tire rubs on fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

tire rubs on fork

It only happens under threshold braking followed by a turn. My 2.35 rampage is rubbing on the reba (2005). Seems like it's happening a lot more after i switched to a flow rim and no tube. Anyone else had this problem?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Flow rim would increase the tyre size and make the tyre less stable on the rim so that would make sense.

Check your spoke tension if thats tight enough then it's smaller tyre time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have an 08/09 reba team with a flow and rampages and nothing. I wonder if the wheel is flxing too much. Check tension like Turv said.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Tension is good. I was thinking the QR interface was letting it flex too much with the much increased grip of wider rim+tubeless.

Harmonius Wrench
    I have had tire rub on the brake arch with P-35 and Gordo rims with 2.4"ers mounted. Obviously, a set up that is on the far end of the spectrum, but Manitou and Fox clear these combos fine.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I guess that is possible. I have the 20mm Maxle on mine. Seems like a bit of flex. can you tell which side is rubbing? when you are turning in a direction??
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My 2.4 RR on Flow's rubs on my Reba Team when i turn, but not on my Fox. When i mount it on my Crest it clears the Reba.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just created the same problem. Put together a Jabberwocky with a Reba RLT fork with Flow rims and a 2.4" Ardent. Not much tire clearance in fork. Tire only rubs on left side on the zip-tie holding cable down, and only rubs when pedalling hard.

Hub was initially set up for a standard QR. I changed to a 9mm RWS that I already had - tire still rubs. Could be spoke tension is not right, but will put on narrower tire as soon as I can get one.

mtbr member
    I believe those older Rebas had more tire clearance than the current ones, which means something is definitely strange. A wider rim should support the sidewall better than a narrower rim and do more to prevent folding (at similar pressures)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well looking at it closely it's rubbing on left side on these 2 right hand turns. Both are at the bottom of a hill. Now when I look closer I think the wheel is off center. Checked the dish and it seems good. Can the lowers be bent?

Harmonius Wrench
    My wheels seem offset to the left slightly on the Reba Team I have and the zip tie rubs easily, but it will also rub the brace without the zip tie in out of the saddle climbing or cornering hard to the right.

I have tried a Gordo/Purgatory, Gordo/Dissent, Gordo/Kodiak, and Ardent/P-35 combinations which all have done the same thing.
    The Manitou and Fox are fine, and do not show the offset to the left at all. It is a very slight offset, but with the big tires and rims, it creates a rub.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    I think the the slots for the axle are not machined or manufactured correctly. My wheels can rub also. My wheel always looks offset, even though the dish is correct. I use a DT Swiss axle and can drop one side just a hair and straighten the wheel. However I feel that it is not wise or safe.

Plays with tools
    I don't know what hub your running but try sticking a thru bolt in their to stiffen up the fork.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I guess I never paid attention before to notice the off center wheel but have to say the bike is flying with these new wheels. If there is a flow fan club I'd like to join it.

I'm running the ztr heavy duty hub with QR adapter and steel DT skewer.

I ended up just putting my iPod on and I can't hear the rub anymore.

Members who have read this thread: 0