Tire has a blister- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Tire has a blister

Took my bike out and noticed I had a flat. The tire is a Bontrager 29-3 TLR and is about a month old and is ran tubeless. When I put air back in the tire I noticed it had a big bump that was leaking air. I took the tire off and did not see a hole on the inside of the tire. i dont no if this is a two ply tire or not but almost seems that the tire is coming apart between the plys. I also noticed a few other soft spots that look like the beginning of new blisters. Do you think this is a defective tire or what? I run a tube in it today and now in the process of trying to seal it up with some stans. Has anybody had this happen before.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just checked on them and now its a breakout

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's likely a manufacturer's defect. I wouldn't ride that with or without a tube. You'd probably be OK but its a great way to flat and risk damaging your rim. Your LBS should be able to help you out with it. I'd assume that the OEM would at least give you a break on teh replacement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Plus, I didnt pay extra money for a TLR tire to run a tube in it.

mtbr member
    If your LBS doesn't help, I would send some photos to Bontrager. Looks like a defect to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My LBS is about a forty minute drive, so I sent an email with some pics. I will keep everyone updated, there response will go a long way in determining if I ever buy another Bontrager tire again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    got a new tire no problem,

mtbr member

I've seen this before.

On a friend running Specialized Captains. The LBS where he bought them replaced them at no charge. I never did hear about the cause but he was running tubeless with Stans.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    my wtb's did it so bad the carcass came apart. anyone have any luck dealing with wtb and this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So I got my 29-3 tire replaced with an XDX, been running the XDX on the rear with my other 29-3 on the front. I really like this tire combo, but this morning I noticed my 29-3 was flat, pumped it up and blisters. So this is my second 29-3 that has blistered. My dealer has closed down so I guess I am sol on getting this one replaced. I really like this tire but not sure if I am willing to buy another one.

mtbr member
    What's the verdict on this? I called up my LBS and after 30 days, no warranty. I hear it's common with Maxxis tires??

Members who have read this thread: 0