Tire: fast, High volume, tubeless, strong sidewalls- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Tire: fast, High volume, tubeless, strong sidewalls

I am 200lb guy who rides fairly aggressive and sloppy on a RIP9. I have stans rims, but I keep having the air burp out of my tires. Last night it resulted in a bad crash. I was running a Maxxus Ignitor tubeless, but there was a slow leak and the pressure got low.

I participate in Races, but I do not race in them.
    I live in Richmond VA
    I do not want to deal with flats.
    I will only one set of tires.

Basically, I think want a tubless ready tire that is 2.3 yet still has a somewhat fast rolling resistance.

Does this tire exist?

If so what is it?

Rider and Wrench
    I would think you might like the Specialized Fasttrack out back and a captain up front- in the control flavor- they are available in tubeless ready fairly light, fairly fast etc... Stay away from the s-works though

I am not a fan of the Ignitor but do run an Ardent 2.25 or 2.4 up front and an ardent 2.25 or Crossmark out back converted on some stans Arch and Flows-

For a one pair do it all set-up the Ardent out back is nice and should be tougher than the Ignitor or crossmark. Up fornt the 2.25 Ardent does require you to lay the bike over a bit since they do not have much in terms of transition knobs- the 2.4 is very grippy, has super tough sidewalls and is faster than it looks or weighs-

The Geax is nice but the tubeless ready version does not play nice with stans rims- great rear tire and tough-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

good ol dog dreams
    Apr 2004
    I just put a Specialized Captain 2.2 Control on the back and love it. Not sure on the front since I run a big meaty 2.4 Purgatory but the Captain would probably be ok in the front too. Both have good volume. If I rode a RIP I'd go with the Purgatory front/ Captain rear combo. The control 2bliss ready can also be installed with a floor pump on Stan's rims which is a bonus to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMoth
    I just put a Specialized Captain 2.2 Control on the back and love it. Not sure on the front since I run a big meaty 2.4 Purgatory but the Captain would probably be ok in the front too. Both have good volume. If I rode a RIP I'd go with the Purgatory front/ Captain rear combo. The control 2bliss ready can also be installed with a floor pump on Stan's rims which is a bonus to me.

I had a captian 2bliss and the sidwalls did not seem that sturdy.

Maybe I am asking to much of my tires

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbrox
    I had a captian 2bliss and the sidwalls did not seem that sturdy.

Maybe I am asking to much of my tires

Do you know if they were "control" or "S-Works" ? it can make quite a difference in the sidewall

Check out the Ardent 2.4 it has one of the beefiest sidewalls out there for a 29er tire that I have seen- Much faster than a Nevegal and Rampage and in a similar weight area-

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ardent 2.25, or if you're willing to slow things down a bit for more grip and cush then 2.4. I'd also say the racing ralph snakeskin 2.25, but I'm guessing it'll be slightly less durable than the ardent and more $$$.

bicycle rider
    I wouldn't say they are are fast, but I love Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 tires on Stans Flow rims tubeless at 28-30psi front / 30-32psi rear. I'm 208. I ride all kinds of crazy stuff on those tires, catch air, hit big roots and rocks in the dark, go too fast, etc. I plan on racing on Racing Ralph 2.25 snakeskins however.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    Do you know if they were "control" or "S-Works" ? it can make quite a difference in the sidewall

Check out the Ardent 2.4 it has one of the beefiest sidewalls out there for a 29er tire that I have seen- Much faster than a Nevegal and Rampage and in a similar weight area-
    control 2bliss

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    Ardent 2.25, or if you're willing to slow things down a bit for more grip and cush then 2.4. I'd also say the racing ralph snakeskin 2.25, but I'm guessing it'll be slightly less durable than the ardent and more $$$.

OK, you guys are selling me on the Ardent, but why no UST?

should I be stressed out about running the ardent tubless on a stans rim.

Remember, I am not 170lbs and after I slug up a hill I do not want to hold back going down

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Bontrager 2.1" XDX. Big, fast, tough, actually tubeless.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    i'd give a look to bontrager 29-3 2.25 TLR. fast and not too heavy, the TLR tires are intended to work well tubeless.

