Thoughts on stem rise change?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Thoughts on stem rise change?

Upgrading the stem on my SS 29er. Wanting to get a Thomson X4 to go with my seatpost.

Currently I am running a 110mm with a 5 rise, 31.8 clamp.

Problem: Thomson only makes a 10 and 0 rise stem (31.8). Would it be better to go to a 100mm and drop to 0 or stay with 110mm and move up to 10?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx
    is the best site that I know of for stem changes. What bars are you using? Do you like your current hand position? You could use the zero stem with a greater rise bar! Or you could just keep what you have!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by theothermichaeldiaz
    Upgrading the stem on my SS 29er. Wanting to get a Thomson X4 to go with my seatpost.

Currently I am running a 110mm with a 5 rise, 31.8 clamp.

Problem: Thomson only makes a 10 and 0 rise stem (31.8). Would it be better to go to a 100mm and drop to 0 or stay with 110mm and move up to 10?
    I think you will literally get the same exact bar position as you have now if you get a 110mm at 0 degrees stem and run 10mm more of spacers than you currently run. If you get the 110mm with a 10 degree stem, you could use 10mm's of less spacers and be almost exactly at your current bar height. But if you go 100mm with 0 degrees, no matter how you do it - your reach will be shorter than your current set up. So, if you really want the same reach - you'll need a bar with less sweep.

It probably comes down to how you've cut your steerer tube. Either you have room to add 10mm's to your spacer stack, or room to subtract 10mm. If not, hmmmmm..... you'll have to upgrade to a different company's stem that matches your current length and angle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Thanks

Thanks to both of you for the link and advice. I have not cut my steerer tube and have plenty of room to move. 110mm and 0 degrees it shall be...

trail rat
    Here is a great resource to see the changes in reach and rise of stem changes. Factor in the spacers underneath and you can fine tune to perfection.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

nocturnal oblivion
    Great sites, would' save lots of guesswork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    And I was trying to recreate High School and College Trigonmetery (Math and Science majors can't spell).

Anyone have suggestions for a good XC Stem with 0 degree riose other then Thomson and Easton EA90?

Trying to go to longer Stem and lower handlebars on my 29er So I can move seat up for better knee alignment then once I get that dialed in will probably do spacer adjustment for more saddle to bar drop to improve stability when climbing. Currently have a 90 mm 6 degree stem, 90 mm 10 degree stemr, a 110m 6 degree stem (on the way got cheap off ebay) to play with, and have about 20 mm of spacer under the stem right now.
    Last edited by HEMIjer; 02-15-2010 at 01:35 PM.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer
    Anyone have suggestions for a good XC Stem with 0 degree riose other then Thomson and Easton EA90?
    Hope produces 0 degree rise in both 25.4 and 31.8. I just ordered a 90mm from Chain Reaction.

Members who have read this thread: 0