Thoughts on the Lynskey M390- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Thoughts on the Lynskey M390

Found this new limited edition bike on Lynskey site. Seems like an interesting design. Built with 120mm travel in mind, 70* ha (I think that's a sagged measurement, the site doesn't specify but the description makes me think that's sagged), mid-length chain stays, sliding dropouts, wide threaded (thankfully) bb, decent amount of tire clearance (says 2.3, but looks like bigger could fit). Kinda sounds like the perfect all day trail bike.....so tempting.....

M390

M390 S M L
    Recommended Height 5'4"-5'7" 5'8"-5'10" 5'11"-6'2"
    Seat Tube Length (A) 15 16.5 18.5
    Top Tube Length Effective (B) 22.75 23.75 24.5
    Head Tube Angle (C) 70 70 70
    Seat Tube Angle (D) 73 73 73
    Bottom Bracket Drop (E) 2 2 2
    Chain Stay Length (F) 17.125 - 17.875 17.125 - 17.875 17.125 - 17.875
    Head Tube Length (G) 4 4.276 5.276
    Fork Rake (H) - - -
    Stand Over Height (I) 29 30.5 32
    Wheelbase (J) 42.4375 43.4375 44.1875
    Bottom Bracket Height (K)
    Front Center (L) 25.5 26.25 27.25
    Stack (M) 24.6875 24.9375 25.875
    Reach (N) 15.25 16.25 16.5625

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    They've never done anything hydroformed before and don't on any other bike so I would be interested to know who they had do it for them or it they bought the tubes preformed from China. The reared looks the same as the Ridgeline so I am not sure where they are getting the tire clearance from unless they are measuring it with the sliders all the way back, which wouldn't be good for singlespeed riders. Also they seemed to have lingered around in their promo section for a long time for something that was suppose to be "limited edition"

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Yikes, considering the high failure rates on their 100mm frames, I think bumping to 120mm and trying to compete with the likes of Yeli and Banshee is just asking for trouble. Not sure about sliders on a more "trail" oriented bike. I'm thinking more along the lines of through-axle. Very cool geometry though on this frame.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Durt McGurt View Post
    They've never done anything hydroformed before and don't on any other bike so I would be interested to know who they had do it for them or it they bought the tubes preformed from China. The reared looks the same as the Ridgeline so I am not sure where they are getting the tire clearance from unless they are measuring it with the sliders all the way back, which wouldn't be good for singlespeed riders. Also they seemed to have lingered around in their promo section for a long time for something that was suppose to be "limited edition"
    They have been doing hydroform for a few years. Titus used HF tubes in a couple of frames (FTM and Rockstar) and they were built by Lynskey.

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballtrail View Post
    Yikes, considering the high failure rates on their 100mm frames

I think the 2012 frames have absolutely resolved that:
    -Welded insert for the Seat Tube/Seatpost junction
    -2" diameter downtube butted to the 44mm headtube
    -73mm bottom bracket

My 2012 frame is amazingly stiff where it needs to be. It does not noodle about like the '09 style with the sloping top tube!

I think with the way the '12 frames turned out, they can justify this build, and probably had enough prototypes and interest to justify it.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is it not just a rebadged Salsa El Mariachi Ti frame?

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugs View Post
    The El Mariachi Ti is based off of the Ridgeline.

Sag is factored in, states it in the quick overview.
    Lynskey M390 Limited Edition 120mm Travel Hardtail 29er - Lynskey Performance | Titanium Bicycles
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yikes, considering the high failure rates on their 100mm frames, I think bumping to 120mm and trying to compete with the likes of Yeli and Banshee is just asking for trouble. Not sure about sliders on a more "trail" oriented bike. I'm thinking more along the lines of through-axle. Very cool geometry though on this frame.
    What's a high failure rate equate to? Just curious, I really hadn't heard of many Lynskey frames breaking, but then again I haven't exactly been looking for that. How many of their frames break? How many do they make?

