Tire recomendations for a 4 day stage race?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tire recomendations for a 4 day stage race?

Yeah, I know, another tire thread! I can't seem to be able to decide what tires to run. I am doing a 4 day stage race in the Catskills at the end of June, and would like to get some new tires beforehand. The race is the Wildcat Epic, a first year race put on by the Genesis Adventures people (www.wildcatepic.com). The course descriptions are a little vague still, but it will include some road riding, some gravel road/doubletrack/fireroad type stuff and some technical singletrack. And plenty of climbing. I am looking for something that will roll well, has enough volume to smooth out the rough stuff, has enough traction to make it up the steep slippery stuff, has enough sidewall strength so I don't get stranded 20 miles out, and hopefully doesn't weigh a ton! I know, that is asking a lot, so I will take as many as I can get!

I guess if I had to rate the above requirements, from most to least important, the list would look like this:

Rolling resistance
    Volume
    Sidewall strength
    traction
    weight

Bike is a full rigid 29er setup with and Alfine hub and Flow rims. I am about 190 all suited up. My normal trail tires are a set of Halo Choir Master, which I really like, but they are getting a little worn out and are a little slow and heavy. I actually bought a set of Racing Ralph 2.4s a little while ago and ran one over the winter, but the sidewalls scare me for this kind of event. Otherwise they would seem like the perfect tire.

Other tires I was thinking of: Bontrager XDX TLR, Hutchinson Python, Specialized Captain, Geax Suguarro (SP?). Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    I actually bought a set of Racing Ralph 2.4s a little while ago and ran one over the winter, but the sidewalls scare me for this kind of event. Otherwise they would seem like the perfect tire.
    My Racing Ralph 2.4 (front tire) has worn like iron and has outlasted two rear tires lost to sidewall cuts (a Nanoraptor and a Crossmark). Until you prove it to yourself otherwise, consider the Racing Ralph the perfect tire. What's the worst that could happen? You cut a sidewall, boot it with a powerbar wrapper (or a piece of foil you brought along in the bottom of your kit -- you do have a piece there, don't you?), slap in a tube, finish the stage, and then swap-out the tire with the spare of your choice before the next race. Been there, done that. My bottom line -- the Ralph is the perfect tire, at least when set up tubeless with ghetto-Stan's and when riding in the Rocky Mountains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hmmmm...I might have to sign up for that race.
    Tire pick will be tough. That area has sticky clay(picture axle grease), shale and hard pack.
    If it rains, which it does a lot in that area, it will probably be a greasy slog fest.
    I was at the Nat'l at Hunter back in the early 90's where everybody had to walk a lot of the course....the grease was unrideable.
    If I go, I'm bringing Karma 1.9's, Spec Captain 2.0's...and maybe a 3rd set of something.

Hmmm...just checked the site and entry closed as of 4/30...but bikereg shows that there were no entrys????
    bikeny,,,did you pre enter?
    Last edited by the mayor; 05-06-2009 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthrope
    My Racing Ralph 2.4 (front tire) has worn like iron and has outlasted two rear tires lost to sidewall cuts (a Nanoraptor and a Crossmark). Until you prove it to yourself otherwise, consider the Racing Ralph the perfect tire. What's the worst that could happen? You cut a sidewall, boot it with a powerbar wrapper (or a piece of foil you brought along in the bottom of your kit -- you do have a piece there, don't you?), slap in a tube, finish the stage, and then swap-out the tire with the spare of your choice before the next race. Been there, done that. My bottom line -- the Ralph is the perfect tire, at least when set up tubeless with ghetto-Stan's and when riding in the Rocky Mountains.
    You make some good points. Maybe I will put a RR on the front, where torn sidewalls are less common (for me anyway). Now I need to decide on a rear tire. I am leaning toward the Bontrager XDX or the Specialized The Captain.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    Hmmmm...I might have to sign up for that race.
    Tire pick will be tough. That area has sticky clay(picture axle grease), shale and hard pack.
    If it rains, which it does a lot in that area, it will probably be a greasy slog fest.
    I was at the Nat'l at Hunter back in the early 90's where everybody had to walk a lot of the course....the grease was unrideable.
    If I go, I'm bringing Karma 1.9's, Spec Captain 2.0's...and maybe a 3rd set of something.

Hmmm...just checked the site and entry closed as of 4/30...but bikereg shows that there were no entrys????
    bikeny,,,did you pre enter?
    Yeah, they had a whole pre-registration thing earlier this year. I would just E-mail them at [email protected], I'm sure they still have open spots.

Mark

mtbr member
    I'd say Bontrager XDX 2.1" on both ends.

IIRC, the Racing Ralph isn't known for sidewall strength.

mtbr member
    I'm running the RR front and back on my vassago rigid SS - I love the 2.4 for the front and the 2.2 on the rear has been ok, but am looking for something with more traction out back.
    I haven't had any issues with sidewalls, but I ride mostly hardback with loose stuff on top...not a lot of rock gardens or sharp shale like you probably have out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0