Rider and Wrench
    OK, you guys are selling me on the Ardent, but why no UST?

should I be stressed out about running the ardent tubless on a stans rim.

Remember, I am not 170lbs and after I slug up a hill I do not want to hold back going down
    I feel your pain- but I think you'll be in good shape-

UST tires for 29ers are a bit of an enigma- a few of them out there but not too many, mostly tubeless ready- lots of threads out there that disect this in detail... Too heavy? not enough market... ?? what ever the reason it is what it is for now-

I ride MD/PA single track and go ~210 with gear, I run a set of Stans arches and a set of Flows- I have tried way too many tires and still like the Ardents best especially for my full susser rig- for most of what and how I ride-
    I have had no burps or tubeless issues with the Ardents even on my rigid ride which can sometimes put a hurting on a wheel and tire with a 200+ pound rider-

2.25 Ardent- Ok front but again not much in terms of transition knobs so you may feel a bit sketchy until you lay it over enough to catch the side knobs. It works well as a rear for an all season tire fairly tough, fairly fast and not too heavy- I use it up front during the summer when the trails are mostly dry or at least not sloppy with a Crossmark out back -

2.4 Ardent- I like it as a front tire but more than I need out back for my full susser- it has a much thicker sidewall and beefier tread than the 2.25- not just a bigger version- It is not light about the same weight as a Nevgal but does not feel as slow-

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I feel your pain- but I think you'll be in good shape-

UST tires for 29ers are a bit of an enigma- a few of them out there but not too many, mostly tubeless ready- lots of threads out there that disect this in detail... Too heavy? not enough market... ?? what ever the reason it is what it is for now-

I ride MD/PA single track and go ~210 with gear, I run a set of Stans arches and a set of Flows- I have tried way too many tires and still like the Ardents best especially for my full susser rig- for most of what and how I ride-
    I have had no burps or tubeless issues with the Ardents even on my rigid ride which can sometimes put a hurting on a wheel and tire with a 200+ pound rider-

2.25 Ardent- Ok front but again not much in terms of transition knobs so you may feel a bit sketchy until you lay it over enough to catch the side knobs. It works well as a rear for an all season tire fairly tough, fairly fast and not too heavy- I use it up front during the summer when the trails are mostly dry or at least not sloppy with a Crossmark out back -

2.4 Ardent- I like it as a front tire but more than I need out back for my full susser- it has a much thicker sidewall and beefier tread than the 2.25- not just a bigger version- It is not light about the same weight as a Nevgal but does not feel as slow-
    So maybe I could run my ignitor in the back with a tube and get the ardent 2.4 for the front

Or should I just suck it up and go 2.25 ardent back, 2.4 rear?

Rider and Wrench
    So maybe I could run my ignitor in the back with a tube and get the ardent 2.4 for the front

Or should I just suck it up and go 2.25 ardent back, 2.4 rear?

I guess it depends on what you feel like spending cash wise righ now and if you get pinch flats often? You could just give the Ardent 2.4 a try up front and see how you like it-

Here's the 2.1 Crossmark out back and the 2.25 Ardent up front from a set-up I had last summer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    +1 for Specialized 2Bliss Captain Control 2.2. (Marked 2.2, but looks and rides larger.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am having quite the time on my Gaex Saguaros.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Aggressive and sloppy, that's me. I friggen hate flats and try to ride the fastest tire I can get away with considering my limited skills. I am the self appointed e-expert on tough day-in, day-out tires. I've tried and flatted many tubeless tires and ditched others with wimpy sidewalls. I have not tried the Ardents. The XDXs are fast but fragile and still should be named Dry Xs for good reason. The short answer is:

1. Dry - TNT Saguaros. I have beat the stink out of these tires and they haven't flinched. They will kill you when it's wet.
    2. Do everything - Bonty FR3 up front, Captain 2.2 Armadillo in the rear. Both are pretty darn fast considering the amount of traction they offer and you won't die if the trails are damp. I run this combo in the late fall/winter/spring.