I think this could be a cool bike, and lot's of folks would like sliders for the ability to go single speed. 2800 for frame,revelation fork and cane creek headset....when compared to the Kona Raijin seems like it might be a bit expensive. I've had a couple bikes with sliders and never had a problem.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    I had 4 frames failures in 3 years and whenever I see another Lynskey owner and chat it up they tell a similar tale. Oddly Lynskey made frames for Titus, Spot, and Salsa and I have yet to ever hear of an issue. The Salsa Ti bikes are about the best around and remind me of the old school Lightspeeds. When Lynskey owned Lightspeed their bikes were also fairly solid.

One of the issues is that they are using very thin walled tapered Ti tubing to reduce the weight. It is somewhat unfortunate, but weigh really drives the market, and trying to compete against an onslaught of carbon bikes means pushing the limits of the Ti. The Salsa Ti bikes weigh in at 3.7 lbs in a medium, while my Pro 29 is 3.18 lbs. I absolutely love my Pro 29 and have yet to find a bike that can match it, but I am always on the look out for the next round of stress cracks.

The "welded" seat tube insert is actually held in place with an epoxy, since you cannot properly/practically weld aluminum and Ti together. Reinforcing Ti with aluminum induces a whole new set of issues that would have been better addressed with gussets.

Bottom line, if this m390 handles like their other hardtails but with 120mm, then it would be an amazing bike. Just be prepared for stress cracking
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    I think the 2012 frames have absolutely resolved that:
    I have a friend that took delivery of his just a couple months ago and it was broken within weeks. There are tons of Lynskys here in Knoxville and of those that I ride with, I'm not aware of anyone that has not broken theirs yet.

mtbr member
    Well this is not very reassuring.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart View Post
    I have a friend that took delivery of his just a couple months ago and it was broken within weeks. There are tons of Lynskys here in Knoxville and of those that I ride with, I'm not aware of anyone that has not broken theirs yet.
    Really? Wow. I am starting to wonder whether we can get a bunch of the unlucky folks together and file a complaint with a consumer protection and safety agency.

Something is starting to smell a bit fishy here. You send the frame back for warranty if you're lucky enough to get authorization, and then Mike Viertel and Don Erwin try every marketing ploy to get you to upgrade to the newest "improved" model for a nominal fee of just $600 - $900.

Trail Junkie
    I just took shipment of my 2012 Pro29 SL size small....it weighs in at 4.1lb with the sliders and post clamp.

Not even close to the 3.18lb frames of previous years. The bike is extremely stiff where it needs to be, and compliant in the rear. By far the best hardtail frame I have ever been on. I was initially bummed about the weight, but the way that this bike rides and the solid but compliant feel that I experience is something else. At this level of comfort with ride quality and solid acceleration, I can easily justify passing up my carbon options for it. I just wish all Lynskey owners experienced the ride quality that I experience on mine.

Within the first 2 weeks of having it, I did a six hour race, and though taking 4th to locals, I recorded the second fastest lap time overall (-11 sec) even setup SS, and that was with an endo landing on my shoulder and badly bruising my hand on my first lap.

The bike performed amazing, the comfort was second-to-none..which in longer rides pay dividends..how it translate to this frame....I am sure with the features they implemented into the frame mirror that of the 2012 Pro29 SL...its going to be strong and ride great!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If you're worried about what will happen when your Lynskey finally does break check out this guys ebay auction and the comments from Lynskey...

Lynskey Ridgeline 29er Titanium Frame | eBay

Lynskey Ridgeline 29er Titanium Frame Medium

This frame was purchased in 2010 and ridden probably 25 times between 2010 and November 2011. In November 2011, a huge crack appeared in the top tube and I sent the frame back to Lynskey for repair. The frame was sent back to me in April 2012 and I was very excited to once again build up the bike. Upon opening the box, I discovered that Lynskey epoxied in an aluminum seat tube reducer thereby reducing the diameter from 31.6 to 27.2, which rendered the frame unusable for me since I had a custom 450mm seat post that accommodated my extra long inseam. Since this was one of the best geometries and an amazing frame, I placed a 360 mm Tune 27.2 seat post in the frame and left it out of sight on my patio until a cooler head prevailed.

