Thoughts between 2014 Trek X-Caliber 6 vs 2013 Trek Wahoo 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thoughts between 2014 Trek X-Caliber 6 vs 2013 Trek Wahoo 29er

So I just donated my good Ole Pacific 7000SX department store bike and put down a deposit on the new Trek X-Caliber 6 after speaking in detail with the LBS. Been quite a few years since I hit the Michigan trails and want to get a bit more into it.

The sales rep was really helpful and discounted the X-Caliber 6 quite a bit for me so that I wouldn't go with the 2013 Wahoo..

Just wanted to get some advice on here as well since I know many of you are pros! I've heard the stories about Suntour Forks but how does this one stack up vs the 2013? Just looking to make sure I made a sound investment after a couple weeks of research. I know a good amount about the components overall but the fork is what is the largest thought right now in my mind. Would the X Caliber 6 be a good deal better than the Wahoo in your guys opinions for the price? Thanks in advance!

Here's a link to both bikes:

2014 X-Caliber 6
    2013 Wahoo 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Both are set up for bike paths because of the fork. The 2014 X-Cal series is no longer hydroformed-- it's now mechanically formed.
    I'm not seeing this as an improvement.
    Last years Mamba is the first bike trail ready.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply, yeah I saw the mamba as well but its a bit out of my comfort zone on price for now. I am planning on sticking with more even trails for now as falling on my head doesn't appeal again yet haha. I figure that when I get to the point of wanting to hit the harder trails of Maybury state park or even Custer in kzoo area I'll more than likely be looking at a new bike again or upgrading the fork to a Reba or similar. Not very familiar with the hydroformed vs mechanical though, thanks for the heads up on this, will have to find out more about that process.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Wahoo, Marlin, Mamba are discontinued but all use the same frame. They should be subject to good sized discounts. Shop around. Mention that they are discontinued.

mtbr member
    If my lbs could get the mamba down to around 800 after taxes I'd definitely go for it as it would only be close to 100 dollars more but all of the ones around this area are pretty hard locked on 839 before taxes which is a great deal yes but still more than I have to spend unfortunately. I'll keep searching and see if they can transfer the deposit to a mamba if I can barter them down a bit more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

We the people ...

For the price of a mamba, i got an xcaliber 6, and had enough to get a deore crankset and rock shox xc32 fork.. i love this bike, especially after buying a marlin that gave me nothing but problems. it got so bad that my LBS actually traded me my "lemon" marlin for the xcaliber 6.

And on the hydroformed vs mechanical issue, Ive heard many people complain about the fact that the xcals are mechanically produced, however, going from the marlin to the xcal, i noticed that the newer frame is much stiffer. the hydroformed frame produced neat lines, but functionally, i trust the xcal frame more than the whaho/marlin/mamba

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If the price is comparable go for the X-Caliber 6... either bike will need wheel & pedal upgrades soon if you ride anything other than beginner trails.