Periodically, I'll develop the urge to try something newer and lighter, but then I'll have a PTSD flashback like flatting twice during a ride then racing to pick up my kid in time or changing a flat on a muck covered bike in subzero weather.

boba fett on a bike
    I would think you might like the Specialized Fasttrack out back and a captain up front- in the control flavor- they are available in tubeless ready fairly light, fairly fast etc... Stay away from the s-works though
    This is how I have my 2008 Epic Comp 26er setup. It came with the Fast Traks which I love, but I didn't feel like I had enough grip so I changed the front to the Captain. FYI - I'm heavy right now at 235 lbs (my idea weight would be 200-210 lbs). I stole the idea shopping new 2010 Epics and this is what they run.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon
    Aggressive and sloppy, that's me. I friggen hate flats and try to ride the fastest tire I can get away with considering my limited skills. I am the self appointed e-expert on tough day-in, day-out tires. I've tried and flatted many tubeless tires and ditched others with wimpy sidewalls. I have not tried the Ardents. The XDXs are fast but fragile and still should be named Dry Xs for good reason. The short answer is:

1. Dry - TNT Saguaros. I have beat the stink out of these tires and they haven't flinched. They will kill you when it's wet.
    2. Do everything - Bonty FR3 up front, Captain 2.2 Armadillo in the rear. Both are pretty darn fast considering the amount of traction they offer and you won't die if the trails are damp. I run this combo in the late fall/winter/spring.

Periodically, I'll develop the urge to try something newer and lighter, but then I'll have a PTSD flashback like flatting twice during a ride then racing to pick up my kid in time or changing a flat on a muck covered bike in subzero weather.
    I agree the TNT Geax Saguaros are a tough tire tire but I don't think they play too nice with Stans ZTR rims- Maybe I am wrong but I think there was a number of threads talking about this-

Natural body armor
    I had bad luck with Specialized LT Fast Track and sliced all kind of sidewalls (s-works, control, even armadillo tires) so I cannot recommend them, even though the warranty is great and got the tire replaced every time.

At 200# I don't think tubes are an option, at least I know they are not for me.
    I'm loving the Maxxis Ignitor, I use them (rear) on a converted WTB rim with Stans strip.

No leaking, no burping, usually running less than 30psi, even 25psi. Should be even better on Stan's rims..

The rampage 2.4 is a great do all tire (in the front),
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Yeh..you're right. The FR3s are heavy and there have not been many posts discussing them but they seem to be tough. I have not run one in the rear. ZT - are you referring to the 26in armadillos?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon
    Yeh..you're right. The FR3s are heavy and there have not been many posts discussing them but they seem to be tough. I have not run one in the rear. ZT - are you referring to the 26in armadillos?
    The FR3 is heavy in the 60tpi version(1035 grams) but only 880 grams in the 120tpi version. I recently mounted the 60tpi version on my Behemoth, and the sidewalls are like 3 times as thick as the ones on my ripped out Rampage tire. Here is a couple pics.

mtbr member
    I've got 2500 problem-free miles on Geax Saguaro tires (standard folding type, not TNT) on Arch rims. I'm 225 lbs and mainly a XC rider. Run them at 30 psi (and lower if I go without airing up for a while...)

mtbr member
    Go for one of the Bontrager offerings, their TLR casings are sweet, pick 120 TPI if you are watching the weight and 60 TPI if all you're worried about is strength and durability. Love the TLR's, they inflate using a hand pump on Flows and hold air without sealant and sidewalls are tough - my experience with a MudX TLR 120 TPI casing. Have the XR TLR F&R for the dry season and when I want somethign really fast, looking at getting 1 of the 29-4 and 29-3 TLR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

I like wheelies
    I run the Saguaro TNT's on Archs, and they were mighty tight going on, but once the bead is stretched a little they are fine.

My weight is between 145-150 and I've been inching the pressure down from 25psi, running on a full rigid bike. They have a good mixture of volume and speed for my needs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lunatic fringe
    I've got 2500 problem-free miles on Geax Saguaro tires (standard folding type, not TNT) on Arch rims. I'm 225 lbs and mainly a XC rider. Run them at 30 psi (and lower if I go without airing up for a while...)
    Yup, same weight as you, same tires. I am amazed how well they roll at such low pressures on hard packed. We have a lot of rocks around here, so I've gotten away with 28psi tubeless.

Members who have read this thread: 0