After 10 days, I decided the frame needed to go on Ebay and I tried to adjust the seat post for my bike stand. The post got stuck in the insert and took a lot of pulling, twisting, hooking, and of course screaming to remove. I began taking photos for Ebay, when I noticed a small bulge with a crack on the seat tube. Of course, I contacted Lynskey but I got the sense that they were unwilling to discuss the frame issue and thought the frame was ok to ride. They suggested just keeping an eye on the crack.

My take on the issue is either Lynskey caused the crack at the factory or the aluminum insert with an epoxy sleeve had a different thermal rate of expansion vs. the seat post and frame. Having been left on the patio in the PHX sun for 10 days the frame either stress cracked along the edge of the insert or the seat post ceased in the insert and I caused the crack while trying to remove the post. The insert was lightly greased, so I didn't bother to grease the seat post. After 2 failures on my Pro 29er, the top tube failure on the Ridgeline, the seat post reducer, getting the post stuck, and now this bulge and crack, I would like to part ways with the frame and will most likely also be selling my Pro 29er soon.

I am selling this frame as is and considering it in non working condition in need of repair, meaning the frame is not ridable and doing so could result in catastrophic failure. What you choose to do with the frame is up to you. Good luck trying to work with the boys in Tennessee, but maybe James from Black Sheep or one of the other local frame builders could swap in a new seat tube and make a proper repair. I thought about giving James a call, but my patience with the Lynskey brand has run out. All of the other welds and tubes look good and besides the crack and a severely beat up insert, the frame is perfect. If you are looking for a frame as wall art or decorating a shop, then this frame is absolutely perfect.

The serial number is 3066. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions. Thanks for checking out this frame.

On May-02-12 at 13:27:58 PDT, seller added the following information:

About shipping: If the shipping ends up being less, I will be happy to refund the difference. Usually international shipping to Europe, Canada, and Japan is no issue as I can send packages up to 108 linear, but Australia, Asia, and S. America tend to be tricky. I will try to work with you, but expect shipping to be crazy expensive to other countries not mentioned in this listing.

On May-02-12 at 22:38:41 PDT, seller added the following information:

Here are my last email from Lynskey

RJ I would ride the bike. I would keep and eye on it and make sure it does not develop a crack. Best personal regards, Jack Kopeski, Sales Account Manager Lynskey Performance 423.499.5815 (office) 423.903.9527 (blackberry)

mtbr member
    Really? Wow. I am starting to wonder whether we can get a bunch of the unlucky folks together and file a complaint with a consumer protection and safety agency.

Something is starting to smell a bit fishy here. You send the frame back for warranty if you're lucky enough to get authorization, and then Mike Viertel and Don Erwin try every marketing ploy to get you to upgrade to the newest "improved" model for a nominal fee of just $600 - $900.
    Yea, really. Not most of my friends...every single one of them. My hats off to them though. Making a customer pay $1,000 for their warranty replacement and making them feel good about it is quite a trick.

mtbr member
    I called Lynskey specifically about an early model 2009 Ridgeline29SL I owned. Missing stickers and what-not. I talked to the "head-lady" and she doubted me. I sent a serial number and the store that originally sold the frame. Then I was offered new decals... sent my address... never received anything. Called them back and over a month later and started from scratch. LAME.

Never got decals. Stripped the bike and sold off the frame. Last time I will do business with Lynskey or own their stuff. Don't care where the heck they are produced. Doubt if I will own anything produced from their factory for another company either.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    The M390 - All of the sudden round tubes are more $$$ than diamond or helix tubes?

Funny how that works.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Durt McGurt;9285137]If you're worried about what will happen when your Lynskey finally does break check out this guys ebay auction and the comments from Lynskey...

Lynskey Ridgeline 29er Titanium Frame | eBay

Lynskey Ridgeline 29er Titanium Frame Medium

I would be happy to discuss this particular situation with anyone who has questions.

The sleeve is aluminum and is there to insure that NO post material will ever give problems. They are epoxy'd in and cannot be simply "pulled" out with tools at home, etc.

