Tire clearance- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire clearance

mtbr member

Tire clearance

Have a 2010 GF cobia g2 of course. It's a 17.5" if it makes any difference. I was wondering if anyone has any info on what will clear the frame in the rear. I have nevegal 2.2's and the OEM bontrager 2.0 29.3, but wanted to try out a set of the schwalbe big apple 2.35's. The clearance looked tight, and I didn't know what to look for in terms of sizing, as I'd like to keep my options open. Also, if anyone has any reccomendations for some tires that would be great. The original tires were a bit sketchy in central Florida sandy trails, and plunged deep in mud when wet.

Thanks for any info!
    Mark

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Not sure the Big Apples would help much in sandy trails and deep mud. Buy one, you can always just use it on the front.

mtbr member
    How about "winter" in Florida? Dry, sandy and pretty hard. Lots of limestone underneath sand. I figured such with the mud, an I don't mind buying more tires, so long as they are helpful!
    Thanks!
    Mark

Rider and Wrench
    I would not think the Schwalbe BA's would be a first choice for mud, sand or for that matter dedicated off road riding. They are really designed more for varied on/off road riding and can handle a bit of off pavement use... of course aired down pretty much any large volume tire will offer traction (as will your Nevgals and Bonty's).

I am not sure how deep the mud is you are riding in but generally "mud" tires are on the narrow side so they cut in to it rather than slide around on top. I would take a look at the Schwalbe Racing Ralph or if you like even more aggro possibly the rampage.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    I do mostly want the tires for road and hard dirt roads. I'm not necessarily picky on brand, but I'm worried about what will fit my g2 fisher rear near the dérailleur and such.

I'll check out what you've said for sure, and I haven't had a chance to try the nevegals off road yet.

Thanks for all the hints and advice, but is there a specific size of tire or brand that will or won't fit in there?

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by 722ish
    I do mostly want the tires for road and hard dirt roads. I'm not necessarily picky on brand, but I'm worried about what will fit my g2 fisher rear near the dérailleur and such.

I'll check out what you've said for sure, and I haven't had a chance to try the nevegals off road yet.

Thanks for all the hints and advice, but is there a specific size of tire or brand that will or won't fit in there?

I am not sure which Bontrager tires came stock on your Fisher but for on/off road I would take a look at the Bonti XDX in a larger size (2.2ish..) than your stock Bonti tires- if hardpack and pavement are ~75% of what you do I would not think the Rampage or Nevgal are going to make you fall in love- slop and rough stuff maybe...sand mmm not so sure either.

The Nevgals are going to offer more grip than the stock bonti's for sure but will also be a bit slower on the road and most likely heavier as well, not my first choice for road/bike path use. Depending on the Nevgal most after market/retail are a Dual tread compound with kevlar beads but there are also the OEM wore beads and no dual tread compound (may wear quicker on the street).

As for your particular frame I cannot say the exact "no go " tires would be but the WTB weirwolf and Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 are two of the larger (some would say largest...) 29er tires out there, so they push the limits on alot of frames.

mtbr member
    Im sorry, I meant the big apples for road and around home use. The others for strictly offroading.
    The marking on the bontrager tires is only 29.3, and they are 2.00. I had plenty of spin while climbing off road so I went with the nevegal because I got em cheap. I got worried when the 2.2 nevegal had a tight ish fit. There's not a whole lot of space to the front der. With them on now.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by 722ish
    Im sorry, I meant the big apples for road and around home use. The others for strictly offroading.
    The marking on the bontrager tires is only 29.3, and they are 2.00. I had plenty of spin while climbing off road so I went with the nevegal because I got em cheap. I got worried when the 2.2 nevegal had a tight ish fit. There's not a whole lot of space to the front der. With them on now.
    I would not be too worried as the Nevgals are a pretty beeffy tire for a 2.2- from what I have seen they are pretty close to many other tire makers "2.3" tires. Take a look at Shiggy's tire size chart and it will give you real word data on other tires compared to the Nevgal- Now that you know how the Nevgal fits you can see what else is out there that will fit as well
    Take a look at the sidewall of the Nevgal to see if it has "DTC" written on it- IMO they are a much nicer tire than the OE stuff that gets sold cheap when someone removes it from a new bike. Overall I must say that though I liked the Nevgal (alot) as a 26" tire it is just too much tire for my XC riding. I have found that I can get away with less tread (especially tubeless at slightly lower pressures) than on my 26" bikes.

You may also want to consider a Kenda Small block 8 for the rear with the Nevgal up front to speed it up a bit-

mtbr member
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't clarify, I meant usage for daily road riding and hard hard dirt trails.
    Otherwise I meant reccomendations for the off road stuff.
    Sorry about that!

Members who have read this thread: 0