Tire Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire Help

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Tire Help

Alright here's the deal: I'm looking for a tire that can deal with more aggressive riding, i.e. I need a tire that corners well. Right now I have maxxis ignitors and find myself blowing through them in turns pretty routinely. They are going on an Origin 8 Scout. This is my first 29er so I would like to skip the learning curve and just get people's idea of what works well. there are alot of tires out there but they all seem to be more oriented to straight ahead speed more than cornering, riding trails speed, imo. If anyone has any suggestions for a more aggressive oriented tire I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

Rider and Wrench
    What type of terrain you ride would be helpful, but in general I think there are alot of tires that offer more cornering grip (up front anyway) than an Ignitor. Of course the reason most riders like this tire is because it is a decent mix of fast rolling and good traction.

Without loosing too much speed the Ardent should offer more front end stability (not a much taller tread just better steering IMO). If you want to go even further you could try a Rampage or even a Nevgal (a bit SLOW but grippy). There are more out there but I am sure other's with more experience with them can offer better hands on details.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ride a good mix of things. I am willing to give up lowered rolling resistance for something that is a little grippier. I have run the nevegal in the 26" version as a front tire and was not a huge fan, though it looks like it might be on the more aggresive end of this particular genre. I am happy with the back tires performance, it;s just the fronts lack of grip that gets me.

Rider and Wrench
    I tried so many 26" tires from Nevgals to Schwalbe NN, RR, FA, Ignitors, SM 8's, Pythons, WTB Weirwolfs etc... There are may more and I am sure others that have tried even more but I have found that 26" designs don't always translate into the same tire in 29"- for me the Nevgal in 26" was a decent all around tire but in 29" it is just too much tire for where I ride (MD, PA, DE- Rocky/rooty etc....) I have a set that I may use this winter if needed.

So overall I look to a lower/less aggressive tread in a 29er tire to get similar traction on the terrain I ride. For your wants I would look at the Rampage- you can get 2 on the [email protected] for like ~$60 shipped (at least a few weeks ago) and they offer quite a bit of bite. If you are not leaning towards a Nevgal you could also take a look at a WTB Stout which makes a good aggressive front tire- not the greatest on wet root./rocks but very good and grippy overall-

They are the ones I am somewhat familiar with but hopefully some other's can chime in with more-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by wncunderground
    Right now I have maxxis ignitors and find myself blowing through them in turns pretty routinely.
    Same here. So far they have worked pretty good as a rear tire though.

The Bontrager 29-3 has my attention right now - based on this review -

http://twentynineinches.com/2009/07/...-final-review/

The front is big and fat, got a positive review, and any Trek dealer can order them in. So that's three things it's got going for it right there.

Happy hunting
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    May 2007
    WTB Prowler SL is a pretty darn good all-rounder. Definitely recommend running in reverse on the rear for added traction. Heck, the one I have on the rear right now is darn near bald and I'm still amazed at the traction it has.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

rider
    Jan 2005
    The Panaracer Rampage is a very good all around 29er tire. It is pretty much true 2.35 tire as labeled and rolls good for it's size.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Members who have read this thread: 0