I'm always open to personally discuss with anyone the specific scenarios that you may have questions about. ANYtime.
    Don

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=donerwin;9286735]
    Quote Originally Posted by Durt McGurt View Post
    I'm always open to personally discuss with anyone the specific scenarios that you may have questions about. ANYtime.
    Don
    Yuup, I am sure Don wants to talk and give you his sales pitch .... can I super size that order?
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    i'm not sure why i don't hang out here more often, it seems like such a fun place to play!! lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by donerwin View Post
    I would be happy to discuss this particular situation with anyone who has questions.
    So... what's your take on the situation? Thanks.

mtbr member

Only one LOL is you!

Quote Originally Posted by donerwin View Post
    i'm not sure why i don't hang out here more often, it seems like such a fun place to play!! lol
    It is as fun as when a customer is trying to get a warranty issuse resolved. The only difference is the customer is not LOL ...
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

AOK
    mtbr member
    I had 4 frames failures in 3 years and whenever I see another Lynskey owner and chat it up they tell a similar tale. Oddly Lynskey made frames for Titus, Spot, and Salsa and I have yet to ever hear of an issue.
    Lynskey seems to do an OK job of building frames, but the ones that they design themselves appear to be suspect (cracking dropouts, tubes, etc). I don't recall seeing many weld issues, just things that point to under designed frames. I suspect that Titus, Salsa, etc. put more engineering time into their frame designs that Lynskey produces.

This is one of the reasons I chose to go with a Salsa El Mar Ti vs. a Lynskey frame. I just trust that Salsa did their homework on the design and that they will back up the lifetime warranty if issues arise with the frame.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    not terribly dissimilar from my lynskey geo, slightly steeper etc. and yes, all day geo is good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Lynskey seems to do an OK job of building frames, but the ones that they design themselves appear to be suspect (cracking dropouts, tubes, etc). I don't recall seeing many weld issues, just things that point to under designed frames. I suspect that Titus, Salsa, etc. put more engineering time into their frame designs that Lynskey produces.

This is one of the reasons I chose to go with a Salsa El Mar Ti vs. a Lynskey frame. I just trust that Salsa did their homework on the design and that they will back up the lifetime warranty if issues arise with the frame.
    This Salsa is made by Lynskey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by capt.balljack View Post
    This Salsa is made by Lynskey.
    That was his point. He believes that Salsa designed the frame, so he trusts their design and Lynskey's manufacturing. As opposed to a frame that was designed and built by Lynskey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's good to know that other people have had some issues with Lynskey frames. I broke two of the pro 29's. The first time around the down tube just split about 2 inches back from the down tube / head tube weld. wtf! I'm just glad I caught it before I had a two piece bike and probably a few less teeth!

The first time I waited over 7 months for a warranty replacement. They acted as if they had never heard of one of their frames failing....?

I received the new one and within 3 rides it broke again, this time at the slider on the drive side.

I got the new one faster but it was sold off.

I think the worst part was the [email protected] I took from my wife. "You mean the super titanium last forever frame broke again?"

I've had the Salsa Selma scandium since and have not had a single problem. It's much cheaper too. I want to get the new Selma Ti but am apprehensive since they build it.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    That was his point. He believes that Salsa designed the frame, so he trusts their design and Lynskey's manufacturing. As opposed to a frame that was designed and built by Lynskey.
    ^^ This

Also trust that Salsa will take care of me if it breaks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well I own and shred a medium M390 and I love it. I had a Ridgeline SL that I liked too. THis one is way better. I've had nothing but positive interactions w/Lynskey, but then again I have not needed to warrentee anything. I would hate to think that they would give me the run around on a replacement if I needed one due to failure. The 390 is a fantastic riding bicycle. If you have the money I'd say get one. You won't be sorry.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I got the run around when I ordered my Lynskey in 2009. They "were in the process of building my bike." It started to take waaay longer than promised. Waay longer. Weeks became months.

Finally they said "Sorry, but we don't make that version any more...but...we will sell you a 2010 model for the same price!!!"

