Tire clearance..how tight is too tight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Tire clearance..how tight is too tight?

I have a ti Jones with Salsa Gordos. I have been running a 2.4 Ardent in the front and a 2.25 Ardent rear. I am not a huge fan of the 2.25 and wanted to put a 2.4 on the back as well. The 2.4 once the casing settles in is pretty darn big , however the clearance is super tight. Tight enough, that when I get out of the saddle there is contact with the frame. I ride in dry conditions, so mud is not a factor, but wanted to know if this is bad for the frame and or stupid to do in general. Am I pushing it? Should I give up my dream of a marshmallow rear tire and slap on something leaner? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would think that letting the tire rub even a little bit will eventually wear into the frame.

I tried running 2.35 Rampages on my Gunner and it did rub but only in the off camber sections. 2.1 is about the max I can run on the back.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

transmitter~receiver
    agreed.
    frame rub=too tight
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

get down!
    Jones doesn't have clearance for fatties?

es no bueno senor
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed

es no bueno senor
    It has clearance it is just minimal. Also the Gordos make the tires sit wider, so that is not helping, and the seam of my rim is slightly uneven which causes a "hop" that can't be trued out. If I mounted them on Flows it wouldn't be an issue. The weirwolf 2.55 was also not a problem even on the Gordos. The Ardent 2.4 are just monsters and have wide side nobs.
    That being said, its a bummer not being able to run the 2.4 Ardent in the back without the occasional rubbing.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    It has clearance it is just minimal. Also the Gordos make the tires sit wider, so that is not helping, and the seam of my rim is slightly uneven which causes a "hop" that can't be trued out. If I mounted them on Flows it wouldn't be an issue. The weirwolf 2.55 was also not a problem even on the Gordos. The Ardent 2.4 are just monsters and have wide side nobs.
    That being said, its a bummer not being able to run the 2.4 Ardent in the back without the occasional rubbing.
    Trim the side knobs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Trim the side knobs.
    Yup Or maybe lace up a Semi in place of the Gordo. Their ERD is only 2mm off so you could probably use the same spokes so it wouldn't cost much. No point in having that massive rim if it's TOO wide. Save some rotational weight and run the tire you want...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Trim the side knobs.
    What is the best way to do this?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Not that my way is the best way, but I used a big set of wire cutters. Something like this:

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    What is the best way to do this?
    A sharp side cutter as DF... posted works great. Just clip off the outside corner.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Had to do the same thing on my tandem to get the big Ardent to fit in back. Clipped the side knob edged off. Gained 3 mils per side. All fits really well now.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

ballbuster
    Also, there should be a bit of room for debris to get sucked through the gap. I know a guy who crammed a 650b rear tire in a Turner. Worked great, but tiny bits of gravel and twigs would get sucked through the gap all the time. You could hear it, and sometimes feel it. Seems to me that it would only take a slightly larger rock to actually do damage.

mtbr member
    I'd have to concur with this statement, very sad indeed Even if I had the money sometime in the future this definitely took them off any fancy bike list I had.

Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed

es no bueno senor
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It is a huge challenge to build a bike with very short stays, 29" wheels with super fat tires and super wide rims to all work together in harmony. Again the 2.4 Ardent on Flows would not be an issue, and the 2.55 weirwolf on the Gordo wasn't a problem.
    But I hear you, I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Members who have read this thread: 1