mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Thoughts on this Diamondback??

Been researching like mad and came across this, seems too good to be true! Thoughts??

https://www.americasbikecompany.com/...%2D29&CartID=1

This was the bike I was leaning towards:

Vitus Sentier 29 VR HT Bike - Sram NX 1x11 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Drawback is lack of Boost front or rear and this limits wider tire choices somewhat. 71* ht > and 71* seat tube angle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Drawback is lack of Boost front or rear and this limits wider tire choices somewhat. 71* ht > and 71* seat tube angle.
    After looking more this morning I realized how out of date the specs on that bike are! Iím really leaning towards the Vitus. It seems to punch all the boxes at a great price!

Moderator Moderator
    What do you want from the bike?

Vitus seems more of a "trail" bike with 130mm travel where-as the DB is an "XC" bike with 100mm ravel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    What do you want from the bike?

Vitus seems more of a "trail" bike with 130mm travel where-as the DB is an "XC" bike with 100mm ravel.
    Definately trail as I live in Iowa and it pretty flat, lol! I got caught up in the ďCarbonĒ frame last night without really digging into the specifics! The Vitus seems awesome for the $$, just hesitant about ordering from CRC, out of my comfort zone I guess. The only other bike I really have my eyes on is the Trek Xcaliber8, but the Vitus is so much more bike for the $$.

The Guys over in beginners corner have been helping me a ton as well, just looking for as much feedback as possible. Itís the process I go through in my head. This is totally new territory for me and I want it to be a great experience!

Moderator Moderator
    CRC is very well established if you want to buy over the internet.

The XCaliber 8 is also an XC 100mm bike, if you are looking for 120-130mm then a Roscoe or Stache from trek might be worth a look. That said ( and full disclosure, I work with an LBS who is a Trek dealer) while bikes from the internet are generally less expensive they may not be "better value". With any bike from a local store you are also buying "insurance" with regards to service, warranty, questions and advice and community that you don't necessarily get with an internet purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Not liking the 71 degree seat tube angle. I would buy it if it were 73.5 or steeper. Boost on an XC bike is not important to me (as long as chainstays are reasonably short 435 or less).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Now that I see the Vitus, I really think you should consider the terrain you want to ride. These two bikes are in different catagories. The DB is XC while the Vitus is a Trail Bike. I look at the terrain I ride AND I buy bikes that help my weakness. I am good at descents and turns while I suck at climbs. Therefor I choose an XC geometry over trail. If I were more fit I would choose a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I actually bought that bike and rode it for a year before switching to FS. I really liked it except it sucked going down steep hills with roots and bumps. But it is a great XC bike. Its really light. A very good value IMO. I sold it to a friend of mine who begged to buy it, otherwise I would have kept it as an XC bike. BTW I live in mountainous country so a FS bike is the way to go for me.