Tire clearance suggestion from all you Monstercross lovers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tire clearance suggestion from all you Monstercross lovers

I am building custom frame for an MX to serve as a road commuter, off-road adventurer and gravel churner.

I am looking for input:

1) What tire clearance would you recommend?
    2) What is your favorable all-around tire combo?

Thanks for any one that takes the time...

mtbr member
    I would go for enough clearance to run a small 29er tire. That way you'll have plenty of room for fenders with big cross or road tires, as well as being able to use real off road rubber.

I've really liked Ritchey Speedmax 40c tires on my cross check. They're cheap and do everything reasonably well. I also really like my Maxxis Wormdrive 45c's, but they are too big to run with fenders on my bike.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If building custom, I wouldn't skimp on tire clearance. I have a cross check and switch between the Bonty Jones 1.8s for off-road and a set of Hutchinson Globetrotter 700x42c for road cushioning. Given that Surly specs. the CC clearance at 45, I wouldn't go any lower than that. MAybe even bump it up to accept a 1.9 or 2.0 29er tire?
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My Quiring (you can see it on his website under firefighter monstercross) was built to accommodate 2.0's, which it does with some room to spare. I've run 1.8 and 1.5's on it- nice to have some mud room. Panaracer Fire Cross 45's are the rubber of choice for me. I also went with canti studs instead of disc mounts just for fun.

mtbr member
    Go with some full size 29x2.0 Small Block 8s.
    Handles full out single track, and is a dingle-speed fixed-gear. One road gear, one off-road gear.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire clearance suggestion from all you Monstercross lovers-13846_185717478817_661458817_2827214_2118614_n.jpg  

Tire clearance suggestion from all you Monstercross lovers-13846_185717488817_661458817_2827215_6149254_n.jpg  

Tire clearance suggestion from all you Monstercross lovers-13846_185717493817_661458817_2827216_7104640_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I run the 1.8" Bonty on my LHT occasionally. Its a good tire. And the similar 45mm Panaracer Firecross is too. But if you want some real choice for knobbies, you probably want clearance up to 2.1" at least. That would also let you run some fat slicks, like a Schwable Big Apple, with fenders. Good luck with the build. Sounds like fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I run the 1.8" Bonty on my LHT occasionally. Its a good tire. And the similar 45mm Panaracer Firecross is too. But if you want some real choice for knobbies, you probably want clearance up to 2.1" at least. That would also let you run some fat slicks, like a Schwable Big Apple, with fenders. Good luck with the build. Sounds like fun.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    Go with some full size 29x2.0 Small Block 8s.
    Handles full out single track, and is a dingle-speed fixed-gear. One road gear, one off-road gear.

Nice bike but thats not a MC. Just a 29er with drop bars.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Does the label really matter?
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'd build with ample clearance for 2.1 tires; it's really fun to play with all the 29er tires as well as cyclocross tires. I wouldn't build a custom monstercross bike that couldn't use big volume tires... the trade off being I'd want the chainstays as short as I could get away with.

Rigid forks are the coolest for these bikes but you might want to consider leaving the option for a supension fork should you choose to play with one.

And disc brakes crush cantilevers if you are really going off road. I like the Cane Creek V levers with Avid BB-7 brakes.

That's why mine's a Niner MTB frame at present- a lightweight 29'er hardtail gives a lot of options while still being a snappy handler with a short rigid fork on it.

* Nevermind the monstercross definition police, it's your bike to custom build as you see fit.

My next wheelset's going to be Stan's new Crest rims which gives you really light tubeless wheels almost in the weight category of tubulars. On a monstercross type of bike with fast 1.8-2.0 size tires they should be really fast rolling...

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    How did you come to this incredible epiphany? I'd have to say from here that frame looks like it's a helluva lot closer to cyclocross geometry than 29er mountain geometry. If it had riser bars it'd be one tall front end.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    How did you come to this incredible epiphany? I'd have to say from here that frame looks like it's a helluva lot closer to cyclocross geometry than 29er mountain geometry. If it had riser bars it'd be one tall front end.
    You are kidding right? Epiphany? It was a message from god or God. You arnt kidding on the tall front end. It has suspension corrected rigid all over it.

Practice reading and the using the search function. You will find all kinds of usefull information like this thread.

Incredible isnt it. I know what you are thinking. Read my title.
    MUD

May 2009
    Oh yah. Sorry for the hijack. Back to the regular scheduled programing.
    MUD

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    You are kidding right? Epiphany? It was a message from god or God. You arnt kidding on the tall front end. It has suspension corrected rigid all over it.

Practice reading and the using the search function. You will find all kinds of usefull information like this thread.

Incredible isnt it. I know what you are thinking. Read my title.

It actually has all the same Geos as a Cross Check, most people consider that a CX bike i think. correct me if i'm wrong, maybe the Cross Check is a DH bike for all i know apparntly.

Yes the fork has longer AC, but look at how many spacers are under the neg drop stem....oh yea, zero. Next one built will have a 1x1 or similar fork on it instead though.

thanks for being so pleasent though, it has made this whole thread a much better place.

mtbr member
    Thank you all for the input (some irrelevant, but amusing enough--still counts...).

It seems that 45mm with real fat tires infringes on the domain of my MTBs. I do have a couple of MTBs and not looking for a MX to replace them. I look for something that can go fast on tarmac, eats gravel for breakfast and devour fire roads for supper. Yes, there is always room to be a bit techie, but I don't think it's a good enough reason to mount 2.1 tires.

Going with a shorter chain stay boosts performance and handling. It also helps with chain clearance, an important consideration for me since I want to run up to 48t on the inside of the spider.

I thought of going 40mm and aim for Schwalabe Marathon Extreme, but I have no first hand experience.

So, if you were me, would you go with clearance for: 35mm, 38mm, 40mm, 42mm, 45mm or maybe something else?

It would be nice to hear from people with miles on some of this tire sizes.

Thank all!! You opinion matters...

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    It actually has all the same Geos as a Cross Check...
    Sorry if I drug this off into the weeds. That looks killer; about how I'd spec. a "one-a-those" type bikes if I had one built. Pretty much a Cyclocross bike that'll swallow huge tires and still take a road front crankset.

To add productively to the thread: I just finished building up a Vassago Fisticuff and fit 2.1 IRC Mythos tires on it, although the rear wheel had to be nearly at the back of the track end. I swapped on Bontrager 1.75 XDX tires and I think that's what'll stay on there. If it were me having a bike built I'd want to at least fit a 2.1 true 29er tire although that may drag it into "mountain bike" territory...
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Members who have read this thread: 0