Thru-axle Rigid Fork- Mtbr.com
    Kosher Princess

Thru-axle Rigid Fork

Is there any advantage to using a thru-axle front hub on a rigid fork for CX use?

For example on pisgahproductions Waltworks:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg fo.jpg (133.2 KB, 671 views)

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    I would think that the necessary weight penalty would far out weigh any possible positive changes. Something a wheel that could make use of a DT RWS 9mm QR would get you a lot of the way in terms of stiffness for very little weight.

I do love the look of that fork though. Shiny.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    I would think that the necessary weight penalty would far out weigh any possible positive changes..
    Isn't the point of Thru-axle mainly to counter the torsion due to differential movements in the two legs of a suspension fork ? What's the benefit on a rigid fork ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric_syd
    Isn't the point of Thru-axle mainly to counter the torsion due to differential movements in the two legs of a suspension fork ? What's the benefit on a rigid fork ?
    It looks cool and it's different from the norm. What other benefits do you need?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Portman
    Is there any advantage to using a thru-axle front hub on a rigid fork for CX use?

Through axle would be terrible for CX (cyclocross). Instant wheel changes are essential for competition
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Through axle would be terrible for CX (cyclocross). Instant wheel changes are essential for competition
    I agree, but for most of the people racing it wouldn't really matter.

I also think a through axle on a CX bike would be pretty useless, the weight penalty would negate the benefit and I also feel my current quick release works perfectly fine.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Stayin' Puft
    That would be sorta like this, something used in the wrong place:

Kosher Princess

Wink

Then again, I can be ANYONE you want, at the same time myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    I would think that the necessary weight penalty would far out weigh any possible positive changes. Something a wheel that could make use of a DT RWS 9mm QR would get you a lot of the way in terms of stiffness for very little weight.

I do love the look of that fork though. Shiny.
    I have a 20mm thru axle fork that weighs 700g and a wheelset that weighs 1600g. The weight penalty isn't there, if you want to spend the dough. I does make a difference in the ride.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

How about some more detail on that homemade rack? Looks interesting.

trail rat
    I would like to have one for my rigid SS so that I can share the front wheel from my suspended 29er thru axle Minute on occasion. I know I can convert hubs, but that is time consuming since you have to remove the rotor to swap them. I would like to just change front wheels and go.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

When did you get here?!?!
    Let's see...
    My reason for getting the thru axle: I had just broken my QR WW fork and was looking for something that could take more abuse. The 1st fork broke at the top of one of the legs so I figured that one leg flexed further back than the other. Solution: bolt everything together and put a fat axle down there. There IS a noticeable difference. This fork does not have much (if any) give. It feels the front end on a BMX bike.

So, to answer the OP, Yes, there are advantages (I'm assuming you mean in XC use not CX...) Mostly, It's ridiculously stiff and I doubt it will ever break and that inspires me to do stupid things on it. Also, I only have 20mm wheels and they all swap between all the bikes in my house.
    Last edited by pisgahproductions; 09-06-2009 at 09:20 AM.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    CX or XC?

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Thanks! That is a great fork, if not for shear aesthetics and originality. I do think it would stiffen up the ride ALOT. I have both a taper bladed and straight blade Waltworks fork, and the taper has some good vertical flex, whereas the straight does not, though I'm not one to easily flex anything. When having Walt build I referenced your fork as an option, hey, even saw it for sale, but that was a snafu-or-something. Anyways, it's inspiration none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    Let's see...
    My reason for getting the thru axle: I had just broken my QR WW fork and was looking for something that could take more abuse. The 1st fork broke at the top of one of the legs so I figured that one leg flexed further back than the other. Solution: bolt everything together and put a fat axle down there. There IS a noticeable difference. This fork does not have much (if any) give. It feels the front end on a BMX bike.

So, to answer the OP, Yes, there are advantages (I'm assuming you mean in XC use not CX...) Mostly, It's ridiculously stiff and I doubt it will ever break and that inspires me to do stupid things on it. Also, I only have 20mm wheels and they all swap between all the bikes in my house.

Kosher Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    CX or XC?
    Yikes, XC XC XC XC XC XC XC XC XC XC XXX!

Yeah, don't let that Harvard degree fool ya.

Combat Wombat

I like that.

If I was having a fork built and either already had a 20mm axle front wheel or was planning to get one built up, I would definately go that route. I think that there would be some benefit gained with those long legs on a rigid 29er fork. I also personally prefer something with a little more bite than the roadie type QRs most people use to save weight and find it hard to believe that the typical 20mm axle setup weighs significantly more than the only QR I have any real faith in.....a steel Shimano QR.

Now if any of that is true or not.....oh well, it would make me happy.

Brian

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    In cyclocross you change bikes, not wheels. You change your own wheel and the race has gone by.

Keep on Rockin...
    Doubt it makes a performance difference on an already very torsionally stiff steel fork (suspension fork - definitely). The easy change out on a stardard QR - while something I don't do often - is something that probably outweighs the next-to-nothing performance benefit on a rigid steel fork.

All that aside, the fork in the post is super nice looking and would use it if I had it.

Is that a SS WW with horizontal drops?

Members who have read this thread: 0