Yay.

Then the process started all over again..

I rode the bike...sorta liked it, but nothing special. I couldn't figure out if Mike was cool or if I was just a pita for him.. the vibe was always different each time we spoke. He definitely made me feel like I was the only person on planet earth that had ever encountered any sort of issue with their service.

I can't believe the frames are a pound heavier, as someone stated before. Whoa!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    I got the run around when I ordered my Lynskey in 2009. They "were in the process of building my bike." It started to take waaay longer than promised. Waay longer. Weeks became months.

Finally they said "Sorry, but we don't make that version any more...but...we will sell you a 2010 model for the same price!!!"

Yay.

Then the process started all over again..

I rode the bike...sorta liked it, but nothing special. I couldn't figure out if Mike was cool or if I was just a pita for him.. the vibe was always different each time we spoke. He definitely made me feel like I was the only person on planet earth that had ever encountered any sort of issue with their service.

I can't believe the frames are a pound heavier, as someone stated before. Whoa!
    My 2009 Ridgeline29 frame was about 3.2-3.3lb. are the new ones 4+lb?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugs View Post
    Lynskey makes the Salsa.

mtbr member
    I recently got a Pro 29 VF. I did not weigh it because a couple of ounces of frame weight really does not mean that much. 24.5 Lbs built up which is not great but hell, I will ditch the waterbottle and run a camelback! Seatpost fit is extremely tight but so what, it is set where I need it. The frame took a couple of months to get here but was shipped on the day that they originally gave so can't fault them there - I knew up front that I would need to wait.

The other side of the coin is that this bike rides like nothing I have ever tried before. It handles better than my Scandium Mamasita which I bought specifically for its handling characteristics on our tight twisty trails. It climbs like a mountain goat. I am 6', 200 lbs and not really built for climbing but I flew by people on the climbs in our race this weekend. When you push down on the pedals, it is as if the frame loads up and jumps forward.

I sincerely hope that my frame does not break and if it does that Lynskey will look after me but I am not going to live in fear of it. The bike rocks and I am going to enjoyevery minute of it!!!!

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    My 2009 Ridgeline29 frame was about 3.2-3.3lb. are the new ones 4+lb?

That sounds about right. My small Pro29 SL came in @ 4.1 with sliders. The VF would be lighter.

There is a huge difference between the 2012 Pro29 and Ridgeline 29.
    -2" helix down tube
    -73mm BB
    -44mm Head tube
    -plate chainstay that increases the tire clearance
    -oversized seat tube with a reducer sleeve and welded insert

This all adds weight, but it also makes for a completely different ride than the '09, and I would be willing to bet that its superior in every way. The 2010 Pro29 rides completely different than the 2012s, this is of course my opinion, but it is by my own experience, and I would take the 2012 any day of the week over the '10..but it is easy enough to say that they don't ride the same..because they just don't.

I think the welded in reducer is pretty slick. It reinforces the top tube/seat tube/seatstay junction and beefs it up to handle the leverage of the post, and it allows you to run a more comfortable post. There is a significant comfort difference between an Easton EC70 27.2 and 30.9. I have both, and the flex in a 27.2 is significant..and the way that comfort meshes and enhances the ride quality on the bike is integral to how the frame performs how comfortable it rides and how you'll feel after a ride.

All I know is that the ride of my 2012 Lynskey Pro29 SL is dialed and rides phenomenally..it is the best riding hard tail I have ever swung my leg over and I can only thank Lynskey for making such a product.

If you don't think the Lynskey frame brings any value, and their customer service sucks, go to Carver, or Habanero or pay big money for a Moots, Eriksen, IF, or Potts and wait 6mo. to a year for your frame.

If you don't like what Lynskey is building, don't buy from them. Why try to even rationalize this frame or even why they would justify making it...but keep this in mind. Not everyone wants a rough riding long travel aluminum hardtail (Paradox/Yelli Scream), nor do they want a hefty weighted one either (Transition TransAm/Kona Hanzo). So offering a premium bike to compete in the market of slack angle/long travel hardtails...they are the only one outside of custom.

