for advice.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

turtles make me hot
    I was singing praise to the Geax Saguaro in another thread. It has good wet traction for me. Today, I finally managed to find it's traction limit. Not too bad, but it slid sideways a little on sand over hardpack. I'm not too broken up about it. I think any tire would have slid there.
    Anyway, the Geax and an Ardent is a sound combo.
    I like turtles

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I don't like the Saguaros when wet or damp, but they do shine when dry. A great all around tire that is decently fast and won't kill you when wet is the Captain.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Rode with a Captain Control 2.2" on the back and a Purgatory Control 2.2" on the front up in your area (MdO) a couple weeks ago and they performed quite well. I was very pleased with the traction, especially when descending Barranca and climbing up East Boundary from the Islay side.

mtbr member

29r tires

The Panaracer Rampage is by far the best cornering front tire I have found and believe me I have tried many and I put the Schwalbe Racing Ralph on back for light weight which is more important for the rear. I use this combo on my Niner Rip9 and works well everywhere.

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010

IGNITOR 2.1 all the way- throw it away or sell at 60% tread

I think the Rampage is an awesome tire(same tread as nevegal I fell in love with on 26 inch squish bike) but the Rampage is heavy. I got Ignitors on used niner and was blown away and they are light at that size. Tamarancho, and poacher Tam trails have some razor sharp side rocks imbedded in the ground that could slice this tire. But if you slice a Shwalbe you are out $80 w/ tax and shipping. The Ignitor opened my mind to small tread desighns and am now trying Python tubeless ready on UST rims on one bike-keeping the Ignitors on winter bike single speed.

Members who have read this thread: 0