People like to make 100% fact out of a 1-sided story when there is a thing called rude disgruntled customers that are impossible to work with. We've read other threads where people try to share their experience to find their opinion or side to be wrong...
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So - appreciate all the input, I understand what all the broken-Lynskey-frame owners are saying. But at the same time I tend to think people are more apt to post negative experiences. It would be good to put the breakage info into context atleast too. I'm sure most people will say JRA, but ... Seriously?

I'd love to hear from more m390 owners though, response specific to that seems to be pretty positive.

Trail Junkie
    I think it may still a bit early for that frame. Lynskey tends to do more "production runs" or batches in their frame builds on stock frames (special edition or not) so there is a chance that noone has taken shipment of these frames except for maybe a few prototypes floating around.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    I have a m240, and love the bike. I have ridden it on slightly more technical trails, and not had any problems. Its fitted with a 100 mm fox fork, and for hardtail isn't uber light (22lbs with super weight weenie crank and components) but it has become my favorite bike.

I hope I dont' jinx myself with this post.

I'm actually buying a r230 because I've been so pleased with the handling and build of my lynskey.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by Lets_Ride View Post
    I...a couple of ounces of frame weight really does not mean that much. ...but hell, I will ditch the waterbottle and run a camelback!...
    I mean, why weight a bike down with water and spend valuable energy just pushing it along, when you could not only spend the same energy pushing it along on your back, but waste even more energy by having to support that weight with your arms, shoulders, pecs, & lower back muscles?

As long as the bike is lighter, it's better right? Oh wait... I'm in the 29er Bikes forum again. Explains everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    I mean, why weight a bike down with water and spend valuable energy just pushing it along, when you could not only spend the same energy pushing it along on your back, but waste even more energy by having to support that weight with your arms, shoulders, pecs, & lower back muscles?

As long as the bike is lighter, it's better right? Oh wait... I'm in the 29er Bikes forum again. Explains everything.
    Yeah - but if I took a big dump in the morning, it would even out and we would be back at square one. The point is that the only place such a small amount of weight is noticable is in the wheels where it is rotational. The rest is not really an issue!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Did I miss something? People are talking about frame weights over 4lbs for a small, right? That's pretty chunky for a Ti frame. An XL would probably be hovering near the 5lb mark.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    Did I miss something? People are talking about frame weights over 4lbs for a small, right? That's pretty chunky for a Ti frame. An XL would probably be hovering near the 5lb mark.
    Then paint it and you got yourself a defacto steel frame i.e. a sir 9/mcr. (yeah, the pro 29 is probably stiffer, just kills my ti lust a little)

Still, the m390 seems pretty sweet to me, I would ride one.

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    Then paint it and you got yourself a defacto steel frame i.e. a sir 9/mcr. (yeah, the pro 29 is probably stiffer, just kills my ti lust a little)

Still, the m390 seems pretty sweet to me, I would ride one.
    I was initially bummed too, but once dialed in, the ride shed all reservations about the weight. I keep returning to the ride quality of the '09s that were about 1lb lighter...is 1lb static weight really that important if the ride quality is compromised? Also it does not ride like a 4lb hefty Ti. frame. It has excellent acceleration, lateral stiffness and a lively spring with a pedal stroke that just screams..---->GO!!!!!

Even with the frame at that weight, its still weighs 20.2lb with a Sid XX fork and not weight weenie wheels.

As for how this is applicable for this frame...I think this is meant to be categorized the same as the TransAm and Hanzo, and I am pretty sure it would be better than both hands down..and with the build that this bike screams for, weight isn't the biggest priority.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

get down!
    My XL Selma weighs 4lbs 8 oz and that a lot of frame! It has the same 2" downtube, so I doubt the 18" seat tube'd frame of the 390 weighs 5 lbs.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

M390

50 miles so far on my M390... it ROCKS! BTW, the frame weighed 4.1lbs with sliders and seatpost clamp.
    Last edited by lacyjb; 06-27-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: additional info

Members who have read this thread: 1